• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Free the Press

Main Characters: Featherweight
Cameos: Starlight, Cheerilee, Scootaloo
Original Start Date: October 16, 2012


Featherweight sighs as he sits back from his laptop. He is in the middle of filing his latest article for the local paper. It is just a beat story on the increase in raccoon traffic through the park at night. The only ponies affected would be the astronomy club, and then only twice a week. It is a boring story in a long string of boring stories.

The pegasus looks up at his wall. An award for ‘Best Young Journalist’ is one of the few decorations in his tiny apartment. He got the award when the pop idol Full Moon personally picked him to be her blogger for her few days in Ponyville while she was touring Equestria. He had such high hopes back then, and now they are being crushed by an uncaring editor.

A chime indicates a friend wants to chat online. Featherweight sighs and puts on his headset.

‘Hey, Starlight,’ the sullen pegasus greets.

`Hey, Featherweight. How’s it going?`

‘Ugh. Just working on my next crappy story.’

`I don’t know. I think you are a great writer, even on your day job.`

Featherweight shudders. In school, his music teacher, Lyra, trained him to carry on reporting about Ponyville via human fan fiction. While not as popular as her, he quickly became one of the top rated authors on the site. He kept his writing secret from everypony, even Scootaloo, who is a huge fan, so that his public credibility is not ruined. If only he could show his editor without becoming a laughingstock, then he might get better assignments.

‘Thanks for the encouragement,’ Featherweight grumbles. Starlight is the only pony to figure out his secret.

`Sorry. Didn’t mean to upset you. I think you are the best writer on the site. Just because you don’t do r34 like Lyra, doesn’t make you any less of an author.`

‘Means I get less commissions and trades though...’

`That’s a damn shame. Oh! You know what you need! A major celebrity interview! That will make your career.`

Featherweight grimaces. ‘Tried that once. Look where it got me.’

`Come on. I’m offering you an interview with the hottest local celebrity right now. Everypony wants to hear about the mysterious pony that came from the stars.`

‘That actually isn’t that bad of an idea. I know every outlet in town has been trying to get an interview with you.’

`Only the best will do. And the best is my buddy Featherweight.`

‘I’ll take that by my editor first thing tomorrow. Thanks, Starlight.’

Featherweight paces outside his editor’s office. He is really nervous about pitching the interview, but he really wants his career to go somewhere. He takes a few last deep breaths just before the editor opens the door.

‘All right, kid. This better be good,’ the old unicorn grumbles.

Featherweight enters the office and sits across from his boss. The old unicorn stares at the young pegasus. Featherweight filled out a lot from the short, gaunt pony his friends grew up with, but he feels even smaller than that now.

‘So, what do ya got?’ the editor asks.

‘Um, well, Starlight offered me an interview. I was hoping...’

‘You?! HA! That is great that you got him, but I’ll have one of our pros do the real deal.’

‘He said that he would only do the interview if it was me.’

‘Listen, kid, we have a lot of better journalists that can handle this sort of stuff. You just sit back and leave it to the professionals.’

‘But he is only going to talk with me. He knows I will ask the right questions. He doesn’t want the interview to turn into the gossip trash you normally publish.’

‘Watch your tone, boy. That “gossip trash” is real hard-hitting stuff. We put everypony on notice.’

‘Yeah, and that why all of the columns end with “and the interviewee said ‘Nuts to this!’ and rudely stormed out.” That isn’t good journalism!’ He stands and slams his forelegs on the editor’s desk. ‘That is tabloid tripe! I want to bring the first good interview to this paper, and you just want to take it from me and turn my friend into another victim! You have no right to call yourself a journalist!’

The editor leans back and takes a deep breath. ‘You’re fired.’

‘WHAT!’

‘If you don’t like how we do business, take your puny award and your crappy photos elsewhere. You have until the end of the day to clean out your desk.’

Featherweight growls and slams the table again. He storms out of the office, slamming the door. He goes straight to his desk and starts packing up his belongings. That is when he notices that his computer is on and Twitter is open. He quickly starts typing.

Just got fired for trying to bring REAL reporting to the paper instead of the tabloid trash it publishes. Way to be journalists. - FW

Featherweight hits ‘publish’ and nods at his handiwork. He stares at the screen for a moment.

FML

Featherweight gets back to his apartment by midday. He drops his small box of belongings on his bed and looks around the room. The pegasus forces back tears, drops his mobile on his bed and leaves to clear his head.

The depressed pegasus flies around Ponyville. He looks down at all of the happy ponies below and sighs. He lands in an out-of-the-way part of town and trots to a building he has only seen from the outside. Featherweight sighs again and enters the bar. A middle-aged earth pony stands at the bar, cleaning glasses. He looks over at the young pegasus who just walked in.

‘Little early to start drinking,’ the bartender comments.

‘Not early enough,’ Featherweight grumbles as he takes a seat.

‘Sounds like you had it rough, but I’m going to need to see some ID first.’

Featherweight winces. He gets up and turns around. ‘Sorry. Forgot about that. I don’t want you to lose your business.’

The bartender watches the pegasus start to leave before letting out a sharp whistle. ‘Listen, there is nopony else here. I have plenty of nonalcoholic drinks. Have a seat.’

Featherweight stares back in confusion.

‘I said, have a seat.’

Featherweight sighs and returns to the bar. The bartender sets a soda in front of the young stallion.

‘So what happened to drive you in here this early?’

‘Got fired for trying to do the right thing.’

‘Oh? What was that?’

‘I worked for the local paper. I wanted to do an interview with one of my friends since he wouldn’t talk with anypony else, but they tried to take the story from me and turn it into garbage! Some journalists they are.’

‘You’re a journalist?’

‘I was.’

‘I thought I recognized you. You’re the kid who did the article on the bad sanitation in this area.’

‘Yeah. Real hard-hitting reporting.’

‘Did you notice how much garbage was in the streets when ya got here? Your article raised awareness of our problem and helped mobilize the community to clean up more while city hall reconfigured their sanitation efforts for the area. You really helped us out, kid.’

‘I did?’

‘Hell, yeah! If it wasn’t for you, we would have had a disaster on our hooves. Don’t give up. You have to keep writing articles like that. Start a blog if you have to.’

Featherweight groans and hangs his head. ‘Geez. I’d love to, but I can barely afford my rent right now. I’ll be lucky if I can stretch my last paycheque until I can get a new job. I wouldn’t be able to afford even the small costs of running a blog. Thanks for the support, though.’

The pegasus looks up. The bartender is at the other end of the bar, counting bits into a bag. He trots back and sets the bag in front of his customer.

‘What is..?’

‘It isn’t much, but it should cover startup costs.’

‘Well, thank you, but I can’t take this. I mean, I don’t even know if I will have time to...’

There is a bright blue flash, and Starlight and Cheerilee appear in the bar.

‘Ha!’ the unicorn laughs. ‘Told you I could find him without his mobile. First try, too.’

‘Right.’ Cheerilee rolls her eyes. She approaches Featherweight. ‘We have been looking all over for you.’

‘Not really,’ Starlight sings.

‘It is nice of you to look for me, Miss Cheerilee, but I am a little confused why.’

‘Well, I heard you are on the market, and I have a job offer for you. Do you mind walking with me?’ Cheerilee asks. ‘I would rather not discuss business in a bar. No offense.’

‘Perfectly understandable,’ the bartender replies.

Featherweight stands and goes to his friends. The bartender starts clearing the drink.

‘Let me take care of that for you...’ Cheerilee offers.

‘Can’t pay for something that was free,’ the bartender replies. ‘Hey, kid. Don’t forget this.’

The bartender tosses the bag of bits. Featherweight catches it on his wing. He tucks it away as he joins his friends outside.

‘Thanks for coming, but I am still a little confused why you are here.’

‘Dude, you have to check your mobile,’ Starlight says. ‘Also, you have to see all of the mentions you are getting. It is truly amazing.’

‘I just wanted to get away for a bit...’

‘What Mr Sparkle is trying to say is that we are here to support you,’ Cheerilee explains. ‘We heard about your situation, and we want to help.’

‘Thanks. I am going to need a lot right now. I have to find a job, for starters.’

‘That is what I wanted to talk to you about. Ponyville High School could use a new journalism teacher.’

‘Me?! I have only been a journalist for three years, and just a beat reporter. I have no real experience.’

‘Which is why you might have to start a blog. I would be sad to see you stop your reporting.’

‘I don’t know... If I am teaching, how would I find time to do any real reporting?’

‘It would only be a small special interest class to start. Once a week at most.’ Cheerilee explains. ‘We can make it larger if there is enough student interest.’

‘I really don’t know...’

‘Take some time to think about it.’ Cheerilee gives her former student a small hug. ‘If you decide to pass, we will still support you any way we can.’

‘And call Scoots,’ Starlight adds. ‘She is practically molting with worry.’

Starlight hoof bumps his friend and teleports away. Cheerilee groans as she starts making her way back through town. Featherweight sighs and takes to the air.

The confused pegasus returns back to his apartment to find his mobile flashing. He sighs and starts opening his voicemail with a free wing while opening his laptop to check his messages. When he gets to Twitter, he has a giant page full of mentions before him. His messages start playing.

dude that sucks. here for ya bro - @icecreamsprinkles
I am so sorry. I love you. - @dashis1337

`Hey Featherweight. I just saw your post. I am really sorry. Call me. I love you.` Scootaloo says.
Screw them! You were the only good writer on staff. Best of luck. - @sunshinebat
What’s your PayPal? Got a Kickstarter yet? I wanna help out. - @wilw

`Hey, uh, I don’t know what you are planning to do next, but why not start a blog? I can help you with web design and getting started. Love ya.`
If you need help starting and promoting a blog, I have your back. - @kstraub
Don’t let stupid editors keep you down. Keep up the good fight. - @keitho
Buck them! They are bucking losers if they fire their best bucking writer - @wboltrdash

`So, uh, I drew up some potential website designs. I sent them to you if you are interested. If not... Whatever. Take all the time you need.`
I am here to lend a helping hand if you need one. - @heartstrings
If y’all need any help, I’m here for ya. - @MrPurple
You’re destined for better things. Hang in there. - @therealfullmoon

A loud cough interrupts Scootaloo’s messages.

`Thanks a lot, jackass,` Featherweight’s former editor grumbles. `Your supporters have brought down our servers. Damn it...`

Featherweight laughs at the message.
Don’t let this stop you. Tell us what you need and we’ll help - @TGPT
Do you have a PayPal? How about a Kickstarter? Where can I help? - @midnightflyer
#FreeFeatherweight! - @coffeebrony
Um. Are we still going to get the article on the raccoons? Sorry if I am imposing! - @shy
#FreeFeatherweight! #SaveTheRaccoons! - @coffeebrony

`Hey, um, I don’t know how to say this... Anonymous sorta went to the paper’s... Well, let’s just say that I wasn’t... Well, that’s not entirely...`

Scootaloo’s message cuts off when Featherweight’s mobile rings. He checks the caller ID and immediately answers.

‘Hey, Scoots. Thank you.’ He starts crying. ‘Thank you so much. I love you more than you know. I love you.’

Featherweight starts typing and posts a message.

Thanks for the support. Still working things out. Big news soon. Best, FW

Author's Note:

Story Timeline: Featherweight becomes a freelance journalist and part-time teacher at Ponyville High School.

Story Event: The title is a reference to Free Press, where TWP and his friend have a nasty run-in with tabloid journalism.

Fun Fact: The Twitter users contain references to characters within MLP/TWP canon as well as real world people.

PreviousChapters Next