• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
Full Moon’s Farewell Tour

Main Characters: Sweetie Belle, Moon Glow, Chrysalis/Full Moon
Cameos: Arctic Fox, Princess Cadance, Shining Armor
Original Start Date: December 19, 2013


Sweetie Belle and Moon Glow are on edge as they make their way toward a door in a darkened building.

‘I don’t understand why you have me doing this,’ Moon Glow grumbles.

‘This is supposed to be a bonding experience,’ Sweetie replies. ‘Now bond or I’ll stab you.’

‘I can see why everypony loves you with that cuddly attitude.’

‘At least I don’t have to remove the stick before I start walking.’

‘That’s because yours is wedged too far up there to get out.’

Sweetie smirks. ‘Not like Image hasn’t done his best to reach.’

Moon Glow stops, a flush covering the cream mare’s face. ‘You and he have done… I mean, you let him try your… I… EWW!’

Sweetie’s face turns pink from her white fur and red blush. ‘No…’ she hisses. ‘We haven’t done that, but what we have done is far more than you would ever do.’

‘I’ve done plenty with him!’

‘One. Date.’ Sweetie turns her nose up. ‘We were doing things before I made him ask me out.’

‘That is because you’re a sl...’

The younger unicorn swiftly kicks back as she stops at the door. ‘Oh. We’re here.’

Moon Glow rubs her sore nose. ‘What is the “challenge” this time?’

‘Kiss.’

The older unicorn grimaces. ‘I’ll turn around.’

‘Just because I experimented a bit in the past...’

Moon Glow shines red with embarrassment. ‘Not there, you pervert!’

‘Oh. Well... Dang. I mean! Just pucker up!’

The mares scowl and move close. They stop, neither wanting to make the first move.

`Just a quick peck, then you may pass,` a distorted voice says over a speaker.

The unicorns take a breath and lean in. They quickly kiss then back away. Moon Glow leans in again and gives Sweetie another kiss. The younger mare pushes back. The cream unicorn falls to her back, panting. Sweetie steps over the prone mare. Moon Glow wraps her forelegs around the more aggressive mare.

Sweetie looks down and smiles. ‘You’re much better than when I had to do this with Dinky.’

Moon Glow smiles and blushes. ‘I can see why Image likes being with you.’

The white unicorn smiles coyly. ‘And that is only kissing.’

Sweetie leans down and kisses her analyst again. The door opens. Ruby Pinch steps through.

‘Good news!’ the magenta mare declares. ‘You passed. We’re ready for your party now.’ She sees the two mares making out in front of her and blushes brighter red than her coat. ‘I’ll give you a moment.’

Ruby scurries away to give the others some privacy.

Sweetie and Moon Glow trot through the Philharmonica Performing Arts Academy. The other students part for the two mares as they make their way to the headmaster’s office. They boldly enter and sit at Arctic Fox’s desk.

‘Good to see you on time,’ the pegasus comments. ‘Also good to see you together for once.’

‘We had some bonding time last night,’ Sweetie explains.

‘And a bowling party afterwards,’ Moon Glow adds.

Arctic nods. ‘That explains why you failed to start your new mission last night.’

‘New mission? What new mission?’

The pegasus gives Moon Glow a folder. ‘Bit of a singing tour slash protection detail. The client requested to perform with you specifically.’

Moon Glow opens the folder. ‘Full Moon?! Full Moon wants to perform with you.’

Sweetie’s jaw drops. ‘J-just one of the greatest idols ever. N-n-no big deal.’

Arctic nods. ‘She should be waiting for you at the train station. You don’t want to be late for your next gig.’

Sweetie goes to a window and starts climbing out. She looks back. ‘Hurry up! This is the quickest way!’

‘I was never trained for that kind travel,’ Moon Glow argues.

‘Well, then, try to keep up.’

Sweetie jumps out the window and runs across the rooftops towards the train station. Moon Glow charges from the office as fast as she can.

Arctic laughs to herself. ‘Just wait until they see who the client really is...’ She gets out her mobile. ‘They are on their way.’

Sweetie and Moon Glow trot through a train car looking for their suite. The younger unicorn smiles as she leads the way.

‘This is so exciting!’

‘Doesn’t it seem a bit odd that Full Moon would want to work with you?’ Moon Glow asks.

‘Nope! Just somepony else who recognizes that I am going to go places!’ Sweetie squeals. ‘And this somepony is only the greatest idol ever.’

‘Okay, but isn’t this sort of sudden? We could have used some time to prep for this mission.’

‘Oh, it will be fine,’ Sweetie assures. ‘While I was waiting for you to catch up, I called home. Spike is going to get Rarity to send me anything I need for my performances.’

‘Good of her to support you.’

Sweetie stops. Moon Glow bumps into her. ‘We’re here. Okay. Take it cool. Play it easy.’

‘I’ve never met somepony famous before.’

‘Ahem!’

‘Well, I did know Image before he was famous.’

‘A-hem!’

‘And we do work with Octavia, Silver Fox, Lyra, Vinyl...’

‘AHEM!’

‘Oh. Are you here?’

Sweetie growls at her friend. She turns to the door and takes a deep breath. ‘Okay. Let’s do this.’

The unicorn slides open the cabin door. Queen Chrysalis lays on a bench, reading a magazine and eating a garden burger. She looks up at the new guests.

‘Hiya,’ the changeling greets.

The unicorns scream and slam the door shut.

‘Was that..?’ Moon Glow begins.

‘It is okay. It might just be a trick of the eyes.’ Sweetie slides the door open again. ‘I-i-is Full Moon in here?’

‘Technically...’ Chrysalis replies.

Sweetie slams the door again. ‘Okay… Chrysalis ate Full Moon.’ She takes a deep breath. ‘Good thing I wore my blades this morning.’

The young assassin pulls a hood over her head, raises a hoof and slides the door open. Full Moon looks up from her magazine and apple shake.

‘Will you just come in already?’ the idol snaps. ‘You’re causing a draft.’

‘S-sorry,’ Sweetie stammers, peeking in. ‘Just nerves, I guess.’

The unicorns nervously enter. Not seeing any changelings, they sigh in relief and relax on the free bench. Chrysalis drops her disguise and magically seals the room. The unicorns scream again and press against the opposite wall.

‘About time you show up,’ the changeling complains. ‘I got us some of those garden burgers you ponies seem to love while I waited, but you didn’t show up in time to have any.’ She looks over at the screaming mares. ‘You can stop that. Now!’

The terrified ponies sit and cover their mouths. Chrysalis rolls her eyes and turns back to her magazine. The train starts moving, making the unicorns jump again. Moon Glow nudges Sweetie and nods towards Chrysalis.

The assassin sighs and speaks up. ‘Wh-where is Full Moon, y-you fiend?’

‘Apparently, you missed my transformation act, Sweetie Belle,’ Chrysalis replies. ‘I am Full Moon.’

‘B-but Full Moon is a popular and beautiful idol. Y-you’re...’

The changeling snarls, revealing her fangs. ‘Short tempered?’

‘I was going to say “not a pegasus”.’

Chrysalis groans. ‘I see your attitude towards me hasn’t changed since the last time we met.’

‘Y-you know her?’ Moon Glow asks.

‘She foalnaped me and my friends when we were fillies,’ Sweetie snorts.

‘And I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn’t for your meddling sister and Twilight Sparkle too,’ Chrysalis hisses.

Sweetie sticks her tongue at the changeling. ‘Showed you.’

Chrysalis rolls her eyes. ‘Delightful.’

Moon Glow nods knowingly. ‘She does have a way with ponies.’

‘You should meet her friends.’

‘I am the one with the knives on her hooves, you know,’ Sweetie growls.

The other unicorn smirks. ‘Anyway, why did you pick us? Why would the great Full Moon want to perform with Sweetie Belle?’

Chrysalis looks at the ponies and smiles. ‘In my career as Full Moon, I have performed with the best: The Trio, DJ-Pon3, an unusually successful tour with Fiddlesticks. Now, I am ready to end my career as Full Moon.’

Moon Glow nods again. ‘I understand exactly where you are going.’

‘Which is why I want to do one last tour with the hottest rising star, the lovely Sweetie Belle,’ Chrysalis explains.

‘Now you lost me.’

Sweetie blushes, embarrassed. ‘I am honored that Full Moon wants to perform with me.’

‘I believe it will be a fun tour. Also, I am glad such an annoying pest from my past grew up to become a fine young mare.’

The white unicorn’s eye twitches. ‘Thank you.’

‘Oh, don’t be that way,’ Chrysalis returns to her magazine. ‘Del speaks highly of you. You are lucky to have a good friend.’

‘Oh, right! I forgot about you and Del.’

‘Who is Del?’ the other unicorn asks.

‘Del is my changeling friend.’

‘Ah. So she knows Chrysalis.’

The changeling glares at Moon Glow. ‘Trying to ignore your tribalist statement, Del is my little sister. So of course I am close to her.’

‘Oh, um, er...’

Sweetie shakes her head at her friend. Moon Glow looks away and snorts. The ponies’ stomachs growl.

‘Any chance of more garden burgers?’ Sweetie asks.

Chrysalis levitates a burger and takes a bite. ‘Not anymore.’

The unicorns snort and get up to get lunch.

Back in their suite, Sweetie grumbles as she eats a simple sandwich and salad.

‘As soon as we get to Manehattan, we are finding a good place to eat,’ the young diva complains.

‘Ugh. You’re so spoiled,’ Moon Glow huffs. ‘You always hate getting food when we go on missions.’

‘I have a hive to do my bidding and lived in Neighpon for several years,’ Chrysalis states. ‘I am completely in agreement with Sweetie Belle on the quality of travelers’ fare in Equestria.’

Moon Glow shakes her head. ‘What a bunch of divas.’

‘Technically, we’d be a duet of divas,’ the changeling corrects. ‘You pick up these things after enough tours.’

The cream mare grunts and gets out her mobile. ‘Anyway, I would like to get in touch with your manager to discuss the arrangements for the tour and performances.’

‘Don’t worry. I took care of that already,’ Chrysalis replies. ‘My stage crew is pretty good about taking care of everything I may need for a show.’

‘That is all well and good, but Sweetie has special needs that must be taken care of before she performs.’

‘I know you are just doing your job, but I have met all the requirements your employers set to hire Sweetie Belle. You just have to keep an extra set of eyes on our security and enjoy the show.’

‘See. She has everything covered,’ Sweetie agrees. She sticks her tongue out at her lunch and looks at Moon Glow. ‘Some analyst and manager you are. You had one job.’

‘Technically, I have two, and you were the one who picked that meal out.’ She turns to Chrysalis. ‘I appreciate your work, but what about wardrobe and sheet music and..?’

‘Oh, I know all her songs,’ Sweetie replies. ‘Del always invited us over to listen to the new albums before anypony else had them.’

‘Now you know how she got them early,’ Chrysalis laughs.

‘I figured her father used his magic time box to cheat like he always does.’

‘Ugh,’ The changeling grunts. ‘Anyway. About the costumes and stuff, we had thought Sweetie Belle would be free last night for the first show, so her sister arranged for all of that already. It is all taken care of.’

Sweetie smiles. ‘Rarity is always looking out for me, even if I don’t know I need to be looked after.’

Moon Glow’s eye twitches. ‘I think that thought should always be in the back of your mind...’ She sighs. ‘I guess you have everything covered. I’ll just work with your security and make sure Sweetie is ready to handle any threat.’

Sweetie yawns and stretches out on the bench. ‘I’m bored! Did you have Rarity pack my hoofheld?’

‘If she did, it would be in luggage,’ Chrysalis replies.

The young diva looks at Moon Glow. The older unicorn groans and gets up.

‘Bunch of freaking divas,’ the cream mare grumbles as she leaves the suite.

‘And get me some water too!’ Sweetie calls.

‘And animal crackers!’ Chrysalis adds. ‘Make sure they are cute!’

Moon Glow moans loudly from down the hall.

At their hotel suite, bodyguards get the doors for the mares. Sweetie takes in the room. Chrysalis drops her disguise and stretches.

‘Little dark in here,’ Moon Glow comments, going to the curtains.

‘Don’t open them!’ Chrysalis shouts. ‘You never know if a paparazzo pegasus will fly past looking for a free shot.’

‘We’ve been to a lot places and never had to worry about that. Probably because our security is so good,’ Sweetie laughs.

The changeling snorts. ‘I know the level of security your organization provides, and it is some of the best, but my changelings do a perfect job that only gets better with every tour.’

‘Is that so?’ Moon Glow wonders. ‘Care to put that to the test?’

‘What do you have in mind?’

‘If we can find at least one hole in your security, you’re paying for all our meals this entire tour.’

Chrysalis laughs. ‘Best of luck. I promise you’ll be spending all your commission and then some on only the finest meals.’

‘Oh, we’ll see about that.’

Chrysalis rolls her eyes and confers with an aide. Moon Glow whispers to Sweetie.

‘Excuse me while freshen up,’ the young idol says, heading towards the washroom.

‘Fine.’ The changeling goes to the bedrooms. ‘The rooms are this way. We should get plenty of rest before our first show.’ She opens a door. ‘You two will be staying in here. I hope you don’t mind sharing a room.’

Moon Glow nods. ‘We’ve shared worse when we didn’t get along. Might as well share the best now that we do.’

Chrysalis goes to the next room. ‘If you need me, I’ll be resting in here.’

The queen opens the door. Her jaw drops, and the unicorn smirks smugly. A changeling is tied up on the bed.

‘What is going on here?’ Sweetie asks, straightening her dress. ‘Oh my! Who is that?’

‘You know damn well that he is my security manager,’ Chrysalis growls.

‘What is he doing in your bed?’ Moon Glow says.

‘Winkwinknudgenudgesaynomore,’ Sweetie adds.

The unicorns laugh and run away when Chrysalis hisses at them. The changeling grumbles to herself as she unties her assistant.

‘Want us to find someplace good for dinner or just the most expensive place?’ Sweetie calls.

Chrysalis hisses again and slams the door.

After their show and a late dinner, Sweetie Belle and Chrysalis relax in a large bath together. The changeling sips some wine, though the unicorn declined the drink.

‘Always a great way to end a concert,’ Chrysalis comments. ‘Good wine and half a bottle of aspirin.’

‘You should get somepony to give you a hoofrub after a show,’ Sweetie adds. ‘I know those help me relax.’

‘Good luck getting your friend to give you one though. I, at least, have loyal subjects willing to help me out.’

Sweetie snorts and dunks her head for a moment. She shakes off, spraying water everywhere. ‘So refreshing.’

Chrysalis just rolls her eyes, uncovers her drink and sips.

The unicorn lays back against a wall and stares at the ceiling. ‘Miss Chrysalis, why did you choose me for this tour? I mean, why did you really choose me? I am not that good. I’m still just getting my first gigs on my own. I haven’t had any lead roles outside of Hearth’s Warming pageants...’

‘I choose you because you are the perfect mare for the job. You are a wonderful singer, and you know how to handle yourself on stage expertly.’ She smiles. ‘I’ve been following you since you began your singing career, or have you forgotten that talent show?’

Sweetie smiles and nods.

‘You are a specially-talented young mare. If my last act as Full Moon is to make you an even more popular idol, then my job will have been done.’

‘Thank you. You are a lot nicer than I remember from when I was a filly.’

‘You will find not all changelings are monsters. I would have thought you knew that by now. Didn’t Del teach you anything?

Sweetie laughs sheepishly. ‘Right. Sorry.’

Chrysalis sighs then smiles. ‘You are pretty relaxed around changelings. You must see us a lot.’

‘Not really...’ the unicorn replies. ‘Well, except for one in my acting class. And Del. We always spend some time together when she is in Canterlot working with Rarity.’

‘Do you… see Del often?’

Sweetie shrugs. ‘As often as Rarity comes up with a new design for her or Fleur gets her a new modelling job. I’d say two or three times a month, generally on weekends so it doesn’t interfere with her teaching.’

‘Right. She is a teacher too. My little sister has many talents.’

‘I am pretty sure she likes teaching and modeling. She wants to be a good example of how changelings are not as scary as somepony who would brutally murder a cute cat thing in front of a young filly.’

Chrysalis licks her lips. ‘Those are so delicious.’

Sweetie looks sick. ‘If I puke in the tub, you’re cleaning it up.’

The changeling laughs. ‘My apologies.’ She pours herself more wine. ‘Are you sure you don’t want a glass?’

‘You’d definitely be cleaning the tub after that.’

‘Fair enough.’ She turns around. ‘Would you mind helping me wash my back? I can’t see back there easily, and some nights it just feels too good to stop when I use my magic to do the job.’

Sweetie sighs and comes over. ‘Fine, but only if you wash me too.’

Chrysalis laughs then moans contently as she gets scrubbed.

Chrysalis and Sweetie rest on a train ride. The unicorn tries to sleep with a pillow over her eyes. The changeling lays on her back and eats from a mass of fries levitating beside her head. Moon Glow enters the cabin with a tray of drinks. She shakes her head at the display.

‘You two are the laziest...’

‘You try singing three encores,’ Sweetie rasps, levitating a drink.

‘A girl’s got to eat,’ Chrysalis cackles.

Moon Glow sighs and takes her seat. ‘Anyway, we have a bit of a trip before we reach our next stop. How are we going to pass the time? Or are you just going to boss me around?’

‘I like that idea,’ the younger unicorn replies.

The older unicorn snorts her displeasure.

Chrysalis lowers her snack. ‘Actually, you can help me with something.’

‘Sure.’

‘What is it?’

‘What should my disguise be after I am done with my Full Moon act?’

‘Why should you give that up?’ Moon Glow asks.

‘I promised a friend that I would stop using that disguise once I was done being Full Moon. I wouldn’t want to upset her.’

‘Can’t you just be yourself?’ Sweetie follows up. ‘It isn’t like you can’t just go around being normal.’

The queen sighs. ‘It is not that easy. Yes, I am a League of Harmony member and yes, changelings are allowed to be in Equestria without a disguise, but I have caused too much harm as Chrysalis to be truly accepted. I know there would be ponies calling for my head for my past actions.’

‘That sucks,’ Moon Glow comments. ‘Is there any disguise you have used that isn’t Full Moon or Cadance?’

Chrysalis thinks then smirks. ‘Well, there was this one time not to long ago when I visited for Hearth’s Warming...’

‘The amber unicorn with yellow and crimson mane!’ Sweetie declares.

‘Bingo.’ The changeling laughs. ‘That is a favorite since I know how much it gets under Celestia’s skin.’ She frowns slightly. ‘Though… I wouldn’t want to remind her of a past failure too often...’

‘You can always test out new disguises on us,’ Moon Glow states. ‘Maybe a blue pegasus with red mane?’

‘Idiot,’ Sweetie scoffs. ‘Anyway, that is a good idea,’ she agrees. ‘Though, I think you should just be yourself. I think you are fine the way you are, and I am certain Del would agree.’

Chrysalis smiles and levitates her snack again.

Full Moon and Sweetie Belle attract a lot of attention in their hotel lobby. The older idol gets stares just for being who she is. The younger one gets looks for her argument with Moon Glow. They started fighting since they have nothing better to do while they wait for their room to be ready. The ‘pegasus’ watches the friends with great interest.

‘Come on! They have one female servicing a large group of males. That implies a species that lays eggs,’ Moon Glow argues.

‘Oh my God, you're crazy!’ Sweetie yells. ‘They're so obviously mammals!’

‘Please! She'd be in estrus 24/7 if she didn't lay eggs.’

‘Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a freaking beard! They're mammals!’

The mares butt heads and growl.

Full Moon laughs. ‘I seriously have to ask,’ she interrupts. ‘Have you two ever bumped uglies?’

‘What?!’ the other mares shout.

‘We only kissed those couple of times! That’s it!’ Moon Glow defends, embarrassed.

‘Mares can do that?’ Sweetie asks, curious.

Full Moon runs a hoof down Sweetie’s cheek. ‘When we get our room, maybe I can show you.’

The younger mare blushes. ‘Senpai...’

‘What are you two doing!’ Moon Glow yells. Murmurs are heard. She looks around at the other ponies watching, filming or taking photos of two lovely white ponies staring lovingly at each other. ‘And will you knock it off! There is nothing to see here! Back off, you vultures!’

The idols snicker then start laughing. An aide comes over and whispers to Full Moon.

‘Looks like we got our room just in time,’ the diva says. She leans in towards Moon Glow as she passes. ‘If you hurry, I’ll let you join us.’

The cream unicorn turns crimson with embarrassment.

‘Don’t keep us waiting,’ Sweetie coos as she prances after her mentor.

Moon Glow holds back a scream while the idols pose for some photos with their fans.

Sweetie gets up in the middle of the night. She uses the washroom before returning to her room. On her way, she notices Chrysalis standing on a balcony. The unicorn yawns and heads out. The changeling is staring out over an active city. Ponies are still on the streets. Pegasi, bat ponies, griffins and even a few thestrals fly around.

‘Nice night,’ the young idol greets.

‘I always liked this city,’ Chrysalis comments. ‘So many ponies that if one turned up missing, the authorities wouldn’t even bother most of the time.’

‘Charming.’

‘Also, a number of ponies from Neighpon. I have a huge fan base. Always a blast to perform here.’

Sweetie smiles. ‘I like coming to Los Arion too.’

‘This is where you got your start. Did you think I didn’t plan it this way?’

‘Of course I not. I leave nothing to chance.’

‘Oh, really?’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Full Moon, Sweetie Belle and Moon Glow are at a fancy restaurant. The three mares examine their menus. A well-dressed earth pony steps up to the table.

‘Good evening madams,’ their waiter greets. ‘Tonight’s specials are...’

‘House special! All around!’ Sweetie declares. ‘Don’t even tell us what it is. We’re going going all in.’

‘Very good,’ the waiter replies.

The others glare at the young unicorn.

‘What? What is life without taking a chance every now and again?’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Doesn’t prove anything,’ Sweetie snorts.

Chrysalis laughs and turns back to the city.

Sweetie looks at the queen. ‘Are you really going to do it? Are you really retiring once you are done with this tour?’

‘That is the plan.’ She looks at her cohort. ‘Changelings are being accepted all over the world. We have harvested enough love to last our hive a long time. Besides, I am getting too old to be an idol. It is a younger pony’s game. Another changeling can fill in if we need to recreate this trick.’

‘But what about your fans? Would you really leave them in the cold? No more guest appearances on shows or signings?’

‘I promised Rei I would stop...’

‘You can at least show them the real Full Moon. Let them know who you really are.’

‘I’ll be fine. It is better they don’t see the monster behind the illusions.’

‘You are not a monster. … Not anymore. … At least, not a very good one.’

‘Thanks, Sweetie Belle.’

‘Sweetie. My friends call me Sweetie. … My friends and Moon Glow.’

Chrysalis laughs. ‘Thanks, Sweetie.’

‘No proble-’ The young mare interrupts herself with a yawn.

‘Go. Get some rest. We have a big day tomorrow.’

‘I’m fine. I’ve done more on less.’

‘That may be so, but Los Arion is a demanding city.’

‘I can sleep on the way to Seaddle.’ She yawns and her head dips for a second. ‘I’m awake!’ She shakes her head clear. ‘Anyway, why are we ending in the Crystal Empire? I would have thought you wanted your last show to be somewhere meaningful.’

‘It is meaningful. I get to see my husband,’ Chrysalis replies, grinning evilly. ‘Also, I ran into the Great and Countess Trixie recently, and she would not shut her yap for one second about how she earned that damn title. I want to fill the crystal ponies with so much bucking love their freaking Crystal Heart explodes from the overload.’

Sweetie laughs. ‘I’ll do my best to help you reach that g-’ She yawns again.

‘Come on. Let’s get you to bed.’

The young mare nods as Chrysalis leads her back to her room. Sweetie climbs into her bed. Chrysalis tucks her in and heads for the door.

‘Thanks, Rari,’ the sleepy unicorn mumbles. ‘You’ll make a good mommy some day. I love you.’

Chrysalis smiles. ‘Thanks, Sweetie. Sleep tight. … Love you too.’

Sweetie gallops past her room a train. ‘Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!’

In the room, Full Moon covers her head. Moon Glow watches her friend running about.

‘Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!’

‘What made you think it was a good idea to do that?’ Moon Glow accuses.

‘It isn’t my fault!’ Full Moon defends. ‘We were in Seaddle! It should be a given that we get coffee.’

‘Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!’

The unicorn shakes her head. ‘She gets wired from tea. Light tea.’

‘I didn’t know that!’

Sweetie teleports into the room. ‘Hey! Look what I just figured out!’

The crazed mare gallops away before her friends can react.

‘Let’s just hope she crashes before we get to the Crystal Empire,’ Moon Glow grumbles.

The window slides down, and Sweetie drags herself in.

‘I don’t feel too well,’ the young mare states before vomiting and falling over.

Moon Glow groans and leaves. ‘I’ll get you some water.’ She looks back at Full Moon. ‘You are cleaning that up.’

Full Moon looks at the moaning mare on the floor. ‘We’re switching you to decaf.’

Moon Glow tours the Crystal Palace. Sweetie is sleeping in her room, still working off the caffeine crash. Chrysalis left shortly after arriving at the train station. Neither she nor Full Moon have been seen since. Having seen enough of the sights, Moon Glow heads back to her room. On her way, she hears a familiar voice. She follows it to a hall where Chrysalis is meeting with Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. The princess drapes herself over her husband and glares at the queen.

‘Well, it is relieving to hear you won’t be lurking about Equestria anymore,’ Shining says.

‘Oh, I’ll be around, lover,’ Chrysalis cackles. ‘Just not as Full Moon.’

‘He’s not your lover,’ Cadance growls.

‘I just wanted you to know that tomorrow will be the last time you will see Full Moon. Probably the last time I will be around except for League meetings and when auntie invites me.’

‘Please don’t call Celestia that.’

‘I’d say it would be a shame not seeing you around as often,’ Shining replies. ‘But I’d be lying.’

‘I don’t know.’ Chrysalis grins evilly. ‘I think I can still do a good Cadance impression.’

The princess snarls and hugs her prince tighter.

The changeling laughs and turns away, transforming back into Full Moon. ‘Good to see I still have that effect on some ponies. Anyway, I hope to see you at the concert. I have to get ready for a dinner date.’ She rolls her eyes. ‘That bet it costing me more than it should.’

Moon Glow hurries away before she is spotted.

Full Moon works on her makeup before her show. Chrysalis allows her horn to show so she can work on herself. There is a knock on her dressing room door.

‘I’ll be ready in a minute,’ the pegasus shouts. ‘Still plenty of time before the show starts.’

‘I know. That’s why I want to talk with you,’ Moon Glow says, slipping into the room.

The idol rolls her eyes. ‘Shouldn’t you be helping Sweetie get ready?’

‘You should know by now that Sweetie has a pre-show ritual.’ The unicorn blushes. ‘It was quite embarrassing the first time I found out.’

Full Moon cackles. ‘Ah, yes. Thinking of Image. Lucky him.’

‘I wanted to talk to you about the show.’

‘Worried I’ll chicken out?’

‘Yes, actually.’

Full Moon turns around to face her accuser. ‘What makes you think that?’

‘My role with Sweetie isn’t just her manager and backup. I am her analyst. You’re scared that no longer being Full Moon will leave you without some way to get back at Equestria. You want a reason to sneak in and get revenge for all the changelings you lost over the years. Without this, all you have are state dinners to get your jabs at Celestia.’

Full Moon smiles. ‘You’re cute. I can see why Sweetie likes you.’ She turns back to doing her makeup. ‘Yes, I am sad that I will no longer be in the spotlight. I am also scared that the love I have gathered won’t be enough for my hive in the coming years. But when I really look at it, I won’t miss it at all.’

‘I think you will.’ Moon Glow levitates a letter to the idol. ‘This was in the mission packet. I was told to deliver it to you before this show. You’ll miss the fans.’

‘Silly girl.’ Full Moon opens the letter and smiles. ‘This is from one fan. I get one of these every tour.’

‘What is it?’

‘My biggest fan always sends me a copy of a ticket so I know where to look when I perform a certain song.’

‘Lucky fan.’

‘Yeah...’

‘And would this fan be broken hearted if you left without revealing who you really are?’

Full Moon stares at the letter. Her ears twitch. ‘I think Sweetie is done and washing up. Hurry. She’ll need help with her dress before the show starts.’

Moon Glow sighs and leaves the dressing room. Full Moon finishes applying her makeup.

A packed stadium scream for the idols as Full Moon and Sweetie Belle finish their first song. Ponies from all over Equestria have come to see the diva perform. A lavender pony and a brown pony can barely be glimpsed from Cadance’s royal booth as she seems to be trying to block them from her husband. As the song ends, Full Moon motions for the audience to calm down.

Sweetie trots over to her friend. ‘I thought you were waiting.’ she whispers.

‘Trust me. This was how it was meant to be.’ Full Moon turns to the audience and waves. ‘Hi! Thank you for coming out!’ The audience cheers. ‘I have some sad news. That will be the last song Full Moon will be performing.’ The crowd boos. A grey earth pony has to stop a white pegasus from cheering. ‘Do not worry. That will not be the last song I will be singing tonight. You see...’ She looks out into the audience. A white unicorn with a pink mane nods in the middle of the murmuring ponies. ‘You see, I am really’ -- she drops her disguise -- ‘I am really Queen Chrysalis.’

The audience is silent, not knowing how to react to the announcement. Amy lets out a loud cheer from her seat, joined by Selene. Del, Lucas and Mimi lead Lemon Sorbet, Stormy, Trixie and all their friends in cheering from another part of the audience. Rarity, Spike and Image make up another cheering section.

‘Play Freebird!’ a sky blue unicorn with a green mane shouts.

Arr!’ the mysterious ponies sharing the royal booth shout.

Soon, the whole audience is cheering and shouting song requests. Chrysalis smiles and wipes away a tear.

‘Told you,’ Sweetie chides.

‘I know, Amy.’

‘I’m Sweetie.’

‘Right. I was was thinking of somepony else.’ Chrysalis clears her throat. ‘Th-thank you. This next song goes out to a very special pony.’

Music starts playing. Chrysalis looks over at Amy, winks and starts singing. Sweetie waves to Image and joins in. The audience cheers as the divas continue the concert.

Author's Note:

Sweetie Belle Timeline: Makes up (and out) with Moon Glow. Tours with one of her idols.

Chrysalis Timeline: Reveals herself as Full Moon. Retires as Full Moon. Sings a special song for Amy.

PreviousChapters Next