• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
A Little Razzle Dazzle

Main Characters: Razzly, Satsuma, Pound, Pumpkin
Cameos: Rei, Inkie, Starlight, Apple Bloom, Stormy, Trixie
Original Start Date: April 24, 2013


Razzly lays on her hotel bed. She stares at the ceiling and casts simple illusions of stick figure ponies. They dance around the bored filly. She sighs and gets up. She heads out into the hotel suite. Her father left some of the baked goods he was going to be selling in market today. They sit on a table beside a pass to her mother’s show that evening.

Razzly sighs and goes out on the balcony. Below her, she sees foals of all ages playing and running through the streets. The filly watches them from her perch. None of them look up as she stares down at everypony having fun. The filly moans again and goes back inside.

Trixie, Stormy and Razzly eat a late dinner after Trixie’s show. Stormy tells stories about his day in the market and shows off the business cards of the bakeries that wish to do business with him. Trixie applauds her husbands dealings. Razzly stares at her plate and sighs.

‘What’s wrong?’ Stormy asks, stopping his story.

‘Is everything okay, darling?’ Trixie inquires caringly.

Razzly looks at her parents and frowns. ‘I don’t have any friends.’

Stormy moves to comfort his daughter. ‘I know how bad that can be. How can we help?’

‘We’ll do anything for our lovely Razzle Dazzle.’

Razzly smiles hopefully. ‘Can we stop traveling long enough for me to spend time with foals my age? Like we did in Canterlot after the Crystal Empire show.’

The adults look upset.

‘I am booked pretty solid,’ Trixie sighs. ‘The demand for The Great and Powerful Countess Trixie is quite high after we saved the Crystal Empire from doom, death and destruction!’

‘Calm the show down,’ Stormy groans. ‘We have a serious problem here.’

‘Agreed. What can we do to help out our little angel?’

‘We could settle in Manehatten. Your mother would love getting you to play her theater more often, and I could take one of those cooking show offers.’

‘That would require backing out of dozens of contracts we have settled already and really destroy our reputations.’ Trixie snorts. She looks at Razzly. ‘Would you want to live in Manehatten with your grandmother?’

Razzly scrunches her nose. ‘She smells funny and isn’t as fun as you.’

‘I agree with both of those,’ Stormy agrees.

Trixie growls at her husband. ‘Well, what do you say we should do?’

Stormy smiles. ‘I think I know somepony who would be perfect for the job.’

Inkie stares at her friends. ‘You want to leave Razzly with us?!’

‘Rei is a good mommy!’ Rei declares. ‘Just ask Spoon-chan.’

‘But why us?’

Trixie sighs. ‘We cannot back out of our contracts, and we don’t want to leave her alone in Manehatten or the Crystal Empire.’

‘We pass through Ponyville a lot,’ Stormy adds. ‘We’ll be able to see her all the time.’

Inkie looks at Razzly. ‘Are you okay with this? We wouldn’t want to take you from your family.’

Razzly nods. ‘I don’t mind. I know you are great ponies and very fun from all the times mommy and daddy visited you before. I’ll be happy staying with you.’

‘I guess it is okay...’ the earth pony hems.

‘Yay!’ Rei cheers. ‘I get to show Inkie that I can be a good mommy so that when Heartstring-sensei’s company pays off we can have a foal of our own!’

Inkie rolls her eyes. ‘I already agreed that you can have our first foal when it is possible.’

Stormy turns to his wife. ‘Are you sure it is a good idea leaving Razzleberry with them?’

Razzly stands in front of the class at Ponyville Schoolhouse. Starlight is introducing her to the class. Satsuma and Pound Cake stare at their new classmate with love in their eyes. Pumpkin Cake groans and lays on her desk.

‘Class, we have a new student joining us today,’ Starlight announces. He smiles down at Razzly. ‘Why don’t you tell us a little about yourself?’

Razzly smiles brightly. ‘Hi! My name is Razzly Lulamoon, but I also go by Razzleberry Souffle and The Clever and Spectacular Razzle Dazzle.’

Pumpkin moans. Satsuma and Pound sigh longingly.

‘Um, well, I’ve been homeschooled, so I don’t know much about going to school.’ Razzle smiles again. ‘I hope we can all be great friends.’

‘Thank you, Razzly.’ Starlight motions to the back of the class. ‘We only have seats in the back. I hope that is okay.’

‘It is fine. Thank you.’

Razzly trots to her seat. Her admirers watch as she goes.

‘Okay!’ Starlight declares to get his class’ attention. ‘You can get to know your new friend at recess. Let’s get started.’

After school. Pumpkin is feeling extra special. Satsuma has invited her to his clubhouse. The filly looks around the small clubhouse. It is filled with books and papers. He even has a whiteboard covered in notes. Pumpkin smiles as she takes in the private life of one of her friends.

‘Sorry for the mess,’ Satsuma apologizes. ‘You are the first pony I brought out here since my mom gave me her old clubhouse. Found a lot of old Rainbow Dash drawings for some reason...’

‘It is fine,’ Pumpkin replies. ‘I am honored to be your guest.’

‘So, uh...’

‘Is there something you wanted to talk about?’

‘Yeah, uh...’ Satsuma grins sheepishly. ‘What sort of things do fillies like?’

Pumpkin blushes. ‘What? I don’t know.’

‘Oh, because you like sports and things.’

‘What?! No!’ She snorts at the young colt. She shakes her head and sighs. ‘Why do you ask?’

Satsuma’s blush increases. ‘Well, uh, I sorta like Razzly, and I want to make a good impression on her.’

Pumpkin looks away. ‘So you like her, huh? Not somepony like me?’

‘What? No. I mean, you’re great. You’re really smart and cute and athletic. You’re one of the coolest fillies I know. I know colts would love to date you.’

Pumpkin blushes and smiles. ‘Thanks, Satsuma.’

‘So, uh, do you have any advice on what I can do about Razzly?’

The filly closes her eyes and holds back a scream. ‘Sorry. I cannot think of anything.’

Satsuma frowns. ‘Dang. Well, um, you can, uh, hang out here until you have to go home if you want. We can do homework and stuff.’

Pumpkin smiles and giggles. She levitates her bag over and gets out some leftover treats from her family’s store.

In Sugarcube Corner, Pound Cake is working his tail off mixing up a batter. He keeps checking the recipe and looking around the kitchen.

‘Mom! Dad! Pinkie!’ the young colt calls out. ‘I need your help!’

Cup and Carrot Cake gallop to the kitchen, fearing the worst. They find their son busy flying to the cupboards.

‘What is it, Pound?’ Carrot asks.

‘Where do we keep the semi-sweet chocolate? I need it for a cake.’

Cup examines the recipe. ‘You mean you are following the recipe and not doing one of your experiments?’

‘Uh, yeah. It is for a filly at school.’

‘So you’re not making some crazy firework?’ his father worries.

Pound lands and groans. ‘No, I’m just making a cake.’

The parents hug their son.

‘Finally!’ Cup Cake cries. ‘He finally grew out of dangerous experiments.’

‘Does this mean you are going to become a baker like your parents and not make anymore fireworks?’ Carrot asks.

Pound breaks free. ‘I am just trying to make a cake for a filly.’

‘But it is not fireworks?’

‘No.’

The parents breathe a sigh of relief and start getting out the cake ingredients for their son.

‘I made those when I got home. They need time to settle or they might go off.’

The parents freeze for a moment, groan and go back to helping their son.

Starlight uses his magic to clean the schoolhouse before the chocolate stains the... everywhere. Everypony giggles at the chocolate-covered Pound after his cake exploded before he could give it to Razzly. Pumpkin hides under her desk in shame and to avoid the chocolate. There is a knock on the door as Applejack escorts her son inside. The young colt is holding his stomach.

‘Are we interruptin’ somethin’?’ the farmer asks.

‘Pound was just sharing his cake with the rest of the class,’ Starlight groans. ‘How can I help you?’

‘Right. Ah was jus’ droppin’ Satsuma off. He says he ain’t feelin’ well, but he insisted on comin’ t’ school.’

Starlight look down at his brother. ‘Well, he is the best student and pretty far ahead of the others.’ The class groans. ‘If he insists on staying, he can sit in the back and listen in.’

‘Thanks, Starlight,’ Satsuma moans.

‘Okay...’ Applejack hems. ‘Ah’ll be back t’ pick ya up after school gets out.’

The mother gives her son a big kiss on the cheek before leaving. The other foals giggle at Satsuma as he takes a seat by Razzly. The brothers exchange winks before Starlight finishes cleaning.

All the foals gallop out of the schoolhouse after school. Starlight stays behind to put the class back in order. While he works, he is approached by Pumpkin.

‘Um, Mr Sparkle?’

Starlight turns to the filly. ‘You can just call me Starlight. What’s up, Pumpkin?’

‘Um, I was wondering if you could teach me magic.’

‘Magic classes?’ The stallion stops and thinks. ‘Doesn’t the district offer magic classes already?’

‘We have some basic magic classes as foals, but I don’t know of any for unicorns my age.’

Starlight shrugs. ‘Sure. I don’t mind teaching you if your parents don’t mind. My mom taught me a lot of great spells that anypony can learn.’

‘Great! I can’t wait!’

‘Yeah. I’ll talk to Cheerilee and see if we can get a whole class going.’

‘Oh, uh, okay.’

‘Is that all you were wondering?’

‘Y-yeah. I’m good.’

Pumpkin gallops away. She does not have any sports team practice so she heads straight home. As she nears Sugarcube Corner, she sees Razzly coming out of Twist’s shop with a spring green pegasus with a light blue mane.

‘Thanks for treating me, Razzly,’ Summer Rain thanks.

‘Of course. It was my pleasure,’ Razzly replies. She sighs. ‘Thanks for being my friend. You’re the first one I have ever had. I think the others think I am stuck up because of my mom or my money or something.’

‘It is okay. I am sure they love you,’ the young pegasus assures. ‘Look at all the attention you got your first day.’

‘That was nice...’

‘Not to mention, I think Satsuma and Pound Cake like you. They are the coolest colts in class.’

‘Really?’

Summer Rain nods. ‘You’ll have a ton of friends in no time once everypony learns how nice you are.’

‘Thank you.’ Razzly smiles. ‘I hope you didn’t think I was showing off because I offered to treat you. My parents always taught me that we should share our wealth but not flaunt it.’

‘I didn’t think that at all. Stop worrying so much.’

Razzly sighs. ‘I’m just not good at this friend thing yet. That is what must be driving others away.’

‘Give it time. Don’t worry.’

‘Thank you.’

Razzly gives her friend a hug. Pumpkin uses the distraction to try sneaking past.

‘Pumpkin!’ Summer Rain calls. ‘Razzly is treating us to candy from Twist’s shop. Want some?’

Pumpkin laughs nervously. ‘Th-that’s okay. I live in a bakery, you know.’

‘We should exchange recipes sometime,’ Razzly offers.

‘Right... Um...’

‘Don’t you have practice today?’ Summer Rain asks.

‘I’m sorta between sports right now.’

‘Oh. Then why were you out?’

Pumpkin tries thinking of a dodge then sighs. ‘I was asking Starlight for magic lessons.’

‘Really!’ Razzly gasps. ‘Can I join? My mom always said that Twilight Sparkle had the best magic she ever saw. Her son has to be at least half as good as she is.’

The other unicorn looks away. ‘I guess... You would have to talk to Starlight about it...’

‘Great! Thank you!’ Razzly hugs Pumpkin. ‘I’m making friends everywhere now.’

Pumpkin backs away. ‘Right. Um. If you’ll excuse me...’

‘Go ahead.’

Pumpkin continues home. She looks back at the other fillies.

‘See you at school tomorrow!’ Razzly calls, waving.

The other unicorn forces a smile and waves back. She turns away and groans. An explosion comes from the second story of Sugarcube Corner as Pound’s latest attempt to make a gift for Razzly literally blows up in his face.


Bonus Scene

Starlight trots to the front of his first magic class. He is wearing a wizard hat with bells hanging from it. Razzly facehoofs at the costume. The other unicorns stare at their teacher.

‘Welcome to your first novice magic class,’ Starlight greets. ‘I assume you all know the basics, so this class will be about developing your magical prowess and teaching you some practical and fun spells. I cannot promise a cutie mark in magical ability like mine or my mother’s or my grandmothers or...’ -- he shakes his head -- ‘and, uh, so on, but I can promise that we will have a lot of fun. This first class will test your basic spells.’ He stands in front of the class. ‘First basic spell’ -- he teleports behind the class -- ‘is teleportation.’

The foals stare in amazement.

Razzly raises a hoof. ‘Uh, Starlight. My mom doesn’t even know teleportation, and she’s great and powerful.’

Starlight stares in shock. ‘What are they teaching you these days?’

Author's Note:

Satsuma Love Triangle: Freya (as seen in The Master Game) vs Pumpkin Cake vs Razzly

Story Timeline: Razzy moves to Ponyville.

PreviousChapters Next