• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,341 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,341

PreviousChapters Next
Welcome Back, Wander-, er, Sparkle

Main Characters: James Sparkle, Satsuma, Del, Freya
Cameos: Rei, Applejack, Pinkie, Razzly, Pumpkin and Pound Cake, Lucas, Mimi, Fluttershy, Sunshine, Kain, Silver Spoon
Original Start Date: March 02, 2013


Del ushers the students into the schoolhouse before class begins. Starlight has not shown up yet, but the assistant teacher is certain her brother will arrive on time. The foals take their seats and wait. The door swings open and somepony trots in. Del gasps and smiles. Satsuma’s eyes go wide with excitement.

‘Sorry, I’m late,’ the guest teacher apologizes. ‘Starlight is out with a flu, and I’ll be filling in for him for a few days. I run things a little differently, but I think we will have fun.’ He writes something on the board. The Wandering Physicist turns and smiles at the class. ‘So, physics, eh?’

At recess, the class behaves normally. Del does her best to keep the foals in line. Pound Cake and Kain play a game of Cloudball against Shaun and Lucky Heart. The young unicorns practice the last spells Starlight taught them. Pumpkin Cake laughs as Razzly struggles. Satsuma tries to act calm and read his books with his friends, but he also wants to look cool in front of his father. The young colt keeps nervously looking for his father.

In a quieter, more secluded part of the schoolyard, Freya and Angel play by themselves. The bat pony has her doll do a little dance. They fail to notice a small Tricky Fox dart past them. The black form dashes past them again. Freya looks up and carefully scans everything around her. Slowly, the little fox sneaks up on the bat pony and the bunny. Angel turns right at the last second to get a kiss on the nose from the fox. Freya jumps and looks up. James looks down and smiles. He raises his Zorua plush and makes it kiss Freya on the nose again. The filly squeals and brushes her nose clean. She smiles up at James. The stallion smiles back and continues playing with Freya.

A large group of ponies gather in Ponyville Library. They murmur amongst themselves about reports of a certain guest teacher in town. Apple Bloom softly closes a door and quietly goes down to meet the crowd.

‘Ah have an idea why y’all are here,’ the young mare says, ‘but ya’ll have t’ be quiet. Starlight needs his rest.’

‘Sorry, Apple Bloom,’ Pinkie apologizes, ‘but is he really here?’

‘Yep!’ Rei replies. ‘Daddy is coming over after school.’

Pinkie squeals, earning a ‘shush’ from Apple Bloom.

‘Oh, my.’ Fluttershy blushes. ‘I never expected him to be back so soon.’

‘Yer tellin’ me,’ Applejack agrees. ‘Satsuma must be so excited t’ see his dad.’

‘... And I am going to have to show him my shop and my employee and...’ Pinkie gasps. ‘Wait until he hears about my foals!’

‘How can he not know?’ Applejack groans. ‘Ah think ya told everypony at least twenty times.’

‘We have to have a party! But he doesn’t like parties. Maybe just a quiet social gathering... like a party! Wait! No! ARG!’

Pinkie starts pacing as she panics about what to do.

Fluttershy taps Rei. ‘Um, Rei, do you think your mother..?’

‘Of course he will have time for you!’ Rei giggles. ‘He is definitely going to have to see everypony.’

‘No, uh, I mean, can I come over tonight?’

‘Do you think Sunshine will allow it?’

‘Y’all don’ wanna get in the same mess as Ah did.’

‘I guess,’ Fluttershy sighs. ‘We’ll have to agree on a schedule for seeing him.’

‘Can Ah get ‘im next? He’s all Satsuma ever asks me ‘bout nowadays.’

‘Okay! I figured it out!’ Pinkie shouts. She is standing beside a whiteboard covered in markings. ‘What we do is... Somepony catch me. I think I am going to faint.’

Rei quickly dives under Pinkie to protect the mare and her future sibling. Applejack examines the whiteboard and scratches her head.

‘Ah think she covered everythin’. Shoot. She even has a plan fer if Darin’ returns while he’s here.’

‘Not quite,’ Fluttershy corrects. ‘She left out Celestia possibly wanting to see him. Which raises the question: where is Twilight?’

‘She left this mornin’ after checkin’ on Starlight,’ Apple Bloom replies. ‘She wanted t’ report t’ the other princesses herself.’

The pegasus sighs. ‘It would be nice to see her again too.’

‘Ah’m sure we’ll get t’ see her. Ah bet she wants t’ see us as much as we do her.’

Pinkie bolts upright. ‘I completely forgot to schedule Twilight time! ARG! Why can’t I be as good or cute as her at making schedules!’

Several mobiles ring at once. Everypony checks their messages.

‘Ah think she heard ya,’ Applejack laughs. ‘Anyway, Ah should be goin’. It is almost time fer school t’ get out and Ah’m expectin’ one overexcited colt t’night.’

Fluttershy nods. ‘I’m going to have to get Kain to tell me all about their day as well.’

Pinkie squeals. ‘This is so nervici... I’m going to faint again.’

Rei grunts as the pregnant mare falls on her again.

Apple Bloom laughs and helps Rei lift Pinkie. ‘Ah’ll help ya get her back. Lemon and Diamond are gonna be extra busy while yer pa is in town.’

‘They can always pay us back in free ice cream and stock,’ Rei replies. ‘... Mostly ice cream. … Or all ice cream. I can go either way.’

All the mares laugh as the younger ones carry Pinkie away.

After school, the foals file out of the schoolhouse. The unicorns are upset that there will not be a magic lesson. Del helps her father pick up the classroom. The stallion stops working when he sees a colt nervously looking back.

‘Hey, Satsuma,’ James calls. ‘Come here.’

The young colt trots over to his father. His friends watch from outside.

‘Um, hey.’ The stallion rubs the back of his head nervously. ‘Um, I know I’m not the most approachable pony, but I’m looking forward to spending time with you while I’m here.’

Satsuma just nods in reply.

‘Um, I know I am going to be seeing everypony while I’m back. I’m having dinner with Rei tonight, but I will definitely take some time to visit you and your mom.’

‘Really?!’ Satsuma’s voice cracks.

James laughs. ‘You don’t have to put on a show. Just... Just be yourself. I’m pretty sure we have a lot in common.’ He laughs again. ‘Not just the mane and glasses, too.’

They laugh at the comment.

Satsuma smiles up at his father. ‘Thanks for coming back, dad.’

James hugs his son. Satsuma’s friends ‘aw’. The ponies split and return to their tasks. Finally alone, Del turns to her father.

‘You know, he asks about you all the time,’ she reports.

‘I’ll bet,’ James sighs. ‘He is my only kid I haven’t spent much time with. I just hope he likes what he gets.’

Del hugs her father. ‘You and Twilight are wonderful parents. Who wouldn’t love the two of you?’ She returns to cleaning up. ‘Besides, Applejack raised him to respect his family, even if he disagrees with them.’

‘And his fight with Starlight was..?’

Del freezes. ‘You know about that?’

James smirks at his daughter. ‘We’re your parents. We know a lot more than you think. Like the secret stash of drinks you and your roommate hide in the back of the pantry.’

The changeling squeaks and quickly goes back to work. James laughs and continues cleaning up.

James sits down to a meal at The Power Block for the first time in years. It is also his first meal at that table where he is not the chef. Rei cooks a giant feast for her special guest. While he waits, James chats with Inkie, Lucas and Mimi.

‘Thank you so much for intervening with the judge,’ Mimi thanks.

James smiles. ‘It wasn’t me. It was Twilight.’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six years ago.

Lucas and Mimi are standing before a judge. The changeling has dropped her disguise.

‘Sorry,’ the judge states. ‘Changelings are not recognized as citizens in Equestria. I cannot grant you a marriage license.’

‘I have been living here for two years and three in Neighpon,’ Mimi hisses. ‘This is just racial profiling!’

‘It is Equestrian law. You need special permission from one of the princesses to gain citizenship. There is nothing I can do.’

A loud whooshing sound fills the room. A new set of doors appear on the wall. Twilight Sparkle trots out and goes straight to the judge. She levitates Lucas and Mimi’s marriage application.

‘Marry them,’ the princess states.

‘Um, wha, princess?’

‘You heard me. By order of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Lucas Grainsborough and Mimi are to be married immediately. Her tribe does not matter and if you won’t listen to me, I’ll have Princess Celestia in here in an instant.’

‘Y-yes, mum,’ the judge stutters.

Twilight smiles and turns back towards the TARDIS. ‘I know you will be wonderful together.’

‘Thank you, Twilight,’ Lucas says, bowing.

‘Thank you,’ Mimi joins.

Twilight nods to her friends and exits in the TARDIS. The couple turns back to the judge and smiles. The judge groans and picks up their paperwork again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘It really meant a lot to us,’ Lucas says. ‘Thank you, Boss.’

‘I didn’t do it,’ Rei replies, setting the feast on the table. ‘It was daddy.’

‘You call her “Boss” now too?’ James asks.

Lucas avoids eye contact. ‘Well, uh, you left her more of the shop than you did us...’

Rei groans. ‘I let you do whatever you want. You just never take my suggestions, like hiring another clerk.’

‘Come on! You only employ Scootaloo.’

‘And Daring,’ Rei snorts. ‘Daring still shows up occasionally.’

‘Um, has she found a coltfriend yet?’ James asks.

Rei giggles. ‘You’re asking because of the book, right? We’ve all seen it.’

‘It is a bit of a concern of mine, yes.’

The pegasus’ grin grows. ‘You know, there are ways for her to have foals without a stallion’s influence.’

‘Speaking of which, Bon Bon is pregnant. So, how soon?’

Rei blushes and squeaks.

‘We’re waiting to see how the baby develops,’ Inkie replies. ‘Just because everything is fine now...’

James reaches out and holds his daughter’s and her wife's hooves. ‘As soon as you’re ready, I am certain you’ll be a great mothers.’

Rei smiles at her father.

‘Now! Let’s eat,’ the stallion declares. ‘I’m starved.’

Foals run through the yard at lunch. Del keeps a watchful eye on everypony at play. Satsuma trots over to his big sister.

‘Del, where’s, uh, dad?’ the young colt asks. ‘Shouldn’t he be out here too?’

Del laughs. ‘Sometimes daddy needs time alone. He did this when I was growing up. He’ll be back, better than ever.’

Satsuma sighs. ‘I hope so. He is supposed to be visiting mom and me for dinner. I wouldn’t want him to be upset when he gets there.’

‘You’re the sweetest brother anypony could hope for.’ -- she shrugs -- ‘Well, maybe after Starlight, but you are the smartest.’

‘Thanks, Del,’ Satsuma groans as he goes back to play with his friends.

On the other side of the schoolhouse, James is relaxing while checking his mobile. He is trying to catch up on all the news since his last visit. Unknown to him, he is being watched. A small white rabbit sneaks up on the prone stallion. The bunny leaps high into the air as it pounces on his prey. Before it can strike, a Zorua jumps up and kisses it on the nose.

Freya squeals with laughter as James uses his Zorua plush to kiss Angel all over. She can barely hold her doll as she tries catching her breath between squeals. When she catches her breath, she smiles at James. ‘You are a lot funner than Mr Starlight,’ she whispers.

‘Really?’ James laughs. ‘But he loves playing with dolls. His mom tried forever to get him to stop bringing his teddy bears to life. … She also tried forever to keep him from using his doll’s accessories in her mane when she slept. … I have a really weird kid.’

Freya giggles then sighs. ‘No, it isn’t like that. It is just that...’ She looks away. ‘Well, except for when she is doing something with somepony else, Summer Rain is the only pony who ever plays with me.’ She frowns. ‘She usually gets asked before I can...’

The Zorua kisses her on the nose. Freya squeals with laughter and plays with her new friend for the rest of recess.

Applejack wears her finest ribbons in her mane and tail. Satsuma’s mane is combed, but it is still messy in the back. Big Macintosh sits at the dinner table and rubs a sore foreleg, his punishment for trying to sample dinner early. There is a knock on the door. Satsuma can barely contain his excitement. Applejack laughs and answers the door. James stands on the other side and smiles nervously.

‘Come on in,’ Applejack greets. ‘We can’t start without our guest of honor.’

James laughs and enters the home. It is just as he remembers it with two notable changes. One is a small shrine for Granny Smith. The other is pictures of Satsuma everywhere. James’ smile grows as he sees his son’s life played out on the walls.

‘Decorated special, I see,’ James comments.

Applejack blushes. ‘Actually, Ah have ‘em up as a reminder of what is most important to me.’

Satsuma turns redder in embarrassment. ‘Mo~~~m!’

The parents laugh at their son. Big Macintosh’s stomach is heard rumbling from the table. It is countered with a rumble from James.

Applejack groans, ‘Stallions! Always thinkin’ with yer stomachs.’

‘Or other pa...’ James catches himself and coughs to cover his tracks, not wanting his son to hear.

Satsuma groans. ‘I know about the bird and the bees, dad.’ He shudders. ‘I know about them too well.’

James cringes. ‘Rei?’

Satsuma shakes his head.

‘Can we not talk ‘bout this at dinner!’ Applejack snaps.

‘Sorry,’ the father and son mutter as they go to the table.

Applejack goes to the kitchen and comes out with several dishes.

James looks at the meal before him. ‘I haven’t seen this many apples since Twilight and I visited Jobs in Cupertino.’

‘Where’s that?’ Satsuma asks.

‘A town in California. Stopped over on the way to Mountain View.’

‘You mean Coltifornia?’

‘He’s probably talkin’ ‘bout alien thin’s,’ Applejack answers.

‘Alien stuff!’

Big Macintosh groans at his nephew’s reaction. James laughs.

‘Ah don’ think yer father came all this way t’ talk ‘bout alien thin’s,’ Applejack sighs. ‘Ah think he wants t’ hear ‘bout ya and what ya’ve been up t’.’

‘Oh...’ Satsuma thinks. ‘Well, uh, I sorta have a fillyfriend.’

‘Really? Who?’ James asks.

The young colt blushes. ‘Freya...’

‘Fluttershy’s daughter?’

Applejack laughs. ‘The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it?’

‘Satsumas aren’t apples,’ father and son reply.

‘Eeyup,’ Big Macintosh adds.

Applejack snorts and returns to her meal.

After dinner, James sits with Applejack in her room.

Applejack leans against the stallion she likes. ‘Thanks fer tellin’ Satsuma a bedtime story. Ah know he really liked it.’

James laughs. ‘Five hundred years gives a lot of time for stories...’

The mare sighs. ‘Five hundred... Ya and Twi musta gotten really lonely.’

‘It was something. We made a lot of stops. Then we had Starlight.’ He looks at Applejack. ‘You can come with us if you want. We wouldn’t mind your company.’

Applejack shakes her head. ‘No. Mah place is here. With Satsuma.’ She smiles. ‘Ah always thought the thin’ that would be most important t’ me was mah friends or the perfect stallion. Turns out it was mah son. Ah don’ ever wanna leave him.’

James smiles and nuzzles Applejack’s cheek. ‘He is lucky to have a wonderful mother like you.’

‘Thank ya...’ She smiles at the stallion. A blush forms. ‘Um, befer ya came over... Ah asked Twi a question...’ She fumbles with her mobile.

‘I got the message too. We’ll worry about that later.’ He leans against Applejack. ‘So, how have things been otherwise? Pinkie talking to you yet?’

Applejack sighs. ‘We talk more since she started her business. We work t’gether occasionally. Lemon comes by a lot t’ get apples fer her ice cream. Get t’ hear ‘bout Pinkie then.’

‘Better than nothing. How is Satsuma? Is he having less adventures than his stories make it seem?’

Applejack sighs again. ‘Satsuma... He’s a great young colt.’ She takes a deep breath. ‘Ah need ya, James.’

‘I know we got that message from Twilight, but...’

‘Not like that. Ah need ya fer Satsuma. Ah was able t’ raise Apple Bloom jus’ fine since we’re so alike, but Satsuma ain’t like that.’

‘How so?’

‘Well, he does help out on the farm and does all his chores perfectly, but he’s more of a thinker than a farmer, ya know?’ She smiles at James. ‘He’s more like his father than his mother.’

James laughs. ‘Well, we know Rei’s big brother is a great farmer, and she’s great at helping you out. How about I give the shop to Satsuma and she and Inkie take over the farm for you?’

Applejack laughs and leans against the stallion. ‘It is great t’ have ya back.

Del leads her class into the main classroom in the schoolhouse. The whole class in getting together for the physical education lesson. James is really excited.

‘So I bet you are all wondering what I have planned for today,’ the stallion guesses. ‘Trust me. It is going to be very fun.’

‘I thought playing those old video games was pretty fun,’ Razzly comments.

‘Trust me. This is better.’ James gets out a hoofball. ‘We’re playing hoofball.’

Pumpkin jumps up and double hoofpumps. ‘YES!’

‘Good to see one of you enthused to play. Pumpkin is going to be one of the team captains.’ He looks around the class. ‘Freya? Want to be the other captain?’

The filly squeaks, hides, then slowly looks up, smiling.

‘Um, dad, is that a good idea?’ Del says before Freya can answer.

‘What? She’s capable of great things. I bet she is good at hoofball.’

Freya smiles at the compliment.

‘Dad, I know you have your own way of doing things, but Starlight doesn’t have Freya compete with the others,’ Del explains. ‘Her shyness makes her a target for bullies so we just have her sit out of most sports.’

Freya whimpers.

James glares at his daughter. He looks away. ‘Satsuma, you can be the other captain. Pumpkin, pick a co-captain to choose the rest of your team. Then, take Freya and teach her everything you know about hoofball. And I mean everything. We’ll call you over once we’re done with warm-ups.’

Pumpkin nods and heads to the door. Freya nervously gets up and follows. She looks back at her instructor. James smiles and winks.

Freya charges up the pitch. She dribbles the hoofball in front of her. She zips past Pound Cake and slides under Shaun. Freya races towards the goal. Satsuma gallops out to face her. Freya jukes around her coltfriend and kicks the ball into the goal despite the efforts of Razzly to block the shot. The bat pony happily trots back to her team, giving a smug laugh to the shocked Satsuma as he passes.

Pound trots to his friend. ‘Dude. You were just scored on by your fillyfriend.’

‘Tough feels, bro,’ Shaun adds, putting a talon on the earth pony’s shoulder.

James laughs as the proud filly looks over at him. He turns to his stunned daughter. ‘So why couldn’t she play team sports, again?’

James helps Pinkie with her seat as they sit down to a quiet dinner together. The pregnant mare smiles at the stallion across from her. The couple are sitting at a private booth in Ponyville’s finest restaurant.

‘Thank you so much,’ Pinkie says.

‘Of course. You’re my special guest tonight.’

‘No. I meant for this too,’ the mare replies, rubbing her stomach.

James laughs. ‘Right. You should also thank Twilight for allowing that.’

‘She was there too, silly.’ Pinkie giggles. ‘Only took us five hundred years to convince her to try page one-thirty-seven.’

James laughs again. ‘Do you know when you are due?’

‘Should be soon. They are ready to burst from me.’

‘They?’

Pinkie blushes. ‘I’ve been keeping this from everypony since I wanted you to be the first to know, but I’m having twins!’

James stares in shock. ‘Twins?’

Pinkie nods. ‘I was happy with one gift from you, but now I know it was two gifts!’

‘Pinkie, I promise to help you if you need it.’

‘Lemon has been a big help so far, but I would love to have you around more. Both of you. I miss both my loves so much.’

James smiles. ‘For Pinkie, I am sure Twilight would agree to more frequent visits... or something more.’

‘From the both of you, anything would be more than perfect.’

‘Changing topic a bit, can I ask for a gift from you?’

Pinkie smiles. ‘Anything for you!’

James takes Pinkie’s hooves. ‘It is about Applejack.’

Pinkie’s mood instantly sours. ‘What about Liarjack?’

‘That is exactly it. Can you ease up a little?’

‘We get along well enough for taking care of Ponyville and when we need to do cousiny things together. Just because she lied about who the father of her child is...’

‘Pinkie. She came clean with all of you. She has suffered a lot for betraying Sunshine.’

‘She broke a promise. A promise she made when you were about to propose to Twilight. I’m pretty mad at you for allowing her to break it, too. I know first hoof how long it takes to make a baby.’

‘You have every right to be angry with us, but seven years is a long time to be angry at one of your best friends and cousin. It isn’t like you are still mad at Fluttershy for her time with me, right?’

Pinkie pouts. ‘I’ll think about it.’

James leans forward and whispers. ‘Not to mention all the free apples you’ll get for your foals. AJ wouldn’t want the siblings of her son to go poorly fed.’

Pinkie giggles. ‘I hadn’t thought about that.’

A green mare with a shining green mane trots up to the table.

‘Are you two ready to order?’ Jade asks.

James and Freya play together at lunch. The filly has a large smile after another fun day of hoofball. Her team might have lost to Pumpkin’s, but she is more than happy to have led her squad.

James looks up from the lunch Pinkie made him. ‘I’ve been meaning to ask. How has dating Satsuma been?’

Freya frowns and slows her playing. ‘It has been... nice...’

‘I know what that means,’ the stallion sighs. ‘That bad, huh?’

‘N-no! He is nice and all, but...’

James groans. ‘He is my son. How many others?’

Freya looks away. ‘I’ve seen him kissing Razzly after school, and I caught him with Pumpkin in his clubhouse. They don’t know that I know...’

‘I’ll tell you something that somepony should have told Twilight, Pinkie, Luna, Fluttershy, Daring, Celestia...’

Freya raises and eyebrow.

‘Anyway! Me and Satsuma are too dumb to know better. If you get really sick of his proclivities, just dump him. Spectacularly if you think that will get the message across. Ponies should not have to put up with our crap. Heck, your mom found somepony better than me. I know you can find somepony who will treat you right.’

Freya stares at the ground. She whimpers.

‘Freya, I know I am asking you to do something mean to my son, and I know you like him, but he might need something like that to knock some sense into him. I’ll talk with him too. Can I have your help fixing my son?’

The filly takes a deep breath and looks up. She smiles, raises Angel and has him kiss James on the nose. ‘An Angel Promise is stronger than a Pinkie Promise because you won’t hear me when I get you.’

‘I will hold you to that.’

Freya giggles. The friends go back to playing and eating their lunch.

Del serves her father and Silver Spoon at the mares’ dinner table. Her guest and housemate thank her for the meal.

‘Sort of surprised to see you living with somepony,’ James comments. ‘I would have figured you would have a nice hive to yourself somewhere.’

‘Ha, ha,’ Del groans. ‘Very funny, dad.’

‘Del is a great housemate,’ Silver Spoon adds. ‘She is very nice to live with and quite generous, offering me one of the spare rooms.’

‘I’m just kidding,’ James laughs. ‘Though I thought both of you were into stallions.’

‘Daddy!’

‘Hey! I’m not judging. Your Aunt Pinkie Pie is the same way.’ He shrugs. ‘Both your sisters too.’

Del holds her breath and growls at her father.

Silver Spoon laughs and calmly eats. ‘Thank you so much for inviting me to stay with you, Del.’

‘I'm sure you'll both find somepony great,’ James says. ‘Just makes sure he isn't the same pony.’

Del and Silver Spoon blush and go back to their dinners.

After dinner, Del and her father sit in her room.

‘Thank you for coming over, daddy,’ Del coos, rubbing her head on James’ chest.

The stallion flinches as her horn scratches him. ‘Why wouldn’t I want to see how my little angel is doing?’

‘Daddy... While you’re here...’ Del looks at the shelves.

James laughs and gets out his sonic. ‘Have screwdriver, will travel.’

Father and daughter rest after putting up her new shelves. The changeling cuddles against the smaller pony. James laughs and pets Del’s head.

‘How is everything going, Del? Do you like working with your brother?’ -- he laughs -- ‘Teaching your other brother? Rei and Inkie treating you well?’

The changeling moans. ‘I miss you, daddy. I miss you a lot.’

‘Del?’

Del wraps her father in a hug and sobs, ‘Please come home, daddy. Please. I really want you home again.’

‘Del, your mother and I...’

‘Please come home! I’ll do anything! I’ll do whatever you want! I’ll go back to working at the store!’ -- she changes form to a tall, dark blue pegasus with a red mane -- ‘I’ll go back into hiding! I’ll become the perfect little pony for you! Please! I want my daddy again!’

James sighs and pets his daughter. ‘Del...’ She looks up. ‘Please don’t hide yourself. I don’t want you to hide yourself ever again.’

Del reverts back to her changeling form. ‘Daddy?’

James holds his daughter’s head up. ‘I’m sorry that I am not around more. I know my kids really miss me.’

‘We really do. Rei and Starlight try to hide it, but I know they wish you were around more. Please com...’

‘Shh. Your mother and I know we are missed. We will make more time for our loved ones soon. Don’t worry, Del. Everything will get better soon.’

‘You promise?’

James kisses Del on the forehead. ‘Anything for my darling angel.’

James yawns as he patrols the schoolyard. Freya is playing with Summer Rain, so the stallion is able to watch the other foals with his daughter. The foals greet their guest teacher as he passes. James makes some notes on his mobile as he replies to the students.

The wandering stallion spots Satsuma and Razzly watching their friends playing a game of basketball. The young colt cheers for Pumpkin while the unicorn beside him leans on his shoulder. James sighs and sneaks up the two foals. He watches the game for a moment.

‘Satsuma, can I talk with you?’ his father asks.

Satsuma jumps and looks up. ‘Um, sure, dad. What’s up?’

The stallion nods. ‘Come with me.’

The colts stands and follows his father away. They trot around the yard.

‘So, how are things with Freya?’

Satsuma smiles. ‘We’re great! We do things a lot, and she comes to my clubhouse, and we spend the day together. It is really fun.’

James nods. ‘Do you two talk much?’

‘Well, uh, I do most of the talking, but I can pick up on her silent cues. Not too many ponies can do that.’

‘That is a special skill to have.’ The stallion stops. ‘How are things with Razzly and Pumpkin?’

Satsuma freezes. ‘What are you talking about?’

‘You’re my son. I see the way they look at you. How are things with them?’

The young colt looks away then smiles. ‘We doing fine. I don’t think the others know or anything, but I have kissed them too.’

James shakes his head. ‘Even when I was spending time with somepony other than my wife, I would never brag about the others.’ He snorts. ‘Heck! I was the one who set your mother up with Sunshine.’

‘Oh... Uh...’

‘Satsuma, you have to know that you cannot luck out like I did.’ He groans. ‘I had my share of fights with everypony, especially Twilight. If Pinkie, Fluttershy and your mother weren’t so understanding, everything would have ended up bad. Real bad.’ He sighs. ‘I only had eyes on Twilight from the start, but I kept stumbling into relationships with the others.’ He turns to his son. ‘You do not want to test your luck. I know you are young and have time to make mistakes, but this is also a good point to start learning.’

‘Don’t worry, dad. I have everything under control. I know what I am doing. It will work out.’

James takes a deep breath and starts trotting back to the schoolhouse. ‘That is what Fluttershy said when we were “married”. And no, it didn’t.’

The stallion gets back to the schoolhouse and calls for the foals to come back to class. Satsuma watches for a moment before joining his classmates.

James knocks on the door to Fluttershy’s cottage. She and Sunshine answer.

‘Good to see you,’ Fluttershy greets.

‘Mr Wanderer.’ Sunshine bows. ‘Sorry. I mean, Mr Sparkle.

James laughs. ‘It is okay. Everypony is used to calling me the other name.’

‘Come on in,’ Fluttershy offers. ‘Kids, our guest is here.’

Kain gallops into the room then skids to a stop. ‘I didn’t do it!’

‘Do what, son?’ Sunshine stands over his son.

‘According to Del, somepony tripped Green Kerner on the way down to the classroom after lunch,’ James reports. ‘Don’t worry. It was an accident.’

Sunshine sighs. ‘Be more careful, Kain.’

Fluttershy nods. ‘That is what you get because you rush all the time.’

Kain groans. There is a squeak from the stairs as Freya peeks in the room.

‘Freya, it is okay,’ Fluttershy soothes. ‘It is only...’

‘Mr Sparkle!’ Freya cheers as she gallops downstairs.

The filly hugs the guest’s leg. James laughs as his friends stare in shock at their daughter’s reaction.

Freya lets go and blushes. ‘Mr Sparkle has been really fun this week,’ she whispers. ‘He’s plays with me every day. He’s the best teacher ever.’

Sunshine turns to the other stallion questioningly just in time to get kissed on the nose by a Zorua. Freya squeals with laughter.

Fluttershy gets her laughter under control. ‘Come on. Let’s catch up over dinner.’

James licks his lips. ‘Oh, how I missed your cooking, despite it being “healthy”.’

The pegasus groans. ‘I’m going to have to give some recipes to Twilight if she wants you to stay in good health for another five hundred years.’

James moans and the bat ponies laugh as they follow Fluttershy to the dining room.

James joins Fluttershy and Sunshine for coffee after dessert. Freya and Kain secretly watch them from on top of the stairs.

The guest sips his coffee. ‘Thank you so much for having me over.’

‘It is always a pleasure to see you,’ Fluttershy replies.

‘Thanks for watching over Rei for me too.’

Fluttershy giggles. ‘Of course. She is my little girl after all.’

Sunshine groans and rolls his eyes.

The mare glares at her husband. ‘I know you love her too. You watched over her every night for a month after she came over and was so depressed.’

‘She is a good girl,’ the bat pony sighs.

‘Stalking my daughter aside,’ James sips his coffee. ‘I’m really sorry about the whole Applejack mess. It was a whole...’

Sunshine shakes his head. ‘I know you tried your best to get us together and working. While I do still have some hurt feelings from the whole experience, I am glad she helped Fluttershy gain the courage to comfort and court me. I don’t let our bad experiences blind me to what a good of a friend of the family she is.’

‘That’s good to hear. Though I get the feeling you would like to take me around back and slug me for my part in everything.’

Sunshine sips his coffee. ‘Maybe a few years ago. It is water under the bridge now.’

James nods. ‘Avoid the bridge on my way back. Got it.’

The other stallion groans and drinks his coffee. A tiny laugh is heard from above. The parents look and catch their child.

‘Kain, get to bed,’ Fluttershy scolds.

‘But Freya...’

‘We see you, Kain.’ Sunshine’s ears twitch. ‘I don’t even hear Freya about.’

‘But...’

‘March, mister!’

The young colt groans and heads upstairs. The parents sigh.

James laughs. ‘Kids are always fun.’

‘Says the pony who only had to raise one,’ Sunshine snorts.

‘I hear I have two more on the way.’

‘She finally said there are two?’ Fluttershy asks. ‘I knew she was going to have twins.’ Sunshine groans and gets out a coin. ‘Keep it. You’ll need it for the headache medication you will need once they learn how to trot.’

‘Don’t worry. I am sure their siblings will help out,’ James assures.

‘And their father?’ Sunshine asks.

‘Twilight and I are still working some things out, but he might be around more than before.’

Fluttershy glances towards the stairs and smiles. ‘I am sure more than just your children will be happy if that happens.’

A party is being thrown in Ponyville Library. Starlight is feeling better, and James is leaving. The recovering stallion leans on his fillyfriend while his father says his goodbyes. A stack of gifts, including freshly-baked eclairs from Razzly, waits by a doorway. James breaks from a tearful hug from Pinkie, a harder feat than escaping the short Rei’s and skinny Del’s tearful hugs.

‘Thanks for helping out this week, dad,’ Starlight says. ‘You really saved my bacon.’

‘It was no problem. I had a great time seeing everypony again.’ All of James’ kids smile at their father. ‘Though, your sister is more than capable of doing the job.’

Del blushes and kicks the ground. ‘Thanks, daddy.’

James laughs and goes to the TARDIS doors. ‘Don’t have too many adventures until I come back. I’m still pretty overwhelmed by all your stories this trip.’

‘We’ll try not to have too much fun, daddy,’ Rei giggles.

James laughs again and waves. He opens the TARDIS doors and turns, but he feels a weight on his leg. Freya looks up from her hug.

The stallion looks back. ‘Fluttershy, may I..?’

The mare nods, and James escorts Freya into the TARDIS. Twilight is at the console. She sees the pair enter.

‘Oh! We have a guest. Welcome!’ Twilight greets.

Freya squeaks and hides.

The princess laughs. ‘I’ll give you two a moment.’

Twilight trots away. James turns and kneels down beside Freya.

‘Don’t worry. I’ll be back before you know it,’ the stallion assures.

‘But, you’re the only one that doesn’t treat me like a foal...’

‘He treats everypony like that!’ a voice shouts.

James rolls his eyes. ‘You’re as smart and as strong as your mother. Just stand up for yourself more and the others won’t push you around so much.’

Freya whimpers. Her melancholy is broken when a Zorua kisses her on the lips. She looks up in shock. ‘What promise is that?’

James sets the plush on her head. ‘Don’t know. He doesn’t have a name yet.’ He gets out his plush. ‘His friend thought he would love living with you.’

Freya hugs her new plush. ‘Thank you. I’ll be stronger. I have great reminder of this promise.’

‘And don’t be afraid to talk to your mom if you need help. She is wonderful at helping everypony in need.’

‘I know.’ Freya smiles. ‘We talk all the time.’

‘That is great to hear.’ James opens the door for the filly. She trots away. ‘Two months, three days,’ the stallion whispers.

Freya stops and spins around as the TARDIS disappears. She turns around, squeaks and gallops to her mother. The others mill about as the party winds down.

Starlight looks around. ‘So, what’d I miss?’

Author's Note:

James Timeline: First chapter where he is billed by his new name. Returns for a bit to help out his son. Catches up with his other children and friends.

Satsuma Love Triangle: Seems he is slipping into his father's bad habits...

Freya Timeline: Makes a new friend who she is comfortable talking around.

Story Timeline: Two months, three days. (Hopefully less, likely more since this is SCS #33 and ... Spoilers! Sheesh!)

Story Note: The title was a play on Welcome Back, Kotter and introduces James' new name.

PreviousChapters Next