• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
My Sister's Past is Today

Main Characters: Sweetie Belle, Sunset, Corona, Celestia
Cameos: Tibbles (and Luna, I guess), Moon Glow, Technis
Original Start Date: April 13, 2013


In the royal library, Sunset Shimmer types using her wings, humming one of her brother-in-law's songs as she works. Absorbed in her work, she is oblivious to the world around her. A hoof waved in front of her face fails to get a reaction, so her desk is kicked instead. Sunset jumps and looks around. She spots Sweetie Belle staring at her, looking rather annoyed.

‘May I help you?’ the pegasus asks.

Sweetie rolls her eyes. ‘As catchy as your song was, yes, I could use some help.’

Sunset smiles. ‘Sorry. My sister's husband wrote that about her. It is hard to get out of your head once you hear it.’

‘Right. Anyway...’ The unicorn digs in her saddlebag and gets out a slip of paper. ‘My employer wants to get some records on some ponies from the other world. I was told to find somepony named "Sunset Shimmer".’

‘That's me,’ Sunset replies. ‘Celestia asked me to oversee the cataloging and integration of all the books and records saved from my homeworld.’ She giggles happily. ‘It has been so much fun.’

Sweetie raises an eyebrow. ‘Were you related to Princess Twilight in your world?’

Sunset gets up and stretches. ‘Nope. Unless you count the queen marrying the pony that was sorta her after she died.’

‘Huh?’

The pegasus goes around her workstation and to a door. ‘Anyway. Come with me and I'll get what you need.’

Sweetie rolls her eyes again and follows Sunset through the door. They head past a pair of guards to a room with a computer terminal. Sunset sets a hoof on a scanner and the system starts.

‘Prince Sparkle set up this secure database with all of the public information we sent from my world,’ Sunset explains. ‘We are currently merging it with this world's archives, but it is still searchable. Just give me your list of names, and I'll get what you need.’

Sweetie rounds the terminal as she levitates her note to Sunset. ‘So, everything about everypony is on here?’

The pegasus starts pulling up the requested files. ‘As much as we could send. I made sure we saved all the literature, science and history before any thought was given to backing up frivolous things like blogs or fan fiction. Although, the king insisted on saving all of the government records.’ She shakes her head. ‘Boring!’
The unicorn nods, staring at the screen. ‘Uh, huh. So you're saying I could look up anypony I want on this thing.’

‘In theory, yes...’

‘Look me up!’

Sunset looks up from the terminal. ‘Uh, I don't know who you are...’

Sweetie frowns. ‘Ah... I'm only super famous in this world...’ She smiles again. ‘I'm Sweetie Belle! Nice to meet you!’

‘I'm Sunset Shimmer,’ Sunset replies, typing.

‘You have a cute name,’ Sweetie comments.

Sunset finishes typing and sits back. Sweetie crowds forward to read the screen. She uses her magic to scroll through the information.

‘Ah... I died in your world. That's sad. Oh! What does it say about me here?’ She sees her entry, squeaks and tries covering the screen.

‘What's it say?’

‘Nothing!’

Sunset pushes Sweetie's foreleg out of the way. ‘It says you have a sister who's married to a dragon, and your job is singer comma... Really?’

Sweetie laughs nervously and rubs the back of her head.

The pegasus shrugs. ‘Eh. Just like Technis.’ She starts closing the program.

‘Wait!’ Sweetie begs. ‘There are a few more names I want to look up...’

‘I don't know...’

Sweetie makes the biggest doe eyes and saddest frown she can muster. ‘Please?’

Sunset groans and looks away. ‘Ugh. You're worse than Alba's friend when she wants something.’ She sighs. ‘Fine!’

Sweetie cheers and asks about her friends.
...

Later. Sweetie sits at the terminal, reading the screen. Sunset paces behind her.

‘I wonder if it would be stealing if I give copies of your Image's work to my Image...’ the unicorn wonders, scrolling through a screen. ‘Meh! I prefer my Image's work more.’

‘Are you almost done?’ Sunset complains. ‘I really don't think you should be looking all of this stuff up.’

‘Just one more friend to look up,’ Sweetie replies, typing. ‘ "Sunset Shimmer". ’

‘Me?!’ the pegasus squeaks.

‘Of course! We're friends, right?’

‘I-I never really had a friend before...’ She smiles and nods in agreement.

‘Great!’ Sweetie smiles back. ‘Because I need your password to get in?’

Sunset looks at the screen. ‘What? You were logged in as me this whole time.’

The unicorn points at a red screen. ‘But I need new authorization.’

Sunset frowns as she reads the screen. ‘I don't understand. I shouldn't be locked out... I thought you were searching your friends in this world?’

‘I was. Wait. Does that mean there is a you in this world already?’

‘I... I...’ Sunset types a few commands. ‘Why would grandma seal those files?’ She notices part of the screen. ‘That's not me.’

‘Huh?’

‘The picture on the file. It is my sister.’

That night at dinner, Sunset stares at her plate while her grandmother and aunt enjoy their meal. The young pegasus keeps thinking about the file she found with Sweetie Belle and wonders why it is locked.

‘I wish you wouldn't insist on allowing your pet rodents to eat at the table,’ Celestia scoffs. ‘They are scaring dear Sunset,’ she adds, putting a wing around her granddaughter.

Luna swallows a bite of food. ‘You're just jealous that they have more table manners than your overblown parrot.’

Beside her, an opossum, the current generation of Tiberius, wipes his mouth on a napkin before continuing to dine on a stack of cookies using a miniature knife and fork. Above him, Philomena makes motions like she is groaning and rolling her eyes.

Celestia groans and rolls her eyes before turning to Sunset. ‘Your aunt's pet aside, I have noticed that you are troubled. Do you wish to talk about it?’

‘I made a friend today...’ the young made starts.

‘Wonderful!’ her grandmother cheers. She instantly turns serious. ‘Do not tell Twilight Sparkle you can make friends while hiding in the library all day. I will literally never hear the end of it.’

‘She wanted to access the personal files that we brought from my world.’

Celestia nods. ‘I have to do that soon too. I wonder if your king had to put up with rodent infestations too.’

Luna and Tibbles stick their tongues at Celestia.

‘Why was there a file with my name in this world already?’ Sunset asks. ‘Why did it have my sister's picture on it.’

Celestia's expression changes from playful to stoic. ‘You are not allowed to access that file. You are not ready.’

‘Why not? What's in it?’

‘Careful. Those are banishment questions,’ Luna warns.

‘This is not a joke!’ her sister snaps.

‘I was only speaking the truth, sister.’

Celestia frowns and looks at Sunset. ‘Do not press this matter further. I'll speak to you about it when you are ready.’ She smiles weakly. ‘Now, tell me about your new friend.’

Sunset breathes deeply, wanting to ask more. She sighs and tells about Sweetie Belle.

Sunset sits at her desk. She tents her wings over her head as she stares at her computer screen. A hoof waved in front of her face fails to get a reaction, so her desk is kicked instead. The startled pegasus jumps and looks around. Sweetie Belle smiles at her friend.

‘We have to stop meeting like this,’ the unicorn teases.

‘Hey, Sweetie Belle,’ Sunset sighs.

The unicorn sits and looks at her friend. ‘I take it you got some bad news about this world's you.’

‘Grandma won't tell me about her, but she knows something about her. Aunt Luna implied that I'd get in big trouble if I kept asking.’

Sweetie thinks for a moment. ‘When you say "Aunt Luna", does that mean " grandma " is..?’ She gets a nod. ‘Oh my Luna! That is so awesome! Do you have a crown? Can I try it on?’

‘Focus,’ Sunset hisses. ‘I have more important problems than who I'm related to.’

‘Well, technically...’

Sunset simmers as she glares at her friend, a low growl building.

Sweetie waves her forelegs. ‘Okay, okay! How can I help?’

Sunset sulks again. Then an idea comes to her. ‘You know, I read your file yesterday...’

‘I don't like where this is going.’ She pauses for a moment. ‘The coroner might not like it either.’

The pegasus shakes her head. ‘Nothing like that. You just need to break in and get me a copy of the file.’

‘And how do I do that?’

‘I don't know. You're the crazy ninja assassin. You figure it out.’

Sweetie groans and facehoofs.

The next morning. Sunset is surprised to see Sweetie Belle waiting for her when she gets to the library. The unicorn smiles proudly as her friend approaches.

‘Good news?’ Sunset asks.

Sweetie shakes her head. ‘Nope! Terrible! Somepony tried breaking into the archives last night. I didn't want to, but my employer assigned me to help with the security check.’

The pegasus raises an eyebrow. ‘You seem chipper about this.’

Sweetie fakes a frown. ‘It was a hard fight. I didn't want to spend all day in the royal library, especially this early in the morning, but no, I have to learn to support all aspects of Equestria, no matter what.’

‘Did you even breathe in that last sentence?’

The unicorn's smile returns. ‘By the end of the day, I'll have what you are looking for.’

Sunset goes to her desk. ‘Then why are you here?’

‘I'm working on it.’

Before Sunset can question further, a cream-colored unicorn comes out of the back.

‘Here is a copy of the file you asked for, Sweetie,’ Moon Glow says. ‘I don't really get it. It is just somepony who used to go to Celestia's school.’

Sweetie levitates the file to Sunset. The pegasus nervously starts reading. Her eyes goes wide, and she starts flipping through the pages, quickly absorbing the information.

‘Anything good?’ Sweetie asks.

‘I... My sister... No, Sunset...’ Sunset shakes her head. ‘I have to go!’

The pegasus darts from the room as fast as her wings can carry her.

Celestia and Luna discuss business in the throne room. Luna slumps on her throne while Tiberius offers her a mug of coffee. Behind them, Kibitz brews a fresh pot. The main doors open, and Sunset storms in.

‘Sunset? How may we help you?’ Celestia asks.

‘Did you say that to her too before you abandoned her in the mirror?’ her granddaughter demands.

Celestia frowns. ‘I knew letting your friend into such a sensitive area was a bad idea.’

Luna slinks away. ‘I think I'll fine her sister...’

The younger princess scurries away, taking her opossum and coffee with her. Sunset glares up at Celestia.

‘What do you think you know?’ Celestia asks as calmly as she can.

‘The other Sunset, your Sunset, how could you?’ the pegasus seethes.

The princess shakes her head. ‘She did it all to herself.’

‘Liar!’

Celestia stands and stomps a hoof. ‘It is the truth! I loved Sunset! Her ambition drove us apart, but I still cared for her. I still care for her!’

‘Then why didn't you ask for her to return? After all these years...’

‘She has her own life now,’ Celestia replies. ‘If she returns, it will be her decision.’ She closes her eyes. ‘From what Twilight tells me, Sunset is happy in her new home.’

‘But she's your...’

‘She's me,’ Corona states, trotting up behind her sister. ‘She is the me from this world.’

‘Y-you knew too?’ Sunset grabs her sister. ‘Why didn't you tell me!’

Corona gently pushes her sister back with her magic. ‘Would you have freaked out any less if we told you sooner?’

Sunset tries forming words, but she cannot say anything.
‘I didn't think so.’ Corona offers her sister a hug. ‘We didn't want to tell you since I knew you'd think the worst.’

Sunset gives her sister a hug. ‘W-why'd you think that?’

Corona nuzzles her sister. ‘Alba told me that while I was passed out after my... bender when mom died, you hid under a pillow and screamed until you passed out. Twice.’

‘Oh yeah...’ She looks at her sister. ‘How long have you known?’

Corona looks away. ‘A couple months. Ever since Alba returned from her trip through our mirror.’

‘Oh...’

‘Twilight and Alba have told me a lot about her. About Sunset.’

The pegasus nuzzles her sister's chest. ‘What's she like?’

‘Smart. Sensitive. Caring. Amazing singer. Face-meltingly awesome on the guitar.’

Her sister smiles. ‘Just like you. Except for the singing.’

‘Hey!’

‘What do we do now? This Sunset is like you, but that is not your name...’

Celestia politely coughs. ‘It is not like you have a grandmother who is a princess and can change your names without a hassle.’

‘What do you say?’ the older sister asks.

‘I... always liked the name Corona...’ her pegasus sister replies.

‘I like you too, C-Corona.’ The newly renamed Sunset shakes her head. ‘That is going to take a little getting used to.’

Her sister snickers.

Luna comes out from behind her throne. ‘If everypony is getting new names, I'd like to try "Princess Celestia" for a few hundred years.’ Tibbles holds up a chart. ‘According to my research, that is the most popular princess name after "Twilight".’

Celestia glares at her sister.

Sweetie Belle peeks into the room. ‘I prefer "Princess Luna". It is beautiful.’

Luna smiles at the young unicorn. Sunset lets her sister go.

Corona smiles for a second then gasps. ‘We have to do a lot of paperwork to get our names sorted out.’ She grins stupidly. ‘Paperwork...’

‘Are you sure you're not related to Twilight?’ Sweetie asks.

Celestia laughs. ‘There will be plenty of time for that later. How about we discuss this further at dinner? I am sure Twilight and I can come up with some embarrassing stories about Sunset.’

‘Like the time she got attacked by ants after accidentally sitting in honey?’ Corona offers.

‘Other Sunset...’ her sister moans.

‘But I never did anything embarrassing.’

Other other Sunset.’ The unicorn facehoofs and shakes her head. ‘If you're this bad, think how bad Technis will be.’


Bonus Scene:

‘I'm cool with it,’ Technis replies as his wife escorts him through the palace.

‘Really,’ Sunset replies flatly.

‘Yeah! It fits you, Sunny.’ Technis kisses her on the cheek. ‘Besides, as long as we're still in love, it doesn't matter what you we're called. ... Except for Octavia and Vinyl. That'd be creepy.’

Sunset sighs and shakes her head. ‘From what I've been learning about him these past few days, you are just like your father.’

Technis chuckles. ‘Ya know... I'm gonna have to rewrite that song now. We don't want it looking like I wrote a love song about your sister.’

Sunset facehoofs. ‘I told you not to write that...’

Technis grins craftily and evilly.

‘Just like your father...’ his wife huffs.

Author's Note:

Title reference

Sunset Timeline: Swaps names with her sister to become Sunset Shimmer.

Story Note: When I introduced Corona in RoH, I intentionally 'misnamed' her to throw readers for a loop and to show how different the worlds are. Now that she is in the main universe, I knew I had to give her her proper name. Also, this chapter was originally scheduled later, but was swapped with another chapter featuring Sweetie Belle since I felt this was an issue that had to be addressed immediately.

PreviousChapters Next