Star Trek Ponies 503 members · 101 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

http://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-discovery-is-name-of-new-trek-series-featuring-a-new-ship-the-uss-discovery/

Also, the design is one that any super nerdy fan would recognize.

It's based on an old study model for the canceled 70s attempted revival Star Trek: Phase II and said model has been used in the background of various Trek movies and shows for decades.

Still wonder what era it's set in, though the look of the Discovery makes me think either just before or just after TOS.

There's a reason the ship design wasn't used, it wasn't Trek enough. I'll bet you IRL money that the feedback they get over this ship will get them to change it.

It seriously left me going 'meh'.

I'm a side note, that looks a lot like a Tholian out post...

Pre-TOS. The registry is NCC-1031. BY comparison, the Enterprise is NCC-1701 and the USS Constellation from 'The Doomsday Machine' was NCC-1017

There's a reason the ship design wasn't used, it wasn't Trek enough.

Except it was. You can see it at space dock in Star Trek III, the debris field at Wolf 359, and in the Qualar II Yards in the TNG two part episode 'Reunification'.

It seriously left me going 'meh'.

I take it as a good sign, only someone that's both incredibly nerdy and a massive fan of the franchise on the writing/design staff would even think to use that model when it's so easy to design a new one.

I'm a side note, that looks a lot like a Tholian out post...

In all fairness, there's only so many ways to build a dry dock in an asteroid.

What I meant by the design not being Trek enough is that it didn't fit the design aesthetic that was long established during the TOS. It also looks too generic sci-fi.

There is going to be a backlash from a majority of fans (A lot of people I play STO with in the UFP fleet also share this opinion) over this design.

Hell, it looks more Klingon than Starfleet. It looks more like a D7 battle cruiser with a frisbee tacked on.

The Die hard fans will like it. The average fans, who make up 90% of the Trek fanbase, will not, regardless of the fact that it's been used in the background in the past.

Also, that CGI... it was terrible. Enterprise and the later seasons of Voy/DS9 had better CGI than that trailer. This was obviously rushed, and most likely, to gauge public opinion.

As for the asteroid base.... (Screencap from Enterprise mirror universe episode)

What I meant by the design not being Trek enough is that it didn't fit the design aesthetic that was long established during the TOS. It also looks too generic sci-fi.
There is going to be a backlash from a majority of fans (A lot of people I play STO with in the UFP fleet also share this opinion) over this design.

I don't know, she still has the Saucer section and the dish. From a certain point of view, one could see the odd engineering section design as as a way to 'beef up' the nacelle pylons.
No idea about STO though, I don't play it. Mostly because they stopped supporting MacOS back in October.

Hell, it looks more Klingon than Starfleet. It looks more like a D7 battle cruiser with a frisbee tacked on.
The Die hard fans will like it. The average fans, who make up 90% of the Trek fanbase, will not, regardless of the fact that it's been used in the background in the past.

I can sort of see your point. Except the Klingon part.

As for the asteroid base....

Show of hands, who didn't nerdgasm during that episode?

I can sort of see your point. Except the Klingon part.

:facehoof: :rainbowhuh: :ajbemused:

Going by the registry number, its Pre-TOS, but after Enterprise.

5379714 I kinda like it! I didn't expect that fans would hate on it already. It's refreshingly chunky and distinctive, and actually looks like a plausibly "old" Federation design. That was what I always wanted and didn't get out of Enterprise; for all that that series purported to be pre-TOS, the NX-01 just looked like every Federation starship we'd seen in the 24th century, nothing original or distinctive in the design.

People said the same thing about the Defiant and the Enterprise D when they first came out.

5380215 I still maintain that the Galaxy be an ugly ship. Defiant is pretty kay tho.

the NX-01 just looked like every Federation starship we'd seen in the 24th century, nothing original or distinctive in the design.

You mean the Akira-prise?

5380228 Yup! It doesn't help that the Akira-class is a far more pleasing design by virtue of its size and modernity (the proportions just look "right"). The NX-01 is just... it feels like a thing, not a ship. It's generic and featureless (by design) and I find it difficult to convince myself that it is a living space for a number of humanoids and a dog.

The creators said early on that they wanted to give NX-01 a "submarine" kind of feel, which is their justification for the interior design, but I think the outside should have reflected this too. It should have been bulky, ungainly, a first draft; less refinement, more contingency. I feel like that's what we're getting here with the USS Discovery Channel Discovery.

Ship looks, awkward to me. Not sure why. Think it's the triangle like part.

As for the NX, think, if any here played the newest expansion of Star Trek Online, when I saw the Temporal Ranger Battlecruiser and saw it from the top it reminded me of the NX class a bit. Here http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ranger_Temporal_Battlecruiser

Personally, the ship looks like a very bad design. They would be better off going with a ship design already made or pick one from Star Trek online like the Excaliber, making it both new and iconic at the same time, but that's me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17