The Diamond Cutters 1,208 members · 1,361 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Telaros
Group Admin

*NEW*Updated Prize Pools: How Prize Tier, Prize Value, and Grand Prize Unlocks Work.

Welcome to The Diamond Refinery Special Events Prize Pool listings and explanations will take place. Please feel free to skip to the sections you want to learn about.

Things I hope to make clear upon completion:
1) Prize Values. How much your Prize is worth and what you're entitled to. (Complete)
2) Prize Tiers and Prize Value Increase Min. and Max. Some are bigger or smaller depending on event. (Complete)
3) Grand Prize Unlocks. (Or, in other words, an Event's Prize Cap.) (Complete)
4) Pony Prize Pool. Examples of Prizes I award from the Pony Prize Pool. (Complete)
5) Non-Pony Prize Pools (Complete)
6) Rules (please see Rules and Regulations sticky here)
7) Limitations (See #6)
8) Physical Prizes and Shipping (Complete)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Prize Value will rise based on total number of qualifying entries. The list of options goes as follows, note that some events will carry a Grand Prize Unlock which will be explained below after Prize Pools:

A Prize Pool is a list of fun stuff that tells you what prizes you can choose from. There are typically 3 Prize Pools, most obvious would be 1st place. 1st Place normally has their pick of anything within the grand list of Pony or Non-Pony related prizes for that Event's Total Prize Pool. Others are 2nd place, and 3rd place Prize Pools. These two have much lower Prize Value compared to 1st place, and limited to fewer selections; 3rd place being restricted to pony-related prizes. You'll be learning more about these Prize Pools below, but first, let's talk Grand Prize Unlockables.

Each Diamond Refinery Event, including the one prior, have an Entry Minimum per prize value increases, and the Grand Prize Unlockable is the maximum Prize Cap for a Refinery Event. Normally, these were kept secret to personally reward and thank people for participating in the event; in the case more people took part in it beyond the minimum prize values presented. This has not turned out quite so well given that even the Raffle, which holds a special mid-range prize, has had little to no interest shown in it as of yet. So, from here on I'll be posting info on Prize Tiers, and Grand Prize Unlocks so people aren't left wondering.

These will change with each event, but below is a general example of the ideal minimum and maximum for increasing the total Prize Value, or PV for short, which I'm free to increase PV or add Runner-Up slots, even if entries are short from their minimum goals if I think it warrants an increase.

Prize Values, Prize Tier Unlocks:
Tier 1 Entries 2-5: Prize Value $20 Max Prize Value (PV). 1st Place Prize Slot only. 1st Place can choose between Grand Prize (if unlocked), or any other Prize Pools, at its allowed Prize Value. No Runner-up awards.

Tier 2 Entries of 7-10: PV Increase $30-$40 PV. Runner-Up 2nd Place Prize Slot Unlocked. 2nd Place receives 50% of 1st Place PV. Example, at this tier it'd be a $15-$20 PV. No 3rd place prize.

Tier 3 Entries of 12-15: PV Increase $50-$75. 3rd Place Runner-Up Prize Slot Unlocked. 3rd Place receives 35% of 1st place or maximum of $40 PV. Restricted to Pony Prize Pools. (This is essentially the ideal standard PV for The Diamond Refinery, which *can* unlock at 10 qualifying entries if I felt entries warrant a PV increase.)

Grand Prize Unlock Minimum of 20 Entries. Max 30. Prize Value is on a per Event basis regardless of entries. For example, one of our Grand Prize Unlock for October is a 2DS with Luigi's Mansion 2 or a Hug me Pony Backpack with Pony Scarf with your choice of any Tsitra360 T-Shirt or print from WeLoveFine.

Note: Pony Grand Prize are not fully finalized and are subject to change. Pony Hug Me Backpack is/was September's "Diamond Tiara's Art & Fic Raffle Bin" part of Raffle end of Month "Judge's Favorite" prize pick, at an Unlock of 15 combined art and fic entries in Raffle Bin.

As you can see, Grand Prizes are not always easy to unlock, but, can be very rewarding the more people participate in them. They do however carry bigger restrictions. Some being limited of course to custom regulations and shipping costs for those outside the U.S. and Canada. Not all prizes will be available in all regions.

Those who wish to receive a prize who live outside of the U.S. or CA *may* have the option to pay for international shipping if they truly want a certain prize. All prizes are free shipping within the U.S. with the exception of selecting various prizes from different stores such as Exclusive Variant MLP Comics from different stores, these actions will result in each store's shipping costs after your first store pick, to eat into your Prize Value.

-----------------------

For those within shipping range and interested in Pony Products:
Winner receives their choice of variants from Hot-Topic or IDW MLP: FiM Comic of main series and a or micro. (If you win you may ask if you qualify for any Larry's Comic Variant issues)

(NOTE:Prize value on how many issues will depend on valid qualifying entries upon final day of tallying all qualifying submissions. Max Prize Value example of normal comics at tier 1: 4-5 Issues of non-Larry exclusives, or 1 Larry's Comic Variant Collector's issue of MLP:FiM.)

A "Hot Topic Vinyl Figure Collectible" such as Rainbow Dash, Derpy, Fluttershy, Lyra, Pinkie Pie, etc.
(Note: Max Value Example of a Tier 1 PV offers 1 Figure of $15-$20.)

For those Interested in Games:
Your choice of Digital Game from Steam or Other Console or Handheld. Those who choose from my Personal Gift Pool on Steam gain $10 to their Prize Value for 1st and 2nd place. My Personal Prize Pool is always open to 3rd place with +$5 added to your Prize Value.

Some Events may offer a brand new Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, 3DS, PS VITA, or PC title as one of the Grand Prize or Runner-Up options for Video game prizes, depending on your awarded Prize Value. Only 1st Place and "Judge's Favorite Pick" are currently eligible for PS4 and Xbox One titles.

Gift Cards are available for Nintendo, Sony, Steam. I've yet to figure out the details, but MS may have done away completely with their gift cards. Sorry. If XBL Gold cards are still an option and within your PV, your free to choose one. Gift Card options for some start as low as $10. Gift Cards are the only other non-pony prize 3rd place are eligible for.

Important: If you own a Console or Handheld, you may have the option to receive a Gift Card instead. If you're a winner of a qualifying $30 or more prize, you'll have the option to search for a game within your prize budget and send me the link. Bestbuy, Amazon, Newegg, Gamestop, GoG.com, or Steam links only. You will be warned if you exceed your PV budget, U.S. and CA residents need not worry about S&H in most cases.

For those looking for Cover Art for your story or just want a picture of your OC: Journey Curl, and Derpii will be glad to take your commissions. Please be sure to make your requests clear and as thought out as possible. I will work with both you and the Artist of choice to get the most of what you're after. Though Derpii and Journey Curl have some good imagination, it's more just to get you the most out of your prize. So don't be afraid to be thorough! because nothing is more aggravating than having to redo a whole commission piece. Take your time and think it through!

Though winners are free to choose other artists that are willing to take on your commissions for the given prize allowance. Be sure to know what you're getting for your prize budget as many do not include even basic backgrounds or offer Hi-Res png, uncompressed originals. Almas and Derpii are currently backers of The Diamond Refinery and so all who choose them are allowed +$5-$10 bonus to your prize value upon choosing this tier option.

Disclaimer: Also, I will not pay more than you've won, anything above the prize budget is your responsibility.

Runner-up Prizes: Prizes for runner-ups will be given a choice of a small prize of Pony or Steam Game to do with as you wish. Possible console subscription or points cards, if eligible, for Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo or Other. No cash will be given for these events. Do not ask for compensation if you choose something that doesn't use up your full prize allowance. Make your choice(s) clear.

Runner-Up(s): Second Place receives 50% of 1st Place Prize Value, or maximum $75 worth Prize Value. Eligible for to choose from either Pony or Non-pony related Prize Pools: Video Games, Time Cards for MMOs or Points card for PS+/XBLG, Art Commissions, T-Shirts, and Pony related Merchandise.

Third Place Runner-Up receives 35% of 1st Place Prize Value, or Maximum $45 Prize Value or Pony related prizes such as MLP Comics, Pony T-shirts, MLP Toys, TCG Booster Pack with a Starter Set, or other accessories.

=============================================================================

Feel free to ask any questions. Prompt will be revealed tomorrow. Stay Tuned!

It's not the prizes that have me fired up though, it's the spirit of le competition! Shoot that prompt, and I'll piledrive it *points finger to the sky* TO THE MOON! *Clenches FIst* SUUUUPLEX!

*cracks knuckles*

Since I have a featured Diamond Tiara fic, I'm in for this. Bring it.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to make time for this tomorrow and show my support for the best filly.

Telaros
Group Admin

1276661 Derpii arts in 3D vision 9_6

Friend who accepted to be part of the artist pool, who I actually provides hi-res images and has experience taking cover art commissions. Not to mention not competing in the contest so it's why they were chosen. The Derp a-hoy! :derpyderp1:

*raises hoof* Ooh, ooh! I have a spare copy of Portal 2 (Steam copy) that I've had for ages! I wouldn't mind offering it up as a prize for the winner :3

Telaros
Group Admin

1276792 lol! I need to slow down more xD
My brain is like a record player. Sometimes it skips! :rainbowlaugh:

1276791 Perhaps make it a raffle for the ones who participate in the readings. i.e. voters! ;3

Telaros
Group Admin

1276721 The more the merrier!

1276634>>1276658>>1276666>>1276791

Gentlemen,

Today we stand united as brothers in best-filly. Let us take this time to revel on the round table as we laugh hearty, feast on mutton and wash away our worries in mead all in the name of the great Empress Diamond Tiara. Revel, my brethren, but be wary. On the morrow, whence my leaves its scabbard, know that I swing its ink-tipped blade, not in jest, but rather in vice. Wrath grants my blade strength, while avarice lends to me direction. We've no need for petty trivialities in the vain of status or envy, and sloth does not become a warrior of the magenta menace's crown. We need nothing more than our word, our integrity, and the grit of which we pride our mettle. Stand vigilant, stand angry, bring your all and leave nothing on the table. Go for broke, gentlemen, I'll see you all on the battle field.

Loathe,
Your Antagonist

Forth! Down fear of criticism! Arise! Arise, Cutters of Diamonds! Quills will be shaken, pages shall be splintered! A pen day... a pink day... and the tiara rises! Write now... write! Write for glory and the wonderful filly! D.T.!

Telaros
Group Admin

As it stands, the first event has essentially passed. While normally this level of entries would not warrant a runner up unless the minimum of 4 entries made the list, I've decided to throw in the runner-up prize for those who put in the effort into qualifying for the event.

As such the Runner-Up will receive the 2nd place prize value totaling one of three options:
1) Two issues of IDW's MLP: FiM comics of your choosing. (i.e. non-special exclusive $20 variants.) Or 2 MLP Blind bags. totaling no more than $10.
2) A steam game within the prize pool valuing $10 dollars or less.
3) A sketch or flat color commission by Derpii over on Deviant Art.

First Place Winner Receives one of the following:
1) 4-5 Main or Micro Issues of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic from IDW, Hot Topic($5.50 an issue), or Amazon in any combination. Or 1 Larry's Comics Collectible Variant where available. Prize for this option will not exceed maximum prize value.
2) One of either Vinyl Figure Collectible: Lyra, Fluttershy, Derpy, Dr. Whooves, etc.
3) A Steam Game of $20 or less.

NOTE: You can all select any issues you want between Micro Series and Main Series Issues. If lesser methods of shipping will allow you to stay within your price range they will automatically be selected.
If you choose a gamer gift or points card please specify which you prefer.
(Disclaimer: Not all prize options were stated here, Runner-Up prize value is half of First Place. First Place is valued at $20. Art commission prizes are bonus $5 to your prize pool to Runner-Up and Main Prize pools of participating artists. Physical Prizes available to places in the US. Stores in English speaking countries that accept PayPal may qualify if they carry available Prizes.)

NOTE ME what you'd prefer. Winners will be announced tonight. See you at midnight!

Telaros
Group Admin

It's coming...

Updated Prize Pools. Much construction ahead. Streamlining ALL the old posts to link through the main Diamond Refinery Sticky.

Also, due to lack of interests, the Diamond Tiara Raffle Bin will be closing down effective immediately. The special cover for the next Special Diamond Refinery event was completed and all preparations are being done to make it a most irresistible event.

There will be cross-group voting and promotions with those relevant to the event. Schedule has not been kind, and people are still adjusting with school and college or possibly burnt out with RL issues. There is going to be a Special Nightmare Night Refinery for October. Look to that. Grand Prize sneak peek somewhere~ in this thread. Try and find it. ;3

With that, I wish you all the best and hope to see you all in October!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17