• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,341 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,341

PreviousChapters Next
Standing Up for Herself

Main Characters: Freya, Fluttershy
Cameos: Razzly, Pumpkin, Sunshine, Kain, Summer Rain, Flitter
Original Start Date: July 25, 2014


Pumpkin and Razzly wait outside of the schoolhouse. Ever since their newfound friendship, the two fillies have been plotting to separate Satsuma and Freya. The past week, they spent time with Satsuma at school and invited him to play after class. Despite the constant attention, Satsuma does not seem to be picking up the fillies’ signals. This has caused the once-rivals to change their approach...

Freya trots towards the schoolhouse with Angel riding on her head. She just left her brother off with his friends and wants to get to her desk before class starts. Pumpkin and Razzly step out in front of the young bat pony.

‘Good morning, Freya,’ the two unicorns greet.

Freya raises an eyebrow, looks at both the ponies then around them at her destination. She takes a step forward, but Pumpkin stops her.

‘We just wanted to see how you are doing this morning,’ the orange filly says. ‘Everything going okay?’

Freya groans and rolls her eyes.

‘Sorry we haven’t invited you out much,’ Razzy says. ‘We’ve been very busy this week. Satsuma keeps running us around.’

‘We had a fun time hanging out at my family’s store yesterday,’ Pumpkin adds. ‘Just the three of us having fun and chatting. You should have been there.’

Freya snorts and pushes forward. The other fillies back up to keep blocking her.

‘What? You’re not even going to say anything to us?’ Pumpkin huffs. ‘Cat got your tongue?’

‘Or maybe it is your rabbit,’ Razzly suggests.

Freya fires an ice glare at Razzly.

Pumpkin frowns. ‘Yeah. That ratty thing probably is a troublesome thing. I remember your mom having a real rabbit like that. It once flipped over a table in our store for some psychotic reason. I haven’t seen it in years. It die or something?’

Freya turns her gaze to Pumpkin, growling softly and baring her fangs.

‘Um, Pumpkin...’ Razzly tries interrupting, backing away.

‘What? Just making conversation,’ the other unicorn defends. She looks at Freya. ‘Hey. Let me see that.’

Pumpkin uses her magic to snatch Angel. Freya gives a high-pitched yell at the theft.

‘I can’t believe you carry this around with you,’ Pumpkin comments. ‘Such a kiddie thing to do.’

‘Pumpkin...’ Razzly tries interrupting again. ‘Weren’t we, uh, ya know, Satsuma?’

‘Oh right! I forgot about him. Let’s go find him.’ She tosses Angel over her shoulder and trots off, shoving Freya as she passes.

Angel lands in a mud puddle. Freya shrieks and goes to her doll. Razzly cringes and looks at her leaving friend. Freya wipes the mud from Angel and turns around, growling. She hisses and leaps at Pumpkin. The other filly barely has time to turn around before the bat pony lands on her. Pumpkin screams as Freya tries to hit her.

‘Freya, stop!’ Razzly pleads. ‘She didn’t mean it! She’s an idiot! We only meant to tease you a little...’

Freya does not listen. She finally gets a good hit on Pumpkin, punching her in the cheek. She does not get a chance for a second blow as Starlight levitates the bat pony away and carries her straight into the schoolhouse. Razzly uses her magic to raise Angel to Freya as she passes before checking on her friend.

‘Suspended!?’ Fluttershy shrieks.

Freya frowns and looks away from her mother. She holds Angel close to her.

‘You should have seen her, mom!’ Kain cheers. ‘Freya was awesome!’

Sunshine puts a hoof on his son’s head. ‘Calm down. We haven’t heard Freya’s side of it. We know she doesn’t fight without a good reason, like against those cyborgs last year.’

Fluttershy shakes her head. ‘Fighting is still fighting. She knows better.’

‘Pumpkin started it...’ Freya mumbles.

Her mother snorts and turns her nose up. ‘That doesn’t excuse anything.’

‘Did you win?’ Sunshine asks.

‘Sunshine!’ Fluttershy snaps.

‘It was great!’ Kain replies. ‘One-on-one! My sister versus the toughest foal in school! No! Second toughest after today.’

Freya looks down, pretending to be ashamed, but she is really trying to cover a smile.

‘That’s enough, Kain,’ Fluttershy interrupts. ‘Go outside and wait until dinner.’

The young colt moans as he leaves the house. He joins a certain draconequus in not-so-subtly watching from the window.

Fluttershy frowns as she looms over her daughter. ‘Now, what sort of punishment should give her?’

‘She is already suspended,’ Sunshine replies. ‘That should be enough.’

‘But she started a fight!’

Sunshine stands beside his daughter and puts a wing around her. ‘And we as her parents have every right to pester her about it while we watch over her the next few days.’ He pulls Freya close. ‘Besides, if she says it is not her fault, I believe her.’

Fluttershy puff her cheeks in frustration, then lets out a big sigh. ‘As long as she is safe, I’m fine. We don’t want to bully her just because she fought back against a bully herself.’ She leans down and hugs her daughter. ‘I don’t want to become my mother and use aggression to solve bullying. The best way to stop bullying is through understanding.’

‘And by punching them in the throat!’ a voice yells from outside.

Fluttershy and Sunshine turn. Rei has joined Kain and Discord in watching the scene.

‘Rei, what are you doing here?’ Fluttershy asks.

‘I heard Freya-chan was becoming a champion of justice, and came to help,’ the white pegasus responds.

Freya nods, but Fluttershy pulls her daughter closer. ‘That’s okay… We don’t want anymore trouble than there has been...’

‘Okay...’ Rei pouts and turns away. ‘We can just get revenge ourselves...’ She flies off.

‘That is not going to end well...’ Fluttershy sighs.

Sunshine groans and gallops after the leaving pegasus.

Freya lays on her bed playing with Angel and her Zorua doll. There is a knock on the door.

‘Freya? Can I come in?’ Fluttershy calls.

The filly huffs and turns her back to the door and keeps playing. Fluttershy opens the door and looks in.

‘I’m done taking care of my animals for the morning and want to know if you are ready for lunch.’

Freya sighs heavily and drops her Zorua.

Fluttershy holds up a basket. ‘Actually, I have prepared a picnic if you want to get out of the house...’

Freya sits up and looks at her mother. She smiles and holds up Angel.

Fluttershy and Freya silently sit on a log beside a small pond. An empty basket sits in front of them. Fluttershy calmly puts a plate back in the basket.

‘I hate Pumpkin,’ Freya mutters.

‘No, you don’t,’ Fluttershy replies. ‘You’re just upset at her because of your little spat.’

Freya picks up Angel. ‘She wants to take Satsuma from me.’ She pouts. ‘But she can’t. I saw him first. I’ve known him longer.’

‘Not unless Applejack ever visited the Cakes in the months between when Satsuma and you were born.’

Freya frowns intensely and glares at her mother.

Fluttershy laughs and puts a wing around her daughter. ‘It is okay. Everything will work out.’

Freya looks away. Her frown changes from upset to sad. ‘M-Mr Sparkle, I mean, Satsuma’s dad Mr Sparkle, not my teacher, I mean…’ She shakes her head. ‘He said I should break up with Satsuma...’

‘Really?’ Fluttershy raises an eyebrow. ‘Did he say why?’

Her daughter nods. ‘He said that Satsuma was bad for me. He said that you would know why too.’

Fluttershy takes a deep breath. ‘Back before I even knew your father, before he dated Applejack even, I had a silly notion that James and I should be married. I even tricked him into letting me move in with him. We even acted like a real married couple.’

Freya looks up at her mom. ‘Really? What happened?’

‘Well...’ Fluttershy frowns and looks away. ‘He was okay at first, but it didn’t last. He eventually started seeing Twilight behind my back...

‘That’s mean of him! You should have smacked him and dumped him!’

Her mother shakes her head. ‘I was the one forcing him into a lie. If I had listened to him in the first place, we… I would never have forced the lie on everypony. I wouldn’t have hurt all my friends with my lie...

‘But if you were happy, why did he cheat on you?’

‘Being with me was cheating on Twilight to begin with. I was the one who caused everypony to suffer.’ She laughs derisively. ‘Some avatar of Kindness I was, right?’

Freya frowns, upset. ‘But how does this relate to me and Satsuma?’

‘I’m going to go out on a limb and guess Satsuma isn’t always the most attentive of coltfriends.’

Her daughter snorts and looks away. ‘Just because… Well, no, but… Pumpkin and Razzly may have been spending time with him without him inviting me...’ She closes her eyes and tries to force back tears.

Fluttershy pulls her daughter close and gives her a big hug. ‘You’re still a very young filly. You have plenty of time to find your special somepony. Just don’t let one bad apple ruin the bunch.’

‘Satsumas aren’t apples.’

Fluttershy laughs at the joke. Freya starts giggling too. They laugh together as they start cleaning up.

Fluttershy’s family sits at the dinner table. Kain makes an upset face at the salad in front of him. Sunshine yawns and sips a mug of coffee. Fluttershy sets down a plate of biscuits and joins her family.

‘How was everypony’s day?’ Sunshine asks.

‘Boring,’ Kain moans.

Freya nods and starts serving herself.

‘We had a quiet day,’ Fluttershy replies. ‘Though we did have a nice talk earlier.’

‘About what?’

‘Mare stuff.’

Freya jokingly sticks her tongue at her dad.

Fluttershy smiles at her daughter. ‘I was thinking that Freya’s outburst was brought on by stress. Maybe we could arrange a mini-holiday.’

‘You mean like visit your family?’ Sunshine asks.

‘Oh dear Celestia, no!’ his wife replies. ‘I mean, maybe she can have a sleepover with one of her friends.’

‘Freya has friends?’ Kain wonders.

Freya growls and glares at her brother.

‘She is friends with Flitter’s daughter,’ his mother replies. ‘She is probably worried about her friend.’

Sunshine nods. ‘They don’t live too far from here. If Freya needs anything, it wouldn’t be out of the way.’

Freya nods in agreement with her parents.

Fluttershy smiles at her daughter. ‘Good! I’ll give Flitter a call after dinner.’

‘Wait. I’m still trying to understand this,’ Kain interrupts. ‘Freya has frie-’ Everypony else at the table glares at him. ‘Never mind.’

The next day. Fluttershy and Freya fly up to a cloud house. Freya is wearing a small saddlebag. Angel and her Zorua are riding in the bag. Fluttershy raises a hoof to knock, but remembers they are on cloud. She starts looking around the door.

‘Oh, I never remember how these work,’ she grumbles. ‘And I grew up in one!’ She peeks through a window. ‘Hello?’

The door opens. Summer Rain gallops out to greet her friend.

‘Come on in,’ Flitter says from inside.

Summer Rain shows her guests in. Flitter waves them to a parlor.

‘Thanks for having Freya over,’ Fluttershy says.

‘No prob!’ Flitter replies. ‘It is always nice meeting Summer’s friends.’

‘Don’t be upset if Freya is a little nervous. This is her first sleepover.’

Freya looks up and frowns at her mother.

‘It is my first sleepover too,’ Summer assures. ‘Well, first here. All of my other friends can’t walk on clouds.’ She laughs. ‘This is going to be so much fun.’

Flitter joins the others. ‘You have nothing to worry about, Fluttershy. Everything will be perfectly fine.’

Fluttershy nods. ‘Oh! Freya doesn’t really talk much… I hope you can...’

‘I can understand her,’ Summer interrupts. ‘We’ve been friends long enough to get that far.’

The two fillies smile at each other.

‘Okay...’ Fluttershy gives her daughter a hug. ‘Have fun. If you need anything, just call.’ She lets go and goes to the door. She looks back at Freya. ‘And I know you don’t talk much, but at least thank them while you’re here.’

Freya nods and waves to her mother. Fluttershy smiles and flies away. Flitter closes the door. She turns back to the fillies.

‘So, uh, I don’t know where to start,’ the mare states. ‘How about some games?’

‘Yeah,’ Summer agrees. She pulls Freya’s leg. ‘Come on. Let’s go pick some out.’

‘That sounds fun,’ Freya quietly replies.

The two pegasi stop and stare at their guest.

‘What was that?’ Summer asks.

‘Um, I’m getting used to talking more,’ the other filly mutters.

‘Oh my Luna!’ Flitter cries. ‘You never said she had the most adorable little voice ever!’

‘I-I didn’t really know,’ her daughter replies.

‘Please don’t make a big deal...’ Freya whispers.

‘I’m sorry,’ her friend replies. ‘You just surprised us.’ She pulls her friend’s leg again. ‘Let’s go pick out some games now.’

Freya and Summer sit in front of a television. They have games and snacks around them. Angel sits on Summer’s head while the Zorua doll sits on Freya. Flitter yawns as she trots into the room.

‘You two still up?’ the older pegasus asks. ‘Come on. Let’s get you two to bed. We’re not all bats.’

Freya glares at her host.

‘Oh, I didn’t mean it like that.’ Flitter helps the fillies to their hooves. She shoos them towards the bedrooms. ‘Freya, Summer said you were in trouble at school, but she didn’t say why. Do you mind me asking?’

Freya looks down. ‘I got into a fight.’

Summer looks back. ‘I heard it was “pow!”, one shot. You would have been proud, mom.’

They reach Summer’s room.

Flitter rolls her eyes. ‘Knock out one cable rep…’ She helps the fillies into bed. ‘What was the fight about?’

‘They took my doll...’

Summer quickly gives Angel back to Freya.

‘It wasn’t just that,’ Freya adds. ‘They were stealing my coltfriend...’

‘That is not really something to get upset about,’ Flitter replies.

‘... more than usual.’

‘ “More than usual”? You mean, he’s been seeing them before?’ Flitter asks. Freya nods. ‘Sounds like you should have punched him too.’ She grimaces for a second. ‘Though that is the reason I can’t come within twenty meters of Summer’s father.’

‘Or the meter reader,’ Summer adds.

‘Hey! I’m a weather mare. I should know how much water we are using.’ Flitter snorts and turns away. ‘Trying to charge us for something I do myself. They got off lucky.’

The fillies laugh.

Flitter tucks the fillies in. ‘Anyway, if there is anymore trouble, Summer has your back.’

‘Definitely,’ her daughter agrees.

‘Now get some rest.’ Flitter goes to the door and turns off the light. ‘I have something special planned for tomorrow.’

After spending the weekend with her friend, including a trip to Rainbow Falls, Freya is ready to return to school. Fluttershy escorts her children, just to make sure nothing bad happens.

‘Freya, if they start teasing you again...’ Fluttershy begins.

‘Punch them in the throat!’

The family stops and looks up. Rei is flying over them.

‘What?’ the white pegasus defends. ‘That is the only language bullies understand.’

Fluttershy Stares at her until she flies away.

‘Rei is so cool...’ Freya whispers.

‘What I was going to say,’ Fluttershy continues, ‘is to learn a simple phrase that works all the time: “Discord knows where you live.” ’

Her foals laugh at the suggestion.

‘And if all else fails, scream for “Rainbow Dash” and pretend to cry. That works too.’

The foals laugh again. They reach the schoolhouse. Fluttershy watches from the gate as her foals go on without her. Kain sees his friends and darts off. Freya heads towards the classroom, but Pumpkin and Razzly cut her off again.

‘Freya, listen, we...’ Razzly says.

‘I have nothing to say to you,’ Freya snorts. She pushes past them.

Pumpkin stands in place, shocked.

‘That went well,’ Razzly comments.

Before Freya reached the building, Satsuma comes out to greet her. ‘Freya! There you are good to see you.’

‘Can it!’ Freya snaps. Everypony turns their attention to her, surprised to hear her speak. ‘This whole thing is your fault.’

‘Wha? Frey-’

She shakes her head. ‘I know you were spending time with them without telling me for weeks now. That is why they were taking all your time last week and why they provoked me.’

‘Freya, I...’

‘Shut up! You didn’t even call me once while I was suspended. You’re such a stupid jerk.’ She glances back at Pumpkin and Razzly. ‘If you want to spend your time with the vapid show-off or the hulking brute...’

‘She called you vapid,’ Razzly chuckles.

‘... go ahead. Because we are through.’ Freya turns her nose up and trots past the stunned Satsuma.

All the students start gossiping about the breakup they just witnessed. Pumpkin and Razzly try to comfort the shell-shocked Satsuma. Freya looks up at a cloud. Rei waves back to her before returning her attention to her youngest brother. Fluttershy cannot hold back a smile as Starlight teleports beside her.

‘Fluttershy,’ the teacher says, ‘I have to ask you to please get your daughter to stop delivering epic beatdowns on my students. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get my brother home before he starts crying and really embarrasses himself.’

Starlight teleports away to tend to his brother. Fluttershy watches Freya in the schoolhouse chatting with Summer Rain. She smiles, sighs and trots away, hoping her daughter does not cause too much more trouble.

Author's Note:

Freya Timeline: Dumps Satsuma spectacularly (something his father recommended she do), her Zorua plush gets more play time.

Satsuma Love Triangle: Razzly vs Pumpkin vs Freya

Author's Notes: I don't really care for putting the foals in relationships. Quicker to kills of Freya's crush and have the others fight over Satsuma until all of them are old enough. Also, we might start to see a change in Freya's personality from here on out.

PreviousChapters Next