• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Shining Silver

Main Characters: Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, Starlight
Cameos: None
Original Start Date: July 1, 2013 (Happy Canadia Day!)


Silver Spoon stares at the ceiling and collects herself, sighing. The young mare, just awakened, reflects on her life up to this point.

After a horrible public breakup with her coltfriend Rumble, Silver Spoon wanted to get away from Ponyville. She moved to Trottingham to live with her father and got a job working at a hotel. They lived together splendidly until one day when her father mysteriously disappeared. Silver searched frantically for him, but found no trace of him aside from a cryptic letter and a key. She continued living in her father’s old apartment and working at her job as she tried saving enough money to move on. It has been over a year, and she is still stuck in Trottingham with no future to look forward to.

Silver wipes the tears from her eyes and gets up to get ready for work.

Silver Spoon carries a tray of food as she works the room at a reception. The hotel is hosting a conference for a number of business ponies. The young mare quietly laments that she is serving the attendees and not a guest at the party. She keeps silent as she tends to the guests. Her tray is cleared, and she takes a moment to rest her hooves.

‘Silver Spoon?’

The silver mare tenses up, afraid her boss has caught her.

‘It is you!’

Silver is caught in a hug from behind. When she is released, she turns to see Diamond Tiara.

‘It has been forever,’ the pink pony says. ‘It is great seeing you.’

‘Oh. Hey, Diamond. What are you doing here?’

Diamond rolls her eyes. ‘I’m supposed to be networking, but most of these old ponies are just here to drink and trade secrets. Real boring until I saw you. I didn’t know you were here for the conference.’

Silver Spoon adjusts her glasses. ‘Well, uh, that is sort of true.’

‘We have to catch up over dinner.’

‘That sounds...’

‘Miss Spoon!’

The mares turn to see an angry unicorn standing behind them. Silver sighs and picks up her tray. The unicorn glares at her as she stands. Diamond looks at the other ponies, confused.

‘This little break is coming out of your pay,’ the unicorn snorts.

‘I’m sorry,’ Silver mumbles.

‘You better be.’ Silver’s manager turns to Diamond. ‘I am so sorry she disturbed you.’

Diamond frowns. ‘She wasn’t disturbing me. I was the one talking with her.’

‘No, no. You don’t have to cover for her. She is always disturbing the guests.’

‘Get this through your skull,’ Diamond growls. ‘I was the one that started talking to her. She is my friend.’

The manager huffs and turns to Silver. ‘Look what you have done. You’ve made her hysterical. You’re really in for it now.’

‘Listen, you!’ Diamond snaps. ‘I am just here for the conference. I only got a room at this place for the convenience. The way you are treating your employee, my friend, is disgraceful! I am changing my reservation to one of your competitors.’

Diamond turns her nose up and trots away.

‘Thanks,’ the unicorn snarls at Silver. ‘You cost us a customer. What do you have to say about that?’

‘Sorry, sir.’

‘This is definitely coming out of your pay. I’m going to have to put you on report.’

Diamond glowers, hearing the conversation behind her. She storms away, forcing her way through the other guests.

Diamond and Silver sit at dinner together. They are waiting for their meal to arrive. Silver has cleaned up after work and changed out of her uniform, but she still looks depressed. Diamond has her mobile to her ear.

‘Are you deaf or just stupid!’ the young mare screams. ‘I am trying to tell you that it was your stupid manager who was causing the trouble! The employee wasn’t doing everything! ARG! Is she the only one of you with any brains!’ She angrily ends the call, takes a breath and smiles at her friend. ‘Sorry for that. I know I am only causing you more trouble.’

Silver sighs. ‘It is okay. That place is just horrible. I really should find someplace better to work...’

‘Why are you working there anyway? You are much better than that. You should be running a place like that.’

‘I’m there because I have nowhere left to go.’ Silver looks at her friend and frowns. ‘It has been bad, really bad, since I left home.’

Diamond reaches out to her friend. ‘Do you want to talk about it?’

Diamond and Silver sit in Diamond’s new hotel room after dinner. Silver has a letter and a key out.

‘So those are all he left you?’ Diamond asks.

Silver nods. ‘Just this letter and key. He didn’t leave me anything else. I’ve had to support myself this whole time.’

‘At least you have the skills to survive on your own. I just started living in my own place.’ Diamond gasps then squeals. ‘You should move in with me! That would be so awesome!’

‘Thanks, but I want to find out what happened to my dad. Maybe once I find him...’

‘Is that all?’

‘Diamond! I have been looking for him for over a year! If it was something I could just throw money at, I would beg my mother to help me!’

‘If you don’t want money, how about a little magic? I know a pony who is pretty clever and might be able to help.’

‘At this point, I’ll take anything. Who is it? Dinky? Sweetie Belle? Ruby?’

‘Well... You remember that really weird pony who married Princess Twilight Sparkle?’

‘Mr Wanderer? Of course I remember him. Rei and I were pretty close, even if I lost touch with her.’

‘Well, apparently Wanderer and Sparkle made a kid. He is just as weird as his father, but he makes up for with an incredible body.’

Silver blushes. ‘Oh.’

‘I’ll call him in the morning. Knowing him, he’ll run us ragged.’

‘No!’ Silver grabs her friend. ‘Call him now! Anything to get out of here sooner!’

‘Fine!’ Diamond moans. She gets out her mobile. ‘Hello? Starlight? Do you have a moment?’

Silver fidgets as her friend explains the situation to Starlight. There is a bright blue flash as the unicorn teleports into the room.

‘Somepony call for a Mary Sue?’ Starlight declares.

Diamond rolls her eyes. ‘Show off.’

Starlight scans the room. He smiles at Silver. ‘You must be the lovely Silver Spoon who Diamond mentioned. How may I be of service to you?’

Silver blushes as she takes in the handsome stallion. ‘Well, uh, my father disappeared. I’ve been trying to find any clue to what happened to him.’

‘There was mention of a letter.’

‘Right! Here.’

Starlight levitates the letter from Silver. ‘To my darling Spoony. It saddens me to do this, but I must leave you. I have gotten myself in trouble, and I don’t want you to get hurt because of my stupidity. This key will lead you to a brighter future. Love, daddy.’ He lowers the letter. ‘Spoony?’

Silver turns redder. ‘It was a nickname he had for me.’

‘It is cute.’ Starlight sniffs the letter. ‘Do you have the key on you?’

‘Right here. I never part with it.’

‘Good. Good.’ The unicorn licks the paper. ‘First Bank of Trottingham, North Celestia Street branch.’ He grimaces. ‘Got any water?’ Before anypony can answer, he levitates a bottle from a mini-fridge.

‘You’re paying for that,’ Diamond snorts.

‘A bank... Does that mean this is a safety deposit key?’

‘Most likely.’ Starlight replies. ‘We’ll have to check it out in the morning.’

‘This is the closest I’ve ever been. I can wait a little longer.’

‘Excellent!’ The unicorn looks around. ‘Where am I sleeping?’

‘I think we can handle it from here,’ Diamond replies.

‘Oh, no. This smells like adventure and tastes like low-quality ink on moderate paper stock. I want to see this to the end.’

Silver smiles and extends a hoof. ‘Thank you for your help, Mister...’

Starlight takes the hoof and kisses it. ‘Starlight Clarke Sparkle at your service.’

The grey pony turns completely red. Diamond rolls her eyes and climbs on her bed.

‘If you plan on staying,’ the pink pony says, ‘you’re sleeping on the floor.’

In the morning, Starlight teleports the mares to a bank. Silver looks around to get her bearings. Diamond holds a slip of paper.

‘You owe me for all this room service too,’ the young mare snorts.

‘Worth every penny,’ Starlight replies, licking his hoofs.

They follow Silver as she enters the bank. She goes straight to a teller.

‘How may I help you?’

Silver holds up her key. ‘I was given this key and believe it goes to a deposit box here.’

‘It does look like one of ours... Can you give us the name on the account?’

‘It was from my father, so Steel Forge.’

The teller starts looking up the bank’s records.

‘You never told me your father’s name,’ Diamond comments.

‘It, uh, never came up.’

‘It is sexy. I would have liked to have met your father.’

Silver smiles. ‘You would have liked him.’

The teller interrupts. ‘There is a second name on the deposit rental under Mr Forge’s name. Can I see some ID?’ Silver shows the teller her ID. ‘Looks like everything is in order. Come with me.’

‘Can you bring the box here? These are my friends, and I want them with me.’

‘Very well.’

The teller leaves to get the deposit box. Silver takes a breath to calm herself. Starlight looks around the bank. The teller returns with a small deposit box. Silver hastily opens it and frowns.

‘What is it?’ Diamond asks.

‘It is a key card for my hotel,’ Silver sighs.

‘You own a hotel?’ Starlight asks.

Silver shakes her head. ‘No, I just work at one.’

‘Dang. A pretty, smart mare like you should run one. It is only right.’

‘Th-thank you.’

Diamond looks at the card. ‘Maybe there is something in the room.’

‘I doubt it. The floor the room is on has been under renovation for a long time.’

‘Sounds like a good place to hide something if you ask me.’

‘The card might not even work. They reset the cards after the occupant checks out.’

‘Never hurts to check.’

Silver shakes her head. ‘It is hopeless. I am back to square one. I should just quit now and go crawling back to my mother.’

‘No!’ Starlight declares. ‘We will see this to the end. We’re going to the hotel and checking the room.’

‘But...’

‘No arguing. This is for your sake. You have been searching for too long. Just because the clue seems like a long shot, doesn’t mean it won’t pay off. We will find out what happened to your father. I promise you that on my honor as a Sparkle!’

Silver looks up at the determined unicorn. She smiles and nods. ‘Thank you, Mr Starlight. Thank you, Diamond. Let’s do this.’

Starlight smiles, charges a spell and teleports them away.

The teller stares in shock. ‘Boss! I thought we had an anti-teleportation shield!’

The group materializes outside of the hotel. Silver marches forward, determined. Her friends follow as the young mare goes straight through the crowded lobby to the concierge.

‘Excuse me. Can you check on a room for me?’

‘Miss Silver Spoon!’

Silver shudders as her manager storms over.

‘You’re late,’ the unicorn snaps. ‘You’re not even in uniform. After yesterday’s incident, you are on thin ice. You better make a good impression today or you’ll lose your job.’

‘Lose my job?’ Silver scoffs. ‘You can take this crappy job and shove it up your plot!’

‘Excuse me?!’

‘You heard me! You treat your employees like crap and don’t do any work yourself. You harass the mares. You let the owner’s kids do whatever they want.’ She glares. ‘I know on more than one occasion you have covered up thefts and made charges to guests’ accounts. Don’t even get me started on the suites you rent out for sex parties.’ She snorts and turns away. ‘Or what you allow the younger employees to do to guests’ food.’

Silver holds her head up as she stomps to the elevators. The manager gapes in horror as all the guests swarm him with questions. More guests mob the concierge, many demanding refunds. Starlight and Diamond take advantage of the confusion to join their friend. Silver collects herself and huffs as she waits for the elevator.

‘Great show!’ Diamond compliments.

‘Sorry for that,’ Silver replies. ‘I don’t know what came over me.’

‘You became your old, strong self again. That’s what happened.’

‘I’ve never been strong before... I just lost my temper. That is all...’

‘You’re just letting your true self free.’ Diamond hugs her friend. ‘That’s the Silver we love.’

The group enters the elevator.

‘Thanks for being here for me,’ Silver confides. ‘I don’t think I could have done it without you.’

‘I hope you got your last paycheque already, because somepony might have leaked your outburst to the press.’

Silver frowns and snorts. ‘Serves them right.’

‘Um, Silver... As somepony who actually ate the food served here...’ Diamond worries.

‘They only spit in it, left mane clippings or other tame things like that. I made a point of never serving those trays at functions or leaving notes for guests if was room service.’

‘Oh, thank Celestia,’ Diamond breathes. ‘I felt a lawsuit coming on.’

Silver smiles. ‘I think my mom would be willing to help you with that.’

There is a flash. Starlight lowers his mobile. ‘There’s that cute, genuine smile.’

Silver blushes. ‘So, uh, Mr Starlight...’

‘Just Starlight, and before you ask, I am dating Apple Bloom.’

‘Oh... She’s a lucky mare.’

The elevator ride ends. Silver leads the group down the hall. She keeps checking the key card for the right room. She stops outside of a room, takes a breath and tests the key card. The door opens.

The room is empty. Nothing seems out of order. The bed is made. The bins are empty. The drapes are open. The ponies start looking for any clue they can find. Diamond checks the bed. Starlight looks around the television. Silver looks around a desk and table. All she finds is a pack of cigarettes.

‘Found a USB drive,’ Starlight reports.

‘I’ll take that,’ a new voice says.

Silver’s group looks towards the door. A pegasus flanked by two beefy earth ponies stand in the way. All three are well-dressed.

‘What do you want with my father’s drive?’ Silver asks.

‘Actually, it is ours,’ the pegasus says. ‘Your father stole that from us. It is very important.’

‘Who are you?’

‘We’re very friendly ponies.’

‘And you really think we would give this to you?’

The pegasus looks behind the group. ‘It is a pretty long drop.’

‘Not unless you teleport,’ Starlight says. ‘It is pretty short if you teleport.’

‘You can tele-?’

The ‘very friendly ponies’ are teleported out of the room. Starlight smirks.

‘My father was mixed up with the mob...’ Silver gasps.

‘I’d read his note first.’

‘Note? What note?’

‘The one in the box.’

‘What?’ Silver opens the pack of cigarette box. A SD card and piece of paper falls out. She picks up the paper. ‘Spoony. This disk is an insurance policy if the ponies who are after me come after you. It has all the information needed to bring them down. Please forgive me, but I can never see you again. I have gotten in too deep to get you. I hope the safety net I left you will help you out. 93750269286501.’

‘Numbers?’ Diamond wonders. ‘A code?’

‘A bank account,’ Silver replies. ‘You should know that.’

‘That just seemed too obvious.’

‘So, what now?’ Silver sighs. ‘It doesn’t seem like I’ll be finding my dad, but now I have the mob to worry about.’

‘No, you don’t.’ Starlight smirks. ‘You never asked where I sent them. I put them and the USB drive in a local jail. You should be safe.’

‘I’m... safe?’ The young mare smiles. ‘That... feels good.’

‘There’s that smile again.’

‘Suits you well,’ Diamond adds. ‘So, how much money do you think he left you? I would be happy to manage your finances for you. Free of charge, of course.’

‘Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Let me see how much he left me and get my head clear first.’ She puts a foreleg around her friend. ‘Then you can treat me to lunch to celebrate.’

Silver waits as another teller looks up the account. Diamond waits beside her friend. Starlight levitates several pens and pads and doodles. The teller finishes typing.

‘We do have an account with the number and under “Steel Forge”. Are you Silver Spoon?’

‘Y-yes.’ Silver gets out her ID. ‘Is something wrong?’

‘The account is a joint account in his and your name. Do you know the account password?’

Silver thinks for a moment and smiles. ‘Spoony. The password is “Spoony”.’

The teller enters the password and nods. ‘Congratulations, Miss Spoon. The account is yours. Want me to start the paperwork to get you a cheque book and charge card?’

‘Um, sure. How much is in the account?’

‘A little over two hundred thousand bits.’

Silver’s and Diamond’s jaws drop. Diamond looks at her friend. ‘You’re paying for lunch.’

The three ponies ride the train out of Trottingham. Silver sits next to a small box of belongings and rests her head against a window. Her newly purchased mobile sits in her hooves. Diamond relaxes beside her friend, typing out texts. Starlight watched the scenery pass.

‘Everypony is going to be so glad to see you again,’ Diamond says. ‘Pinkie want to have a “welcome home” party for you right away. Rei is going to be so excited. It will be so great to have you back!’

Silver nods as she drifts into slumber. Her mobile beeps as a new message is received. A thousand bits is deposited in her bank account.

Author's Note:

Story Timeline: Silver Spoon returns to Ponyville.

PreviousChapters Next