Lyra 841 members · 463 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Hey there! I'm not sure how many of you have heard about The Magic Continues at this point, but we are doing a set of stories set right before Twilight's coronation, and I ended up being the writer for an episode focusing on Lyra. As much as I enjoy her, I realized I don't have a huge amount of experience writing her, and especially not with interacting with people who are really into her as a character. I'm somewhat familiar with the official material of her, but I wanted to make sure I had some input from the fans themselves before I tried to tackle this thing.

If there were an official episode focusing on Lyra, what would you want to see in it? Does anypony here have a headcanon about her that you think should be incorporated? What do you guys think about Lyra and humans? Is that still a thing people joke about? What do you think Lyra's domestic life is like? Just, general ideas about what y'all would like would be appreciated.

Like I said, I just wanted to get some thoughts from the community before I really delved into this episode. Thanks in advance!

In some of my stories I have portrayed her as a carefree, fun loving and sometimes silly character....the type of character that a majority of people would like. She does tease some, light hearted of course. These are the stories where I had the most fun writing her.

TFluttershy's First Date
After being unable to pay her bill to the local dentist, Fluttershy is given an option to clear her bill and it is a very unconventional option. Fluttershy, despite having great friends, is lonely and decides to take the dentist up on her offer.
StormLuna · 6.6k words  ·  26  10 · 1.2k views
TReady for Commitment
Fluttershy and Colgate have been dating for six months and while they are both happy, Colgate realizes that she is ready to be more than marefriends with her and will do anything to make sure she says yes when she asks her the big question.
StormLuna · 21k words  ·  18  21 · 649 views

Now I did write one where she is human obsessed too....but she isn't as likeable in that fic.

EThe Adventure of Two Sisters
Colgate is bored, very bored. She decides to journey into the Everfree Forest and discovers a portal to a different world from an earlier time. She discovers something that not only she, but her sister would want.
StormLuna · 21k words  ·  21  7 · 951 views

Well, don't forget that Bon-Bon and her were canonically married at that point. I would point you to a fic of mine, but they play very minor roles so you'd be reading a lot, for very little information. However, I always wrote them both like this:

Lyra is impulsive; she says things without fully thinking them through and tends to be a bit too blunt at times that require tact. However, she's fast to realize her mistake and apologizes, often offering a sensible balm to an otherwise bad situation. She is a hopeless romantic, with very flowery views on love and passion. Her relationship with Bon-Bon is deeply loving and she would give her wife the moon and sun if she could. She also gave her the pet-name "Bonnie." She does still have her fascination with humans, but I kept it on the backburner.

Bon-Bon is practical; she is a gardener on the side and often compares problems to her garden. She sings to the flowers and talks to them, giving her a slightly motherly appearance without actually being a mother. She is more tactful than her wife and is a good foil to her normal bluntness. She is the calm, reserved type, sharing in Lyra's passion for their marriage and loving every second of it. Where Lyra is flowery and expressive when discussing the topic of love, Bon-Bon is practical, but realistic -- love isn't something that you can just push or understand easily. It's complicated, and Bon-Bon understands that.

Feel free to use those personalities if you like. I know a good handful of people who loved their characterization in my fic and thought they were precious. Sorry about all the heavy weight on love, but the fic is a romance and these two turned out to be the character's go-to for relationship advice.

If I were in your shoes, I would write a chapter about the two of them, I'd lean heavily into the concept of them being newlyweds. Perhaps on their honeymoon?

This is decent feedback, though I think I should mention that this episode actually centers around Lyra and Bonbon getting married, with a plot about how Bonbon, being a secret agent used to making and executing complex plans, gets carried away with planning when she has Lyra's enthusiasm level.

Well, that's sound enough. Having her be methodical and practical, while also going nuts from over-planning is ripe with potential. Especially if it's established early on that she's the collected one in the couple; that'll make her descent into OCD freakout all the funnier. I can just imagine Lyra walking into a room -- likely to ask about some small detail or something -- and Bon-Bon having one of those classic "Spider Webs" of pictures and red string, but it's all for planning the wedding, pacing around the room and mumbling to herself about it all has to be perfect. Hah!

She'd be Twilighting, if Twilight were a secret agent. It's beautiful.

Like I said, feel free to use any of the ideas from my fic. If you want to see them in action and don't mind skipping chapters, Lyra and Bon-Bon feature predominantly in the following chapters of it:

Chapter 10: Rediscovering Destiny -- A little ways into the chapter is where they pop up.

and

Chapter 12: The Argument -- They're in the opening of this chapter and last a little while. After the first line-break, skip ahead to the second one to skip over the flashback and get to the next scene with the pair.

All the other chapters they're in are either too brief to go into, or are mostly just cameos. These two chapters show the personalities I've built for them, and give you a better idea of what I mean with my descriptions.

There's actually an exchange in there that's like...
Spike: "Surprising, considering you're usually the straight-colt to her antics."
Bonbon: "But Spike, I've never been either of those things!"

Bon-Bon having one of those classic "Spider Webs" of pictures and red string, but it's all for planning the wedding, pacing around the room and mumbling to herself about it all has to be perfect.

Holy buck, that's definitely going in the script! XD

Anyway, glad y'all are liking this concept. It shows the episode has potential. :3

Any more ideas on how to characterize Lyra?

Nope, I think you've got it. What I said prior was solid for you. Do you have any specific questions about her?

Also, that line is pure gold.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7