• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,341 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,341

PreviousChapters Next
Achievement Get

Main Characters: Starlight, Pipsqueak, Featherweight
Cameos: Lucas, Mimi, Dinky, Satsuma
Original Start Date: July 18, 2013


Starlight taps away at his computer while levitating a drink. ‘Come on, guys. This should be an easy one,’ he says into his headset.

`It is just three of us. Give us a moment,` Pipsqueak hisses back.

`I-I’m set up. Let’s do this,` Featherweight speaks up.

Starlight and his friends move their characters through the game, effortlessly defeating every foe in their path.

`Pretty odd of you to be on this early in the night,` Pip comments.

‘Apple Bloom left to see her cousin by the time I returned from school today,’ Starlight replies. ‘She won’t be back until sometime next week. I have nothing better to... Featherweight, you got that?’

`On it!`

`So, you have nothing better to do than play with your mates? Thanks.`

Featherweight groans. `Please don’t say it like that... Pip! Watch it!`

`I saw it!`

Starlight sighs. ‘What are you guys doing this weekend?’

`What do you mean?` Featherweight asks.

‘Just want to hang out or something? Gonna be bored cooped up all alone without my love.’

Pip groans, `Calm down, you wanker.`

‘Please. After our first date, I moved into her room with her. We turned my old room into an office. I think it was my mom’s office too...’

`Don’t think he was talking to me either,` Featherweight adds. `Thanks to how loud Scootaloo is, I think half the town knows when she has me over.`

Pip grumbles. `Whatever. Dinky and I are working on it.`

‘Back to my original question. Want to do something?’

`Despite your less-than-friendly ribbing, I’m down for an adventure,` Pip replies. `What do you have in mind?`

`Maybe we can cross the Everfree and meet up with your fillyfriend,` Featherweight jokes.

`Chrysalis only took that form to trick me! I didn’t mean to kiss her! I told Dinky about it after Daring and I got back!`

Starlight chuckles. ‘Sounds fun. How about we try and find some things to do tomorrow? We’ll meet after school lets out. I’ll pay for the coffee.’

`Order whatever we want?` Pip laughs. `I’m in, if just for the coffee.`

`Y-yeah. Might make a good story.`

`Now that that’s decided, Featherweight, watch your rear! Starlight... Never mind. You got it.`

Starlight smiles and focuses on the game.

Starlight teleports to the local coffee shop after school lets out. Pipsqueak and Featherweight are waiting for him.

Pip lowers a cup. ‘You owe me a few quid for the refreshments.’

‘Yeah, yeah.’ Starlight signals a waiter. ‘So, what do you have?’

‘I couldn’t think of any ideas. Sorry,’ Featherweight apologizes.

‘That’s all fine,’ Pip sighs. ‘I’m grounded.’

‘What happened?’ Starlight asks after giving his order to the waiter.

‘Got into an argument while haggling with a customer at the store. Cost a big sale. I’m not allowed to leave town for the weekend.’

‘So, then you’re free?’ Starlight smirks.

‘What do you have in mind?’

‘Lucas is running a tournament at my dad’s store. I say we enter a few games.’

‘Us? In a tourny?’ Pip sips his drink. ‘Don’t know.’

‘Could be fun,’ Featherweight says. ‘We can at least see what we can sign up for. Though they might not let you in, Starlight.’

‘Pfft! Just because my parents are great gamers doesn’t mean I am too.’

‘That’s for sure,’ Pip agrees.

‘What does that mean?’

‘Just saying that if you want to make it out of the prelims, you really need to step up your game. I’ve seen the way you play. My gran can beat you.’

‘Is that a fact?’

‘G-guys!’ Featherweight interrupts. ‘Let’s check out the games. Maybe we can be a team. We don’t have to play against each other.’

‘It’s all good.’ Starlight levitates his drink before it arrives. ‘Even if we were one-on-one, I’d prove more than a match for anypony.’

Pip scoffs, ‘As they say, bring it on.’

The three friends look over the game listing at The Power Block. Mimi trots around the store while Lucas watches his customers.

‘Looks like they have our game on here,’ Featherweight notes.

‘See anything else you like?’ Starlight asks.

‘Looking for something for me to whoop you in?’ Pip taunts.

‘You pick the game. I’ll bring the flank-kicking.’

Lucas looks over. ‘You’re signing up? Isn’t it a little unfair to the other players?’

Starlight opens his mouth to speak, but Pip interrupts him. ‘I know I am good, but I am not the best. This would be a good test of my skills.’

‘I was talking to Starlight.’

‘Him? He’s not that good.’

‘Oh, really? I would have thought with his parents and sister...’

Starlight shrugs. ‘I might not be as good as them, but I can still hold my own.’

‘Hm. Then I guess you both are entering the Iron Pony of Gaming.’

‘What’s that?’

‘Your father created it. It is sort of like the Omegathon at PAX, only on our scale.’

Featherweight nods. ‘It is pretty cool. I covered it once... before my editor stopped reporting on this district...’

‘I have no idea where all those angry letters about the mischaracterization of nerd culture came from!’ Lucas blurts out.

Starlight laughs. ‘Dad appreciates your loyalty.’

The older unicorn smiles. ‘Anyway. You signing up?’

Starlight and Pip look at each other and smirk.

The next day, gamers fill Ponyville’s Nerd District for the first day of tournaments. The other shops have busy displays as well. Rei and Scootaloo sell snacks at a makeshift cafe. Diamond Tiara sits behind their display and does some trading on her tablet. Featherweight visits his fillyfriend before looking for the others. He finds Starlight playing games at The Saving Throw. The unicorn rolls his dice and smiles.

‘And, that’s game.’

The other players groan.

‘Don’t complain,’ Dream Maker sighs. ‘He didn’t cheat. I would have detected it.’

‘It’s all good,’ Starlight says. ‘Let them have my prize. I have something I need to take care of.’ The unicorn gets up and joins Featherweight.

‘Getting started early,’ the pegasus comments.

‘Like I said, I’m really bored without the loveliest love to have ever been loved around. I needed something to occupy my mind, so I got up early and came here.’

‘You’re really at wits end without Apple Bloom around.’

‘You can’t fight true love.’

‘I think the showrunner’s wife might have something to say about that,’ Pip yawns as he trots up with Dinky.

‘Good morning, Pip, Dinky,’ Featherweight greets.

‘Hey, guys! Gonna kick some flank?’ Dinky cheers.

‘Well, we all know somepony who is,’ Pip brags.

Dinky rolls her eyes. ‘Ever since we helped your dad out, he’s thinks he is hot stuff. Even grew that stupid goatee.’

‘It’s cool!’ Pip whines.

‘Next, you’re going to be wearing a bow tie...’

‘Dinky...’

Starlight laughs. ‘Thanks for coming out, Dinky.’

‘Of course! Anything for Pip.’

The young stallion smiles. ‘I knew we would need a fourth for our game, so Dinky can help us there and be our cheering section.’

Dinky glares at her coltfriend. ‘Between the two of us, only one of us has worn a cheerleader’s outfit, and it wasn’t me.’

‘Dinky! Don’t say that outloud!’

Starlight leans to Featherweight. ‘Pics?’

Pip growls and trots ahead. ‘Don’t we have a tournament to win?’

His friends laugh and follow. In front of The Power Block, Lucas and Mimi run a stage with several consoles. Monitors allow the audience to watch the games. One by one, the ponies on stage get eliminated from the game and set down their controllers. Eventually, one player is left standing. The crowd cheers. Mimi goes to the winner.

‘Congratulations, Storm Runner, for winning our Legend of Celestia three-heart run race!’

The bat pony takes a bow.

‘See my husband for your prize.’

The crowd applauds as the winner trots away. Mimi takes a drink before returning to the stage.

‘Everypony, thank you for coming out,’ the changeling says. ‘We’re not the only shop on display today, so check everypony out. But! Before you go, the first round of The Iron Pony of Gaming is about to begin. Give the contestants a few moments to come to the stage and we’ll begin.’

Mimi gets another drink while the contestants gather. Lucas checks everypony in and points them towards their consoles. Dinky gives Pip a kiss before he and Starlight go to the stage. Starlight greets all the other competitors. One of them groans and avoids the friendly pony.

‘Oh, no. You’re not getting past without... Satsuma?’

The young colt grimaces. ‘Hi, Starlight. Bugging me on my days off now?’

‘Good seeing you here. You playing to win too?’

Satsuma adjusts his glasses. ‘Not really. I’m not that much of a gamer, though mom does get me games when I ask for them. I only play for fun, and this is a good test of my skill.’

Starlight ruffles his brother’s mane. ‘Ha. You’re a fun one, little bro.’

The younger pony grumbles and goes to his station. Everypony takes their place, and the event begins.

Starlight checks the standings after the first round. He smiles, noting that he, Satsuma and Pip are near the top. The happy unicorn trots around the district. His friends wait at a table outside Neighponese Imports. Rei sets down a tray of snacks as her brother joins the group. Featherweight scribbles notes.

‘We’re looking pretty good so far,’ Starlight comments.

‘Still plenty of room for you to fail,’ Pip snarks.

‘Pip, be nice,’ Dinky scolds. ‘Starlight did really well.’

‘I did better.’

Scootaloo sits and takes one of the snacks. ‘I’d whoop you both if I were allowed to enter.’

‘Paycheque!’ Rei calls from the counter.

The pegasus grumbles and returns to work. Starlight takes a snack.

‘When’s your team tournament?’ Dinky asks.

‘First round should be after our second round later today,’ Pip replies. ‘Just a few hours from now.’

‘You’re in one of the team tournies?’ Satsuma says.

‘Yep. I’m going to win two awards this event,’ Starlight laughs. ‘Gonna be fun.’

Pip rolls his eyes. ‘You keep saying you’re going to win, but you and I both know you’re going to lose to me.’

‘Not unless he popped to the future and cheated,’ Satsuma points out.

‘How rude,’ the older brother snorts. ‘Anyway, I have skills you never seen. It won’t be that easy a win.’

‘Whatever.’

Starlight huffs and looks at his brother. ‘Hey, why isn’t Del competing? I thought dad raised all of us with a controller in our hooves.’

Satsuma shrugs. ‘Del isn’t much of a gamer. She only comes out here to get snacks.’

‘And we’re eating these in the open? Unprotected? How are they not gone already? Is this a sign of the apocalypse?!’

The young colt stares incredulously. ‘And why do you think you’re the older one?’

Hours later, the friends trot home together. They are in high spirits after doing so well in their games. Featherweight jots notes about the event. Satsuma lets out a big yawn as he trots beside his brother.

‘Want to stay over?’ Starlight offers. ‘I can call your mom.’

‘I’ll be fine. Catch ya tomorrow.’

Satsuma waves and yawns as he breaks away.

‘You did pretty well today,’ Dinky compliments.

‘Just a few more rounds until I win,’ Pip taunts. ‘Easiest tournament ever.’

‘Don’t know,’ Starlight sighs. ‘There’s always a chance you can lose.’

‘You keep saying that, but you have yet to step up.’

‘That’s because I’m having fun. Not everything has to be a competition. We’re having just as much of an adventure just by doing this.’

‘I haven’t really seen much adventure in this...’

Dinky groans and rolls her eyes. ‘What do you know about adventures?’

‘It is my cutie mark! I was born to adventure!’

‘You and Daring crossed the Everfree once so you could collect changeling artefacts from Queen Chrysalis. I saw them in your parents’ storeroom last week. Big adventure.’

‘Dinky...’

‘Ah, come on! That sounds fun!’ Starlight cheers. ‘Changelings and forests and artefacts. All the elements of a good time.’

The young mare shrugs. ‘I guess so... I mean, if a time traveller thinks it is cool...’ She smiles. ‘Hey, Starlight. What was your first adventure?’

‘Hmm. That’s a tough one. Um... Well, my mom has this spell. She calls it ‘Dark Matter’, and she doesn’t know I know it.’

‘What does it do?’

‘Basically, it increases the gravity around the target and compresses it into a mini black hole. There’s not enough energy to sustain it, so it collapses almost instantly. It works on anything, even Dalekanium.’

‘Oh! I know that one!’ Dinky gasps. ‘My mom talked about them when she used to travel with The Doctor.’

‘Then you know how scary they are. Anyway, let’s just say they don’t like the Dark Matter spell.’

‘That is so cool!’

Dinky keeps asking Starlight questions about his time travelling. Featherweight flies behind them, jotting notes. Pip growls and follows his friends.

Starlight wakes to a loud knocking at the library’s front door. He grumbles as he teleports downstairs.

‘Calm down, Porky,’ the stallion moans. ‘The meteorite will be there in the morning.’

Pipsqueak glares at the host when he opens the door.

‘Little early to start practicing?’ Starlight yawns.

‘Stay away from my fillyfriend!’

‘Whoa! Where’s this coming from? She’s all yours, dude.’

‘Knock it off! I know you were telling all those stories to impress her. Everypony knows your father’s reputation. Just look at what he left Miss Pie and Miss Applejack. You’re trying for the same.’

‘Pipsqueak. Dinky is yours. I am not the least bit interested in her. She is a good friend, but I would never even think of going after her when I have Apple Bloom.’

‘Well, just, uh...’ Pip stammers. ‘Just stay away from her, okay!’

Starlight rolls his eyes. ‘Can I get some sleep for tomorrow now?’

‘Hmpf. Thought you would be up training after your showing today.’

‘It is still today?’ Starlight shakes his head. ‘Dude, like I told you earlier, I am having fun. You should too. Get the joystick out of your plot.’

Pip scoffs and turns away. ‘And that is why you’re going to lose the competition.’

‘Excuse me!’

‘You heard me. You’re not competitive enough and your “for fun” attitude is going to get you defeated early on.’

‘You know what? I was having fun but if that it is your attitude, consider it brought. Try to keep up.’

‘Whatever. Your brother can take you.’

‘And I would be proud of him if he could. Just try to keep up with us.’

Starlight slams the door and storms back to his room.

The Iron Pony of Gaming competitors gather for the next round. Starlight trots up with Applejack and Satsuma. Applejack kisses her son on the head before he goes on stage with the others. Starlight laughs at his embarrassed brother, but he instantly stops when he passes Pipsqueak. The other young stallion snorts and looks away.

Lucas levitates a mic in front of him as he steps forward. ‘Thank you for returning to our second day of competition. We have the next round of The Iron Pony of Gaming up now. They are about halfway through, and it is still anypony’s game.’ He goes to an array of computers. ‘This round, they will be playing Bookworm. Like all of the point-based games, the player with the highest score will receive maximum points with the rest of the players receiving points proportional to that score. Now, if the players will kindly take their seats.’

The ponies go to their assigned computers. Starlight stops Satsuma for a second.

‘Is there a problem, Starlight?’ Mimi asks.

‘No. Just asking him how fast he can type.’

‘Why?’

Starlight takes his seat. ‘Just estimating how many points will be given out for second place.’

The competitors stare in shock at the scoreboard. Starlight calmly stands to the side. His and Satsuma’s scores are the only with more points. Lucas clears his throat as he turns to the audience.

‘Well, uh, we never had to give out fractional points before...’ the unicorn stammers. He shakes his head. ‘Anyway. The top eight move on. Uh... Sorry to those who did well, but a thousandth of a point... Yeah...’

Most of the competitors grumble as they leave. Lucas pulls Starlight aside.

‘Should have warned you,’ Starlight says. ‘With my mom, I’ve been getting max score on that game since I was five.’

‘Starlight, you said you weren’t that good...’

‘I’m not... compared to my parents.’ He glares at the stage. ‘And I would have kept holding back if it wasn’t for...’

‘What is done is done. I’m not going to tell you to hold back, but at least your father made it look like the others had a chance.’

‘To be fair, Satsuma...’

‘You’re lucky your brother is here to keep you in line. Don’t make me call your sister too.’

Starlight groans and trots away. ‘You are so fired.’

Lucas huffs and returns to work. ‘Just like your father...’

Starlight and his friends eat lunch. He and Pipsqueak shoot each other angry looks as Scootaloo brings them their meal.

‘There ya go,’ the pegasus says. ‘Rei threw in some extra takoyaki for her winning brothers.’

‘Thanks, Scootaloo,’ Featherweight replies. ‘Liking the games so far?’

‘Meh. Rather be out there if not for...’

‘Paycheque!’ Rei calls.

Scootaloo scowls. She kisses Featherweight. ‘Just kick some flank in your game next round.’

The friends dig in.

‘You did pretty good, Satsuma,’ Starlight mentions.

‘Thanks. I would have done better, but I’m not as fast as you.’ Satsuma tries one of the takoyaki, smiles and has another one. ‘Say, why didn’t you ask me to be on your team for your game? I’m pretty good at it too.’

Starlight shrugs. ‘It was supposed to be just the three of us, but Dinky was a big help.’

‘Thank you.’ Dinky smiles. ‘I’m having fun too.’

‘If you don’t mind though, can you sit out the next round?’

‘What? Why?’

‘Well, I just want to get it back to the three of us guys. You know, how we originally signed up.’

‘Are you sure? I guess it is okay if that is what you want.’

‘Scared she’ll show you up too?’ Pip scoffs.

Starlight glares at his friend and turns to Featherweight. ‘Is it okay if it is just the three of us?’

Featherweight looks at his two friends. ‘Um... Hey! I’m going to get more takoyaki from Scootaloo! My treat!’

The pegasus dashes away, after hastily hiding his notebook under his wing.

Dinky rolls her eyes. ‘Boys...’ She follows Featherweight. ‘I’m going to get us some drinks.’

Starlight and Pip grumble and eat the snacks. Satsuma watches the two older ponies, sighs and munches his snack.

At the team tournament, Starlight’s team plays in the final round. Pip and Featherweight glare intently at their monitors. Pip keeps looking over at Starlight. The unicorn is playing two characters at once while drinking a soda and reading a comic. Pip finds the final opponent. He smirks as he lines up his attack. The opponent is eliminated before Pip gets a chance to attack. The earth pony barely contains himself as he hits the table. Featherweight instantly starts writing notes in his notebook.

‘And the last player falls!’ Lucas cheers. ‘Once again, to Starlight. Not only did you lead your team to victory, but I think you got both first and second place in kills just from today’s performance.’

The young unicorn gets up and shrugs. ‘No big deal. As any gaming unicorn can tell you: tap into the keyboard, and you can play as fast as you want, barring buffer limitations.’

‘Pretty impressive, playing two roles at once,’ Mimi compliments.

‘I could have played all four, but I needed Pip here to slow me down to make it fair for the other team.’

Pip grunts and storms offstage. Dinky frowns and chases her coltfriend.

Starlight smirks. ‘Guess he can’t handle the competition.’

At the Iron Pony of Gaming semi-finals, the final four are playing two games of Jenga. Satsuma squares off against Pip. The two earth ponies are evenly matched. Starlight and his opponent have not started yet. Neither want to make the first move. Mimi hovers around their table.

‘You have to go sometime,’ the changeling huffs.

Starlight leans forward. ‘Two moves.’

‘W-what?’ the other pony stammers.

The unicorn levitates a piece from the middle of the stack. ‘I’ll beat you in just two moves.’

There is a crash from the other table. Satsuma swears as he loses. Starlight’s opponent nervously makes a safe play. The unicorn smiles and removes another block. The other pony reaches out, his hoof shaking. He grips a block, but his shaking causes the tower to collapse. Starlight laughs to himself as he gets up and offers a friendly hoof to the opponent.

‘That was dirty,’ Mimi hisses into Starlight’s ears. ‘Your father would be proud.’

The changeling goes to the store to get the final round ready. Starlight and Pip trot to center stage.

‘No real surprise who the finalists are,’ Lucas says into his mic. ‘They’ve been at each other’s throats all competition...’ he mumbles. ‘We should be set up soon, so take a moment to get ready.’

‘I’m always ready,’ Starlight replies.

Pip snorts at his friend. The two stallions step aside and wait for the game to be set up. Pip takes a moment to catch his breath. Dinky levitates him a drink, but he refuses. Starlight watches the prep with a confused look.

‘Lucas, is that a..?’

‘Yep. The shop has everything.’

Starlight shakes his head. ‘Wow. I thought they discontinued Kinect after everyone realized they were used to spy on users and sell their data for in-game advertising.’

‘We modded these to remove those functions. They are harmless... except for the bodily harm from using one as a controller.’

‘Then what are you using the-’

Lucas trots forward. ‘The final round of the Iron Pony of Gaming is about to begin!’

The crowd cheers.

‘For the final round, Starlight and Pipsqueak will be playing Kinect Mortal Combat!’

The crowd cheers again.

Satsuma looks up at his mom. ‘Isn’t that the game that caused Uncle Mac to kick the TV through the wall?’

Applejack laughs nervously. Starlight and Pip step in front of the unit and get scanned for the game. The game loads, and they select their characters.

‘Players, ready?’ Lucas asks. They grunt. ‘Okay. Fight!’

The competitors strike fighting poses. They start making mock attacks and blocks. Starlight actually has to duck when a punch comes too close to him. He growls and tries tripping Pip. The earth pony jumps and tries kicking Starlight. The unicorn blocks the attack and hits Pip in the chest. The attack is countered by a punch to the face. Starlight tackles Pip to the ground. He gets one punch in before they are magically separated. Lucas carries them into the store.

‘One second. We’re having technical difficulties,’ Mimi tells the crowd.

After a scolding, Starlight and Pip sit on the floor in Lucas’ office. The unicorn has an ice pack over his eye. The earth pony has his head back and tissues up his nose. Outside, the crowd cheers.

‘I could have taken you,’ Pip mumbles.

‘Ha. You almost got my Tiger Uppercut.’

Pip laughs. Starlight joins in. They laugh for a moment before Pip stops to catch his breath.

‘I really was an ass, wasn’t I?’ the earth pony states. ‘But you were holding back on us.’

‘I wanted you to have fun too!’ Starlight defends. ‘It would have been no fun if I just dominated everything.’

The crowd cheers again.

‘I wonder who won.’

‘It was your brother,’ Dinky replies as she enters. ‘Lucas had your runners up fight.’

‘Way to go, little bro.’

‘Are you two friends again?’

They young stallions look at each other. ‘Yeah!’

‘Good! Then I want to get to your sister’s shop before she is out of takoyaki.’

Dinky helps Pip up. He asks, ‘What is that anyway?’

‘Octopus balls. I can’t get enough of them.’

‘Told you she wasn’t after mine,’ Starlight chuckles.

‘What?’

‘Nothing!’ Pip shouts. ‘Let’s go.’

The three friends trot out together. As they exit the office, Featherweight follows, taking notes on everything. ‘This is going to be a great blog entry.’

Author's Note:

Starlight Timeline: First time he fires Lucas.

Story Event: The story is a spiritual successor to Level Up, where TWP had a bit of a fight with a rude pony at a gaming festival. That chapter was also Lucas' first appearance.

Like the CMC or RSI, I wanted Starlight to have a group of guys to hangout with. This fell to my favorite male foals from the show, Featherweight and Pipsqueak. This also fit the requirement of having one of each tribe in the group. Sadly, Pip doesn't come up as much as I would like, but he does have more appearances planned.

Story Note: If you are wondering where Button Mash is during this whole thing, he was likely defeated early on by Starlight and was crying to his mother. ... Or his amazing short hadn't been produced yet and I didn't want to rewrite the chapter to mention him and his mom, who is way better than Button in every aspect. (They will get mentions later. Trust me.)

RoH Crossover: Storm Runner, seen here as a cameo, was a bat pony (retconed from a pegasus) that Helios blew up in A Little Kindness. Don't worry. He was healed at the end of the chapter.

PreviousChapters Next