• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,338 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,338

PreviousChapters Next
Father’s Day

Main Characters: James, Presea, Juliet, Satsuma, Rei, Starlight, Del
Cameos: Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Scootaloo
Original Start Date: March 17, 2015


‘Mom. Wake up!’ Juliet calls. ‘Eat br-fast, Mom.’

Pinkie Pie yawns and looks around groggily. She has a very elaborate breakfast in front of her, complete with both pancakes and waffles, fresh fruit from across Equestria and several kinds of juice. Juliet stares at her mother, waiting for her to dig in. Presea takes another pancake from the large stack and starts munching on it.

‘Happy br-fast, mom!’ Juliet cheers.

Presea raises her forelegs in cheer too, but she keeps eating.

Pinkie takes a waffle. ‘Girls, you know you're not allowed in the kitchen without a grownup. How did you make all this?’

Juliet looks at her sister then back to her mom. ‘We love mom.’

‘Well, they had some help,’ a new voice adds.

Pinkie sits up to see who else is in the room. She spots James sitting at a desk with a small meal of his own.

‘Good morning, Pinkie,’ the stallion greets.

Presea finishes her pancake and cheers, ‘Da!’

‘James? What are you doing here?’

Juliet goes over to her father who picks her up. ‘Taking the day off and decided to see my kids,’ he explains. He gives one of his waffles to Juliet. ‘Since I knew I'd be stopping by, I came here first to make you all breakfast.’

‘Shouldn't you be doing princy or ministery things instead?’ Pinkie asks before eating an entire bowl of berries.

‘Well, I did have a press conference the other day...’
...

James stands at a podium, in front of a microphone. ‘Have you tried turning it off and on? Next question.’
...

‘Anyway!’ the stallion exclaims, dodging the question. ‘I have a favor to ask you.’

‘Sure. What is it?’

‘Well, since I'm going to be in town for the day, mind if I take Presea and Juliet with me?’

Juliet's jaw drops at hearing the request. She immediately drops her waffle and hops around the room shouting, ‘Dad!’

James calmly places a pancake on his daughter's head, confusing and silencing her. ‘So, what do you say?’

‘I guess it is okay...’ Pinkie replies. ‘They seem to be happy to spend time with you.’

‘Excellent!’ James stands. He places his girls on his back, Presea climbing to her dad's head to get a better view and making room for her sister. ‘I'll have them back before dinner. Toodles!’

James marches out of the bedroom, carrying his daughters. Pinkie just laughs and finishes her breakfast.

James trots through Ponyville with his daughters still on his back. Juliet munches on a slightly-purple pancake. James enters the bazaar and spots a familiar face setting up shop. He slips behind a stall for a moment and whispers something to his daughters before slipping back into the crowd and sneaking up on the pony.

‘Mista.’ ‘Purp!’ Presea and Juliet say.

Applejack turns around to see father and daughters laughing like silly ponies. She sighs and shakes her head. ‘Been a while since somepony called me that,’ she chuckles.

James sets the twins at the stall and gives Applejack a small hug. ‘Come by the castle more. I'm sure I can order a guard or several to say it.’

Applejack shakes her head. ‘Nope. 'Sides, what brings ya here?’

‘Isn't it obvious? I'm spending the day with my kids.’ He motions to where he set the twins. They have wandered off and are digging through Applejack's stock.

Presea sniffs an apple. ‘Mals.’

‘Pinks must be happy t' have 'em off her hooves fer a bit. Jus' don' let 'em too far outa yer sight.’

‘Oh, what's the worst that can happen?’

Juliet starts tossing an apple in the air, trying to juggle it.

James looks around expectingly. ‘Anyway, is my son around? I did say I was trying to spend the day with my kids. All of my kids.’

‘If he doesn' want extra chores fer a month, he should be at school right now.’

‘I think I can bust him out.’ He leans in close. ‘I know somepony in the Education Department.’

Applejack glares at the stallion. ‘Ya ain't takin' our son from school and that's final.’

James shrugs. ‘Worth a shot. It's been about a decade or so since Twi or I did any hooves on parenting. Figure I might as well help where I can since I seem to have more children than I thought.’

‘That's good o' ya, Ah guess. Jus' don' get too disappointed if thin's don' always work out well.’

James nods. ‘Fix everything using time travel. Got it.’

Applejack glares, again.

‘Oh, it is not like I'm going to run off for another five hundred years. I might be a mere lad of eight hundred or so, but my adventuring days are over. I'm in more of a "family-focused slice of life comedy" mode right now until I have to switch to "wacky grandpa" mode.’

There is a small crash from the stall. The twins are fighting about reorganizing the apples. Juliet has hers arranged by appearance while Presea's are by type.

‘Dad! She cheat!’ Juliet complains.

‘Lie!’ Presea argues.

James picks up his two daughters. ‘Okay. Enough apples for now. If you have too many, Theta might not show up anymore.’

The fillies snort and look away from each other as they settle on their father's back.

‘Now, say "bye" to your Aunt AJ.’

‘Bye, AJ,’ the twins sigh.

Applejack laughs. ‘See ya 'round. Don' be strangers.’

‘See ya,’ James replies, heading away. ‘Watch out. Twilight will want to get together soon.’

‘Ah look forward t' it!’ Applejack calls, cleaning up her stall.

‘Mom should never have given you that card,’ Starlight complains as his father sets his sister on his desk.

Starlight's class watches as their new guest writes his and his daughters' names on the board. Satsuma smiles, happy to see his dad again. The Cakes watch the Pies, ready to bolt at the first sign of trouble.

‘Oh, you're just being fussy,’ James sighs. ‘You used to love spending time with your parents. Spending a day playing video games with me. Making your mom play dress up with you.’ He laughs. ‘You looked so silly in her crown.’ He shrugs. ‘But it went with her dress, so it is all good.’

The class laughs at their teacher's behavior.

‘Picsoritdidn'thappen!’ Satsuma shouts.

Starlight looks at his brother and snorts. ‘You're just jealous because I looked fabulous.’ His mobile buzzes and he turns back to his father. ‘And posting four hundred pics on Twitter won't change it.’

James laughs. ‘I guess not.’ He turns to the class. ‘Hope you're enjoying the family comedy act. In case you're wondering, yes, I am Starlight's father, and I'm just here to see my kids for a bit. Speaking of, those are my lovely daughters Presea and Juliet.’

James motions to Starlight's desk. Presea is making notes in one of Starlight's books. Juliet is quietly staring at the Cake twins, making them sweat.

‘And while I'm disrupting your class,’ James continues,‘who wants to hear embarrassing stories about your teacher?’

All of the students, even Freya, raise their hooves.

Satsuma aims his mobile at his father while the first story starts. ‘This is the best lecture ever.’

Inkie clears the table after lunch, allowing Rei and her father to keep chatting. Presea keeps playing with her chopsticks while her twin begs to sit on her dad's lap.

‘Very wonderful meal, Rei,’ her father compliments. ‘I haven't had that much Neighponese food since Twi and I saved that lunar denizen.’

‘She insists on eating for two,’ Inkie explains, trying to take a chopstick from Presea. ‘Two of her. Before she is even pregnant.’

‘Caco~!’ Presea moans, trying to keep her toy.

Inkie stops fighting and looks at James. ‘And you're her father, maybe you know why my niece keeps calling me that.’

James laughs. ‘You'll figure it out soon enough.’ He gives Rei an affectionate gesture to the head. ‘Speaking of soon enough, when is your next appointment with your doctor?’

Rei cuddles against her father. ‘Not until next week. They are still testing my cells for complications since I came from another universe, but everything seems to be normal.’

‘Normal as any of us are,’ her father adds, hugging her and resting his head on hers.

‘It might go faster if the Prince of Science would throw his weight around a bit...’

Presea looks at her father and sister. ‘Prin sci?’

‘Cheat, dad!’ Juliet encourages.

James gives his girls another affectionate gesture to the head. ‘I think I've done enough cheating in regards to making this family complete. This is one area you ponies have to figure out on your own.’

Rei and Juliet moan, but Presea nods in agreement.

‘I should be getting back to work before Silver gets back,’ Inkie says. She passes a window and sees Scootaloo returning to Rei's shop. ‘Looks like my boss beat me to it...’

‘Give Silver a hug for me!’ Rei cheers, hopping up to see her wife out.

Inkie kisses Rei. ‘Only if she'll let me.’ She heads downstairs and out the backdoor.

Rei turns back to her family. ‘Who wants a pegasus ride back to my shop?’

‘Me~~~~~~!’ Juliet yells over Presea's response.

James sets Juliet on Rei's back. ‘Okay. You can ride with Rei. Presea gets to ride with me.’

Juliet gasps. ‘No! I ride wit' dad!’

James laughs. ‘That's what I figured.’

He switches his daughters and heads downstairs with Rei flying behind. They go out the front and through The Power Block.

‘Hey, boss,’ Lucas greets.

‘Hey, Lucas.’ James looks over his shoulder. ‘Okay, girls. Just like we practiced.’

‘You.’ ‘Fired,’ the twins state.

Lucas groans. ‘You're barely back, and you taught them the fundamentals.’

‘Gotta start early,’ James laughs. ‘First, teasing you. Then comes beating Mare-io blindfolded. Then, multi-universal wormhole theory.’

‘Ooo...’ Presea gasps.

‘Dad smart like Juli!’ Juliet exclaims, hugging her father.

‘Can't you be more like your mo-...’ Lucas begins. ‘I mean, sis-... I mean, brot-... Aunt Inkie?’

James and all three of his daughters glare at the unicorn as they leave the shop. They head across the street to Rei's shop, Juliet still glaring.

‘Hey, boss,’ Scootaloo greets.

‘Tori-chan!’ Rei replies, diving over the counter to hug her employee.

The twins take one look at Scootaloo and cover their ears. The adults notice the foals' behavior and stare angrily at Scootaloo.

‘Seriously? In the same house as my infant daughters?’ James grumbles.

‘Or even anywhere in town, with Scootaloo's volume,’ Rei adds.

Scootaloo starts sweating. ‘So, uh, how about that hoofball match last night?’

The other adults just shake their heads disapprovingly.

Presea and Juliet sit on Del's desk, staring up at her nervously. The changeling leans down and smiles a wide grin, showing off her fangs.

‘Have you been good girls today?’ Del asks.

The twins nod, shaking a little.

‘Good...’ Del replies, her horn glowing. ‘In that case, you deserve... ’ -- she dumps a pile of sweets on her desk -- ‘candy!’

The twins jump in surprise then start digging in when Del backs off. James sighs and shakes his head.

‘You need to spend more time with your sisters,’ he says. ‘I don't want them thinking that changelings are creatures that will kidnap them from their home while they sleep at night.’

‘Sorry, daddy,’ Del replies, nuzzling his cheek, barely missing poking him with her horn. ‘I never really think about that.’

‘It is fine.’ He leans up and gives her a kiss on the cheek. ‘You're still my little angel.’

Del coos and smiles again. She gives her father a big hug, practically smothering him.

‘How are things otherwise?’ James asks. ‘Everything okay at home?’

Del nods, levitating a lemon sucker from the candy pile. ‘Mm, hmm. Living with Silver is a lot different than living with you or Rei. She's been showing me all sorts of new movies and shows.’

‘Oh? So you're a fan of musicals and reality programs now?’

‘No... It is just fun seeing new things I never would have thought about on my own.’

‘And it gives you something to talk about with Rarity when she asks you to model for her.’

Del moans. ‘I usually just chat with Sweetie Belle since she doesn't get to visit Apple Bloom and Scootaloo that often.’

‘It is good that you're keeping up with your friends. I hope you are making new ones too, like Stormy's sister or any of your old classmates.’

Del just moans again and intensifies her hug. There is yell from the desk.

‘No! Presy! Share candy!’

‘Uh uh. My!’

‘Presea, share with your sister,’ her father scolds.

‘You heard daddy,’ Del adds, levitating a hoof-ful of lemon drops.

James looks up at his daughter atop him. ‘You know... Your mom is looking for somepony to be the face of a new inclusiveness campaign. A famous changeling model who is also a teacher would be perfect.’

Del frowns. ‘That would be good... In the horror films Diamond and Silver like, changelings are often the "monsters". ’ She growls. ‘It is even worse since Celestia made peace with Chrysalis since actual changelings play those parts now.’

‘So you'll do it?’

Del rests her head on her dad's head. ‘If mommy has really been looking for somepony to do this, how come you just asked me now?’

‘Because the plan was just approved in about ten seconds from now.’

Del eases away so she can look down, confused. Her mobile buzzes in her desk, startling her sisters. James gets up and retrieves the twins while Del answers her mobile.

‘I'll give you some privacy. Love ya, Del,’ James says, heading to the door.

‘Love you too, daddy,’ Del replies before continuing her conversation with Twilight.

‘Mind if you have some visitors?’ James calls, standing beneath Satsuma's treehouse.

The colt looks out and sees his father. He nods excitedly. ‘Yeah. Come on up.’

In the clubhouse, Satsuma is jotting down notes from his whiteboard. James glances at the board and gives a quiet laugh. The twins look at the board, but Juliet quickly turns away to explore her brother's fort.

‘Just give me a second to get this down,’ Satsuma says. ‘Then, you, or they, can play around with my boards if you need to.’

‘They're just babies,’ his father replies. ‘How would they know how to use a whiteboard?’

Satsuma stares back, incredulously. ‘Yeah. The others might play along, but I know there is something up with them.’

James laughs and sits by his son. ‘Maybe you're right.’

Father and son sit silently side-by-side for a moment before Satsuma sighs.

‘Say it,’ the colt grumbles.

James smiles mischievously. He pulls his son in close and holds his mobile out in front of them. ‘Smile and say "I told you so!"’

Satsuma groans. ‘You didn't have to do a selfie too...’

‘That wasn't a selfie. But the Vine I just took is now on Freya's wall. ... And she just made it public. ... Starlight gave it a thumbs up and RT-ed it.’

Satsuma moans and facehoofs. ‘This is almost as bad as Rei having Princess Luna give me a "bad future" nightmare about the repercussions of cheating on Freya.’

‘Did the world get destroyed in the end?’ his father asks. ‘Those dreams are only worth it if that happens.’

Satsuma thinks for a moment. ‘Sorta. Yeah. The dream was about some future war between Equestria and the zebras that ended in nuclear holocaust. It was like a bad video game with the levels of narm I was shown.’

James laughs. There is a loud crash as a bookshelf falls over.

Juliet dashes over and hides behind her dad. ‘Preseadidit!’

James looks in the other direction from the crash. Presea is calmly working at Satsuma's whiteboard. Satsuma lets out a sad sigh, seeing the mess his sister caused.

‘It is not good to lie, Juliet,’ her father scolds. ‘Now, help your brother clean up.’ He gets out his sonic. ‘I'll fix the damage you caused.’

Juliet frowns. ‘Sorry, 'Tsuma.’

Satsuma shakes his head. ‘Its okay,’ he sighs. ‘As long as nothing is too broken... ’

The ponies go to fix the shelves. Presea notices and joins them.

James returns to Pinkie's home just as the sun sets. Juliet is barely hanging onto her father's back, exhausted from having to help Satsuma with his books. Presea flips through a book her brother let her borrow. Pinkie springs up as soon as they are through the door, giving all three a large hug.

‘Yay! You're home! Safe and sound!’ Pinkie cheers.

‘We had a lot of fun. Didn't we, girls?’ James says.

Neither twin responds. Juliet yawns.

‘Aww! You must have been busy,’ Pinkie coos, picking up Juliet. ‘Well, Pinkie has a big dinner planned that will perk you up!’

‘I might have to take a rain check,’ James responds. ‘Twilight should be expecting me.’

Pinkie frowns. ‘Okay. But I want to see both of you back here soon.’

James gives Pinkie a friendly nuzzle. ‘I promise.’

Pinkie picks up her daughters as James leaves. Juliet makes a pillow out of her mom's hair and falls asleep.

Presea holds up her book. ‘Mom. Red.’

Advanced Beginner's Physics? Who gave you this?’

‘Ushi.’

‘Huh?’

There is a knock at the door. Pinkie answers. Twilight and James are on the other side.

‘This is a royal inspection,’ the stallion states. ‘We'll start with the dining room and go from there.’

Twilight hits her husband in the gut. ‘So, I heard you wanted to see me about a big dinner. I'll be happy to discuss it over some food and a hoof massage.’

Pinkie laughs. ‘Oh, Twilight. You're so silly. Come on in. Everything will be ready in a bit.’ She leads her guests inside.

Author's Note:

This chapter being published near any culture's Father's/Parent's Day celebration is purely coincidental.

Character Note: The twins, especially Juli, are a little random with their level of word mastery in this chapter. I wanted them to be higher than their last 'major' appearance, Siblings, but lower than their next appearance. That ended up not working, but their knowledge, skills and personalities will be based more from this chapter than ones written before this one.

Story Note: I consider this chapter to be a bit of 'Genius Bonus: The Chapter' due to some small things I put here and there. Enjoy finding them all!

PreviousChapters Next