• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
137 More Short Scenes About Hearts and Hooves Day

Main Characters: Apple Bloom, Starlight, Satsuma, Del, Freya
Cameos: Razzly, Pound, Shaun, Summer Rain, Scootaloo, Diamond Tiara, Pinkie, Lemon
Original Start Date: January 28, 2014


Starlight leans back and stretches while magically marking several papers at once. Apple Bloom enters his office, gives her coltfriend a hug and kisses him while he is in mid-stretch.

‘Thanks, AB. I needed that.’

‘O’ course. Don’ want ya gettin’ too stressed out.’

‘Me stressed? Never! I’m as cool as they come.’

‘That’s good t’ hear. Must mean ya planned where we’re goin’ in advance, unlike most ponies.’

Starlight turns around, still magically grading papers. ‘Going? Going where?’

‘Ya know. Goin’ out fer Hearts and Hooves Day.’

The unicorn snorts and turns back to his desk. ‘Right. That is coming up.’

‘What’s the matter?’

‘Nothing. I just think the holiday is stupid. It is as silly as that Cadance Times nonsense.’

Apple Bloom frowns. ‘Ah never thought ya’d hate it so much. What’s wrong with it?’

Starlight frowns. ‘You.’

‘Me?’

‘All those years when I couldn’t see you. Watching from afar. Seeing you so lonely and heartbroken.’ He slams a hoof into his desk. ‘I wanted to reach out so bad! I wanted to help cure your hurt! Stupid causality prevented me from doing anything more than leaving a letter or two...’

Apple Bloom thinks. She smiles and wraps Starlight in a hug. ‘Ah always figured ya were the one.’

‘Huh?’

‘Every year, Ah’d get very lonely since Ah was the only one without a special somepony. And every year, somepony would leave a note in mah locker or at the library fer me tellin’ me they loved me.’

‘Who was it? I’ll find them and use one of three invisibility spells to make them disappear.’

‘Ya’d have t’ find somepony with the initials S-C-S.’

Starlight thinks. ‘Sounds familiar. Probably a real jerk though. Totally wouldn’t have left you chocolates and roses too. Or snuck in to give you a kiss on the cheek. Nothing special like that.’

Apple Bloom hugs tighter and gives her coltfriend a kiss. ‘See, ya can make the day special.’

‘Right. Because leaving you alone was so special.’ He sighs. ‘At least Del agrees with me that we shouldn’t have a party at school.’

‘Ya ain’t havin’ a party fer the foals!’

‘What? I don’t want any of them to feel excluded if they don’t get anything or if the pony they like snubs them.’

Apple Bloom growls and turns Starlight to face her. ‘Starlight Clarke Sparkle. Ah am ashamed o’ ya! Ya are denyin’ foals o’ a fun get t’gether. Sure, Ah knew who Ah was destined t’ be with after Ah met ya, but there were still many Hearts and Hooves celebrations befer we met where Ah had fun. Shoot. Even Scootaloo and Diamond joined the party and had fun with others despite bein’ a couple. Yer keepin’ foals from havin’ a good social experience.’

‘But...’

‘No buts!’ She glares at the stallion, but a crafty grin creeps across her face. ‘Tell ya what… Ya throw the foals a party, and Ah make it worth it when ya get home.’

‘Oh?’

Apple Bloom nods. ‘Ya let ‘em have a party, a real party, not just have ‘em show up then dismiss ‘em immediately, and when ya get home, we start in the basement and work our way t’ the attic, then back down again.’

Starlight’s eyes go wide. ‘Every position?’

Apple Bloom leans in and whispers. ‘Every position. Every surface. Every way imaginable.’ She kisses behind his ear. ‘Even a few unimaginable.’

Starlight shakes with anticipation. ‘Okay. Deal. They get a whole-day party, but I get to set the rules so nopony feels left out.’

‘Fine by me. Jus’ make sure ya save yerself ‘til ya earned it.’

Apple Bloom trots away, shaking her rump as she goes.

Starlight stares and whimpers. ‘Why is there always a catch?’

Razzly trots to Carousel Boutique after school. She hears a loud commotion in the building.

‘Lemon! Get the door and throw him out!’ a voice shouts from inside.

The front door opens, and a stallion is magically carried from the building. Diamond Tiara steps out after him.

‘And if you don’t like the way I do business, then you can take your portfolio and shove it up your plot!,’ the mare yells.

‘Hi, Diamond,’ Razzly greets.

Diamond smiles at the filly. ‘Afternoon, Razzly.’ She turns to the stallion. ‘And don’t ever come back!’ She slams the door and marches for the kitchen. ‘I’m getting some coffee and a snack. Anypony want anything?’

‘I’m good,’ Lemon replies from her desk.

‘Me too,’ Razzly adds.

‘Suit yourselves,’ Diamond says.

‘How was school?’ Lemon asks.

Razzly sets her saddlebag on the desk. ‘It was okay. Starlight finally announced a Hearts and Hooves party. Unfortunately, he said we have to give cards to everypony, but we can give extra cards to somepony we like. At least I can give Satsuma something special without Pumpkin getting too worked up.’

Lemon sighs wistfully. ‘I wish I went to a regular school. My first “public” Hearts and Hooves was at a private school. Had to turn down so much jewelry from spoiled rich colts.’ She huffs, upset. ‘Never a good one when I needed one.’

‘One, what? I have to ask,’ Diamond taunts as she returns.

‘That is none of your business,’ Lemon angrily retorts.

The pink mare laughs. She looks at Razzly. ‘If you need any help with your cards, my appointment book opened up for the rest of the afternoon.’

‘Make way! Pregnant pony coming through!’ Pinkie Pie announces as she enters the building.

Lemon levitates a couch for the pregnant mare. ‘How was your checkup?’

Pinkie rubs her belly. ‘Everything is going fine. Shouldn’t be too much longer. Feels like I’m a walking clown car, with how big I have gotten.’

The unicorn laughs at the joke. ‘Well, since you don’t have anything else scheduled today, want to join us making Razzly’s cards for Hearts and Hooves Day?’

‘Ooo!’ Pinkie hobbles to her hooves. ‘Let me get my crayons!’

The pregnant mare slowly trots towards the stairs. Diamond cuts her off.

‘I’ll get them for you,’ she offers.

‘Thanks, Diamond.’ Pinkie sits at the counter with Lemon and Razzly. She playfully pokes Razzly. ‘So, you have a special somepony?’

‘Not really. I’ve been dropping hints that I’m interested in him, but Satsuma is too dense to pick up on them.’

Pinkie snickers. ‘Just like his dad. You just have to grab him by the head, give him a bi~~~~~g kiss and tell him how you feel.’ She nods triumphantly. ‘Worked with both James and Twilight.’

Razzly laughs. ‘I’ll keep that in mind.’ She looks at the mares. ‘Um, can I stay here that night?’

‘Of course,’ Lemon agrees. ‘Pinkie and I were planning on staying in and eating all the ice cream I can make. More the merrier.’

‘What! That means less ice cream for me and my baby!’ Pinkie argues. She laughs. ‘But, yeah. It would be okay having you over. What’s up?’

‘Well, uh, Rei is planning on spending a lot of “special time” with Inkie. I just don’t want to get caught in an awkward situation.’

‘Definitely avoiding that here,’ Diamond says, returning with a large box of art supplies. ‘Scootaloo is taking me out. I mean, she is actually offering to pay for once. She says she has been cleaning up ever since she returned from boot camp, so I expect we are staying over at her place too.’

‘So, we’re just out of earshot from you two?’ Lemon kids.

Diamond growls at the unicorn. Pinkie and Razzly laugh and start working on the cards.

Foals run about the schoolhouse. Cards cover their desks and fill their saddlebags. A large group of foals surround Satsuma’s desk, trapping the young colt. Del comes out of her classroom, having checked on Freya and a few other foals who do not want to join the party. She joins Starlight at the front of the class. Summer Rain gives her teachers cards and candy before continuing her rounds.

‘You seem to be having fun,’ Del comments, eating her candy. ‘It wasn’t too long ago that you were opposed to having a party.’

‘Let’s just say I received a good argument to have one,’ Starlight replies. ‘Speaking of which, only about a hour until school ends and we can go home. Apple Bloom and I have big plans in the works. … And by big plans, I mean lots sex.’

Del grimaces and bares her fangs. ‘Thanks. I needed to hear that.’

‘Funny. Satsuma said the same thing when I told him. Glad to hear everypony is interested when I get some.’

Del rolls her eyes.

‘Anyway! What about you? Do you have any plans? I bet everypony wants to get with the most attractive, coolest, smartest single mare in town.’

Del blushes. ‘You really mean all that?’

Starlight nods. ‘Of course I do. If I weren’t with Apple Bloom, I would totally ask you out… which would be wrong because you’re my sister.’ He narrows his gaze and pokes Del.

The changeling frowns and looks down. ‘Sorry.’

Starlight pokes his sister again.

‘Stop it, or I’ll eat your face.’

Starlight keeps up his glare then smiles. ‘Anyway! What are your plans?’

‘I don’t have any,’ Del snorts.

‘Oh. That sucks. I would have thought somepony would have asked you out. I mean, just look at the way Ruby looks at you.’ He thinks. ‘Though she looks at everypony like she is about to pounce us in a hug...’ A thought occurs. ‘Silver is single. Lemon too.’

Del shakes her head. ‘No thanks. Besides, I prefer stallions.’ Starlight opens his mouth to answer, but she cuts him off. ‘Appreciate what you are trying to do, but I am fine. Don’t worry about me.’

Starlight hugs his sister. ‘Don’t feel bad, little sis.’ He gives her a kiss on the cheek. ‘You know… Since you’re not doing anything, mind handling clean-up so I can sneak out sooner?’

Del bares her fangs and hisses.

Starlight gives his sister another quick peck on the cheek. ‘Great! I know you can handle it!’

The stallion trots off to play a game with his students, leaving Del behind to plot ways to end up with one less brother.

After school, Shaun and Summer Rain head home together. They compare the cards they got from their friends. Shaun holds a talon to his head as he looks at the card Summer Rain is holding.

‘I am sensing the card was made by a colt,’ Shaun says. ‘He needed his parent’s help with the card. He has dark blue hair and possibly spilled glue in his saddlebag recently. It was Kain!’

Summer Rain laughs. ‘He’s a nice colt. I hope he likes the cards I made for him too. Did you get any extra cards?’

Shaun gets out a couple cards. ‘Got the one from you.’

‘You knew!’

The griffin laughs. ‘I am psychic. Thank you, though. One from Razzly. One from Pumpkin.’ He looks for more cards.

Summer Rain gets out a card. ‘I’m pretty sure this was from Moonlight Strike.’

‘Bowling balls are a big giveaway.’

‘Oh!’ The pegasus holds up another card. ‘How about this one?’

Shaun holds a talon to his temple and tilts his head. ‘Written by a pegasus. Generic message, but a lot of effort put into the card. I’m seeing green. Lucky Heart.’

‘Wow. You’re really good at this,’ Summer Rain compliments. ‘Who’s next?’

They dig in their saddlebags for a card and pull one out simultaneously. Their expressions go blank.

‘Freya,’ they agree.

‘At least she put a lot of effort into them,’ Summer Rain comments.

‘She really has pretty writing,’ Shaun adds.

The pegasus reaches into her bag. ‘Okay. One more before we have to split. Pound better have given me one after all the work I put into one for him...’

Applejack returns home after spending the day checking on the orchard. She wipes her hooves and heads to the kitchen to put water on for coffee. Her mobile buzzes.

[Mom! Save me!]

She rolls her eyes. [Where are you?]

[Bedroom! Dying!]

Applejack shakes her head and heads upstairs. She finds Satsuma’s bedroom door open, her son collapsed under his saddlebag, cards and candy spilled everywhere. The mare tries to stifle a laugh.

‘Little help?’ the young colt grunts.

‘Sorry.’ Applejack digs her son free. ‘Looks like ya were a popular one this year.’

‘It is Starlight’s stupid fault,’ Satsuma complains, adjusting his glasses. ‘He made a rule where everypony had to give cards to everypony else and extras to ponies that you really wanted to give a card to. It was like an endless stream of being bugged, then I had to carry all of this home with me. I was lucky I made it this far.’

‘Now that yer free, ya can get t’ answerin’ them.’

Satsuma rolls his eyes. ‘Yeah. Like that is going to happen.’

Applejack gasps and turns her son to face her. ‘Satsuma Niven Apple. Ah am ashamed o’ ya! All yer classmates took the time t’ make somethin’ special fer ya and yer jus’ gonna ignore ‘em? That ain’t the way Ah raised ya. Yer gonna thank everypony fer their gifts, even if ya are up all night writin’ replies.’

Satsuma moans, ‘Even the colts?’

‘Even the colts.’

The young colt moans again and starts gathering his cards. Applejack tousles her son’s mane and leaves him to his work.

Del trots home after cleaning up the schoolhouse. She is in a sour mood since Starlight left her on her own and because she is has no date for the night. She wanders the streets of Ponyville, grumbling to herself. The ponies steer clear of the upset changeling.

‘Del?’

Del growls as she looks for the source of the call. She sees a tall, buff light grey stallion trotting up to her.

‘It is you, Del! Long time, no see,’ the stallion greets.

‘Sorry if I don’t remember you.’

‘It is me, Truffle. We went to school together until you left town,’ Truffle introduces.

‘Oh yeah!’ Del remembers. ‘You were the colt who always gave me lots of candy.’ She stands to her full height, towering over the stallion. ‘Do you have any candy with you?’

Truffle laughs. ‘Sorry. No.’

‘Should have guessed. You’re so skinny now.’

‘Thanks. I played a lot of hoofball in high school.’ He shrugs. ‘Makes sense to stay in shape with my job too.’

‘What do you do?’

‘I’m a food critic.’

‘Delicious.’

Truffle nervously looks up at Del. ‘Hey, uh, since I’m in town for a review, would you like to come along?’

Del raises an eyebrow. ‘Go to a restaurant review?’

‘It is will be my treat. Well, technically, it will be my employer’s treat… but you’d have to write a review too.’

Del thinks for a moment. She glances around and sees passing ponies looking at her. ‘Sure. I guess. It will be nice to get out.’ She smiles. ‘Guess I do have plans.’

‘Plans for what?’

Del sighs and shakes her head. ‘Never mind.’

Truffle bows slightly and leads Del away. He laughs. ‘You know, back when we were foals, I had a bit of a crush on you.’

‘That explains all the candy.’

Truffle laughs and catches up with his friend as they head to the restaurant.

‘Dad!’ Kain calls, trotting down from his room.

‘In here,’ Sunshine replies.

The young bat pony looks and finds his father in the living room. ‘I need your help with something.’

‘Sure. What is it?’

Kain holds out a card. ‘I need you to find out who this is from.’

Sunshine smiles. ‘You want me to run forensic analysis on a Hearts and Hooves card?’

‘If that means doing police stuff where you find out who sent it, then yes, please.’

‘Come on. Let me see.’

Kain sets the card in front of his father. Sunshine looks it over.

‘Well, it was made by a filly.’

‘How can you tell?’

‘By the writing.’ He lifts the card. ‘And from the materials used. Not as sloppily produced as those that colts your age make.’

Fluttershy enters the room. She sees her husband going over the card and her son staring at his father.

‘Let me guess, Kain has a secret admirer,’ the pegasus guesses.

‘Seems that way,’ Sunshine replies. ‘I’m guessing this was made by a pegasus based on how the glue is bonded to the paper.’

Fluttershy rolls her eyes. ‘Kain has plenty of time to find a special somepony. I bet he will break a lot of hearts on the way too.’

‘Thanks, mom.’

Fluttershy pets her son’s mane. ‘Did your sister get any cards too?’

‘Tons! I think Satsuma was the only one to get more than her.’

‘Stallions love the shy ones,’ Sunshine comments before sniffing the card. ‘No traces of drugs...’

‘Why would there be..?’ Fluttershy shakes her head. She heads to the stairs. ‘I’m going to check on Freya. I bet the extra attention is freaking her out.’ She sighs and heads up. ‘I know it used to cause me to panic...’

Kain watches his mother leave before looking back right as he dad licks part of the card.

‘Definitely no drugs.’

Diamond Tiara paces outside of the fanciest restaurant in Ponyville. She checks the time on her tablet.

‘She’s late.’

The mare is wearing her best dress and jewelry. She and Lemon spent the afternoon working on her mane and makeup. She even polished her tiara so that the diamonds sparkle. She showed up early to her date with Scootaloo so that her fillyfriend would marvel at her for even longer. A pegasus lands nearby.

‘About time you show up,’ Diamond complains, turning. ‘Do you know how long I have been waiting? I have half a mind to...’ -- she sees her date -- ‘buck you.’

Scootaloo adjusts her tie on her dress uniform. Her orange coat and feathers stand out against the dark blues of her uniform. The pegasus tilts a tam back on her head. ‘Sorry I’m late. Rei left early to take Inkie out, and I had to rush to get dressed.’

Diamond trots over and runs a hoof over Scootaloo’s uniform. ‘Oh, it is okay.’ She sighs wistfully. ‘I want to do so many things to you, but then you’d have to take off your lovely uniform...’

Scootaloo laughs nervously. ‘Right. This is the first time you saw it.’ She kisses he fillyfriend. ‘You look beautiful.’

‘And you’re so handsome.’

‘Handsome? What am I? A stallion?’

‘Handsome can be used for mares too.’

‘Yeah, but...’

Diamond returns the kiss. ‘Let’s hurry and eat so I can get you out of uniform sooner.’

Scootaloo smiles and salutes. ‘Yes, ma’am.’

Scootaloo holds a foreleg out for her date. Diamond takes the offered leg, and they enter the restaurant.

Carrot Cake knocks on a door.

‘It’s open!’

The stallion enters Pound’s room to see the colt staring at an array of cards on his desk.

‘Uh, it is almost time for dinner,’ Carrot says. ‘What are you doing?’

‘Oh. We had a card exchange today,’ Pound explains. ‘Everypony giving cards had to give cards to everypony. If you got any extra, then it was because somepony made you one special.

‘Okay… And you have some extra?’

Pound nods. ‘Five extra. I am trying to figure out who they are from and which chemical analysis I should perform first.’

‘Well, it is good to hear you have admirers. Just don’t go too nuts.’

‘I won’t.’

Carrot turns to leave. ‘Um. Your sister locked the door to her room. Do you know why?’

‘Oh. She didn’t get any extra cards.’

‘What!?’ Carrot gallops from the room. ‘Honey! We have an emergency!’

Pound calmly holds up a card. ‘Do we have any theobromine? Preferably liquid and unsweetened.’ He looks around. ‘Dad?’ He shrugs and goes back to work.

Late at night. A window opens at Ponyville Library. A small form looks around and slips inside. It sneaks to a desk and sets a card on it. The card has ‘To the Best Teacher’ written on it. Freya smiles and turns back to the window. She stops and her ears twitch. She peeks out the door.

Starlight trots past his office to his bedroom. He collapses on the bed next to Apple Bloom.

‘You’re right. A shower feels great,’ the stallion sighs contentedly. ‘You gave me a real workout.’

‘Me? Ya were the one goin’ all out.’

‘Let’s say we both got more than our share of love.’ He kisses his fillyfriend. ‘I think I’ve had enough sex to last the month.’

Apple Bloom laughs and nuzzles her coltfriend. ‘Agreed.’

In the office, Freya grimaces and sticks out her tongue, disgusted. She shakes her head to rid the thoughts from her head as she flies away.

Applejack stretches as she gets out of bed. She trots past Satsuma’s room as she heads to the washroom. On her way back to her room, she fails to notice the new card sitting by Satsuma’s glasses. She looks out the window at the stars when she gets back to her room.

‘Hope ya are havin’ a great Hearts and Hooves too, Twi and Jimmy.’

Applejack yawns and turns away. A scratching noise outside draws her back to the window. She thinks she hears muffled cussing. A small bat pony holding a rabbit plush climbs out of Satsuma’s window. Applejack ducks back into the shadows. Freya looks around nervously before flying away. Applejack comes out of hiding. She smiles as she watches the bat pony flying away.

‘Shy’s filly, huh?’ She laughs. ‘Maybe Ah might have t’ tell her mom ‘bout this...’

Author's Note:

The title is based on 137 Short Scenes About Hearts and Hooves Day from TWP.

Del Timeline: Truffle sorta asks her on an almost date. Is she ever going to have a real date?

Satsuma Timeline: He gets crushed by all the cards and gifts. Freya leaves him a card.

PreviousChapters Next