• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
Alba's First Date

Characters (Human): Alba, Del, Silver Spoon, Shady Daze, Redheart
Characters (Pony): Featherweight, Alba
Original Start Date: July 24, 2013


Alba drags herself into Del’s bedroom and falls on the bed. She snuffles into one of her sister’s pillows. Del looks up from her grading.

‘Something bothering you?’

Alba looks up with tears in her eyes. ‘Del, how do you find love?’

Del nearly falls out of her chair. ‘What?!’

‘You know all about that love and relationship stuff. Tell me why it is so hard.’

‘Um, well, uh, I... I haven’t been on a date since Pinkie’s kids were born. Can’t you ask one of your friends?’

Alba moans and rolls over again. ‘I have few friends. Just you and Silver and our siblings. UGH! I feel like I am just mooching off your friends.’ She sighs. ‘I miss Razzly. She was more my speed.’ She sits up. ‘And don’t say the one we teach. She is totally different.’

‘You can always ask Lucas for a game system and play with people online.’

‘I was never into gaming. That was more of Helo’s and dad’s thing.’

‘Well, if you really want, you can go to back school. I am sure mom and dad could hook you up someplace nice. You can make a lot of friends there.’

‘I don’t wanna! I am so done with school! I don’t want to go anymore!’

‘Thinking of a profession change?’ Silver Spoon says as she walks by the door.

Alba moans again and falls back.

‘She’s just bummed that she doesn’t have as many friends as she used to,’ Del explains.

Silver shrugs. ‘Sorry I can’t help you there. Everyone I know is at least my or Del’s age.’

‘Any of them single men?’

Silver grumbles, ‘If there were, I wouldn’t know exactly how you feel right now.’

‘You two will find someone. I’m sure of it,’ Del assures.

‘Says the woman who won’t use her love powers to help us,’ Silver snorts.

‘Some big sister you are,’ Alba agrees.

‘Which one of us isn’t charging either of you rent to live here? And can I finish my grading in peace? You can bother me when I am done.’

Alba whines as she leaves her sister’s room.

‘Let’s get some ice cream,’ Silver offers. ‘I think Lemon left some earlier.’

‘Lemon left ice cream!’ Del exclaims. ‘Mine!’

Silver and Alba dodge Del as she scrambles out the door.

Del and Alba clean their classroom after school. The sisters take the garbage out to the bins. When they return, Starlight is waiting for them.

‘There are my little sisters!’ the young man greets. ‘Ready for our meeting, Del?’

Del wipes her hands on her skirt. ‘Sure. Just give me a moment.’

‘Righto!’ Starlight looks at Alba. ‘Feel free to take the rest of the day off, too.’

‘Thanks, big bro.’

Alba goes into the classroom to get her stuff.

Alba sits by a lake near the outskirts of town. She sighs and skips stones across the surface. She moans and rests her head on her knees. There is a flash beside her. She screams and falls back, failing to scramble to her feet. A man is heard laughing. Alba grumbles as a hand is offered.

‘Sorry about that,’ a young man with dark blue hair says. ‘I saw a pretty lady and just had to take her picture.’

Alba growls and bats away the hand. She gasps and pulls her dress over her knees. ‘You didn’t see anything. Got it?’

‘The thought never crossed my mind.’ He watches Alba stand and brush herself off. ‘Are you okay?’

‘I’m fine.’

‘Are you sure? You looked upset about something.’ He holds up his camera. ‘I mean, I hate to see your beautiful face ruined with a frown, but that was the only expression I saw.’

‘You were watching me! Gah! What a pervert!’ She turns away. ‘You’re worse than that one guard back home. Unfortunately, I can’t assign you to an embassy in a dodgy land.’ She looks at the man. ‘Your name isn’t “Camera Flash” or anything “Flash” related, is it?’

The man laughs. ‘Far from it.’ He offers a hand in friendship. ‘Shady Daze, at your service. I’m an independent photojournalist.’

‘And taking a photo of my knickers is considered journalism? Sheesh. That is worse than what happened to my father.’

‘This is the only picture I have of you!’ Shady shows his camera again. ‘I swear it!’

Alba glares at the young man. ‘Then what were you doing out here?’

‘I was just out and about. Then I saw this beautiful woman. I thought I would take her picture and use it as an icebreaker so I could ask her out.’

‘I hope she turns you down.’

‘I haven’t asked her yet.’ He smiles at Alba. ‘So, are you doing anything later?’

Alba turns red, half from embarrassment, half from anger. ‘What?’ she replies plainly.

‘You’re the beautiful woman I want to court.’

‘Do you know who I am?’

‘Can I find out over dinner?’

Alba takes a deep breath and smirks. ‘I am Alba Sparkle. I am one of the refugees from the other world. I’m a former princess, daughter of Queen Luna by birth and Princess Sparkle welcomed me into her house as a heir. And you think you can just ask me out on a date?’

‘Pick you up at seven?’

A crafty smile spreads across Alba’s face. She picks up a rock. She holds it so Shady can see it. ‘This rock is pretty unique-looking, right?’

‘I guess so.’ He takes a picture of it and checks the photo. ‘It has some interesting angles in the right light. Maybe some unique lines.’

Alba tosses the rock in her hand. ‘Today is Tuesday.’ She chucks the rock as hard as she can. It disappears over the horizon. ‘I work at the the schoolhouse. Bring that rock to me there by five o’clock Friday, and I’ll go out with you.’

Shady smiles, salutes and runs in the direction of the rock. Alba laughs and shakes her head.

A few days later. Alba, sitting in her classroom, taps her foot as she watches the clock. Del watches her sister and frowns.

‘He’s probably not coming again,’ Del states.

‘I didn’t throw it that hard... He should have found it by now...’

‘Alba, he probably gave up.’

‘No!’ Alba shouts. ‘He would have come back by now if he did!’

‘Alba, calm d-’

There is a knock at the door. Alba leaps up to answer. Shady smiles when the door opens. He instantly collapses on the floor. Alba screams and checks him. Shady is covered in cuts and bruises. There is a slash on his arm.

‘You stay with him,’ Del says, stepping over them. ‘I’ll get Redheart.’

Alba nods and gets the first aid kit. Shady looks up as she treat his wounds. He smiles before fainting again. Alba laughs. She treats his arm but notices his fist is clenched. She forces his hand open and smiles. She puts the rock in a pocket and resumes to healing him.

Shady wakes up in the hospital. Redheart is checking on him.

‘And what made you think wrestling a bear was a good idea?’ the nurse comments as she wraps his arm in a clean bandage.

The young man laughs. ‘Well, uh...’

Redheart laughs and smiles. ‘She wants you to know that she’ll be waiting as soon as you are cleared to leave.’ She ties off the bandage. ‘If you can walk, I suggest wearing long sleeves to hide the bandages.’

Alba holds Shady’s arm as they follow the waiter to their table. The extra stability keeps the young man from falling over. He makes her let go when he insists on getting the chair for his date. Alba laughs and lets him help her.

‘I can’t believe you found that rock again.’

‘I had love to guide me,’ Shady replies. ‘I didn’t want to fail your test. I figure a princess should have high expectations.’

Alba smiles and shakes her head. ‘It was just a silly game. I never expected you to actually do it. I would have gone out with you if you had just shown up the next day.’

‘That would have been cheating! You’re a princess. You deserve to be treated special.’

‘Was. Was a princess.’ Alba shakes her head. ‘Anyway. I got you a little gift to celebrate.’

Alba slides a small box across the table. Shady opens it to reveal the rock inside a pendant. He smiles and puts it on.

‘This is great! Do you treat all your dates this well?’

Alba frowns and looks away. ‘Actually, this is my first date. Ever.’

Shady gasps. ‘No way! I would have thought someone as beautiful and perfect as you would have a million suiters.’

‘Surprisingly, even a princess can’t get a date if the guys find her intimidating. Nobody ever had the courage to ask me out before.’

Shady hits the table. ‘Then it is resolved.’

‘Huh?’

‘First, I get a date with the most wonderful princess to ever grace our land. Then, she gives me the greatest gift imaginable. Now, I find out I am her first date ever. Before, I was going to make this night perfect for you. I am even more determined than ever to make it happen now.’

Alba laughs and smiles at her date.

Shady escorts Alba home. The former princess is in high spirits after having a wonderful night.

‘Tonight really was perfect,’ Alba coos.

‘Anything for you, Alba.’

She laughs. ‘Finally calling me by my name.’

‘You made me stop calling you “Princess”, remember?’

‘You’re just so silly.’

They stop outside her door.

‘Thank you again,’ Alba says.

‘Naturally. It was my pleasure.’

The woman looks away. ‘Um, seeing how I have never done this before... I hope I am okay.’

‘Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be perfect.’

Alba leans up and kisses Shady. She blushes when they break.

‘That was amazing,’ the young man praises.

‘Th-thanks. I’m sure it will be better on our next date.’

Shady’s smile grows. ‘I’ll call you.’

‘I can’t wait!’

Shady laughs and waves as he returns home. Alba giggles and goes inside. Del and Silver are on the other side of the door. They are holding hands and staring at each other.

Del looks away. ‘Um, seeing how I have never done this before... I hope I am okay.’

‘Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be perfect.’

The older women lean in and fake a sloppy kiss.

‘That was amazing,’ Silver praises.

‘Th-thanks. I’m sure it will be better on our next date.’

Alba growls and storms to her room. ‘You two are asses!’

Del and Silver laugh.


Featherweight stares at the story in front of him.

‘Did you like it?’ Alba asks. ‘I hope my first time wasn’t too bad.’

The pegasus takes a deep breath. ‘Well, it could use some work here and there. Maybe expanding the rock story or more interaction on the date but otherwise, it is pretty enjoyable.’

‘Thanks!’ Alba cheers. ‘I’ll get it touched up and edited right away.’ She squeals as she prances from his apartment. ‘I can’t wait to share this!’

Featherweight waves as she leaves. He sits back and hangs his head. ‘Great. With stories like those, she is going to be more popular than me in no time!’

Author's Note:

Alba Timeline: Begins dating Shady.

Character Note: For those that don't remember Shady, he was one of the members of the Foal Free Press. He worked as the printer until Diamond was fired. He was then made reporter and later seen doing just that in Babs Seed.

Also, Alba finally realizes somepony likes her. Probably because Shady was pretty blatant about it whereas Shaun never spat it out. It is also good seeing her loosen up and behave more like a regular pony.

PreviousChapters Next