• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Teaching a Lesson

Main Characters: Starlight, Night Light, Discord
Cameos: Twilight Velvet, Cheerilee, Perfect Score, Princess Celestia/Amy
Original Start Date: June 12, 2013


Night Light stands in front of a mirror and fixes his mane. Mane in order, he adjusts his tie. The unicorn looks his best for a special visitor. Twilight Velvet laughs at her husband as he trots out of the washroom.

‘A little much, dear?’ the mare giggles.

‘This is our first meeting,’ the stallion snorts. ‘I want to look my best. I am sure he has done the same.’

A doorbell rings. Night Light smiles and marches to the door. Twilight Velvet giggles and follows her husband. The stallion runs a hoof through his mane one last time before opening the door. A smiling Starlight waits on the other side.

‘Sup, gramps!’ the young stallion greets. ‘Great to see ya!’

Starlight grabs his grandfather in a big hug. Night Light grimaces and pats the other stallion on the back. Velvet laughs at her husband.

‘Grandma!’ Starlight lets go and hugs his grandmother.

Velvet smiles and returns the hug. ‘You must be Starlight. Twilight wrote about you all the time.’

Night Light brushes himself off. ‘Some details must have been omitted...’

Starlight lets go and looks around. ‘So this is where mom grew up... A lot smaller on the inside than where I grew up...’

Velvet giggles. ‘I traveled with your father once. I can believe it.’

The young stallion looks around again and sniffs. ‘So, when’s dinner? I’m starved.’

The family sits around a living room after dinner. Night Light pours himself a drink and sits. Starlight pats a full stomach.

‘Ah! So good,’ the young stallion sighs. ‘I definitely got my cooking skills from my dad since mom definitely didn’t learn from you.’

‘Glad you like it,’ Velvet giggles. ‘We’ll have to eat in more while you’re in town. Night Light and I were planning on taking you out to see everything Canterlot has to offer.’

‘As long as you take me to In-N-Out, I’ll be happy. Mom and dad really recommend that place.’

Velvet laughs again. ‘That is one of our favorites too.’

‘Sweet.’ Starlight looks around the room. ‘So, uh, mom says you’re teachers.’

‘Night Light still is,’ Velvet replies. ‘Since the accident, it got really frustrating trying to teach students the same age as me. I’ve been working for Heartstrings’ biomagical research for the past five years. I'm head of the program working on a method where a same-sex couple that are both not unicorns can reproduce. So far, it looks promising.’

‘Awesome. So wait,’ -- he looks at his grandfather -- ‘are you coming to the conference too?’

Night Light sets down his drink and sighs. ‘Yes. I will be representing Canterlot University.’

‘Your grandfather is quite influential with the Equestria Teacher’s Association,’ Velvet adds. ‘Some even say he should be the chairpony.’

‘Oh, that would be sweet,’ Starlight muses. ‘I could get all the changes I want to make done.’

‘More nap times?’ Night Light snorts.

Starlight shrugs. ‘More field trips. Better books. Revamp the library.’

The older stallion nods. ‘That would be a good cause.’

‘Totally. Apple Bloom and I would love a bigger TV to play PlayStation on.’

Night Light groans. Velvet giggles.

‘You two are so alike,’ the mare snickers.

The grandson laughs. The grandfather groans again.

‘Oh, don’t be like that,’ Velvet sighs. ‘You were so like him when you were his age.’ She looks at Starlight. ‘You might not be able to tell, but he was in the royal guards and traveled a lot.’ She smiles. ‘He even had the same manecut as you.’ -- Night Light blushes and runs a hoof through his mane, messing it up -- ‘He was such a goof too. He was so awkward and clumsy when we were dating in college.’ She giggles. ‘Amelia hated him so much.’

Night Light snorts. ‘It was her own fault. She thought I was stealing you from her, but then she goes and gets herself a coltfriend of her own.’

‘You were so fun back then. One time, he spent all night replacing the labels in our chemistry lab. Half the students turned different colors when the reactions exploded on them.’

‘Heh, heh. That was fun.’

‘Oh! Remember the time after you got tenure, and you gave your students that test...’

‘And they were all marked “zero”!’

‘But they didn’t remember the test.’

‘And I convinced them that they had done so poorly that I used a mind control spell to erase the event from their memories.’

All three unicorns laugh at the story.

‘That was the best final I ever gave,’ Night Light sighs.

‘You seem like you were pretty wild,’ Starlight comments. ‘What happened?’

The grandfather instantly frowns. ‘I got responsible. That’s what happened. You can’t support two foals if you are screwing around all the time.’

The other stallion nods. ‘Yeah. Look where it got my dad: a third foal he didn’t know about for five hundred years.’

Night Light snorts and sips his drink. ‘Yes. A little too much screwing around there.’

‘Of course, at the same time, he married my mom and had me, so it all worked out for the best.’

‘The very best.’

Like nopony ever was.’ Starlight snorts at the joke.

Night Light finishes his drink and groans.

Velvet snorts. ‘Oh, you sang that song to Shining every night when he was a foal. You even got the other game so you could surprise him with new catches when he got up in the morning.’

‘Gramps was a gamer?’

‘Not as much as your father,’ Velvet explains, ‘but he wanted to make his children’s experiences the best.’

‘Wants the best for his kids, eh?’ Starlight taps his chin. ‘Well, there are twenty-two years of birthdays, Hearths Warmings and Kwanzaas to make up for with his grandson...’

Night Light groans again as he gets up to get another drink.

‘Twenty-two? You’re as old as your mother when she got married.’ She gasps. ‘Then you’re only seven years younger than me!’

‘Just physically,’ the older stallion mumbles.

‘I never hear you complaining about that.’

Night Light spits out his drink.

Starlight grimaces. ‘Okay. That is worse than when my parents flirt.’ He stands up. ‘I’m going to go throw up then turn in for the night. Which way to my room?’

‘We set you up in your mother’s room,’ Velvet replies. ‘Just look for the one full of books.’

‘So just like home...’ the young stallion muses as he trots away.

Velvet giggles at her grandson before turning her attentions back to her husband. ‘So... you notice your wife is thirty years younger than you... physically. Are you sure you don’t want to check that figure?’

Night Light tenses up. He turns in time to get his wife’s tail run over his snout. Velvet winks and heads to their bedroom.

A large dark form watches a group of ponies gambling in a back alley. An earth pony rolls a pair of dice. He smiles as the numbers come up in his favor. The dark figure snaps his talon. The dice fall to an unlucky number. The pony groans as his money is taken away.

Discord cackles as he flies away. He flies around Canterlot looking for something to do. He spies a couple sharing a moment together. A snap of his talon bends the probability of them conceiving toward the positive. He spots a white unicorn with a pink mane shooting rubberbands at a statue of Celestia. He laughs as he makes a shot go wide and hit a street vendor. The Lord of Chaos flies around looking for his next target. A light in a window catches his eye. Starlight reads one of his mother’s old books in bed.

‘You know, that is about that book's ower's husband,’ Discord says, shrinking himself to fit in the window.

Enigmatic Scientist? I was at the reception,’ Starlight replies.

Discord frowns. ‘You’re not another Time Lord, are you?’

‘About fifty-fifty.’

‘What?’ Discord studies the pony. ‘Have I seen you before?’

‘Possibly. I’ve been around. Nightmare Moon’s banishment, customer appreciation day, my dad’s wedding. Most recently, I was at a party because my mom saved Equestria for, like, the umpteenth time.’

‘Who are you?’

‘Starlight Clarke Sparkle!’ the young stallion introduces. ‘Greatest unicorn to ever live!’ He covers his mouth and whispers, ‘Not counting my mom before her coronation, of course.’ He sighs, ‘What a lovely day that was.’

‘You’re the son of James and Twilight?’ Discord gapes.

‘And you’re Discord. You’re a lot less scary than history texts make you out to be.’ He stares at the visitor. ‘And my sister has much bigger fangs.’

Discord leans against a wall. ‘Sorry. I’m still amazed that they had a child.’ He looks at the unicorn. ‘You do know my past, right? My origins?’

‘Yeah. Rei told me. You’re, like, my dad’s body after a regeneration.’

‘We always wanted a foal of our own,’ Discord sighs. ‘Rei and her siblings were enough to make me happy and to think we had a child, but you... I’m a little taken aback.’

‘I ain’t gonna hug ya and call ya “dad” if that is what you are expecting.’

‘You sound how I expect your brother would.’

‘Yeah, but he’d grill you worse than my mother would.’

Discord laughs. ‘I would really enjoy meeting him someday, but for now I must go.’

‘I have a conference at the palace. Hopefully, I’ll see you around.’

‘Sounds like a plan.’ He goes to the window and poses. ‘Chaos, away!’

Starlight laughs and goes back to his book.

Cheerilee waits by the palace entrance. She checks her mobile and sighs. There is a bright blue flash as Starlight teleports in.

‘Sorry I’m late,’ the young stallion apologizes. ‘I was getting us some coffee, and Seaddle’s Best is best from Seaddle.’

‘Actually, you are early,’ Cheerilee replies, taking a cup of coffee. ‘I’m surprised to see your glasses, too. I would have thought you were going to sleep in.’

‘Glasses?’ Starlight adjusts his. ‘What does that mean?’

Cheerilee sighs and enters the palace. ‘Either you are channeling your mother and really don’t notice or you are acting like your father and trying to mess with me.’

‘Is it working? I can't tell.’

The mare groans and drinks her coffee. They pass other groups of teachers. Guards direct the teachers to a conference room.

‘So, what is this meeting about?’ Starlight asks. ‘Am I getting the Most Awesome Teacher in Equestria Award or something?’

Cheerilee rolls her eyes. ‘You haven’t been teaching long enough to earn any awards. This is just our semiannual meeting of the Equestria Teacher’s Association. All the superintendents and/or top teachers from a district meet to discuss the current issues in education.’

‘Top teachers, eh?’

‘I invited you since you are a new teacher and should have some knowledge of your field. I’ve been to enough of these to know they aren’t too exciting.’

‘We can always ask Discord to help out with that.’

‘Just what teachers need,’ Cheerilee groans, ‘more chaos.’

They take their seats. Starlight waves to his grandfather as he arrives. The older pony does his best to ignore his grandson, but he still waves back. A spectacled jade green unicorn with a short light lime green mane steps to the head of the conference table and taps it to get everypony’s attention.

‘Thank you all for coming. We may now begin this meeting of the Equestria Teacher’s Association. First item on the agenda is... Yes?’

Starlight lowers a hoof. ‘What’s your name? Shouldn’t there be introductions? When is lunch?’

The other unicorn sighs and glares. ‘Apparently somepony didn’t do their homework... I am Perfect Score. Principal of Canterlot High School and chairpony of the Equestria Teacher’s Association. And no, there won’t be introductions. Everypony should have the meeting roster in their information packet. As for your last question, if you keep disrupting the meeting, lunch may be canceled.’

‘Give him a break,’ Night Light groans. ‘Starlight is new. You can’t expect him to be up to speed on his first meeting.’

‘I expect all my students to have done their assigned reading before class begins.’

‘There was assigned reading?’ Starlight asks.

Perfect Score glares at the other stallion.

‘Sorry,’ Cheerilee apologizes. ‘Starlight was a last-minute recruit as I was leaving Ponyville. He didn’t have time to prepare.’

‘Hmpf. If you think I am going to excuse you since it is your first time as a manager, you have another thing coming. This is your first warning, for both of you.’

‘Warning?’ Starlight scoffs. ‘What are we? Foals?’

‘Starlight...’ Cheerilee whispers.

‘Mr Starlight,’ Perfect Score snorts. ‘If you are not going to take this meeting seriously, stand outside until you are sent for.’

‘So, because you won’t treat me like an adult and say I am not paying attention, you kick me out so I can’t hear the meeting.’ The stallion trots to the door. ‘I wonder how many students get punished for missing material because you were punishing them for missing material.’

Starlight closes the door behind him. Perfect Score takes a deep breath and continues with the meeting.

Starlight sits outside the conference room. His ears twitch as he listens in on the conversation. He yawns in boredom.

‘Not learning anything in school?’

‘I was homeschooled by the best,’ Starlight replies. ‘The ponies in there drain the fun out of learning.’

Discord leans against the wall next to the unicorn. ‘Why don’t you go in there and give them what they deserve?’

‘Why don’t you?’

Discord frowns. ‘Because Princess Sun-Butt put an anti-chaos spell on the room.’

‘That? Pfft. If it were that much of a threat, do you think I’d be out here?’

‘Hmm.’ Discord opens the door and tries entering. A powerful force field zaps him across the hall. ‘Touche, Sun-Butt.’

‘Lord of Chaos, eh?’

Discord glares. ‘You and your mother... So annoying.’

Starlight smirks. ‘We try.’

The conference room doors open again. The delegates file out.

‘Mr Sparkle, may I have a word with you?’ Cheerilee grumbles as she trots out.

‘Actually, I was planning on taking my grandson to lunch,’ Night Light interrupts. ‘You may join us if you like.’ He levitates a miniature Discord from behind Starlight’s neck. ‘You may not.’

Discord snaps his talon, returning to normal size. ‘Correction: It is your whole family.’

The Lord of Chaos makes socks appear on his feet and skates away on the palace floors. The ponies sigh and go to lunch.

Night Light levitates a tray of garden burgers to the table.

‘Now, don’t tell your grandmother we went here, and we might be back for dinner.’

‘Thank you for treating us, Mr Night Light,’ Cheerilee says, ‘but I wanted to talk to Starlight about his behavior.’

‘Yes, that was quite the show,’ Night Light states. ‘Very enjoyable. Ruffled Perfect Score’s feathers.’

‘He is a unicorn, not a pegasus,’ Starlight points out.

‘Correct,’ the older unicorn huffs.

‘That still doesn’t excuse your behavior,’ Cheerilee scolds. ‘With his power in the Equestria Teacher’s Association, he could cost you your job, and that might mean my job since I put so much weight behind hiring you.’

‘And of course, him targeting Starlight could be seen as an abuse of power,’ Night Light notes. ‘He has ruffled enough feathers to get voted out of his position.’

Starlight nods. ‘So the pegasus teachers don’t like him. Got it.’

‘Stop acting like your father and act like your mother for once!’ Cheerilee snaps. The others glare at her. ‘Sorry. I hate losing a student, and Starlight’s behavior isn’t helping.’

‘Miss Cheerilee,’ Night Light begins, ‘when I was your age, these meetings were more for building connections between schools and districts. While we are more focused on educational advances, we haven’t seen much development of technique. Starlight’s energy is just what the organization needs.’

‘If you’re so enthusiastic about it, then why don’t you run for chairpony?’ the mare counters.

‘That is a young pony’s job. I simply don’t have the strength.’

Starlight charges a spell on his horn. ‘How far in the future was the de-aging spell? You can be my age in seconds.’

‘That is what I am afraid of.’

Cheerilee sighs. ‘We have teacher discussions this afternoon. Starlight will finally get a chance to talk (something he is good at) and a chance to listen (which could use some work).’

‘Oh, he heard the earlier meeting.’ Night Light calmly sips his drink. ‘Just like he heard his grandmother and me last night.’

Starlight pales. ‘Please don’t remind me.’

‘Don’t have the strength, eh?’ Cheerilee goads.

Night Light sips his drink again. ‘I just have no idea where it goes.’

Starlight groans and stares at his lunch.

Back from lunch, the delegates gather in the conference hall. Perfect Score gives Starlight a wary eye as the younger stallion reclaims his seat. Once everypony is seated, the chairpony calls the meeting to order.

‘As is customary on the afternoon of the first day, we hear from teachers about their recent experiences,’ Perfect Score says. ‘Since there is only one new teacher here, let’s hear from Mr Starlight first.’

Starlight stands and bats a hoof. ‘Please, Mr Starlight is... Well, it is almost my grandfather’s name.’ -- Night Light groans -- ‘Just call me Starlight.’

‘Mr Starlight, just report on your meager teaching experiences.’

‘To be honest, not much to report, really,’ Starlight replies. ‘We go through the lessons day by day. I teach the foals what they want to learn, and they seem to enjoy it. I like that my little brother is one of my students. He is really smart and easily the best student. Oh! And I teach an after-school magic class.’ He sighs. ‘They don’t even know a simple teleportation spell. So much work needs to be done on the basics.’

‘Your father taught you, didn’t he?’ Night Light grumbles.

‘It was about fifty-fifty.’

Perfect Score gapes. ‘You teach the students what they want? What about the standards!’

‘We cover those,’ Starlight replies. ‘It just makes it easier if they hear what they want to hear. I tell them what we have to cover and they pick from that or if we’re ahead, we just cover whatever.’

‘That’s madness!’

‘Actually, it works quite well,’ Cheerilee argues. ‘The student’s test scores are higher than when I taught the class. They even demonstrate a better understanding of the material. Some of his colleagues at the other schools in town have begun using these methods. The magic instructors are reporting much quicker spell-learning rates, with better retention.’

‘But he is not following a standard method,’ Perfect Score stammers. ‘That isn’t teaching. That is...’

‘I’ve noticed that too,’ a dark yellow pegasus speaks up. ‘Whenever I would relate what we are covering to experiences from my life, the students remember the topic better on our exams.’

‘Right,’ a red earth pony agrees. ‘I have taken up baking as a way of teaching my students chemistry. They have a lot of fun and see the real world applications of the material. It is such a relief to have them see how science and mathematics are used in everyday situations.’

‘Seconded,’ A light brown unicorn says. ‘I have my students manage a chequebook to relate algebra to the real world.’

The other teachers start sharing their stories. The administrators and older teachers enjoy hearing their colleagues’ discussion. Perfect Score sits and glares at Starlight.

After the meeting ends for the day, the delegates continue chatting as they head to dinner or back to their hotels. Night Light waits for his grandson so they can meet with Velvet. Before the older unicorn can catch Starlight, Perfect Score pulls the young unicorn aside.

‘May I have a word with you, Mr Starlight?’

‘I think you just had nine.’

‘Yes. Well, I have been thinking about your contribution to the conference, and I think you have done more than enough. How would you like to have a day off tomorrow?’

‘But that would mean I miss the topics covered tomorrow.’

‘You have no need to worry about those. I am sure Miss Cheerilee will fill you in.’

‘That’s okay...’

‘Okay, how about this? You don’t come in tomorrow, and you’ll get a good mark on your record.’

‘Are you trying to bribe me to not show up?’

Perfect Score shrugs. ‘It is no big deal. A good mark doesn’t really mean anything. It is like a smiley face on a test. No real value. Just one day of hookey for a bit of faint praise.’

‘That really isn’t that enticing. Not to mention, my grandfather and Cheerilee would miss my glorious presence.’

‘Won’t we all... But think of all the fun you can have with a free day. See the town. Take in the sights. … Get back to your school early...’

Starlight steps away from Perfect Score. ‘Listen, I know what you are trying to do. If you don’t like me and how I act, just say so. Everypony else seems to like me. I won’t be changing who I am just because you don’t like it. I am here to meet new ponies and make friends. You don’t have to be my friend. I’ll have plenty without you.’

‘You think you can make me look bad in front of my fellow teachers. You know nothing about our profession. A little punk like you knows nothing.’

‘Uh, duh, I don’t know anything about teaching. Why do you think I am trying to make friends with other teachers? And after seeing your style of doing things, I don’t want to be your friend.’

‘You insolent little...’

Night Light steps between the two ponies before Perfect Score can act. ‘There you are, Starlight. Your grandmother is waiting for us at the restaurant. Let’s get going.’ He nods at Perfect Score. ‘See you tomorrow.’

The family trots off together. The remaining unicorn stands and stews over his defeat. A lion’s paw is placed on his shoulder.

‘Want some ice for that burn?’ Discord offers. ‘It would be a snap.’

‘Go away, you freak. Celestia was a fool for releasing you.’

‘You know, I could help you with your problem, but if you’re not interested...’

‘What is the catch?’

Discord raises his paw and talon defensively. ‘No catch. Just ask Celestia to lower the anti-chaos shield, and I promise everything will work out for the best.’

‘Fine. I’ll see her after dinner. You better keep your end of the deal.’

‘You have my word.’

Perfect Score snorts and trots away. Discord laughs.

‘You should have hired me years ago.’

‘I didn’t need to. I had the other you to help me for free.’

Discord looks back as Celestia trots up.

‘Is targeting him really necessary?’ Discord asks.

Celestia snorts. ‘The outcome is one I have wanted for years. Starlight just offers a chance to get it right this time.’

‘Whatever.’ Discord shrugs. ‘Everything will be taken care of.’

‘Good. Oh, and Discord...’

‘Yes?’

Celestia levitates a pair of rubber bands and snaps them on Discord’s horn and antler. ‘That is for making me miss my shot the other night.’

The princess laughs to herself as she trots away, leaving Discord to rub his sore head.

Having heard his grandmother making another pass at his grandfather, Starlight hits the streets of Canterlot to distract his mind. Being used to planets of varying levels of nightlife, he finds the late activity of the city to his liking. The young stallion trots into a park. A number of young couples stroll together on their way home after dates. Starlight smiles and sits on a bench. He looks at a statue of Princess Celestia and notices several rubber bands around its horn. Another flies out of the dark and bounces off the statue’s crown. A white unicorn with a flowing pink mane sits next to Starlight.

‘Want a shot?’ Amy offers.

Starlight levitates a rubber band and shoots. It rings one of the statue’s raised hooves. Amy’s jaw drops.

‘Seven years and you never tried that?’ Starlight asks.

‘Hmpf! Lucky shot.’ Amy levitates a rubber band and aims.

The young stallion slides over and leans on the guest. ‘How the hell did you do it?’

‘Do what? I am just some random stranger in the park.’

‘How did you raise my mother so well? And why the hell aren’t you at the conference representing your school?’

‘I still have no idea what you are talking about, stranger.’

Starlight quickly levitates a necklace from the other unicorn and slips it on the statue. Celestia growls as she returns the necklace to herself.

‘Just like your father,’ she snorts.

‘Or mother. She told me of the times she would gallop through the halls wearing your regalia.’

Amy smiles. ‘She was a hoofful at times. As for your other concerns, I had a thousand years of practice teaching young fillies and colts before I taught your mother. And believe me, I’d rather sit through one of Perfect Score’s boring lectures on proper lesson plan management than all the council meetings I must attend.’

Starlight groans. ‘So I have to be older than my dad to be a good teacher... Great...’

‘Whoever said that?’ Amy asks. ‘Your students adore you, right? They enjoy coming to class and learning new subjects, right?’

‘I guess.’

‘Then you already are a great teacher. Standards on a piece of paper mean nothing compared to caring for your students. Do not worry what others may think of you.’

‘Thank you. Now I understand why my parents admire you so much.’

Amy smiles and stands. ‘My sister is spending the night at your lover’s club this evening, so I am alone. Would you care to spend the night with me?’

Starlight smiles. ‘Sure, but first...’

The young stallion reaches up and boops Amy. The mare smiles and boops Starlight in return.

The delegates return to the conference room for the morning meeting. Most are still in good moods after the last meeting. Perfect Score snorts at the ‘wild behavior’ he sees in front of him. Starlight and Night Light arrive and join their colleagues. With everypony seated, Perfect Score rises and calls the meeting to order. He sees Discord out of a window. The Lord of Chaos gives a thumbs up. The smug unicorn smirks.

‘Thank you for making it back today. Today’s agenda will focus on proper budgeting and allocation of resources. We’ll start by looking at budget issues facing each district and discuss how to fix those problems. Ponyville District, you can go first.’

Cheerilee nods at Starlight. The young stallion stands.

‘Cheerilee will talk about other issues in the district, but I wanted to ask if we could get some funds or donations to renovate the library. Apple Bloom wants to expand our selection and update what we already have.’

‘I suggested he ask for book donations here,’ Cheerilee explains. ‘I have already put in a request with the district for funding.’

‘A bigger library? Can you really handle that expense?’ Perfect Score asks.

‘Um, well, looking at the incoming students and transfers for next year, the whole district will need expanding to meet with the need,’ Cheerilee adds.

‘I think Ponyville already gets enough breaks. I mean, they let the two of you have jobs there.’

The teachers murmur at the comment.

‘Listen,’ Starlight growls, ‘I might have been a shaky hire, and I am still proving myself, but Cheerilee is a great teacher. She is the perfect pony for superintendent because she understands the needs of teachers and students.’

‘Yet her first administrative move was hiring a pony with no experience to teach all the foals in the district. And now I am hearing she let the library get behind on modernization.’

‘Apple Bloom has done the best she could. She’s done a better job than my mother keeping the library up to date and well-stocked.’

‘Another brilliant administrative move. Pure nepotism there. Not only inept as a librarian but as a princess too.’ -- Starlight growls at Perfect Score -- ‘Disappearing for seven years shows a real lack of preparedness. If it weren’t for her natural magical affinity, she would have just been another low class unicorn performing tricks on the street to make ends meet.’

A hoof connects across Perfect Score’s jaw, knocking him out.

‘That’s my daughter, you ass!’ Night Light seethes. He looks at a donkey teacher. ‘No offense.’

‘None taken.’

Perfect Score moans as he slides from the table and collapses on the floor.

Cheerilee clears her throat. ‘With the sudden, uh, fall of our current chairpony, I suggest we elect a new representative. All in favor of Night Light?’

Everypony raises a hoof in agreement.

‘Then the floor is yours, Mr Chairpony.’

Night Light groans. ‘Took you ten damn years, but you finally got me,’ he snorts. ‘Anyway, who gives a buck about budget stuff? Let the bureaucrats worry about it. Anypony have a good story since last meeting?’

The conference hall fills with teachers sharing stories again. Outside, Discord watches through opera glasses.

‘Enough chaos for you?’

‘Plenty,’ Celestia replies. ‘The only pony who could have done better is you.’ She smirks. ‘The you I like.’

Discord boops Celestia on the nose. She growls, then chases him around the palace while screaming.

Author's Note:

Starlight Timeline: Befriends Discord and Celestia. Visits his grandparents for the first time.

Story Timeline: Night Light is elected to the head of the Equestria Teacher's Association.

Fun Fact: Each of the past adventures that Starlight mentions do feature an appearance by the young stallion.

PreviousChapters Next