• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Dinner Date

Main Characters: Applejack, Satsuma, Fluttershy, Freya
Cameos: Big Macintosh, Kain, Sunshine
Original Start Date: February 21, 2014


Fluttershy smiles and nods as she talks on her phone. ‘That sounds like a wonderful idea. I am sure the family will love it.’ She pauses. ‘Yes, Sunshine too.’ She thinks. ‘I don’t know... How about this Friday?’ She nods. ‘Great. I look forward to getting together.’

‘Me too,’ Applejack replies. ‘See ya soon, Shy.’

She hangs up her phone and trots through her house. She heads upstairs and checks on Satsuma. The colt lies on his bed, reading. His Hearts and Hooves cards sit on his desk next to his homework.

‘How are the thank ya cards comin’?’

Satsuma turns a page. ‘Almost done.’

‘That’s good.’

‘Then I’ll get started on them.’

Applejack hangs her head and lets out an exasperated sigh. She trots over and closes her son’s book. She lifts him by the scruff of the neck and sets him at his desk. ‘Now write.’

‘Yes, mom,’ Satsuma moans.

‘If it makes ya feel better, ya don’ have t’ write one fer Shy’s kids.’ She smiles. ‘That is, if ya got one from one o’ them.’

Her son digs through his stack of cards. ‘Yeah... I got one from Freya.’ He sets down the card. ‘Why don’t I have to give one to her?’

Applejack laughs. ‘Cause Ah invited the whole family t’ dinner this Friday. Ya can tell Freya how much ya liked the card t’ her face.’

‘Can’t I do that with everypony else at school?’

Applejack stares at her son incredulously. ‘Ya really think Ah’d fall fer that?’

Satsuma sighs and starts working on the cards. ‘Worth a shot.’

‘Ya and yer father...’ Applejack rolls her eyes and shakes her head as she trots away.

‘Can I do just one card for them all to share?’ Satsuma calls. ‘How about a mass email?’

‘Jus’ like yer father...’

Friday evening. Fluttershy and her family trot towards Sweet Apple Acres. Fluttershy carries a box on her back. Kain flies around, looking at all the trees. Freya tries to hide behind her parents.

‘Are all these trees theirs?’ Kain asks.

‘That’s generally the case with orchards,’ Sunshine replies.

‘Part of the orchard is a vampire fruit bat preserve,’ Fluttershy informs. ‘They help keep the orchard strong and healthy while improving the quality of the apples. It is all due to the digestive process they put the apple seeds through.’

Freya gives her mom a sick look.

‘Not that anypony here knows a thing or two about fruit vampires,’ Sunshine jokes.

Fluttershy stops and snarls at her husband, one of her long canines showing.

‘Is that a barn?’ Kain asks, flying ahead.

‘Kain, you know it is,’ his mother sighs. ‘You used to come with me when I would check on the fruit bats for Applejack.’

‘Yeah, but that was a long time ago when I was a baby. I don’t remember that stuff.’

Freya covers a laugh.

‘Hey! I remember stuff well-enough to pass my tests. I don’t get bad grades.’

‘Could be better though, son,’ Sunshine comments. ‘Especially if you want to be a Lunar Guard when you grow up.’

The young bat pony groans. His sister sticks her tongue out at him. The family reaches Applejack’s house. Sunshine knocks on the front door. Satsuma answers.

‘Uh, come on in,’ the colt says, leading the way. ‘Mom! They’re here!’

The family follows Satsuma to a living room. The colt returns the book he was reading. Applejack enters from the kitchen.

‘Howdy!’ the host greets. ‘Great t’ have ya come out.’

‘It is our pleasure,’ Fluttershy replies. ‘Thank you for inviting us.’ She gives her box to Applejack. ‘I made you a cake. I hope you don’t mind.’

‘Course Ah don’ mind, Shy. Y’all jus’ make yerselves at home. Ah should have everythin’ ready in a bit.’

‘Do you need any help?’ Fluttershy offers.

‘Don’ worry. Ah got it. Jus’ get comfy. If ya need somethin’, jus’ ask Satsuma.’

The colt groans, trying to hid behind his book. Sunshine finds a spot to sit and Fluttershy joins him. Freya looks at Satsuma then hides by her parents. Kain looks around the house.

‘Who’s this old pony in all these photos?’ the young bat pony asks.

‘That is Granny Smith,’ Satsuma says, glancing up. ‘She is my great-grandmother. I didn’t really know her before she died.’

Fluttershy frowns. ‘You mother and Apple Bloom were so sad when they lost her. It was so bad that they were still fighting then. They didn't have the comfort of family...’

Satsuma nods. ‘You and Miss Rarity came around a lot back then, I remember.’

‘Is your uncle around?’ Sunshine asks.

‘Big Mac should be in soon. He was finishing up his chores.’

As if on cue, a door opens in the house. Applejack is heard talking to somepony. Heavy hoofsteps are heard heading to a washroom. Applejack comes back to the room.

‘Everythin’s ready. Mac will join us in a moment. Come on in.’

Applejack leads her guests to the dining room. Several dishes are set out on the table. Applejack motions to a seat at the head of the table for Sunshine. Fluttershy and Kain take the seats at either side of him. Applejack sits next to her friend. Freya sits with her brother and nervously watches as Satsuma sits by her. She squeaks and hides behind Angel when he glances towards her. Big Macintosh enters the room and takes the last seat by his sister and nephew. He reaches for a dish, but his sister slaps his hoof.

‘Befer we begin,’ Applejack starts, ‘Ah think Satsuma has somethin’ he has t’ say.’

The colt groans and blushes from the attention. He looks over at Freya. ‘Uh, thanks for the Hearts and Hooves card. It was, uh, really nice.’

Freya squeaks, holds up Angel to cover her embarrassment and nods. Kain covers snickering, but his sister catches him and hits him in the foreleg.

‘She is glad you like it,’ Fluttershy translates.

Big Macintosh’s stomach growls.

Applejack laughs. ‘Ah think we can all agree t’ that. Let’s eat!’

The ponies pass around the dishes, loading up their plates. Kain looks quizzically at the food placed in front of him.

‘What is this stuff?’ the colt asks, poking some fruit salad.

‘Ah decided t’ make some o’ our favorites,’ Applejack replies. ‘We got a lot o’ fruit dishes, includin’ our special fruit salad.’

‘What’s in it?’ Kain picks up a piece of fruit. ‘What is this?’

‘Looks like pineapple,’ his mother replies.

Applejack blushes. ‘Yeah, uh, we got a couple bushes round back… Ya know, fer variety.’

‘Isn’t pineapple James’ favorite?’

The farmer pulls her hat down to cover her face. ‘M-maybe...’

‘Well, they are very good,’ Sunshine compliments. ‘Testament to your skill as a farmer.’

‘G-glad ya like ‘em.’

Kain holds up a small orange. ‘What’s this?’

Satsuma rolls his eyes. ‘That is a satsuma, like my name.’

‘But they are not apples.’

The older colt snorts and goes back to his meal. Freya secretly takes more satsumas from the fruit bowl.

‘I didn’t know you had those, either,’ Sunshine says. ‘You never have them at your stall.’

Applejack continues trying to avoid everypony’s gaze. ‘W-well, t-technically they’re not mine. They’re Satsuma’s.’ She stares at her plate. ‘Ah liked some Jimmy got fer me once. After Satsuma was born, he helped me put in the trees. They were a gift fer his son. Ah sell some o’ them and the pineapples, but they are always gone quick.’

Sunshine eats some of the fruit. ‘They are quite delicious.’ He smiles at Satsuma. ‘You’re as great a farmer as your mom.’

Applejack frowns and looks away. ‘Ya don’ have t’ patronize me like that...’

Big Macintosh nods and mumbles, ‘Eeyup.’

His sister and nephew glare at him.

Sunshine snorts. ‘Applejack, it has been eight years. By now…’ He shakes his head. ‘Never mind.’

Everypony eats in silence for a moment.

‘These are really good tarts,’ Fluttershy compliments.

‘I always loved your baking, Applejack,’ Sunshine adds.

‘So good,’ Kain says between mouthfuls

His mother laughs. ‘Now you know why I always buy all your baked goods. We all love them.’

‘Good t’ know ya still do,’ Applejack replies, smiling. She chuckles. ‘Now that AB and Ah are on good terms again, she can help makin’ Zap Apple jams and such. She was always much better at it than Ah am.’ She tries holding back more chuckling. ‘Though Satsuma looks really cute in his bunny outfit.’

‘MOM!’ her son complains.

Freya’s eyes go wide. She holds Angel over her mouth and makes a squeak that sounds like ‘bunny’.

‘What do you mean “bunny outfit”? Fluttershy asks.

‘T’ get the most out o’ Zap Apples, the water need t’ be treated proper,’ Applejack explains, ‘and that means dressin’ like a bunny and hoppin’ ‘round the water cans. Ah can show you pictures.’

‘I should burn those,’ her son simmers.

‘Ya think Ah don’ have backups?’ Applejack laughs again. ‘Ya should be excited. When Ah told yer brother, Starlight was so excited t’ help out that he started drawin forms fer a bunny suit o his own.’

Satsuma grumbles and returns to his meal. Kain barely contains laughter at his classmate. Everypony enjoys their dinner and their friendly conversation.

After dinner. Satsuma has Freya and Kain up in his room. The host sits on his bed, reading. Freya plays with Angel in a corner. Kain looks around the room.

‘Do you have anything we can play?’ the bat pony colt asks. ‘Video games? Board games? Whatever?’

‘I don’t have much,’ Satsuma replies. ‘I’m not into that as much as my siblings.’

‘Yeah. Mom and Rei are pretty good at games. You should get her to teach you.’

‘I prefer to get comics and other reading material when I see her.’

‘You mean the dirty stuff she gets in trouble for when mom finds out?’

Freya facehoofs.

Satsuma sighs. ‘No. Not that. I mean like books about Neighpon or Neighponese novels.’

‘Oh.’ Kain continues looking around. ‘You know, she has a lot of dirty stuff too.’

The other colt rolls his eyes and goes back to his books. Freya scowls at her brother.

‘What? It is not like I look at them or anything,’ Kain defends. ‘I just know she has them.’

Freya marches over and stares down at her brother. Satsuma looks up, wondering what the others are doing.

‘Well, if you tell mom that I know, I’ll tell her that you look at them too.’

Freya hits Kain with Angel.

The young colt slumps, defeated. ‘Fine. I’m sorry.’

Freya nods and starts back towards her corner.

‘What just happened?’ Satsuma asks.

Kain looks up. ‘What do you mean?’

‘Well, it looked like you had a conversation, but I didn’t hear her say anything. And believe me, I have good hearing.’

Kain scratches his head. ‘I guess I understand what you mean. That is just how Freya is. We all just understand her.’

Satsuma looks at Freya. ‘But are you saying anything?’

Freya nods. She tilts her head and smiles.

‘Uh...’

‘She said that nonverbal communication can be a powerful skill once you learn it,’ Kain translates.

‘Very concise too...’

Freya frowns and narrows her gaze at Satsuma.

‘Watch it. … Her words. Not mine.’

Satsuma rolls his eyes. ‘Whatever. Guess it is just another thing to study.’ He looks at Freya. ‘You’ll have to show me some time.’

Freya smiles and nods excitedly. Kain covers a laugh. His sister turns and glares at him, revealing her fangs. He yelps and goes back to looking for games.

Satsuma turns a page. ‘Console’s by the TV, genius.’

‘I knew that!’

Freya laughs at her brother as he sets up the games.

Downstairs. The adults sit in the living room and catch up over coffee.

‘Thank you for inviting us,’ Sunshine says, sipping his coffee. ‘It has been a long time since we got a chance to catch up like this.’

Applejack frowns and looks away. ‘Far too long. Sorry.’

‘Um, is this, uh, fresh cappuccino?’ Fluttershy asks.

‘His favorite too...’ Sunshine mutters.

Applejack silently sips her coffee.

‘It is okay, Applejack,’ the stallion says. ‘It has been eight years. I am not angry at you anymore. Hell, I really appreciate that you thought to invite all of us to visit. It is a reminder of how good a pony you are.’

‘Still feels bad how much Ah hurt ya. Ya didn’ deserve it.’

‘And when I found out that you helped Fluttershy court me, how was I supposed to feel about that?’

Applejack does not reply.

‘I was still upset that you betrayed me, but I was happy that you cared enough about me and your friend to help us both.’

‘Ah’m glad t’ have helped ya and Shy. Ya both mean a lot t’ me.’

‘Applejack, you are always a good friend,’ Fluttershy replies. ‘We are glad you are a friend to our family.’ She smiles. ‘Especially now that Freya is showing an interest in Satsuma.’

Applejack laughs. ‘He’s as thick as his father when it comes t’ a filly’s intentions. He’ll be in high school befer he realizes all the fillies that are int’ him.’

Sunshine snorts, ‘You mean there is more than just Freya?’

‘Ya shoulda seen the stack o’ cards he brought home. Like the card that broke the pony’s back.’

‘Wonderful.’

‘Oh, Freya can keep him in line,’ Fluttershy assures. ‘... If her crush lasts long enough for him to realize it.’

The parents laugh about their kids and continue chatting.

After the guests have left, Applejack trots through her house after cleaning up. Her brother rests in his room, worn out after a long day. Satsuma continues to read in his room.

‘Did ya have a good evenin’?’ Applejack asks, popping in her son’s room.

‘It was fun, I guess,’ Satsuma replies.

‘Did ya have fun spendin’ time with yer friends?’

‘Sure?’

‘Did ya get t’ know them better?’

Satsuma looks up and shrugs.

Applejack sighs then laughs. ‘Anyway, don’ stay up too late. Ya don’ wanna get sick or nothin’.’

‘Yes, mom. Whatever.’

Back at their cottage, Fluttershy tucks her kids in their beds. Kain lays face first in his pillow ready for sleep. Freya settles in with Angel in her hooves.

‘Did you two have fun?’ their mother asks.

‘Yes, mom,’ Kain moans.

Freya nods.

‘That’s good, Maybe we can invite them over here sometime.’

‘Okay...’ Kain mumbles, falling asleep.

‘Yes, please,’ Freya whispers.

Fluttershy smiles, kisses her children on the head then leaves them to go to sleep.

Author's Note:

Applejack Timeline: Makes peace with Sunshine.

Satsuma Timeline: Gets to know Freya and Kain a little better. Shows interest in learning about how Freya 'speaks'.

PreviousChapters Next