• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Baby Pies

Main Characters: Pinkie, Presea, Juliet, Pumpkin, Pound
Cameos: Applejack, Rei
Original Start Date: July 16, 2013


Pinkie Pie wakes to a constant, loud, annoying sound in her ears. The tired mare groans and checks her clock. It is a hour before she planned to get up. She sighs and decides it is as good a time as ever to wake up. She reaches for her alarm, but it is off. Confused, she cuddles with her babies, trying to ignore the noise, but she notices something wrong. Instead of two foals, just Presea rests in her forelegs. Pinkie tries sitting up, but there is a weight on her chest.

‘Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!’ Juliet calls monotonously, standing on her mother.

‘Juliet?’

‘Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!’

‘At least I found the source of the noise...’ Pinkie sits, holding her daughter. ‘It’s okay, sweetie. Mommy’s up.’

Juliet nuzzles her mother. ‘Mom.’

A thought strikes. ‘Juliet? You can talk?’

The filly nods. ‘Mom! Mom! Mom!’

‘Okay. Okay. Enough of that. Do you know anything else?’

Juliet thinks. ‘Eat! Mom, eat! Eat, mom!’

Presea stirs and looks up at her mother and sister. She pokes her mother and rubs her stomach.

‘I get it. You’re hungry.’ Pinkie gets up and sets her daughters on her back. ‘Let’s have a big breakfast!’

The twins hug their mother. ‘Mom,’ Juliet coos.

After breakfast, Pinkie hits the town with the twins. She is more than a little surprised that Juliet can speak at only a month old. The baby has only said ‘mom’ and ‘eat’ so far, but Pinkie has a suspicion that she knows more. She is also worried that Presea is not on par with her sister.

Not getting the answers she was looking for from the Cakes and Fluttershy, Pinkie is at Sweet Apple Acres talking with Applejack. Pinkie sits with Presea on her lap while she talks with her cousin.

Applejack laughs. ‘Ya shoulda come t’ me first. Ya know Ah have more experience raisin’ one o’ Jimmy’s than anypony else, ‘cept Twi o’ course.’

‘Right. Sorry. I should have thought of you first.’

‘Ain’t no problem. Now, how can Ah help ya?’

‘Well, it’s Juliet. She started speaking today.’

‘Really? She’s only a month-old, right?

‘Right! We just celebrated their monthiversary the other day.’

‘Shoot. Took Satsuma a couple months t’ start talkin’, though he was readin’ up a storm befer then.’

‘He was reading that young?!’

‘Right, ya weren’t around fer most o’ his first years.’ Applejack sits back. ‘Yeah. He was readin’ ‘bout this age. He was only readin’ books fer youngin’s. His favorite was Carts and Trains and Thin’s that Go. Though, it weren’t long befer he was readin’ more advanced books. Now, he’s practically Twi!’ She laughs.

‘So, you’re saying that it is normal for James’ kids to be more advanced than others?’

‘Probably. Ya might have t’ talk with Rei or Starlight t’ get the whole picture.’

Pinkie frowns and holds up Presea. ‘But wut about my little-wittle Pressie-wessie? She hasn’t shown anything off.’

Presea giggles and reaches for her mother. Pinkie smiles and blows a raspberry on her daughter’s belly.

Applejack smiles at her cousin. ‘She’ll do something eventually. Ya don’ cousinhave t’ worry ‘bout it.’

Pinkie looks up from blowing raspberries. ‘What? I wasn’t paying attention.’

The other mare laughs. ‘Jus’ sayin’ ya’ll be fine. Nothin’ t’ worry ‘bout.’

‘Thank you. You’re a great friend.’ Pinkie stands and places her daughters on her back. ‘Come on, girls. Let’s go see your big sister before lunch.’

‘Eat!’ Juliet says.

‘That’s right, Juliet. Eat.’

Applejack laughs as she escorts her friend out.

‘Rei!’

Rei snickers and boops Juliet’s nose.

‘Rei!’ the filly squeals.

The pegasus laughs and boops her sister again.

‘Rei!’

Rei backs away and sits. ‘That is too cute. I have to stop.’ She ruffles Juliet’s mane. ‘She’s just like Alba.’

Juliet and her mother laugh.

‘Was Alba a smart filly too?’ Pinkie asks.

‘One of the smartest! She was fluent in Neighponese by the time she was Satsuma’s age. I think she learned... three thousand characters? Something like that. She was also learning a couple other languages.’

Pinkie’s jaw drops. ‘Holy moley!’

Rei shrugs. ‘I know a couple other languages as well. So did Helios. My brother Apple was super strong, and Rainbow... You would love Rainbow!’

‘All your siblings sound really nice. I would love to meet them one day.’

‘Me too. I know everypony would love each other.’

Pinkie smiles. ‘I wonder what skills Presea will show off.’

‘It can be anything! I even graduated high school early back where I am from. Last I heard of Helios, he was done with school at the same age too! I bet he had a blast!

‘I know Pressie will be as smart as all of you. Isn’t that right, Pressie-wessie?’ Pinkie lifts her daughter to her back. ‘Thank you, Rei. You helped me out a lot.’

‘Anything for my family.’

Rei boops Juliet’s nose one last time.

‘Rei!’ the filly cheers.

Everypony laughs as Rei shows Pinkie out.

Satsuma returns home after school. He mopes to his room, still sad that Freya dumped him. His mother brings him a nice, warm slice of cake.

‘Thanks, mom.’

‘No problem. Jus’ take all the time ya need.’

Satsuma samples the cake. ‘This is real good.’

‘Thanks. Yer Auntie Pinkie Pie left it. At least Ah think she left it.’

‘Huh?’

Applejack rubs the back of her head. ‘Ah don’ remember her havin’ it with her, and she and Ah talked the whole time.’

Satsuma takes another bite. ‘Well, Pinkie Pie works in mysterious ways.’

The Apples laugh and eat their cake.

‘Welcome home, Inkie-chan!’ Rei greets as her wife returns.

‘Hey, Rei,’ Inkie replies. ‘I just have to check something in my lab real quick.’

‘Better be very quick or your dinner might get even more eaten.’

Inkie shakes her head and laughs at her wife. She goes to lab. A few seconds later, she returns.

‘Rei?’

The pegasus swallows a mouthful of food. ‘Nothing!’

‘Were you in my lab while I was at work?’

Rei shakes her head. ‘No. I was working all day except when Pinkie came by.’

‘Oh? Anything important?’

‘She just wanted to ask about my sisters. But, what happened to your lab?’

‘Nothing, really... I was working on a really tough problem, but it seem it has been solved.’

‘Maybe you solved it this morning before you left.’

Inkie sits at the table. ‘I guess. I just don’t remember doing it. The solution is brilliantly simple too. A lot more elegant than mine.’

‘Maybe one of my sisters solved it.’

‘Rei, I know your whole family is smart, which is why I try to keep you away from my projects until I get a chance to figure them out, but I really doubt a baby could find a solution to a complex geochemistry problem.’

Rei shrugs and keeps eating. ‘Maybe daddy showed up while we were out.’

Inkie sighs. ‘Whatever. I have a solution. I can take it to mom and Blinkie.’

The mares continue their meal together.

The next afternoon, Pinkie and Lemon trot into Sugarcube Corner with the Pie twins. The Cakes and their twins load a cart full of treats.

‘Need anymore help?’ Pinkie asks.

‘We’re almost done,’ Carrot Cake replies. ‘You can set the babies anywhere.’

Pinkie sets the twins off in a corner, leaves them some toys and kisses their heads. She trots to Pound. ‘Thanks for watching them. It means a lot.’

‘Of course, Pinkie,’ Pound responds. ‘You always watched us when we were younger. It is only fair we help you.’

‘I’m sure you’ll take good care of the twins.’

Carrot and Cup push their cart to the door. Lemon helps take it outside. Pinkie and Cup Cake meet at the door. The Cake twins trot up to the mares.

‘We won’t be back until later, but that doesn’t mean you can go wild,’ Cup Cake says. ‘No friends coming over. No crazy experiments.’ -- Pound moans -- ‘No sports indoors, not even indoor sports.’ -- Pumpkin moans -- ‘And if you use the kitchen, don't make a big mess.’

‘Also, if any strange ponies show up, don’t let them in,’ Pinkie adds.

The Cake twins tense up and shudder. The mares turn to leave, but Pinkie stops.

‘Oh! And Juliet just started talking so watch out for that. Bye!’

‘Bye, mom,’ Juliet murmurs.

The older twins look at the younger ones in shock. Pinkie waves to her babies and joins the other adults. The Cake twins wave to their parents then go to the babies.

‘So, uh, what now?’ Pound asks.

‘I don’t know,’ Pumpkin replies. ‘But at least we stocked up on flour.’

Juliet looks up from her playing. ‘No mom,’ she comments, returning to her toys.

Presea looks at the other ponies. She throws her doll, hitting Pound in the face and laughs. The older ponies sigh.

Pumpkin levitates the Pie twins to her room, drying them off as she does. She sets them on her bed and levitates them their toys. The young twins play on the bed. Pound watches from the doorway.

‘They are fed and bathed,’ Pumpkin says. ‘Everything seems to be going well.’

‘Kind of hard to believe they are Pinkie’s kids with how well they are behaving.’

‘Well, they are Mr Sparkle’s too. He was a much calmer pony.’

Juliet sets down her toy. ‘Eat. No mom, eat.’

Pound gapes. ‘How can you still be hungry? You just ate.’

The baby glowers. ‘Eat!’

‘I’ll take care of her,’ Pumpkin sighs. ‘You watch Presea.’

The unicorn lifts Juliet and carries her from the room. Presea looks up at the pegasus and motions to be lifted. Pound sighs and picks her up.

‘Come on. Let’s go so something less boring.’

Pumpkin sets Juliet down in the kitchen. ‘So, what do you want? I can make almost anything my parents have a recipe for.’

‘MMMM.’

‘Uh... How about something else? I know! Do you like cookies?’

‘Cho!’

‘Do you mean chocolate chip?’

‘Cho-cho!’

‘Chocolate chocolate chip?

‘Cho-cho-cho!’

‘Chocolate-dipped chocolate chocolate chip?’

Juliet raises an eyebrow.

‘With chocolate sprinkles?’

The baby smiles and nods. Pumpkin sighs and gets out the ingredients.

Pound works on formulations at his desk. Presea lays on the floor coloring. The colt leans back and sighs.

‘Are you okay?’

Presea nods.

‘Great. Wait here. I have to use the washroom.’

The young pegasus gets up and leaves the room. Presea looks up. She climbs to Pound’s desk and starts coloring again.

Pumpkin and Juliet work in the kitchen. The unicorn tries doing what she can, but the baby keeps getting in the way and taking over the baking. Pumpkin resigns herself to watching Juliet work.

Pound sighs contently as he returns to his room. He looks at the floor, where he left Presea. He screams when he sees the baby drawing on his desk. He immediately snatches her away.

‘What the heck! My notes!’

Presea tears up and whines.

‘No, no, no! Don’t cry! I mean, you drew a very pretty...’ Something on his notes catches Pound’s eye. He sets Presea down and takes a closer look. He holds up a paper. ‘Did you do this?’

Presea looks down and nods.

‘I’ve been working on this chocolate cake rocket equation for weeks. You solved it!’

The baby smiles at the pegasus.

‘This is quite...’ He notices another drawing. ‘That is a lovely flower you drew all over my homework...’

Presea rocks back and blows a raspberry.

Pound looks at the baby again. He dumps his papers and pencils on the floor in front of her. ‘Wait here. Play with those if you have to.’ The colt dashes from his room. ‘SIS!’

The pegasus flies downstairs and runs head first into his sister.

‘OW! What is the big deal, moron?’ Pumpkin grumbles.

Pound rubs his head. ‘I think there is something wrong with the babies. Also, you made mom and dad waste too much money getting you helmets all these years.’

The filly bonks her brother. ‘Shut up... and what do you mean?’

Pound holds up his notes. ‘Presea just came up with the recipe and chemical formula for the chocolate cake rockets I was wanting to make for dad.’

Pumpkin reads the paper. ‘Are... are you sure you didn’t actually get one right this time?’

‘Sis. This is me. When do I ever get a chemical formula right?’

‘Well, uh...’

A loud rumble comes from the kitchen.

‘What were you baking?’

Pumpkin looks away. ‘Juliet was making chocolate chocolate chip cookies with chocolate sprinkles... all by herself.’

Pound reads his notes. He turns white. ‘Sis... You know that old mares’ tale about how twins can read each other’s thoughts.’

‘Yeah? That is total bull, except you’re an idiot and I can use magic to read your mind if I wanted to.’

‘Um... Also remember Pinkie Sense?’

Pumpkin turns white as well. ‘I think I know what you are going to say.’

The rumble turns into an explosion as chocolatey missiles shoot from the kitchen. They plaster the walls with cake as they explode. Presea trots out to see the commotion. A chocolate-covered Juliet comes from the kitchen.

‘Cho!’ the baby cheers.

Presea squeals and claps. Pumpkin screams and ducks, barely dodging the cake missile that hits her brother.

Pound wipes the chocolate from his face. ‘This is going to be hell to clean up before mom and dad get home.’

Pinkie sets her babies on her bed after a late night bath. The babies coo and roll around.

‘The nerve of them,’ Pinkie huffs. ‘Accusing babies of causing that big of a mess. I thought I raised them better than that.’

‘Cho!’ Juliet giggles.

‘Yes, there was chocolate everywhere.’ She snorts. ‘They even covered you for some reason... But Pumpkin did say you were in the kitchen with her... And there were doodles on Pound’s chocolate rocket recipe...’ She spins around and frowns at her babies. ‘What do you to have to say for yourselves, little missies?’

Presea reaches up and hugs her mother’s face.

‘Love, mom.’ Juliet coos.

Pinkie smiles and lifts her babies in her hooves. She falls back on the bed hugging them. ‘You two are sweetestest!’ She blows blows raspberries on both their cheeks. ‘How did you get so sweet?’

The fillies hug their mom.

‘You’re the best. Let’s go to bed. I’ll cuddle you until we can’t cuddle anymore then we’ll cuddle again!’

Pinkie gets up to turn off the lights.

‘Dad,’ Juliet squeaks.

Pinkie freezes and slowly turns around. ‘W-what was that, Juli?’

‘No dad...’ she whines. ‘No dad. No dad. No dad!’

Presea picks up on her sister’s feelings and starts crying.

‘NO DAD!’ Juliet sobs.

Pinkie tries controlling her own tears. She hugs her babies tight. ‘I-i-it is o-okay, girls. D-daddy is coming h-home soon. H-he’s c-coming h-home s-s-soo-’

Pinkie and her babies hold each other and weep.

Author's Note:

Pinkie's Pieline: Juliet starts talking. Hints of the twins' future talents? The twins miss their father D:

Story Note: Before anyone calls BS on Juliet's vocal abilities, I would like to remind you that Pumpkin and Pound spoke at the end of their first episode which was explicitly stated to be one month after they were born. Sure, they weren't expressing complex concepts like chocolate chocolate chip cookies with chocolate sprinkles, but they didn't have a dash of Time Lord DNA in them.

Title Reference: Going back to "Baby Cakes" where Pinkie was tasked with watching the Cake twins. Pie twins vs Cake twins?

PreviousChapters Next