• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Responsible Grownup Education

Main Characters: Starlight
Cameos: Apple Bloom, Applejack, The Cakes, Flitter, Allie Way
Original Start Date: June 21, 2013


Starlight grades a stack of papers in the library after dinner. Apple Bloom reshelves books. Suddenly, the young stallion bolts upright.

‘I have the most brilliant idea ever!’ Starlight declares.

Apple Bloom groans. ‘This won’t end well.’

Applejack stares at her mobile. ‘Parent’s night? Hmm. That seems like a good way t’ see how yer doin’.’

‘Mo~~m!’ Satsuma moans.

‘Oh, hush. It’ll be good t’ see what Starlight’s teachin’ ya and t’ meet with the other parents.’

The young colt moans again.

‘Ah’m goin’ and that’s final.’

Satsuma groans, ‘Yes, mom.’

Rei giggles as she holds her mobile to her ear. She uses her wings to create a small cocoon of privacy. ‘That will be great. She’ll be so excited that you can make it. … See you soon.’

Rei hangs up and trots out of her room smiling.

Inkie stares at her wife. ‘What are you..?’

‘Nothing!’

Inkie rolls her eyes and goes back to what she was doing.

After school, all the students talk about the upcoming parent’s night while they pack their saddlebags. Most are worried about their parents embarrassing them or finding something out something they have kept secret. Pumpkin, Pound and Summer Rain are excited, but Satsuma and Razzly are feeling down.

‘I heard back from most of your parents already,’ Starlight announces. ‘Looks like we will have a packed house. Hope the rest can make it.’

‘What’s the point?’ Razzly mopes. ‘You’ll be seeing Rei or Inkie. My parents are too busy.’

‘At least you don’t have to worry about your grades getting out,’ the dark pink Sakura Sweets complains. ‘My dad doesn’t think I study enough already. No way I’ll get a weekend free this summer after he finds out how I did on the last exam.’

‘You just have to bowl them over with your winning personality,’ a light green unicorn colt with an electric blue mane replies, grinning.

The fillies groan.

‘Never get jokes from your mother again, Moonlight,’ Razzly huffs.

Pound laughs. ‘Bowl them over. Good one.’

‘I don’t see what you are so excited about,’ Sakura snorts.

‘Mom and dad are going to be out of the shop all night,’ the colt replies, beaming. ‘That gives me all the time I need to experiment.’

Pumpkin rolls her eyes. ‘They both don’t have to go for both of us. One can stay home.’

Pound stares at his sister. ‘They can what now?’

‘Don’t worry,’ Summer Rain giggles. ‘You are both too much for one parent to handle. I’m sure it will work out.’

Satsuma groans as he stands up. ‘Anypony want to do anything? I want to actually have some good memories of tonight.’

‘You’re the best student. What are you afraid of?’

‘I am not worried about my grades or my attendance. Nor am I worried about my mother fussing over me. I am worried about...’

‘Hey, little bro,’ Starlight interrupts. ‘Should I wear this “My parents travelled through time for five hundred years and all I got was a little brother from another mother” shirt later or not?’

‘... that.’

‘Oh, he’s fine. That is what brothers do,’ Sakura replies.

‘Trade you brothers,’ Pumpkin offers.

‘Hey!’ Pound complains.

‘Throw in a cake and it is a deal,’ Satsuma accepts.

‘Hey!’ Pound pouts. ‘Trade you sisters.’

‘Which one?’ the other colt asks. ‘The one that will eat your entire store or the one that will eat the entire store and has a wife?’

‘Either, as long as she is nicer than the one I have.’

Pumpkin punches her brother in the leg. The pegasus bonks his sister on the head. Before they can start fighting, Starlight teleports them away.

‘Okay. Okay. You should get going,’ the teacher sighs. ‘Apple Bloom should be here any moment to help set up.’

Satsuma tenses up. ‘You and Apple Bloom here together.’

‘Not like that,’ the older brother groans. ‘Now get going.’

The foals moan and leave the schoolhouse. Apple Bloom trots up as they trot away. She waves at the foals as they pass. Satsuma waves back, while avoiding eye contact with his aunt. The mare sighs.

‘We’re gonna have t’ tell mah sister sometime.’

‘Or not. That works.’ Starlight looks away nervously. ‘Anyway! We have to get set up for the big night.’

Apple Bloom moans. ‘This will not end well...’

‘Trust me. I’m a genius. This is perfect. The foals love me. The parents will love me too. It is only natural.’

Apple Bloom rolls her eyes and gets to work.

Razzly sighs as she helps her aunt make a batch of ice cream. Lemon keeps watching the door while mixing. She smiles when the door opens.

‘Better go help them out,’ Razzly sighs.

‘Actually, you should handle this one,’ Lemon replies. ‘It will get your mind off things.’

Razzly goes out to the front of the shop, staring at the ground. ‘Welcome to Pinkie’s Party Planning and Diamond Consulting,’ the filly greets. ‘How may I help you?’

‘Yes, we are here to look into our daughter’s future,’ a mare replies.

A stallion adds, ‘We definitely want to celebrate seeing her, too.’

Razzly looks up. Stormy and Trixie smile down at her.

‘Mom! Dad!’ The filly gallops over and hugs her parents. ‘What are you doing here?’

‘Rei invited us,’ Stormy replies.

‘She said Starlight was hosting some sort of parents night at school, and we just had to come,’ Trixie adds.

‘Thanks. This means a lot.’

‘Anything for my Razzle Dazzle.’

Stormy looks towards the back. ‘Thanks for watching Razzleberry for us.’

Lemon smiles. ‘It is only a couple times a week. Most of the time, she is playing with her friends and taking magic lessons.’

‘I learned a lot of... I learned a few...’ Razzly frowns. ‘Why the heck does Starlight try teaching us teleportation? Was Twilight Sparkle like that too?’

‘Definitely,’ her mother replies.

‘Not really,’ Stormy says.

Trixie glares at her husband.

‘You had to know her well enough,’ the stallion says.

Trixie snort, then turns to her daughter. ‘We’re going to have to catch up later tonight or tomorrow. Right now, I believe we have a meeting to get to.’

Razzly nods. ‘Have fun! I know you’ll love Starlight. He’s the best!’

The parent hug their daughter and head off. Razzly squeals and hugs her aunt.

‘My parents are here!’

‘Now you see why we were making all this ice cream?’

‘Let’s hurry and finish it so we can have it when they get back!’

Razzly gallops back to the kitchen. Lemon laughs and follows.

Starlight smiles are he trots in front of his class. His students’ parents watch the teacher. They are seated at their foals’ desks. Trixie signs some autographs for fans before turning her attention to the front of the class. Apple Bloom sits behind the desk, keeping an eye on the class.

‘Thank you all for coming out,’ Starlight greets. ‘I am Starlight Sparkle, your foal’s teacher. I am certain you have heard great things about me. I am honored to meet all of you. This is just a simple informal meeting where we can talk about your foals, their experiences in class, anything that might help me help them learn better. But first, I believe we should...’

‘I have a question about the last exam,’ a stallion states.

‘Ah, yes. The exam grades. On average, all the students have been getting higher grades, even with my attempts to make the exams more difficult. I believe it is because...’

‘One of the answers says that Princess Celestia is not divine.’

‘Uh, yeah. That’s just simple facts. The cult that praises her for her alleged divinity was formed shortly after the defeat of Discord. She never directly acknowledged the claims, nor has she endorsed the belief. In recent years, the number of adherents have been slowly dwindling while her so-called divinity is seen more as a product of her longevity and mastery of magic. She is on the record, not just with both my parents, that she enjoys the ceremonial role more the religious one some force upon her.’

‘... But you are saying she isn’t divine.’

Starlight rolls his eyes. ‘Anyway, we haven’t even done introductions yet so...’

‘Excuse me,’ a parent interrupts. ‘There was a special topic Cheerilee was going to cover before her promotion. I was wondering when you were going to cover it.’

‘Oh? What topic is it? I am pretty sure I have adapted her old lesson plans...’

‘Um...’ The parent looks away and coughs. ‘When are you giving the sex-ed lecture?’

Starlight turns bright red. ‘Never.’ He shakes his head. ‘That is an optional unit for this education level, according to the standards. I am picking the option where I don’t cover it.’

‘What? You mean we have to talk to our kids about sex ourselves?’

Carrot Cake groans. ‘It is not that bad. It can be a little awkward, but it is better than the alternative.’

‘That’s insane!’ a mare gasps. ‘You have to cover the subject.’

Starlight shakes his head more. ‘Nope. The rules don’t say I have to, so I am not going to teach it.’

‘Why not?’ a cream unicorn mare with blue mane questions.

The young stallion kicks at the ground then looks at Apple Bloom. She is blushing redder than her mane. The young mare nods. Applejack raises an eyebrow.

Starlight takes a deep breath. ‘A little while back, Apple Bloom came to see me after school. One thing led to another, and she had me on my desk.’ -- Applejack facehoofs -- ‘We thought everything was okay, but then we noticed Satsuma had come back to get a book he left.’ -- Applejack groans -- ‘We sorta had to give my little brother, her nephew, an impromptu biology lesson... Sorry, Applejack...’

‘He probably knew from all the books he’s read, but Ah was gonna talk with him when he was old enough...’

‘I’m really sorry...’

‘How come her kid gets special treatment?’ a mare argues. ‘If you gave her kid a lesson, then what about ours?’

‘Um, that is why I don’t...’

‘You’re a very irresponsible teacher for favoring one student over the others.’

‘Of course the student gets favoritism, he is his brother.’

‘It is as bad as his father when he would fill in for Cheerilee. Always giving foals weird lessons and not teaching them the important things.’

‘Exactly. He is not fulfilling the wishes of the parents and looking after the students’ best interests.’

‘Good thing we are here to keep him in line.’

The parents keep discussing Starlight’s flaws. The young stallion sighs and stares at the ground while they berate him.

Starlight sits in the basement of the schoolhouse. He wipes tears from his eyes. Boxes of old supplies and some old printing equipment are stacked around him. The young stallion sighs as he sits on an old desk. A cape is levitated around his shoulders.

‘I think the problem was when the crowd turned on you,’ Trixie comments.

‘Thanks, Trixie,’ Starlight snorts.

The mare laughs. ‘Now, you are sounding like your mother.’ She looks the sullen stallion over. ‘Now... Acting more like her, what was your first mistake?’

‘I went in assuming they would be as impressed with me as their foals are.’

Trixie nods. ‘Parents aren’t interested in the same thing as foals. They want somepony to blame for their mistakes. Your refusal to do an unpleasant task and desire to put the truth ahead of beliefs made you the perfect scapegoat.’

‘Just wait until I get into the complexities of pony evolution.’

The mare laughs. ‘Good to see the teacher learning lessons too.’ She takes her cape back. ‘Now, you will have plenty of time to wallow in your failure later, and I am certain your superiors will want to have words with you as well.’

‘You know, you are wonderful at pep talks.’

Trixie smiles and goes to the door. ‘I am really enjoying hearing your mother in you. And if you are done sulking like after the time I beat her in a magic duel...’

‘Didn’t you cheat?’

‘That is a matter of opinion!’ The mare snorts angrily. ‘Do you want to finish your meeting or not?’

‘I thought it was over already.’

‘Hmpf. Your mother grew out of that defeatist attitude a lot easier than you did. Follow me~!’

Starlight groans and follows Trixie out of the basement to the main room. A dozen parents are still at their foals’ desks, chatting with each other. Applejack is having a talk with her embarrassed sister.

‘What are you still doing here?’ the teacher asks.

‘About time you get back,’ Stormy huffs. ‘I think we left off at introductions. I am Stormy. You are with my wife Trixie.’ -- Trixie clears her throat. Stormy rolls his eyes -- ‘I mean, The Great and Powerful Countess Trixie Lunamoon.’

‘Thank you,’ Trixie giggles as she joins her husband. ‘We are the parents of Razzly.’

Applejack stand. ‘Ah am Applejack. Ah think ya know Ah’m the ma fer yer brother Satsuma.’

The Cakes stand. ‘I am Carrot Cake, and this is my wife Cup Cake. We’re Pumpkin’s and Pound’s parents.’

The cream unicorn stands. ‘I am Allie Way, mother of Moonlight Strike. I hope we can get a lot discussed before we have to split.’

Everypony groans at the joke.

A gold-grey pony stands. ‘I am Golden Grape, or Colton Vines, to some. My daughter Sakura Sweets is in your class right now. My son Green Kerner starts next semester.’

A pegasus poses. ‘Name’s Flitter, head of the Ponyville weather team. Summer Rain just loves your class. And I’ll smack anypony who disagrees with her.’

The other parents continue their introductions. Starlight laughs, trots to the front of the class and gets the parents night he wanted.

Author's Note:

Satsuma Timeline: His brother and aunt had to explain the 'birds and the bees' to him before the parent's night due to him catching them 'in the act'. This is similar to how TWP and Applejack had to give Apple Bloom the talk due to a similar situation.

Story Event: The title is a reference to Young Adult Education, when TWP, Rarity and Marvel Crystal went to parent's night for Rei, Stormy and Image Crystal respectively.

Also, the parents seen at the end are the ones with named children that will appear throughout the series.

Fun Fact: Starlight's inability to deal with that subject is genetic.

PreviousChapters Next