Changelings and You 147 members · 137 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

I'll get straight to the point.

Most fics I've read put the changeling society to a negative light. I see them often being one era back in technology, using feral and primal societal forms, corrupt to the bone governments e.t.c.

Generally I see changelings used as an excuse for people to go all "Darker and Edgier". While I am not necessarily against it I've grown bored of reading the casual "Changeling society is bad/hive mind oppression" fics that depict the ponies as saints in comparison and generally put the ponies at the feet of "Pony Master Race" while the changelings in general are pictured as Chrysalis's
"Henchmen" "Servant race" or "Clone Army" call them whatever you want. Giving the excuse for the few "Special little snowflakes" to deviate and lead the way to the merciful ponies.

Now this isn't a thread about how about you're wrong or stuff. In fact there are fics out there that are quite interesting to read in that perspective, and I certainly don't shut myself from reading them. But at times... I get tired.

So I am looking for something "Interesting" per say... to read. I am looking for stories, or at least YOUR interpretation of a changeling society that is admirable.

Do they practice philosophy? Arts? Do they use the hivemind as a family? Does solidarity work with them? Are the changelings superior and why?

When you respond to this thread do reply to this post so i get notifications. I will also likely copypaste this thread somewhere else.

3975202 We don't really have much canon to go with, and before the only picute is Chrysalis invading Canterlot.
Thankfully, now we have the changeling invited and attending a Wedding in Ponyville.

On the other hoof, if you prefer stories where they are lighted as positive, I do have a few.
This includes where they have a cherry garden in traditional Japanese style.
I have several other stories featuring Changelings, even some with their society in focus.

I also came across a story named, or about a changeling named Pupa.

Does this mean you post the thread on other groups on the subject/topic?

4618640 I've read the cherry fic and if you mean Magic Man's Pupa I've read that too.

And yes this is an old thread I've posted to several groups.

4618644 Can't recall the name of the story, right now.

Some threads may deserve a repose, from time to time, or in a new group.

I do miss reading the date on the threads from time to time.

4618723 Yea it's okay. If you can rememeber later that's fine.

4618727 I think I found the story in my library section under Changelings; Pupa-chan.
Sometime, all it takes is a bit of digging in the old archives.

4618745 I've read that. Plus Maternal instinct.

4618749 I think it was fun, when I did read it.

If you enjoyed it, and my stories in general; I do have a few more Changeling related once.

If you have a link, I think I could enjoy looking into it. Could enjoy a new story right about now, I think.

I need something new from time to time.

4618838 It's by the same author.

Diamond Sparkle
Group Contributor

I see their societies as varying according to the Queen. One Queen might be military minded like Queen Chrysalis and have a Spartan society, another might be much more easy going. All require love gathering in some way, and all or nearly all are distrustful of other races, perhaps with good reason.

4618844 Same author as which story? the Pupa-Chan?

4619623 Uhuh...
4621194 Yea. Magic Made Maternal Instinct.

4621232 Then I can find it via his page, via the previous story?
4619623 The fact that Changelings are depending on the other Species, would make it natural for the distrust.
Particularly the way they were suposed to be, going by what was said about them.

Maybe another Queen is like Celestia?

I have stories where the Queens are vastly different from the Chrysalis we were presented with.
In one case, she invited Ponies and others for a special occasion, in other cases, the Queen deal with this in yet other ways.
Infiltration seems a more comfortable means, much safer, since you don't confront any Pony at any point.

4621341 http://www.fimfiction.net/story/66500/maternal-instinct Come on man bottom left there are three categories. Also liked, something something, author. Click author.

4621348 Ah, there's the direct link.
More fun with Chrysalis and Pupa, by the looks of it.
He could have used the counter for the chapters, and preferably named the chapters?

I hope the longer chapters keeps me within, since that could be a problem, otherwise.
If only we could add pages to the chapters?

4621367 Fun? Fun? AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAh seriously prepare to shed tears and curse your fate for reading this.

4621398 the story is good, this far at least.
I guess it is a matter of an expression.

There are a few hints towards not everything being up and up for the two. Poor Pups-Chan.
Well, they don't hide her away entirely.

Something NEW to enjoy, for as long as the story lasts, I hope.

Oh, and now I need to dig up a few of my own stories on Changelings and Chrysalis as well.

4622937 Aside from a few details, and the Discord event, I like the story.

4623008 no, not quite yet.
I am at 13, by now.
I make my best to ignore a few details that goes against the story, though.

4623059 Now I kind of hope for sequals on the story, both on Pupa and Chrysalis/Hive perspectives.

Even if the story got a kind of an end, it did not exactly end at the conclusion of their respective adventures.

I would like to see how they end up, whast happen to them and what will become out of them.

Maybe I have too many ideas, revolving around what is ultimately going down for Queen Chrysalis?
Most of the ideas gives her some kind of a nice ending, even if I guess I may have a few scenarios that may not end quite so well for her.

4628275 I've talked with the author but you better comment and ask as well. I don't think he plans a continuation of it.

4628277 Oh, you have?
Since the story stated that it was concluded, it would be better with a sequel, than hope for this to continue. Besides, I am not sure it was right to prolong this story in the directions I was hoping for.
Most would enjoy a few comments, particularly if they express interest in the story and what happens to the characters.
I should dig up the link and send him a comment or two to the effect.

3975202 the changelings in my 'verse are on-par with pony society, and in some cases ahead. Neighpon (the changeling homeland) is a high producer of Copper, and the North Island (the center of the Changeling Empire) can accurately be called "steampunk". But they're still very traditional, and most changelings live in town/villages that would seem at home in the medieval ages (Changeling Keep, aka Chrysalis' home in Equestria), a Middle-Earth Elven Village (Ambrosia's kingdom in the Everfree, Glittershell's kingdom in the caverns under the Crystal Empire), or, oddly, within a dystopic setting (Miasma's palace in the Manehattan sewer system), though all retain some sort of architectural design that is vaguely Neighpon-ish

4628870 Mostly because of Magic Man's fics, such as Maternal Instinct and Citizen Weevil. He goes with the "changelings lay eggs" theory, and changelings apparently go through a sort of adorable "grub" stage, but the hive-mind/eusocial insect parallels are absent. all changelings are fertile, and Chrysalis only looks different from the others seen in the show because she's a female changeling, which in his 'verse are larger and more aggressive than the males.

Obviously it defers from mine on several points (varying phenotypes produce the long-legged "royals" or common changelings, though a "royal" body type doesn't mean you're important, just that you're taller, my changelings are 100% equine mammals, etc...) but his in-depth look into their society in both his fics and his blogs make a compelling case.

and rest assured, the Kirin are maintaining on Neighpon's more traditionally Neighponese South Island

4628894 So... what nation would the changelings be?

4628937 Neighponese, but to varying degrees depending on the kingdom

You see, my Neighpon consists of a few islands, with 4 main ones:

North Neighpon- Capital, home to large cities, mostly changeling-populated

South Neighpon- more like Feudal Japan in design and culture, but without all the warring, mostly kirin-populated

West Neighpon- Mix between Neighponese, Carrean (Korean), and Ib'xian (Vietnamese) culture, no species makes a huge majority

Foal Island- Home to Queen Mothra Lea (Mothra is a title for female rulers on this island, Battra is for males) and her subjects

4628962 Do you have Skype? Add me dionysiosbbbb I want to brainstorm some stuff.

4629007 My Skype's stupid, it says I need a new computer to get the new version, but i'd be happy if we could PM

4629353 that is ok. Its just instant messages is convenient.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35