• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
Forged Silver

Main Characters: Silver Spoon, Rei, Steel Forge
Cameos: Luna, Twilight
Original Start Date: March 27, 2015


Silver Spoon is lunching with her friends Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo at an open-air cafe. There is a commotion above them as Derpy plows through a small flock of pegasi. The mailmare lands and approaches Silver's table with a letter in her mouth.

‘Special delivery, Miss Silver,’ Derpy says, setting the letter on the table.

‘Seriously, Derpy? We're eating here,’ Scootaloo complains, earning an eye roll from Diamond.

Silver sighs. ‘Miss Hooves, you know you can just leave any mail for me at my home or office.’

‘But this is really important,’ Derpy protests. ‘It is official mail from the City of Manehattan!’

‘That doesn't sound priority...’

‘But it is from the...’ -- Derpy frowns and looks at the ground -- ‘the city coroner... Sorry...’

Silver quickly snatches up the letter and opens it.

‘What would they want with Silver?’ Scootaloo asks. ‘She's just a business pony.’

Diamond hits her fillyfriend in the shoulder. ‘Don't be insensitive.’ She turns to her friend. ‘What does it say?’

Silver shakes as she puts the letter in her saddlebag, tears streaming down her face and staining her glasses. ‘Its my dad...’ She bolts up but slips and has to catch herself. She jerks around, not knowing what to do or what to say. ‘Thank you for bringing me this, Miss Hooves. I-I...’

‘Go ahead. That's more important.’

Silver nods and tries again to voice her thanks. She gallops away, not watching where she is going.

In her apartment. Silver packs her saddlebag with identifying documents and pictures of her father. She holds a framed picture of her and her father. After a moment, she hugs the photo and starts crying.

There is a knock at the door. Silver collects herself and answers. Before she can see who it is, she is tackled in a large hug by a small pony.

‘I'm so sorry, Gin-chan!’ Rei sobs.

Silver is a little surprised, but she smiles and returns the hug. ‘Thank you, Rei.’

‘I heard everything from Scootaloo. Well, from Diamond after Scootaloo was vague on the details,’ Rei explains.

Silver nods. ‘It is good to know I have friends like you at a time like this.’

Rei releases the hug and backs off. ‘Did the letter say what happened?’

The grey mare shakes her head. ‘No, just that they believe my father has been killed and that they need me to identify and... retrieve him...’

‘I know this will sound harsh,’ Rei says, looking confused, ‘but why you and not your mom or another relative?’

‘I... I don't know. Maybe he really distanced himself from my mom when they divorced.’

‘Hmm...’ Rei stands and blocks the door. ‘You don't have to do this alone.’

‘I'll be fine, Rei.’

The pegasus shakes her head. ‘Starlight told me what happened last time. You are not alone.’ She put on her best concerned-parent glare. ‘I was your pretend mommy once. I'm not taking 'no' for an answer.’

Silver bites her lip, unsure how to respond politely. ‘Um, but what about your, uh..?’ She pats her stomach.

‘Dinner? We can get food on the train.’

‘No. Didn't you tell me you were at the doctor recently because you want a foal?’

Rei's eyes go wide. ‘Oh, that! It won't be ready for a while. They're still making it. That last checkup was so they could collect stem cells to make the zygote before the put it in my belly.’

‘Oh. That's, uh...’

Rei reaches out and puts her hooves on her friend's shoulders. ‘Silver, I know you are scared and are feeling like you want to be alone right now. I just want to be here for you. Please let me come with you. Please stop thinking you can carry on alone.’

Silver tries smiling, but tears form and she starts crying again. She pulls Rei in for a hug. ‘Th-thank y-you, Rei. You c-can come with me.’

Rei returns the hug. ‘We'll leave whenever you're ready.’

Silver nods, not letting go.

Rei leads Silver into their Manehattan hotel room. The pegasus bounces around the room, checking out the amenities. Silver trots to one of the beds and collapses. She raises her head slightly when she sees something on the table.

Rei trots out of the washroom and washes her hooves. ‘I'm thinking of heading out for dinner. Do you have anything special I should pick up for you?’

Her friend points to the table. ‘What's that?’

Rei picks up an envelope. ‘Its for you.’

Silver cautiously opens the envelope. ‘Who could have known I was...’ She stops when she reads the letter.

‘What's it say?’

Silver sets down the letter and takes a moment to collect herself. ‘It says that the pony in the morgue is not my father but if I value his or my safety, I should say that it is.’

‘That's scary.’ Rei gets out her mobile. ‘Want me to call my dad and have him investigate?’

Silver pulls a pillow over her head. ‘I don't know... Give me some time to think, okay?’

‘Of course. You rest here. I'll be back in a bit.’

Rei closes the curtains after checking out the windows. She tests the lock after she leaves. Silver moans and rolls over.

‘Daddy...’

The next morning. Silver and Rei arrive early at the city morgue. Silver's mane is unkempt and she has bags under her eyes from lack of sleep. She stares at the ground, contemplating the letter. Rei stretches a wing over her friend, guiding her around. Once they are inside, she looks around the reception area.

‘This reminds me of my school infirmary back in Neighpon,’ the pegasus comments, sniffing. ‘Dr Shuu was a weird pony...’

A receptionist waves them over. ‘How may I help you?’

Silver digs in her saddlebag. ‘I got this letter...’ she mumbles.

The receptionist takes the letter. ‘Ah. Do you have any proof of identity and any sort of documentation proving you're next of kin?’

Silver silently hands over the documents.

The receptionist nods. ‘Everything seems to be in order. I'll inform the coroner of your arrival. Please wait here.’

Silver and Rei take a seat.

‘Rei... What should I..?’

Rei pats Silver on the back. ‘Whatever you say, you'll make the right choice.’

The friends wait in silence for a few minutes. A door opens. A balding, light grey unicorn wearing a lab coat and eating a sandwich trots out.

‘Sup?’ the coroner states. ‘I hear you're looking for your father.’

The two mares stare in shock.

‘Come on back. We'll see what we can find.’ The mares start following him. ‘Hey. I'm Woody. Nice to meet you.’

‘Uh, I'm Silver Spoon,’ Silver replies. ‘This is my friend Rei.’

‘Wonderful! Great to meet you!’ Woody cheers. He stops and turns to Silver. ‘Oh, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Very sorry.’

‘Its... okay...’

Woody leads them to an operating area. A covered body rests on a table. Woody sets his sandwich on the covered table as he goes to wash up.

‘Uh, should you really be putting your sandwich there like that,’ Silver asks, cringing.

‘Oh! You're right!’ Woody levitates a plate under his sandwich and keeps working.

Rei backs towards the door. ‘You don't happen to have a cousin in Neighpon named "Shuu", do you?’

‘No. Why do you ask?’

‘No reason.’

Woody returns to the covered table and sets down a sealed box. He takes a bite of his sandwich. ‘Here's some belongings your father wanted you to have. Just gotta sign the paperwork...’ He looks for a pen and levitates one from his desk. ‘Here ya go.’ He stops before giving it to Silver. ‘Wait. Where are my manners? You're an earth pony.’ He wipes the pen 'clean' with the cloth covering the body. ‘There we are.’

Rei turns green.

‘Wait,’ Silver says. ‘Aren't I supposed to identify him first?’

‘Well... If you want to get technical...’

‘Show me,’ Silver demands.

Woody uses his magic to pull back the sheet covering the body. Rei watches her friend carefully. Silver stares at the the corpse for several moments. She turns her nose use up and adjusts her glasses.

‘It is not him,’ the young mare declares.

‘Are you sure?’ Woody confirms.

‘Definitely.’ Silver turns to leave. ‘Sorry for wasting your time.’
Rei bows slightly as she gets the door for her friend. ‘Sorry. Thank you for your help.’

The mares trot out of the morgue.

Woody levitates his sandwich. ‘Great. This is going to be a lot more paperwork.’ He takes a bite. ‘Gagh! Dry.’

Silver is even more upset as she trots back to the hotel. That the body was not really her father makes her worry about where her father really is, who would want her in Manehattan, who planted the note in the hotel, and why somepony would want her to lie about her father being dead.

‘That does not make any sense,’ Rei grumbles.

‘Huh?’

The pegasus puts a magazine under her wing. ‘Just a really long run-on sentence in a story I was reading.’

Silver laughs. ‘You're so silly, Rei.’

Rei smiles, happy to see her friend in a slightly better mood. They do not get far in their trek before they are approached from behind.

‘Why didn't you listen to my note?’ a gruff stallion's voice hisses.

Rei spins around and charges electricity on her hooves. Silver hides behind her shorter friend but peeks out to see their stalker. The pony is wearing a raggedy overcoat that covers most of his body. A worn Wonderbolts cap covers his face, but Silver thinks she recognizes the pony.

‘Daddy?’ the young mare asks.

Steel Forge lifts his cap slightly and frowns at his daughter. ‘Why didn't you listen, Spoony? You don't know how much trouble you caused.’

Silver starts crying. ‘I'm sorry. I don't know what is going on. Just the thought of you... And that note... And I thought...’ Her sobbing intensifies. ‘I'm so sorry! I just wanted you to be alive!’

Rei eases up and comforts her friend.

Forge takes a deep breath and removes his cap. ‘Let's find somewhere to talk. I'll tell you as much as I can.’

Forge gets out a handkerchief and gives it to Silver. She collects herself. The stallion covers his head again and leads the mares to a nearby cafe. Rei offers to get them drinks and snacks while Forge finds an out of the way spot for the to talk privately.

‘I'm sorry for scaring you, Spoony,’ Forge apologizes before Silver can say anything. ‘I couldn't get you involved in what I had to do.’

‘It... Its okay,’ Silver sighs. ‘As long as you're back, I'm happy.’

‘That probably won't be for long since you ruined my plan.’

‘And when were you going to let us in on it?’ Rei asks, returning with the food.

Forge takes a deep breath. ‘I was trying to get the ponies after me to think I was dead. That way, I could finish my investigation against them and turn everything over to the authorities.’

‘Are they the same ponies that were after you in Trottingham?’ Silver asks.

Forge nods.

Rei scratches her head. ‘What the hay do you do to be wanted by everypony?’

‘I'm Steel Forge,’ he replies, as if that explains everything. Getting indignant stares, he adds, ‘I'm a metallurgist. One of the best in Equestria.’ He pulls a chain with a ring on it from around his neck. ‘See this necklace? Looks like simple stainless steel or silver and weighs about half a kilogram. If magic is used on it, it feels like several tons to the magic user.’

‘Even Twilight!’ Rei gasps.

Any magic user.’

Silver thinks. ‘That... still doesn't explain everything.’

Forge lets out a sighing groan. ‘I didn't want to tell you this, but you're old enough and deep enough in this to know.’ He leans back and sips his drink. ‘When you were a young filly, I was contracted to design various specialized structures. Nothing really suspicious, warehouses and the like. After your mother and I... broke up, I had a bit more time to actually oversee the installations I was designing. It took a while and some detective work, but I found out my employers were actually...’

‘ "Very nice ponies"?’ Rei suggests.

‘Exactly. I was horrified that I was inadvertently helping ponies that could harm Equestria.’ He sips his drink again. ‘I hid most of my money in accounts only you or I could access and started calling in favors to dig up dirt on my employers. The first drive I gave you had only a few locations and details of operations in Trottingham. Since then, I've collected all my old blueprints and gathered counterspells for all of the materials I made for them.’ He sighs. ‘I just hope I can get them to the right ponies before they catch me.’

‘Leave it to me,’ Rei offers.

‘I don't exactly know who you are either, missy,’ Forge snorts.

‘Um, dad, you might not remember, but when I was a foal, I did this project...’ Silver explains. ‘This is Rei.’

Forge stares at Rei for a moment. ‘She's Rei? I thought she was some filly following you around.’

Rei snorts angrily and glares at Forge.

‘Its really her. She can definitely help you.’

Forge scratches his head. ‘I appreciate it, but I don't know how your determination will help here.’

Rei smiles. ‘My daddy is Prince Sparkle.’

‘Oh.’

‘And my birth mommy is Princess Luna.’ Rei's grin grows. ‘I can have the whole Lunar Guard here in a matter of hours.’

Forge stares in shock. ‘That shouldn't be necessary, but any help you can get would be great.’

Rei nods and gets up while dialing her mobile. Silver remains with her father as they try to relax and catch up.
...

Rei returns to the table smiling. Forge laughs after Silver finishes telling a story.

‘Who knew my daughter would grow up to be a heart stealer?’ he jokes.

‘Daddy...’

‘Were you telling him about my brother?’ Rei asks.

‘Rei...’

Forge turns serious and turns towards Rei. ‘So, what did they say?’

‘Luna and Twilight are on their way,’ Rei reports. ‘Daddy isn't coming, but he'll be helping in his own way.’

Forge nods. ‘That's good. I hope they get here soon.’

‘We should get back to the hotel,’ Silver suggests. ‘We can use the rest’ -- she looks at her father -- ‘and a shower. ... No offense.’

The stallion shakes his head. ‘None taken, but I'm not going somewhere private until the princesses arrive. There is less of a chance that we'll be found if we're moving around in public.’

‘But do you have to smell like a gutter? ... No offense.’

‘You'll be surprised how many very nice ponies ignore the ponies who sleep in the street. Best camouflage money can't buy.’ He finishes his drink. ‘We should probably be moving, too. Who knows who could have spotted us by now?’ Forge gets up and heads out of the cafe.

‘Where to now?’ his daughter asks.

Forge smiles at his daughter. ‘Well, I know a good art gallery my little girl might enjoy.’

Silver smiles and nods. Forge leads the mares down the street. Rei watches behind them, just in case. Her efforts are useless when Forge stops. A black carriage cuts them off in front.

‘Rei, get her out of here,’ Forge commands.

Another black carriage cuts them off from behind. Large earth ponies, tough-looking pegasi and even a minotaur surround the ponies.

‘Rei! Go!’

‘Sir?’

‘Just get Silver to safety! Don't worry about me!’

Rei grits her teeth and growls slightly, wanting to stay and fight. She snorts and flies under Silver, flying away as fast as she can.

‘Daddy!’ Silver calls as the ponies close in on her father.

‘Let them go,’ an earth pony in a fancy suit tells the pegasi in his crew. ‘We'll have everything we need soon enough...’

Back at the hotel. Silver paces, worried. Rei explains to the princesses what happened. Luna tries to comfort the worried earth pony, but Silver is too agitated.

‘I have Lunar Guards searching the city. We will find him,’ Luna assures.

‘Sounds like they were tracking you,’ Twilight surmises. ‘That does make sense since your father gave you your... Miss Silver, I need to see your mobile.’

‘I've had it with me since Ponyville,’ Silver replies, getting her mobile from her saddlebag. ‘There is no way they bugged me.’

Twilight gets out her sonic and opens the back of Silver's mobile. ‘They wouldn't need to if they had a mobile stingray unit.’ She runs her sonic over the mobile. ‘They could have tracked, listened in on your calls, and intercepted all your data without you knowing.’ She gives the mobile back. ‘Here. I encrypted your device as well as a few other enhancements. You'd have to be a crazy alien super genius to get at it now.’

‘Like daddy?’ Rei asks.

‘I said "genius",’ Twilight replies, heading to the door.

‘Where are you going?’ Luna asks.

‘I'm going to investigate the local cops,’ the younger princess answers. ‘If there was an illegal stingray in use, either they'll know about it or leave enough clues of a coverup for somepony like me to find.’

‘Very well. Good luck.’

Twilight nods and trots away. Rei gets Silver to sit on a bed with her. The earth pony closes her eyes and takes several deep breaths as she lays her head on the tiny pegasus. Suddenly, her mobile rings. It is an unknown caller.

‘Yes? Who is this?’ Silver demands, answering the call.

`We were able to track you. You don't think we could get your number too?`

Silver jumps off the bed. ‘I don't care who you are! I will get my father back!’

`If you really think that is true, then bring all of the information he gathered to the location we're sending you now.`

‘He didn't give me anything.’

`Huh. Then I guess you better find it. See you in a hour. Oh! And if there is a hint of a royal presence, you'll be lucky to get a piece of your father back.`

The call ends. Silver stares at her mobile. It buzzes a second later as the meeting location arrives.

‘Silver, how can we help?’ Rei asks.

Silver does not respond.

‘Miss Silver Spoon,’ Luna snaps, ‘we can only only help if you talk to us.’

The earth pony nervously gives her friend her mobile and tells Luna what she heard.

Silver and Rei trot through some warehouses near the harbor. The pegasus has her wings up, ready for a fight. Silver's eyes are on the ground and she stumbles a bit as she leads her friend forward. They reach a large lit courtroom between the warehouses. A well-dressed earth pony stands at the edge of the courtyard. Steel Forge is beside him. The gangster's associates can be seen in the shadows.

‘I told you she'd arrive on time,’ the gangster says. ‘You raised a good girl.’

‘Get out of here, Silver,’ Forge growls.

‘She'll be free to go once I get what I want.’ He sees Silver fumble with her mobile. ‘Don't try to call for help. We're jamming all signals in the area.’

‘No respect...’ Rei mumbles.

Silvers trips as she steps forward. She picks herself up and faces the gangster. ‘I-I couldn't find what you wanted.’

‘Well, that's not good.’ The gangster draws a gun. ‘You can leave now.’

‘But I can pay you! I have a thousand bits on me right now. I can get thousands more by tomorrow.’

‘I can pay too,’ Rei adds. ‘Name a number. Six, seven a dozen zeros. I can get it.’

The gangster shakes his head and taps the gun to his temple. ‘It is not about the money. It is about safety. All of the money in Equestria doesn't mean anything if you can't protect it. Phone banks, data servers, buildings full of stolen and "imported" goods. Any halfwit cop with basic sleuthing spells can see through them. The buildings your father made for us are worth more than what they contain. If we can't make more or if their secrets are compromised, everything is lost.’ He takes a breath and shakes his head again. ‘If you don't know where your father's plans are, then there is only one computer with them left. And I guess I have to erase the hard drive.’ He points the gun at Forge's head and pulls the trigger.

Silver's eyes go wide and her legs give out the instant the shot is fired. The shock is so much that she does not notice Rei arcing electricity at the gangsters and flying at them in a rage. She stares at her father's dead body as the world goes dark around her.

The next thing Silver is aware of is sitting on a bench at a police station. Cops gallop back and forth in front of her. She can hear Luna issuing booming orders in a backroom. She slowly looks around and a white blur darts straight towards her.

‘Thank Luna, you're back,’ Rei gasps. ‘You were completely out of it. We were going to take you to the hospital, but the cops wanted to see us first.’

‘Wha-what's going on?’ Silver shakes her head. ‘No. I just want to leave. I want to go home.’

Rei frowns. ‘I'll see what I can do...’ She gets up to talk to an officer.

Silver groans, covers her eyes and tries to forget everything.

Silver stands in the hotel shower, staring into the water. No matter how hard she tries, she keeps thinking about her father's last moments. She sighs and gets out of the shower. She climbs onto one of the beds. Rei dropped her off before returning to the police station to answer more questions.

Before Silver can wrap herself up, there is a knock at the door. She opens the door, revealing Woody on the other side.

‘Did I come at a bad time?’ the unicorn asks.

Silver resists ripping off his horn and shoving it somewhere uncomfortable, but she just responds bluntly, ‘Yes.’

‘Oh. I'm sorry. I'll just leave this here then.’ Woody sets a box at the door and turns away.

‘What is this?’

‘I told you earlier. They are some things your father wanted you to have.’

‘I told you earlier. That pony wasn't my father.’

‘I know, but that is from your father.’

Woody trots away, whistling a jaunty tune. Silver looks at the box and takes it inside. She sets it on the bed and opens it. There is a note on top.

Dear Spoony. Please turn the contents of this box over to the nearest royal guard or somepony associated with the princesses. I heard you know Princess Twilight's son. He'll do nicely. I hope to see you soon. PS: The top envelope is for you.

Silver opens the top envelope. It is filled with pictures of her and her father. There are even pictures of them with her mother. Silver just stares at the photos as the door opens behind her.

‘I'm back,’ Rei declares. ‘I told them everything they wanted to know. They agreed not to stress you further right now, though mommy had to help make that point. If you still want to go, you just relax and I'll pack our things.’

Silver looks at Rei, tears streaming down her face. Rei trots over and gives Silver a hug. The younger mare buries her head in Rei's chest and sobs her eyes out.

Author's Note:

So yeah. This is a chapter I wrote and wanted to exist in SCS canon. I think it may have had a happier ending when I first imagined it, but I'm sticking with the death and crying. Try and stop me!

... The next chapter has Sweetie Belle and seaponies. Enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next