• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,338 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,338

PreviousChapters Next
Sparkles: Most Wanted

Main Characters: Night Light, Starlight, Del, Alba
Cameos: Twilight Sparkle, James, Celestia, Luna, Orion, Artemis, Athena, Pallas, Velvet
Original Start Date: October 1, 2015


Starlight happily bounds down the ramp of an airship. Alba, Night Light, and Del in her pegasus disguise trot off after him. Herds of deer secure and unload the vessel, escort passengers, and perform other tasks around the airfield. When some of the deer see the group, they give the ponies a dirty look.

“I hate leaving Equestria,” Del growls, her fangs showing under her disguise.

“I used to have to travel constantly. It gets boring with time,” Night Light assures.

“I found snacks!” Starlight calls from the distant terminal.

Alba looks around, frowning. “Last time I was in Deerope, they treated me like a princess. Now, nothing.”

“Were you a princess last time you were in Deerope?” her sister asks.

Alba stares blankly. “I don't see what that has to do with anything.”

“Come on, girls,” their grandfather sighs. “You were invited here by Queen Artemis herself. Just because they aren't rolling out the red carpet doesn't mean they don't like you.”

Del eyes a deer warily. “Then how come we're getting the stink eye worse than I get in more conservative parts of home?”

“It is probably my fault,” Night Light states.

“Why is that?” Alba asks.

“They know what they did!”

Starlight hops back to his family. He is wearing fake antlers. “I found a souvenir shop with these cool hats!” He puts a set of antlers on Alba. “I got some for all of us! Isn't this great!”

His sisters and grandfather grumble.

Several days ago, a series of letters arrived inviting Starlight, Del, and Alba to Deerope to receive awards for exemplifying diversity and expanding interspecies harmony. Suspicious of the deer's intention, Night Light volunteered to travel with his grandchildren, under the pretense that he was representing the Equestria teacher's union, in order to keep an eye on them. With their grandfather in tow, the trio of siblings traveled to Deerope, Del in disguise due to deer being wary of changelings, looking forward to the accolades they were due to receive.

A pair of deer guards escort the ponies to a conference room. They give Night Light a dirty look, but lighten up when Starlight gives them a gift from the random treats he's been picking up. After the guards leave, the ponies take seats around the table. Del drops her disguise and stretches. Starlight finds a chair that can rotate and starts spinning around. Alba and her grandfather check out the room's decorations.

“Really nice art,” Alba comments, admiring a painting. “We don't get scenes like this in Equestria.”

“Mm, hm,” Night Light replies, lifting the painting from the wall.

“What are you doing?”

“Checking for bugs.”

The younger unicorn snorts. “We're honored guests. Like they would do such a thing.”

Night Light laughs derisively. “Like you've never been in a situation before where you were a honored guest and your host tried doing something to harm you.”

Alba opens her mouth to argue then joins in looking for bugs. They hastily stop their search when the doors open again. Del quickly raises her disguise again. Prince Orion trots in with a couple guards.

“Welcome,” the prince greets. “I hope you all have been enjoying the capital so far.”

Night Light slams a hoof on the table. “Take that back, you fiend!”

Orion glares at the older unicorn. “I see time doesn't really heal all wounds...”

“Is your great uncle still alive?”

“No, he passed several years ago.”

“Then I guess time is doing a pretty dang good job so far.”

Orion seethes under the surface, but turns back to the other ponies. “Ramblings of a senile old pony aside, the Queendom of Deerope welcomes you, honored educators.”

Starlight stops spinning, but he still wobbles a bit. “Thank you, Princes Orion. Can one of you three point me to a bucket?”

The prince laughs. “Oh, Mr. Starlight. Your humor precedes you.”

“Thanks. I get it from my dad. Just like my magic ability and these kicking wings.”

Orion bites his tongue as he turns to his next guest. “Miss Del, there is no need for your disguise here. It is safe.”

Del frowns and watches the deer suspiciously. “Given your country's reputation with my kind, I doubt that.”

“Please.” Orion smiles. “You can trust me.”

“If your guards try anything funny...” the changeling warns, slowly dropping her spell.

The deer guards tense, but Orion gives a quick head shake, and they ease up.

“And last, you must be Miss Alba. It is a pleasure,” the prince greets.

Alba slams a hoof on the table. “Take that back, you fiend!”

Orion is surprised. “I didn't know we were at odds too.”

The unicorn shakes her head. “Sorry. No. Force of habit. In my world, you were a close ally of Emperor Mordred and heavily opposed the action which saved thousands from certain doom.”

“I assure you that he and I are nothing alike,” the deer replies, smiling craftily.

Alba glances at her grandfather, who is watching the deer intently. She snorts unhappily but says nothing.

Orion takes a seat and claps his hooves. “Wonderful. Now that introductions are through, we can discuss why you are here and what happens next.”

Starlight slams a hoof on the table. “Take that back, you fiend!” He snorts angrily. “I believe we were promised refreshments.”

“Of course! We have a wide array of traditional Deeropean delicacies prepared.” He waves to the guards. “Bring them in.”

Orion sits back and waits as servers bring in trays of fruits and snacks from around Deerope. Del immediately drops her suspicions and digs into a plate of sweets and cakes before her. Large steins of fresh fruit juice are placed before each of the guests. Night Light sniffs his carefully before taking a sip.

“Hmm. Tastes like sleeping medicine from the Savannah lands,” the unicorn notes. “One of the eastern tribes?”

One by one, each of the younger ponies pass out, Del landing in a pile of tarts.

“Yep. Definitely sleeping medicine.”

The older unicorn tries standing to fight, but his legs gives out and he collapses to the floor.

Orion sniffs the drink in front of him. “How did he know exactly where it was from?”

The unicorns and changeling awake still in the conference room. The food has been replaced with several armed guards. Magic-cancelling rings have been fitted around the ponies' horns, weakening them. Night Light, Del, and Alba do not fight back as they wake. One of the guards shoves Starlight.

“No school today, AB,” the stallion moans. “I feel like I'm gonna be sick.”

“What did you do to my brother?” Alba snarls.

“The same thing we did to you,” Orion replies.

“That's just the ring talking,” Night Light explains. “He's so used to having his magic, it has made him delirious. Happens to every powerful unicorn the first time they are cut off. You get used to it.”

“I'm a powerful unicorn too,” his granddaughter replies.

“Like I said. You get used to it.” He sneers at Orion. “He knows why I'm used to it.”

“I was barely a hart at the time of your last visit,” the deer scoffs, “but I heard enough stories to be prepared.”

“What do you want with us?” Night Light demands. “You know Twilight is not going to stand for taking us hostage.”

“We're counting on that,” Orion retorts. “She'll give anything for your safety, and we have a long list of political demands.” He swats Del's horn. “The least of which is your changeling problem.”

Del hisses and bares her fangs. Guards raise their weapons at the changeling.

Alba snorts. “It really shows how weak your position is if you have to capture a bunch of innocents just because we have famous parents.”

“Innocents? I think not,” Orion counters. “We have a long list of crimes against all of you.”

“Even the peanut butter?” Starlight asks.

“Especially the peanut butter!” Orion pauses after realizing what he just said. “I really hope that is the ring talking and not your father's influence... ”

The rest of the family shrugs, unsure of the answer themselves.

Orion collects himself. “I assume you wish to hear the charges against you?”

“Naturally,” Night Light replies, “but you know what they say about assuming. It makes an ass out of you...”

“And me. Yes, yes,” the prince grumbles as he organizes some papers.

Night Light smirks mischievously. Orion's guards facehoof at the obvious trap their ruler walked into.

Orion trots in front of the captives. He stops before Alba. “Starting with Miss 'I'm innocent' herself...”

“Bring it.”

“Consider it brought.” Orion flips through his notes. “My counterpart from your world was kind enough to send the truth about your history of interfering with other nations. You cavorted with Discord, conspired with changelings, started riots in the Crystal Empire, led a 'raging she-demon' in an attack against a Griffin ship, organized a coup against another government, killed the head of state of another nation, sent spies to infiltrate another universe, and, as the one who organized the 'migration' from your world, you personally choose who would cross to this world, thus allowing you to spread your dastardly tentacles deep into this dimension! You are a terrorist of the highest order!”

Night Light smiles at his granddaughter. “If I wasn't risking getting stabbed, I'd hug you right now.”

Alba sits stunned. “Wow. When you list them like that, I do sound pretty bad, but I can explain.”

“No explanations!” Orion shouts.

“Ten thousand years dungeon!” Starlight adds.

The enraged deer smacks the stallion. “You facilitated that criminal and coddled” -- he snarls at Del -- “that beast. You are an ally to terrorists and monsters.”

“You say that like it is a bad thing.”

Orion hits the stallion again and turns to Night Light.

The old unicorn smirks. “You know what you did to want to watch me suffer.”

“Indeed.” Orion returns to his seat to collect himself.

“Not going to accuse me of anything?” Del taunts.

“You are a monster. You should have been put down before you ever got here.”

“And the only love I detect on you comes with a twenty bit down payment.”

The guards snicker as Orion stews.

“Imaginary air high hoof,” Night Light calls to his granddaughter.

“Enough of this chatter!” Orion yells. “You're going to be taken away until your trial for your crimes, except for the monster. Its death will come soon enough. Hope your Princess Twilight bargains for your freedom sooner than we expect. Her idiotic notions of friendship will help us restore the natural order.”

Orion turns to leave and more guards arrive to escort the prisoners. The prince stops when he hears Night Light clucking his tongue.

“What is it now?”

“You have some very serious flaws in your plan,” the unicorn states. “First, you brought my family into this. Second, you brought my family into this! Third...” He starts chuckling.

The deer look confused.

“Just spit it out!”

“Third, you put me... in a room... with you and all of these weapons.”

“Ugh. He's old. Just bleed him a bit and he'll shut up.”

Before the prince can leave and guards can advance, Night Light slides back, gets his hind legs under the table and kicks. The conference table flips onto Orion and the guards around him. The guards nearest to Night Light try grabbing him, but he rolls out of the way. He stands, grabs his chair and swings it at the nearest deer, catching him in the antlers. Using the momentum from the swing, Night Light sends the guard tumbling into his allies.

The remaining deer drop their guard to help secure Night Light. Alba takes the chance to trip the guards around her. Del lunges forward, snapping her fangs, and catches a passing guard by the antler. She throws him into a wall and spits out the prong that broke off. Starlight slumps on the ground, too drained to do anything.

“Get them!” Orion shouts, trying to get from under the table and to his hooves.

Night Light rams himself into the table, knocking over everydeer struggling to get up. He reaches over the makeshift barricade and drags the prince to the other side. He picks up one of the guards' dropped weapons and holds a spear to Orion's throat. “And finally, if taking us hostage was your plan, you should have killed me when you had the chance.” The older unicorn laughs. “Funny. You were planning on bargaining with us. Now, you're the one up for auction.”

“You're not going to escape. We'll never let you out of here alive,” Orion threatens.

“Is that a fact or are you continuing your speech from earlier?”

Orion looks at his guards. “Don't worry about me! Get them!”

“I don't think that will happen.”

“Why not?”

“Because this country isn't a smoking crater.” Night Light looks to his side. “Alba, be a dear, well, not a deer, but you know what I mean, and get my ring for me. And Del, help your brother. He needs it.”

Del lifts Starlight onto her back. Alba keeps an eye on the deer as she trots behind her grandfather. She carefully hooks her horn under the ring around his and lifts it free from his horn.

Night Light breathes in sharply. “That's much better.” He powers up all the magic flowing back into him. “Welp! See ya!”

Night Light shoves Orion forward and smacks the deer in the back of the head with the blunt end of his spear. The unicorn casts a hasty teleportation spell on him and his family. They reappear in an alley down the street. Night Light wobbles for a bit before falling to his knees. Alba helps him back up.

Night Light shakes off his exhaustion as best he can. “And now, we run.”

After following their grandfather through the streets and back alleys of the city, the Sparkle family rests behind a shop. They carefully remove the magic-cancelling rings from their horns. Night Light holds on to them, just in case. Del immediately tries disguising herself, but her magic is not strong enough yet. Starlight curls in a ball and groans as he comes out of his stupor. Alba and Night Light survey their surroundings.

“Feels like I was drained by a changeling,” Starlight moans. Del kicks him lightly. “Well, it does.”

Night Light starts going through the bins behind the store. “Should be around... Aha!” He digs a couple of garbage bags from a bin that is scuffed near one of the bottom corners. “This is perfect.”

Alba grimaces. “Like last time this happened, we are NEVER telling Helios I had to dig through garbage.”

“It is not garbage. It is a drop point,” her grandfather says, opening the bags. “Before I passed out, I hit a panic button and all of the Equestrian operatives in the area prepared for our escape.” He removes some clothes from the bags. “We just have to make it to the nearest safehouse and wait until we have enough magic to teleport far away from here.” He puts on a robe and fake antlers. “It is all quite routine really.” He tosses one of the bags to Del. “This is for you until you can disguise yourself normally again.”

The changeling grumbles as she digs through the bag. “Not only do I have to hide myself with magic, but now I have to do it with costumes too.” She looks at the unfamiliar garment she pulls out of the bag. “What is this anyway?”

“Um, because you're taller and lankier than us, you have to go as an okapi. And if anypony asks, you look that way because of birth defects.”

Del growls and looks ready to shred her new pale grey robe and sashes.

“Stuck in a foreign country,” Starlight moans. “No magic. Everydeer out to get us. This is the worst day ever!”

Alba places a pair of fake antlers on her brother's head when she drops off his disguise.

“This is the best day ever!” the stallion declares, playing with his new toy.

“To be young and stupid again...” Night Light reminisces. He pauses. “Actually, I rather not think about who I did when I was young and stupid.”

“Don't you mean 'what'?” Alba asks.

“I know what I said.” He checks around a corner. “Either the patrols passed us or they haven't gotten this far yet. Time to get moving. Once we get to the safehouse, we can plan what to do next.” He thinks. “I believe the proper grandparent thing to do would be to take you to Whinny World to make up for this mess.”

“Whinny World!” Starlight cheers. “This day just gets better and better!”

“I'm beginning to miss the Shaun of my world now...” Alba sighs.

Del holds a hoof to her temple. “I knew you would say that.”

Her younger sister groans and follows their grandfather as he leads them down the street.

Twilight Sparkle storms through Canterlot castle. The guards get out of the way of the infuriated princess. Her anger overflows into her magic causing her coat to darken, horn to elongate and twist, wings to expand and appear crooked, and halos of magic to appear around her eyes. She kicks open a door before the guards can open it for her and marches in.

“Where are my kids?” the princess demands.

Celestia, Luna, and Shining Armor look up from a map of Deerope.

“Thank you for joining us, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna greets. “As you can see, we are looking into the situation.”

Twilight trots to the map. “I say we start looking here” -- she stamps on the border between Deerope and Prance -- “and go this way” -- she points towards the other end of the country -- “in a scorched earth campaign until we find them! No survivors!”

The other princesses take a step back from their upset friend.

“Twily, we're doing all we can,” Shining Armor assures.

“Don't 'Twily, we're doing all we can' me!” his sister shouts. “It is not your kid who is missing in a foreign country after an alarm was sounded about their imminent capture!”

“And it was our dad who sounded the alarm, so we know they are safe with them. We were prepared in case this happened.”

“We shouldn't have to have been prepared! Now, dad and my kids are in trouble! And if you tell me to 'calm down', I'm going to become an only child!”

“Don't worry, Twilight. Everything is going to be fine,” a new voice says behind the crazed mare.

Twilight looks back briefly before her husband catches her in a gentle hug. The princess sighs and cuddles James, the dark energy surrounding her dissipating. Everypony else in the room comes out of hiding once Twilight is relaxed.

“Are you sure they are fine?” Twilight asks James.

“Of course! Otherwise, we would have saved them by now, and that continent would be hurtling through space.”

“Only if I didn't vaporize it first.”

James nods and kisses his wife on the nose. “Naturally.”

Twilight giggles and settles down. “So, what are we doing to save my kids?”

Shining breathes a sigh of relief that his sister let him live. “Uh, yeah... Our operatives have begun preparations to get dad and the rest out of the country as soon as we find them. Disguise and aid drops were placed in the locations dad established during his time with the guards, so he knows where to find help. The local safehouse is watching for them as well, in case they head there instead of the embassy. There was a disturbance at the government offices where Orion was meeting your kids, indicating that they fought back.”

Celestia steps forward. “Since neither Artemis nor Orion have come forth with demands, we can assume everypony escaped Orion's trap.” She looks at Twilight. “I suggest we get you in front of the media, pleading for information about your father and children. At the very least, we can get the media on our side before anything bad happens and entice Artemis to aid us publicly, even if she has ulterior motives.”

Twilight scowls. “Aside from the few soldiers and spies we have, is there anypony else in the area that can help us? Some of Octavia's spies or Daring Do, for instance?”

Shining shakes his head. “Deeropean schools are highly resistant to cooperating with Equestrian schools. Octavia doesn't even have any recruiters in the area that aren't plain recruiters.”

“Miss Do is currently in Equestria,” Luna adds. “My son is... occupying her time right now.”

“Speaking of our son 'occupying another pony's time',” James interrupts, “what about Chrysalis?”

Shining Armor shudders at the mention of Chrysalis.

“What about her and my son?” Luna huffs.

James snickers. “Just wondering if she has any changelings in Deerope.”

Celestia shakes her head. “Even with the League of Harmony making strides in equality for all creatures, Deerope still refuses to adopt some of the changeling protections we suggest. Most changelings avoid Deerope just in case they face harsh prejudices.”

“It wouldn't hurt to ask her just in case.” He locks eyes on Shining Armor. “We can always bribe her with some love.”

Twilight kicks her husband in the gut. “No more of that.” She stands. “We should prepare my statement right away. I'll go back to my castle since that will make for a more personal backdrop.” She looks aside and covers her muzzle. “And I'll be closer to all our doomsday weapons...”

“Twilight, no unleashing The Moment on Deerope,” her husband warns. “You don't want The Doctor to go Scottish on you.”

The princess sulks as she trots away. James winks at Shining Armor then follows his wife.

Celestia sighs and heads to the door. “Luna, Shining Armor, prepare a military solution in case diplomacy fails. I want it to be the very last resort.”

Night Light leads his grandchildren to a large townhouse on a near empty street. Del and Alba watch the locals from under their disguises, wary of unwanted attention. Night Light knocks on the townhouse door. A large hart answers the knock.

“I'm lost and need to make a call,” Night Light says. “Can you be a dear and let me borrow your phone?”

The hart sighs and ushers the group inside. “Smart choice coming here. They have all routes to the embassy blocked.” As Del passes, he adds, “Don't worry about being reported. There isn't much love for the government in this district, so you have plenty of allies to keep you safe while you're here.”

Night Light stretches and removes his fake antlers. “Excellent. Is the hiding spot still in the wine cellar under the kitchen?”

“Not your first time here, I take it.”

“Far from it.”

“Then, for the record, I hate the pun in the passphrase.”

Night Light grins. “That's exactly why I wrote it.”

The older unicorn chuckles to himself as he leads the others through the house. In the kitchen, a hind and a pegasus work on a meal. They greet the guests, and the pegasus escorts them into the pantry. He opens a cellar door and helps the fugitives down before returning to the meal.

“Ooo! Cellar,” Starlight comments. “Very... cellary. ... I don't like celery.”

Alba shakes her head. “I swear. If we get home and somehow Rainbow is casting doomsday spells...”

Night Light takes a bottle from a rack. “It will wear off. Eventually. Usually takes a few hours. Didn't you ever inspect the new recruits back in your world? If they are trained like ours, dealing with magic loss is routine.”

“I was a little busy trying to save the world from ending.”

Her grandfather rolls his eyes and opens the bottle. Del snarls a bit when she sees him take a sip.

“Isn't it a little soon to start drinking?” Alba asks.

“Never!” Night Light cheers. “Besides, we need something to do while we hang out with these ponies.”

He presses a button behind one of the wine racks. Part of a wall slides open to reveal a hidden room. A few ponies and deer mill about. A couple of the deer and ponies leave through a second exit in another part of the room. An unicorn approaches the visitors.

“Welcome,” the guard greets. “It may not look like much, but we have beds set up in case you need rest and lines to the outside world if you need entertainment. The chefs should have dinner ready shortly. But first, I have to scan you to confirm your identities, and that you're not changelings.”

Del glares down at the pony, baring her fangs a little.

“... She passes.”

After a quick scan, all of the others are cleared to enter. Del and Alba plop down on a couch. Night Light starts chatting with the guards.

Starlight approaches one of the guards. “Which way to the little filly's room?”

The guard points.

“And which way to the little colt's room?”

“We only have one washroom down here, sir.”

“Bit of a step down from the luxury hotel we spent last night in last,” Alba huffs as her brother scurries to relieve himself. “Why can't I ever stay at a fancy hotel?”

“You're such a spoiled princess,” Del says, stretching as far as she can.

“Even a room at the embassy would be better. We should have stayed there. We'd at least know our stuff is safe.”

Night Light pops his back while taking a swig of wine. “Speaking of which, did you get our luggage?” he asks a guard.

“Soldiers beat us to your room,” the guard reports. “But it sounded like your rooms were already cleaned.”

Del tries rolling over, but her sister is in the way. “Sounds like daddy beat them to it. He doesn't let any technology he gives us fall into the wrong hooves.”

Alba bolts up. “My internet history!” She looks around, embarrassed. “I was doing a lot of science.”

Night Light sips his wine. “Twilight couldn't wait to get her own place so she could perform science all the time too.”

Del smirks and pokes her sister. “Yeah, but I bet Twilight studied more than just anatomy.”

Before Alba can argue back, she is overcome with a momentary dizziness. The other magic users in the room experience it as well. An alarm beeps on a console. The guards start arming themselves and putting on disguises.

“Did everything just taste purple for a moment?” Starlight asks, returning from the washroom.

“The deer deployed their magic disruption devices,” a guard reports.

“Huh. They finally got those working,” Night Light comments. “Kudos.”

“Hold your applause,” the guard huffs. “The devices emit a field that disrupts certain kinds of magic, notably teleportation and illusions. There are likely a lot of scared changelings out there that need our help.” He looks at the fugitives. “Stay put.”

The guards rush out the exit. Alba and Night Light sigh and settle in.

Starlight takes a seat near his grandfather. “So, when's dinner?”

After a hearty dinner of traditional deer recipes, the Sparkle family lounges around the saferoom. Night Light has started another bottle of wine. Del looks through the few books in stock for anything interesting. Alba flips through the channels on television, but most networks are rebroadcasting Twilight Sparkle's speech.

Starlight comes out of the back, drying his mane. “I'm done with the shower, but somepony used up all the hot water.”

“Was that somepony you?” Del asks.

“Maybe~”

The changeling rolls her eyes as she heads to shower. “It is like I'm a bucking detective...”

Alba settles for watching a cartoon about colorful hairless apes attending high school. “Ugh! This sucks!”

“No, it doesn't,” Starlight argues. “This is the battle of the bands, and the bad guys almost win!”

“One, not the show. Two, spoilers!”

“Oh, its been out for over a year now. Nopony would get upset.” He turns and stares away from his sister.

“What are ya looking at me for?” his grandfather asks.

“Just seeing if you have any input on the conversation.”

Night Light sips his wine. “I like the third one a bit better. Some of the problems faced are more realistic, even if they are solved in a fanciful way.”

“Good point. Not to mention the songs are much more em-”

SNAP!

The younger stallion recoils as a wet towel hits him in the head.

“That's what you get for using up all the hot water,” Del snorts as she finds a place to sit.

“Grandpa! Del's being mean to me!” Starlight complains.

“And?”

The younger stallion pouts. “Mom would do something about it.”

“No, she wouldn't.”

Starlight mopes for a second before a cup is levitated to him. He takes a wiff. “Floral with a hint of apricot and peach.” He takes a sip. “Ugh! Drier than Tatooine.”

“It is an acquired taste,” Night Light replies, sipping the wine. He looks at his granddaughters. “Want some too?”

Del scowls and shakes her head. “Bad things happen when I drink.”

“Too young,” Alba says.

“Doubt that ever stopped you,” Night Light laughs, pouring a cup.

The young mare sighs and takes the offered drink. She takes a sip. “Bleh! I'm with Starlight. Bring on the sweet stuff.”

“Bah! Kids!” Night Light snorts.

His grandchildren laugh at him. The family watches the movie in silence. The door to the cellar opens. The large hart caretaker of the safehouse trots in.

“I have good news and bad news,” the hart announces.

“Bad news first,” Night Light says, refilling everypony's cup. “Gives the alcohol time to work.”

“Good news... Despite what the news is saying, your family and the princesses know you are safe here and have begun preparations to get you home safely.”

“And the bad news,” Alba asks.

“The government has sealed the borders and ports tighter than a seapony's backside. Without some fancy political and security wrangling involving your sudden reappearance in the middle of the capital, there is no way to get you to a friendly port.”

The ponies stare at the deer for a moment. Del takes the cups from her brother and sister, downs them in one gulp, then takes the bottle from her grandfather and goes to a bedroom.

“I think she is done for the night,” Starlight sighs.

Night Light levitates another bottle of wine through the open cellar door. “That seems like a bit of a problem. You'll keep in touch if a safe exit route is found?”

The hart nods. “Naturally. Until then, you're safe here.”

The deer trots out of the room and seals the door behind him. The ponies slump and try to relax again.

Starlight looks at the television. “I think he interrupted my favorite song in this one.”

The next morning. Night Light and Alba eat breakfast in the saferoom. A couple of the operatives returned overnight and have joined them for the meal. Starlight yawns as he trots out of his room. Del is draped over her brother's body, forelegs wrapped around his neck, jaws chomping down on the back of his head.

“Sheesh. That wine did a number on me,” Starlight complains. “It feels like my head is being eaten.”

“It was a little strong,” Night Light agrees.

Starlight sits at the table and starts serving a plate.

“You got a little...” Alba motions around the back of her head.

Her brother adjusts his mane a little. “Did I get it?”

“Perfect.”

Starlight finishes building his plate and lifts it up. Del unlatches from his head, takes the plate, crawls to a seat and chows down. Starlight starts building another plate for himself.

“I think I have a solution for getting us out of the country safely,” Night Light states.
...

Night Light and his grandchildren stand before the hart running the safehouse. “Since all the nearby ports are on high alert, we go to a far-away one instead.”

Alba frowns at her grandfather. “Did we really have to finish breakfast, shower, and come up here for you to finish that thought?”

The rest of her family stares at her as if she is stupid.

“I'm curious to understand Sir Night Light's thought process as well,” their host adds.

Night Light turns to face him. “Simple. I saw the maps of how the Deeropean troops are deployed. Yes, it is true that getting us through one of the ports, across the nearest border, to the embassy would be near impossible without teleportation, but the borders near Saddle Arabia, the Thestral Empire, and parts further away are not as tight. We just need to get to a safe ally and head home.”

“Can't we just, you know, stream ourselves in a safe location?” Alba suggests. “That way we can show that we're safe and have live proof to the world in case Orion tries anything.”

The hart shakes his head. “Deerope's leaders tend to be very conservative, thus our infrastructure isn't the most developed nor the most private. We are fairly certain Artemis has agents monitoring all public communications.”

“Which is another good reason to head as far from the capital as possible,” Night Light says.

The deer looks at the older unicorn. “You don't mean...”

Night Light smirks. “We have history. If we get caught, we'll have a sympathetic ear.”

The deer frowns. “While it is true, that those regions under her protection are slightly less restrained than those closer to the capital...” He looks at the other ponies. “If you trust Sir Night Light's judgement, we can begin preparations and have you traveling by night.”

“Of course we trust him,” Starlight replies. “What's the worst that can happen?”

“I'm going to find them and kill them. I'm going to find them and kill them,” Orion mutters to himself as he marches down a palace corridor.

Guards salute the prince as he passes. He is in too much of a hurry to salute back. He reaches a set of double doors that more guards open for him. He heads across the throne room to where Queen Artemis is meeting with some ministers. Orion stops and collects himself while his mother finishes her meeting. The royals wait for the ministers to leave before they begin.

“You better have found them,” Artemis hisses. “It was going to be bad enough keeping Celestia out of our antlers if you hadn't screwed up. With that brat Twilight in front of cameras now, we're starting to get 'offers' of 'help' from our neighbors.”

“I'm sorry.”

“'Sorry' doesn't keep Uther from keeping his son from squawking about heading a griffin search party. 'Sorry' doesn't keep the damn fish from offering to comb our territorial waters. 'Sorry' doesn't keep zebra shamans from trying to divine their location.”

Orion looks away from his mother. “I've already called up all of the reserves and local law enforcement to aid in the search. They are about to begin a house-by-house crackdown. We will root them out.”

Artemis puts a hoof to her temple. “So your plan is to place the city under martial law?”

Orion clears his throat. “'This search is done at the request of Princess Twilight of Equestria.' or some such nonsense. Shift the blame to her.”

“They'll still blame us. They always blame us.”

“Think of it as a good time to weed out any remaining changelings in the capital as well.”

Artemis rolls her eyes. “Because your history with changelings is something I wanted to be reminded of... Why didn't you just kill the monster we captured before the others awoke?”

“I felt a public spectacle...”

“And when they found out it was adopted by that brat? What then? You would have had a riot worse than when those 'changelings' failed to revert during your eastern campaign.”

Orion scowls. “Speaking of the east, I wish to regain control of our whole army once more. The general in the east has barely implemented any of the safeguards we have.”

Artemis glares at her son. “That general is my sister. She trained you since before you had your first prongs. You will respect her.”

“She's soft,” the prince snorts. “I had to increase screenings at checkpoints under my troops' domain just to make up for her lax policies.”

“Her assuming your responsibilities in that region are the only reason we have an east still. Until I see fit to remove her from command, the failure of this current endeavor is yours to bear.”

Orion shakes and breathes deeply. “Y-yes, mo-... my queen.”

“Now, hurry back out there. Your search is taking far too long, and I can only evade Celestia for so long.”

Orion bows and heads from the throne room, barking orders at every guard he sees.

The hart guarding the safehouse enters the secret room. Night Light is playing a game with Alba. Starlight is styling Del's mane.

“The good news is, we're getting you out of here sooner than expected,” the deer announces. “The bad news is, get the heck out of here before the soldiers bust down our doors.”

“Hold on,” Night Light says. He makes a move. “Your turn.”

The deer tosses heavy, dark cloaks to the ponies. “Put these on and meet us upstairs. We apologize in advance for the bruising.”

Alba slips on the cloak. “Bruising? These don't seem that bad.”

“He means we're going to be snuck out under some heavy objects,” Night Light explains.

Del groans. “Can't you hide us in some hay or in barrels or something less uncomfortable?”

The deer snorts. “If the weak unicorns aren't complaining, you shouldn't either. I know changelings are made of tougher stuff.”

“To be fair, two-thirds of the unicorns in question are children of earth ponies,” Starlight says.

“Just follow me,” the deer grumbles.

The ponies finish dressing. Night Light slips one last bottle of wine under his cloak as they pass through the cellar. A full kitchen staff hurries to finish packing meals for the trip ahead. In a shed behind the townhouse, the lead hart helps a pair of does load a wagon with random boxes. The ponies slink to the wagon after getting some supplies from the house.

The hart loads a large crate into the wagon. “Hurry and get in. We have little time.”

He guides the ponies to the front of the wagon bed. They cram into a small hollow above the front axle. Boxes are wedged around them. A hollowed box is placed over the fugitives. The hart taps on a removable door on the hidden compartment.

“We're going to have to take you a ways south before heading east,” the deer explains. “We know the guards and what bribes will work to get through the checkpoints. Pallas and Diana are two of the best operatives we have.”

“Are you sure they are up to it?” Night Light asks.

“Are you implying a hind can't do a hart's job?”

“Not at all, especially with the prospect of a long ride with these two ahead of me.” He looks back at his granddaughters who are ready to literally bite his head off. “I just want to know their qualifications.”

“Diana is an expert tracker from your Everfree Forest. Pallas is a former soldier before she found mercenary work more rewarding.”

“Only because the prince thinks does are only slightly more useful serving our home than fawns,” Pallas snorts. “Your princesses might pay my bills, but Deerope comes first.”

“Glad to have you on our side,” Night Light replies.

The hart opens a gate to the street. “Get acquainted once you've left the city.”

Night Light replaces the panel. Pallas and Diana struggle a moment to get the wagon moving, but they trot off at a decent speed once they get going. They head off down the street as fast as they can without raising suspicions.

“Good luck,” the host says before closing up and preparing for inspectors to arrive.

After a few hours on the road, the wagon and its hidden cargo are heading towards their destination. The ease of bribing the guards to get out of the capital worries Night Light, but his deer handlers assure him that they are safe. On the open road as night falls, it is safe fore the fugitives to come out of their cramped hiding spot. Starlight and Alba volunteer to help pull the wagon, partly as an excuse to scan for holes in the anti-magic field. Night Light and Del help with the watch. Del flies slightly above the wagon to get a better vantage point. Despite being the guards for the journey, Pallas and Diana are allowed to relax and enjoy the trip while their charges do all the work.

“This is boring,” Starlight sighs. “If we could still teleport, we could totally make a game out of this.”

“How so?” Alba asks.

“Well, I could lift the wagon and throw it as far as I can. You have to teleport and catch it before it lands. Then it is your turn to throw.”

“What about everypony else?”

“They can ride inside. It will be like a trip to Whinny World for about a few hundred kilometers or until I get bored.”

“You'd be the one cleaning the wagon if you did your silly game,” Pallas says.

“We're rarely allowed to leave the forest back home,” Diana states. “Though we did go to Deero Whinny World after I moved here.”

“Meh. It was okay,” her partner comments.

“Grandpa’s promised to take us to the real one once we're home,” Starlight interjects. “Maybe you can come too.”

“Isn't Whinny World for fawns? Or foals? Or whatever?” Pallas snorts.

Starlight looks back at her, confused. “What do you mean?”

The deer sigh and sit back in the wagon. Night Light sits at the back of the wagon, vigilantly keeping watch, allowing nothing to escape his gaze. Del hovers above him, trying to find a way past her grandfather and to the food.

Pallas grumbles as she watches the ponies. “I still can't believe we have to protect Deerope’s greatest enemy.”

Night Light laughs, shooing away Del. “If you knew what I really did to deserve your hate, then you might almost like me.”

“I know enough,” the hind snorts.

“The zebra who roams our forest has mentioned you on occasion,” Diana says. “She speaks as highly of you as she does of your daughter.”

“I haven't seen Zecora in ages,” Night Light reminisces. “We could really use some zebra magic right about now.”

“Didn't you say it was a zebra potion that got us captured?” Alba asks.

“Anypony with a bit of skill or who knows where to shop can get a potion. A true zebra shaman can cloak us in a veil of darkness so we could travel at night unhindered.” His stomach growls. “Speaking of the oncoming darkness, Del and I vote to stop for dinner. And soon before your sister puts us on the menu.”

“I'm surprised she hasn't yet,” Pallas snipes.

“I'm a vegetarian,” Del growls, leering down at the deer.

“Now I've heard everything.”

“Stopping sounds like a good idea,” Alba agrees. “It might be time to switch who is on the reins.”

The passengers nod. Diana immediately hops out of the wagon to start a campfire. Night Light and Pallas begin getting out the supplies for dinner. Del helps her siblings out of their harnesses.

“You ransacked every building in the city, and you still haven't found them!” Artemis yells.

Orion steps back, looking away in shame. “There are still some buildings…”

“I don't care!” the queen shouts. “Your failure shut down the capital for a day, maybe longer with your port closures. What are you going to screw up next?”

“We've already offered a massive bounty for any information, and our other cities have already begun searches of their own. I even mobilized my army to begin searching everywhere in between the cities.”

Artemis groans and sits back on her throne, rubbing her temples. “Did your search at least find any changelings? Or smugglers? Or even petty pickpockets? Anything to justify the crackdown?”

Orion looks around nervously as he thinks. “W-we did catch a number of deer with outstanding warrants and a few illegal immigrants and changelings…”

The queen rolls her eyes and huffs. She closes her eyes and thinks for a moment. “If they are not here, then they made it out of the city. I want you to get your most loyal soldiers and raid the homes and posts of everydeer on checkpoint duty. Confiscate everything that looks like a bribe. Arrest anydeer who resists. Hold them in the worst jails until they crack. Somedeer let them slip through our hooves. Find them.”

“Y-yes ma'am.” He rises to leave. “But shouldn't we be focusing on the wider search instead?”

“That should still continue, but we have to make an example of anydeer who would dare betray Deerope to outsiders.”

Orion nods. “I agree. I'll have them rounded up by morning.” The prince leaves, yelling orders at his troops.

An aide approaches the throne. “Princess Twilight wishes to speak with you about the search.”

Artemis grumbles and follows the aide to a secure communications room.

Night Light sleeps curled up in the back of the wagon. Sky blue hooves wrap around him as Starlight spoons him from behind. Alba lays beside them in a puddle of drool. Del sleeps dangerously close to the food supply, one hoof reaching for it. The deer pulled the wagon most of the night, allowing the ponies to rest.

Night Light yawns, stretches, extracts himself from his grandson's clutches, and sits up. He looks around groggily before poking Starlight.

“Hey. Starlight, what is the average land speed of a deer?”

The young stallion mumbles incoherently.

“Very good. Alba, the average speed of a pony?”

She snorts and blows bubbles in her drool.

“Correct. That means who would win in a race, Del?”

“Dinner,” the changeling moans.

“Well done, class. For your next assignment…” -- he grabs his grandchildren with his magic and shakes them -- “RUN!”

Down the road from the wagon, Pallas is leading a squadron of soldiers to where she parked. Diana is nowhere to be seen. When Pallas sees Night Light sitting up in the wagon, she picks up her pace.

“Stop right there!” the hind calls.

Alba lifts her head up. “Why is Pallas running at us? With soldiers? Who are armed to the teeth? … O M Twilight! We got to get out of here!”

Night Light splashes Del with water. “One, that's what I've been saying! Two, there are way too many princesses for deification to work properly any more!”

“Holy mom!” Starlight yells after seeing what the shouting is about. “What is going on?”

His grandfather pulls Del to her hooves. “Don't know. Don't care. Just follow me.”

The ponies tumble out of the wagon and gallop as fast as they can. Del takes a few moments to fully awaken before she flies above everypony.

“Night Light! Stop!” Pallas shouts. “We're here for you!”

“I can see that!” the older pony shouts back.

“No! We're with Athena's army! We're only a few kilometers from the eastern provinces! We're here to take you in!”

Night Light skids to a stop. He uses his magic to catch his family. He marches back to the deer, who are exhausted from trying to keep pace with the ponies. He points at Pallas. “You need to learn better word choice, young lady.”

Twilight Sparkle trots through Canterlot Castle with her mother. Twilight Velvet has a mischievous smile on her face.

“Did you really have to say that to reporters?” the princess groans.
-------------------------------

A few moments ago. Outside the castle gates, reporters clamor for a comment as the two Twilights head to a briefing together.

“Princess Twilight! Any news on your children?”

“Is the military planning on sending a search team of their own?”

“Do you think this is all part of an elaborate plot orchestrated by a rogue changeling to justify a war between our two nations in order to feed her hive on the conflict that follows?”

“Dude. You've been pushing that line with no evidence since day one.”

“It can happen! I swear!”

“Miss Velvet! Are you worried about your husband?”

Twilight Velvet looks back and laughs. “I’m more worried for the deer if he gets his hooves on them.”
-------------------------------

“Saying something like that could inflame tensions,” her daughter argues.

The unicorn laughs. “Oh, when you get to be my age, you stop caring about things like that.”

Princess Twilight stares at her mother, annoyed. “I was your age. Over four hundred years ago. Time travel, remember?”

“I just hope your father doesn't run into that Athena again,” her mother worries. “He's a bad influence on her.”

“I'm sure he's fine.”

The two Twilights reach the war room. Celestia, Luna, and Shining are waiting for them.

“Aren't you supposed to salute?” Twilight Velvet asks her son.

“Salute your mom! Salute your mom!” Twilight Sparkle teases.

Shining groans and salutes his mother and sister. The other princesses snicker at the embarrassed stallion.

Twilight laughs a bit too. “You said there was something new to report?”

Shining nods. “Yes. Dad and your kids will be home soon.”

“Excellent!” his mother cheers. “Where are they now?”

“From the reports we've seen, they just crossed into Eastern Deerope and are with General Athena's army.”

“What,” Twilight Velvet replies flatly.

“It is okay, Ms. Velvet,” Luna says. “I contacted Athena in her dreams, and we worked out a deal. She'll help your family return safely as long as we go easy on her sister and nephew.”

“I don't like letting them off for potentially having a role in their disappearance in the first place,” Celestia sighs, “but I doubt we can conclusively prove their involvement.”

“I bet James and I can dig up some dirt on them,” Twilight offers. “Heck. Maybe our investigation would show that we were the ones helping them escape all along.”

“I do not like your meddling with the time stream,” Celestia warns. “It doesn't feel right.”

“When you've meddled with the time stream as much as I have, you get a feel for what can easily be changed without affecting too much. I told you all about that next week.”

The elder princess frowns at her protege sternly.

“Did you say he was with Athena again?” Velvet growls. “Do you remember the last time he was around Athena?”

“Based on his reports, he was the one responsible for her brief retirement,” Luna replies.

“That is not ALL he got her to do!”

The pony family hides in the back of the wagon as the soldiers with Pallas pull it through a fortress. They do not want to be seen for fear one of Orion’s spies will spot them. The fortress is filled with deer soldiers. Most are relaxing and playing games. Some are suited up for patrols or guard duty. The wagon is brought to an offbeat stable near a fancy tent. Guards in gold-plated armor surround the tent and move to block access to the stable. Pallas waves the ponies to the back of the stable.

“Be very careful around camp,” Pallas warns. “Though these troops are loyal to Athena, the reach of Artemis and Orion extends all across Deerope.”

“We made it this far. How bad can it be?” Starlight replies.

Pallas just snorts. A guard approaches and whispers to her. “It seems the general will see you now. This way.”

Pallas and the guard lead the ponies to a back entrance to the tent. The tent is furnished with weapons, armor, and the occasional owl statue. A large map of Eastern Deerope hangs on a wall, with many notes pinned around various cities. A table with a generous meal has been set at the center of the tent. Seated at the table is a hind who appears almost as large as a hart. She is wearing a full length chiton with light armor over it. She has a serene, serious, and somewhat aloof expression as she takes in the guests. Pallas and the guard immediately bow. Starlight and Alba bow as well, nudging Del to do the same.

“Athena!” Night Light calls cheerfully, trotting to the table. “It's been ages! You appear to be doing well!”

Athena snorts, grits her teeth, and looks away briefly. “I see your skill with royal protocol is as refined as ever. I would have thought your daughter and daughter-in-law would have forced you to hone it finer.”

“Pfft! I'm the cool grandpa. I can do what I want.”

“Technically, you're the only grandpa most of us have,” Starlight adds, looking up.

Night Light smirks as he takes a seat across from Athena. “So, how are your kids?”

“You know my feelings on the matter of intercourse, reproductive or otherwise.”

“Is that why you are waiting longer than your little sister to finish us off? I knew you still cared.”

Athena glares at the unicorn for a moment before looking at her guards. “Thank you for bringing my guests. Make sure nodeer enters until we're through.”

Pallas and the guard nod and leave the tent. The rest of the ponies rise and take seats at the table. Starlight and Alba poke at the food.

“We're not going to pass out if we eat this, are we?” Alba asks.

Before Athena can answer, Del has already eaten a tray of tarts. Her siblings and grandfather watch her closely. The changeling looks at them skittishly.

“Did you want some?” Del asks, dabbing her cheeks with a napkin.

Her family sighs in relief and settles in.

“I must say. When I heard one of you was a changeling, I was not expecting a queen,” Athena comments.

“She's more of a princess,” Alba retorts. “Starlight is the queen.”

“Speaking of which, where can I get a lovely dress like yours?” the stallion asks. “It looks comfy.”

“Actually, this design is unisex and quite common,” Athena answers. “I'll include one in your supplies when we send you off.”

“Sweet.”

“Hmm,” Night Light grunts.

The deer turns her attention to her guest. “Just say it.”

“Just wondering why you are helping us instead of your sister.”

“I'm helping both of you. The sooner you are gone, the sooner we can begin repairing our nations’ relationship. By sending you home, I prevent a war that would destroy Deerope. We're already very fragile as it is.”

“It didn't look like that in the capital,” Alba comments.

“The west is very agrarian. They always have plenty of abundance.” Athena takes a deep breath. “But that is not enough to build an economy on these days. Our only real trading partners are the griffins and thestrals, yet my sister limits the amount of industrial goods that may be imported. Our rocky relations with our eastern and northern neighbors are smoothed only because I am the de facto ruler in these provinces.” She lets out a long sigh. “I do what I can, but it never seems like I am getting anything substantial done.”

The former princess nods in agreement. “I've been there.”

Del looks up from stuffing herself. “I sense a lot less tension here than I did in the capital. You must be doing something right.”

Athena smiles at the changeling. “Thank you. That may be due to our relative autonomy out here. That has allowed me to do things such as migrate our industry towards manufactured goods and allow democracy to take root and spread. You don't see that sort of progress in the west.”

Night Light thinks. “Let me guess. That was part of the deal to get you out of retirement.”

“Correct. I clean up Orion's mess, but I get to govern as I see fit. As long as I don't violate an order from my sister and the citizens under my watch wish me to stay, I am in charge.”

“Then can you turn off the anti-magic generators for a few hours so the boy can teleport us home?”

“I'd rather not. I've stretched violating that fawn's ill-thought-out orders as far as they can go. He will use any excuse to get my army back under his control.”

“Then just point me to them. I'll blow them up. You can say sabotage and blame everydeer’s favorite enemy.”

Athena snorts angrily. “I doubt that would help my cause any more than turning them off. Besides, I've been working to reverse your reputation, at least with my soldiers. I don't want to undo the work I have done.”

The unicorn grins playfully. “Aww! You do care.”

Athena snorts again, kicks the table, and turns away, blushing.

Alba looks at her two elders. “Okay. I have to know. What did my grandfather do when he was last here?”

“He knows what he did!” Athena snarls.

“And she helped,” Night Light adds. “That's why she had to retire,” -- he smirks -- “and why her epithet is a misnomer.”

Athena slams her front hooves on the table. “That is a lie and slander! That night never happened!”

Starlight facehoofs. “Grandpa, do any of the stories from your youth involve you NOT sleeping with somepony besides grandma?”

Night Light ponders his answer. “Did I ever tell you about my adventure with Daring Do?”

“Yeah.”

“Then, that one.”

“And ours as well!” Athena shouts. She sits, pouting, trying to calm herself. “I have never lain with a male. Ever!”

Night Light winks at her.

Starlight studies his elders for a moment. “I think I'm going to believe her. She seems more trustworthy.”

“Good call,” his grandfather agrees. He examines the tent a bit while eating. “So, what's the plan from here? I don't think you have an airfield to send us on our merry way.”

“We'll announce your safe arrival tomorrow,” Athena explains. “An escort of some of my most loyal soldiers will take you to Saddle Arabia where you can catch a ship home from there.”

“So… We'll be given all our magic back too? Since you don't need to keep us trapped anymore?”

“I already said I am skirting my orders just by helping you.”

“I can't believe we're considered that much of a threat,” Starlight moans. “I mean, I know Alba and granddad are former terrorists, but Del and I are completely normal.”

Del eats an ear of corn whole, cob and all. She licks her fangs clean of kernels.

Alba gives her brother an incredulous look. “You're a half alien who believes in recreational time travel and raids his mother's closet when dressing for a fancy occasion.”

Starlight turns his nose up. “You're just jealous I have the haunches to pull off a princess dress.”

“Girls, you're both pretty,” Night Light grumbles. “Now, shut up and eat your dinner.”

“Yes, grandpa,” they moan.

Del crunches into a gourd. She looks revolted and spits it out. “Yuck! That dish was horrible!”

“That was a centerpiece,” Athena sighs.

The changeling stares at what she just tried to eat before moving to another dish. “I've had better.”

Orion rushes into his mother's throne room. “We found them!”

“About time,” Artemis snaps. She calms herself. “Make sure to blame any ‘roughing up’ on subversives. If the changeling can meet with an accident on the way back, that would be most wonderful. And for Night Light…”

“Actually… they are not yet in our custody.”

“Then why did you say you have them?”

“Because they are at your sister's camp.”

“My sister?”

Orion stands tall. “Not to worry. I've already begun recalling and regrouping my army. The first battalion will arrive by daybreak. We will reclaim our prisoners, even if it is by force.”

“Why would my sister harbor them without telling me?”

“She has always been sickeningly independent,” Orion replies. “Allowing does to serve in her army. Letting cities under her control make decisions without her approval. Letting civilians” -- he shudders -- “vote. I don't think she truly respects her homeland.”

“Watch your tongue,” Artemis warns. She slumps back in her throne. “I highly doubt my sister would do anything to harm Deerope, but I don't know what her game could be helping those ponies over me. I'll have an order drafted allowing you to requisition her forces, but only if she is revealed to truly be defying my orders. You will need to provide evidence to me if you use any of her troops.”

Orion bows. “Understood. I will begin my investigation immediately.” The prince turns and marches from the room.

Alba takes a stroll in the middle of the night. Another tent has been erected besides Athena's for the ponies, with loyal guards protecting them as well. The young mare just needs a moment away from her family since they have been in close quarters for a long time. She sees Athena approach from across the camp. The hind looks exasperated and slightly annoyed. She quickly puts on a facade when she sees the unicorn watching her.

“Good evening, Miss Alba,” the general greets.

Alba bows. “Athena. Good to see you.”

“What are you doing out of your tent?”

“Just needed some air. And you?”

The hind slumps a bit. “We had reports of a demon in the larder…”

“Oh, Del…”

“Exactly. Now we're out a week's worth of provisions.”

Alba laughs. “Yeah. She does that. Stores in Ponyville try to remain overstocked just in case she stops by.” She stretches her back. “Better a month's worth of cakes than any of us.”

Athena nods. “Without a strong bond to feed off of, changelings need a higher caloric intake to maintain their strength. Due to our skittish nature, anydeer who is a fast friend is looked upon with suspicion. Yet another cultural habit that needs to change.”

“Do you have a negative opinion of changelings?”

Athena looks around her camp. “Many years ago, a centaur wizard came up from the Badlands and terrorised a reindeer village.”

“That's a pretty long way from the Badlands,” Alba comments.

“He must have seen the town as an easy target compared to the rest of Deerope. Anyway. I lead a detachment of soldiers to repel him. It was a hard battle, and we were trapped inside the town walls, waiting for an opening. We heard a noise from outside town. A half dozen changelings had ambushed the wizard and were draining his magic. He fled and was never seen again.”

“And the changelings?”

“An unoccupied house suddenly had a new reindeer family move in. A wonderful coincidence.” Athena smiles down at Alba. “I read reports saying that you have quite the history with changelings too.”

The unicorn fidgets and looks around nervously. “Just because I got in a fight with Naiad, and they eventually pulled her charred, mutilated, desecrated remains from the ocean, it doesn't mean I'm the one wholly responsible…”

Athena looks surprised. “I meant your mission to ally with Chrysalis. What's this about..?”

“Nothing about revenge for my father!” Alba laughs nervously. “But yes, befriending Chrysalis’ hive was feat. I'm afraid my idiot brother gets most of the credit though.”

“I do not think Starlight is…”

“No, he's my weird brother. I mean my idiot brother.”

“Right… Anyway, it is getting late. You should retire. You have a long day ahead of you, and you'll be home soon.”

“Okay. Watch your food supply.”

Athena nods. Alba heads back to her tent. Del passes by, levitating a ball of snacks.

“You're out of sweetbreads,” the changeling says, heading to her tent.

“Does your belly have no limit!”

The Sparkle family is awakened by being unceremoniously thrown on the ground. Rows of sharpened spears are pointed at them from all directions. Prince Orion stands before them, smiling smugly. Athena and her garrison stand against the walls, forced away from their posts and weapons by Orion's soldiers. The general passes covert communications to her troops, warning them to be ready for treachery.

“We really have to stop meeting like this,” Night Light quips, standing.

Orion trots over to taunt his prisoners. “Yes, you always seem to end up on your knees before me. Yet for some reason you can't figure out what to do next.”

Night Light quickly rears back and headbutts the prince as hard as he can. Orion instantly collapses to the ground. Orion's troops advance on the pony, but he casts a shield spell to protect himself.

“Its okay!” Starlight calls. “I'm pretty sure that was just a mating display. I think that mean Orion lost his rights to reproduce…”

Some of the deer guarding the prisoners snicker. They immediately stop when Orion's honor guard trot up to aid their leader. They help him back to his hooves. The prince has a bloody nose from the assault, and his antlers are gouged where Night Light's horn cut them.

“You're lucky your daughter wants you alive,” the prince snarls, trying to stop his nosebleed. “But that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with you before we send you home.”

“You heard the boy,” Night Light replies. “You lost your alpha status to me. If you really want to have some fun, well, you're not my type.”

Orion rears and tries attacking with his antlers, but Night Light catches him with his magic.

“Turn the anti-magic field to maximum,” the prince commands. “Put them in chains. Muzzle them. Guards on them around the clock.” He looks at Del. “And will somedeer kill this monster!”

Orion's troops start carrying out his orders. The unicorns stagger as more of their magic is blocked. Del fights back as soldiers try holding her down.

“You can't do this!” Athena shouts, shoving her way forward. “They are my guests!”

“So you admit to harboring criminals against the Queen's orders!” Orion shouts, pointing a hoof covered in nose blood at his aunt.

“I admit to aiding a group of lost travellers find their way home,” Athena replies. “Travellers who were brought to Deerope under false pretenses. Travellers who were arrested without charge. Travellers who were sentenced without trial.” She goes to Del and kicks one of the soldiers from the changeling. “You were going to executive Del without out cause! Aside from a disturbing amount of pastries, she hasn't harmed anydeer here!”

“It is a monster and needs to be destroyed!”

“You'll have to go through me first!”

Orion trots over to his aunt slowly. They glare intently at each other. Orion tenses his muscles as he readies a strike.

“Enough!”

All eyes turn to Starlight. The guards around him back away as he courses with magical energy.

“I am sick and tired of you threatening us!” the stallion shouts. “You have tried to harm me, my family, and now my friends! I will not stand by while you harm anyone else!”

Starlight releases a surge of magic, knocking back the deer soldiers.

“Uh oh. I've been where he's going,” Alba worries.

Orion backs down from threatening Athena and turns to face Starlight. “You're just a teacher. You think I'm scared of you.”

“You should be. I've learned from the best of them how to bring down galactic-scale empires. If you don't release all of us now and run away to the hole you crawled out of, I will see to it that your world crashes down around you so hard the pieces will be in pieces.”

“If you think I'm scared of a little magic, you have another thing coming.” He motions to his troops. “Archers! If he says one more word, make him a pincushion.” He looks back at his aunt. “And to prove I'm serious, skip the formal execution. Take out the monster and the traitor now.”

A barrage of arrows are loosed upon Del and Athena. They are all caught, snapped and dropped before they can strike. Orion turns to face Starlight again. The unicorn glows as magic flows through him.

“Impossible!” Orion stammers. “Even Celestia herself shouldn't be able to lift a fork with this strong an anti-magic field.”

Starlight takes a deep breath. He runs a hoof through his mane, the hairs on his mane and tail turning dark purple with one black and one pink stripe running through them. “Let's skip the sixty episodes of filler and do the Kai version.”

Starlight pulls all of his magic into himself and releases it in one massive burst. Once the energy dissipates, Orion and all of his soldiers are unconscious. The ponies and Athena's garrison are left standing but scared and confused about what just happened. Starlight flops to the ground, drained.

Athena looks around, shaking. She tries to make eye contact with as many of her troops as she can. She takes a breath to calm herself. “Re- release the messenger birds! Inform the rest of our army to put our plan into action. When…” -- she taps her nephew -- “If Orion wakes up, he will have us in chains if we do not act as if we were incapacitated as well. Remember, Deerope and your families come first. His and the Queen's orders come second.” She looks around again. “Go!”

Del scrambles to her grandfather's side. “What just happened and when did Starlight become stronger than a princess?”

Alba trembles beside her sister. “I've never felt magic that strong.”

“I have,” Night Light replies, lifting Starlight to his hooves. “When your mom fought Tirek.”

“Thanks for the compliment,” Starlight says, his head practically spinning. “But that was nowhere near that level and mom is WAY stronger than me.”

“What happened to your mane?” Alba asks. “It looks like mine now.”

Her brother checks his locks. “Oh. That. I just used my hidden reserve magic.” He looks at his sister. “Don't you keep magic in your hair too?”

She shakes her head. “That still doesn't explain…”

Four saddlebags are dropped in front of the ponies.

Athena points in a direction. “Nearest border is that way. We'll delay Orion as long as we can, but he has more soldiers coming. Stay away from towns and roads. Help will find you on your way. Hurry!”

The ponies take the saddlebags. Before they can say farewell, Athena shoos them from the fort. Once again, the Sparkle family gallops away from their near capture.

Celestia and Luna teleport into the situation room. An alarm blares. Shining Armor scrambles to get reports in order. Twilight and James calmly trot into the room.

“What's going on?” Celestia demands.

Luna turns off the alarm.

“We detected a massive magic surge from Deerope,” Shining reports. “It was strong enough to punch a hole in their anti-magic field for several seconds. We're still trying to figure out the cause and location.”

“Oh, Starlight,” Twilight sighs.

“Was the epicenter about twenty meters from the south wall of Athena's headquarters?” James asks, looking at his tablet.

Everypony stares at him.

“Give or take a meter.”

“How do you know that?” Luna asks.

James and Twilight look at each other then point to a spot just above the nape of their necks.

“Subdermal temporal subspace transponder,” James answers.

“Best way to keep track of a pony who believes in recreational time travel,” Twilight adds.

Everypony stares at the couple in shock.

“You knew where they were the whole time!” Shining yells.

“Just Starlight.” Twilight snorts. “What mother shouldn't know everything her son is doing regardless of where he is in time and space?”

Behind her, James makes a face and shakes his head.

“I heard that!”

Shining grimaces at his little sister. “I can't believe you knew where they were and didn't do anything.”

Twilight frowns. “You said I couldn't rain hellfire across Deerope…”

James gives the others an upset look. “So who's the real monster here?”

Shining Armor groans and hits his head on the planning table.

Celestia sighs. “Still, short of you two swooping in and saving them, your family is still on the lam in hostile territory.”

“Technically, wouldn't they be on the deer?” James quips.

The elder princesses glare at the stallion, still upset about the secret tracking device they just heard about.

“Actually, we've been preparing for that too,” Twilight replies. She goes to the door and calls somepony over. “Its your time to shine now.”

The princesses wait, curious for what will come next. Celestia immediately facehoofs when she sees who enters.

“Your savior has arrived,” Chrysalis declares.

“Greetings, Chrysalis,” Luna huffs.

Celestia just shakes her head.

“It has been a while since we worked together,” the changeling says, sauntering over to the table. She looks at Luna. “Your new son isn't here by chance, is he? I hear he and I were ‘acquainted’ back is his world and I hope to rebuild that relationship.”

“He is far from where you can get your slimy hooves on him, you…”

“Shining Armor! Wonderful to see you too!” Chrysalis interrupts. “We have to catch up too. In private.”

“Good luck,” James snorts. “I've been barking up that tree for a while.”

“What are you here for, Chrysalis?” Celestia grumbles.

“I'm here to help, of course. You just have to agree to my terms.”

“They aren't really her terms,” Twilight clarifies. “Chrysalis only acted as a liaison.”

“I did more than that,” the changeling huffs. “But yes, I am speaking for Queen Miasma. You might know her as the queen of the hive that operates around Saddle Arabia and the zebra lands.”

“We know all about her from our intelligence,” Shining states.

“What your intelligence likely doesn't know is that Naiad has been gathering near the Eastern Deerope border. She is still peeved about their prince declaring genocide on her a few years back.” She smiles coyly at Shining. “Not all princes can be as compassionate and handsome as others.”

“I'm not that good looking,” James says, “but thanks for the compliment.”

“Naiad is nearly impossible to track,” Celestia complains. “She always hides where we can't reach her and strikes without warning.”

“Eastern Deerope just happens to be where my family currently is,” Twilight points out.

“I thought she was speaking for Miasma, not Naiad,” Luna says.

“I am,” Chrysalis replies. “This is one of those multiple birds with one stone things.” She licks her lips. “Speaking of multiple birds, who's hungry?”

“Explain your plan, Chrysalis,” Celestia demands.

“Hmpf. Very well.” Chrysalis points to the map of Deerope. “Naiad is gathering here. Near the border with reindeer territory, but far enough away so she doesn't get found. Miasma will draw her and Orion out with a false flag operation. Naiad can't resist revenge for harming a fellow changeling or attacking against her current victim. Orion will have to deal with a changeling invasion and will divert his bloodlust against a worthy target.”

“In exchange for drawing Orion and Naiad together, Miasma has some pretty reasonable demands,” Twilight adds.

“Amnesty, naturally,” Chrysalis says. “A recognized claim to her current territory…”

“And beginning a process of integration like we offered Chrysalis,” Twilight says, finishing the list.

“That is an awful risk, pitting Orion against Naiad,” Celestia replies. “The last time those two fought…”

“Naiad is not nearly as strong as she was then,” Chrysalis states. “Her blind rage and insanity will cause her to make mistakes.”

“And we can use her as a political scapegoat,” Luna adds. “It would be a way to allow Artemis to save face after this fiasco is over.”

Celestia paces around the room. “I don't like an option where we potentially destabilise an ally to save four ponies.”

“Yet Artemis was willing to destroy our relationship with Deerope just to use my children as political pawns,” Twilight states.

“They are knights, if not rooks, at the very least,” James adds.

Twilight and her husband hoof bump in solidarity.

Celestia pauses before beginning another circuit of the room. “Get me a conference call with Uther and Osiris. I want everypony in the area to be prepared.”

“What about Artemis?” Luna asks. “We are making a big decision for her nation.”

Celestia looks at the map. “If the troop movements we've been seeing these past few days are any indication, she made her decision when she set the trap for Twilight’s family.”

“Good call!” Chrysalis cheers. “Orion won't live to regret this!”

Everypony glares at the changeling.

“Well, maybe if we're lucky…”

After hours of galloping through the fields and forests of Eastern Deerope, the Sparkle family stops to rest in a secluded glade. The ponies flop on the ground, legs sore. Del helps them get comfortable and access their packs. Her legs are fresh, but her wings are beat, unused to any sustained flight. She finally sits by Starlight after everypony is settled.

“Why did we have to flee before breakfast?” the changeling complains. “I'm starved.”

Starlight leans over and gives his sister a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Very funny.”

“We're going to have to ration our meals until we reach friendly territory,” Night Light replies. “We'll all have to tighten our belts.”

“She's the skinniest one here,” Alba notes. “What more is there to tighten?”

“She's also the biggest eater here. She can tighten with the rest of us.”

Alba sighs and stretches her sore legs. She watches Starlight slip some of his provisions into Del's pack. “Hey. Starlight.”

The stallion looks away innocently.

“Now that we have a moment, what is up with your mane?”

He checks his bangs. “Right. Forgot about that.” He casts a spell changing his mane and tail back to shades of bright green. “That's better.”

“No. Why was it all… weird?”

“It wasn't weird. It was normal. Now, it is coordinated with my coat.”

“Just answer your sister's question,” Night Light snorts.

Starlight moans, “Fine.” He takes a deep breath. “See, dark purple with those streaks is my real hair color. But mom, dad, and I thought it looked weird with my blue coat, so mom taught me how to change it to colors that we thought better matched my coat. Plus, it is a good reservoir of magic. Nopony ever thinks to check your hair for magic.”

“Leave it to your mother to come up with a trick like that,” Night Light groans, stretching.

“Why don't you use your real hair color?” Alba asks.

“Near black? On light blue? Especially with those highlights?” Starlight snorts, hurt. “Do you have any idea how bad that would look? Very poor character design. I mean, how lazy would it be if all of us looked like our parents?”

“Sheesh. Just asking.”

“Although, if I wanted to be truly original, I'd look like that guy.”

Starlight points behind his grandfather. Night Light turns and jumps up in surprise. A dark form is standing in the shadows. A charcoal horse with leathery wings and sunken features trots out. He is wearing black armor with a shining red jewel at the breast. He sets four sets of armor on the ground.

“Put those on and follow me,” the thestral says.

“You guys capturing us too?” Night Light asks, levitating a set of armor to himself.

“Hardly. We're here to rescue you. You think you ponies are the only ones with spies around here?”

Alba sighs while putting on her armor. “Just once I'd like to go on a world-changing adventure without Osiris saving our flanks.”

“Don't care if it is the death horses, yaks, or Sombra himself,” her grandfather replies. “Just glad for the support.”

“Do I look like a warrior?” Starlight asks, posing in armor that is too big for him.

The thestral snorts. “Our armor is not normally meant to be worn by ponies, though I'm surprised your changeling friend fits it so well.”

“I'm not changing my shape, if that's what you're implying,” Del huffs, examining her armor. “What does this thing do?”

Del taps the jewel and becomes invisible.

“Excellent. You figured it out,” the thestral replies. “The rest of you, do the same. You should be able to see, thus follow, me still. I'll signal you when you have to cut your banter, as we'll be nearing our hideout then.” He taps his gem and motions invisibly. “This way.”

The ponies quickly tap their gems and follow.

The ponies and thestral reappear in the backroom of a house. The sun can be seen going down outside. The thestral begins removing his armor.

“These gems are truly outrageous,” Starlight comments, flickering in and out of visibility.

Night Light dope slaps his grandson. “Knock it off.”

A new thestral enters the back room. His coat is onyx and well groomed. “Ah! Ponies! Welcome! I am Commander Seto of the Allied Cross Border Expeditionary Force,” he greets. “Glad you finally arrived.”

“I'll tell the others to get beds ready. They need really need to rest,” the other thestral says.

Alba sets her armor aside. “This day has already been exhausting. I didn't expect to run into any thestrals.”

Seto laughs. “You think you ponies are the only ones keeping an eye on your neighbors? No other nation watches northeastern Deerope like we do.”

“So you're the friends Athena told us to watch for,” Night Light comments.

“No, but the way things could turn out soon…” He puts a foreleg around the older unicorn. “Anyway! Let's get you some food and rest and fill you in on the situation. We have some reindeer here that are really excited to hear how you stuck it to the prince.”

Seto leads the ponies out into a larger meeting room. Thestrals and reindeer stop their work to cheer the guests.

A while later. The ponies rest in a guest room. Del is absent, having gotten stuck in a soup pot as she tried getting every last bit of food she could find. Seto finishes explaining the tentative plan to escape Deerope. Starlight spends most of the time rolling around on his bed, claiming to be listening.

“Sounds like playing two Batstallion gambits against each other and hoping they catch,” Alba comments.

“They will,” Night Light assures. “Orion and Naiad are too vindictive to ignore a chance to fight each other.”

“Yeah. It is a classic ‘mom and dad’ scheme,” Starlight agrees. “He likes trolling and playing rival sides against each other. She likes any excuse to make something a friendship problem for her to solve. So them.”

A door is heard opening in the next room.

“Ve have finally arrived. Be güd and help us out of zis armor.”

“Sounds like your passport has arrived,” Seto groans, rolling his eyes.

A moment later. A reindeer doe steps into the room. Her chest and neck fluff is styled and extra poofy. Her antlers are adorned with glittery decorations. She looks at the ponies with playful curiosity.

“Ponies, welcome Deputy Foreign Minister Velvet,” Seto introduces.

“It eez a pleasure,” Velvet says, holding out a hoof. She waits a moment before tapping her outstretched hoof on the ground and holding it out again. She taps again after continuing to receive no response.

“Lady, I'm a former princess,” Alba interrupts. “If you know anything about etiquette, we ain't kissing your hoof.”

“I have a girlfriend,” Starlight adds, seemingly failing to notice the irrelevance of that information.

“Hmph. Maybe later vhen you are zankful for my help.” Velvet trots to Del's unoccupied bed and stretches out as luxuriously as she can. “Now, let's get down to business.”

“I just told them the general outline of the plan,” Seto states.

“Güd. Zo I don't have to say much else for now.” She looks around. “Have ze little beasties arrived yet?”

Del trots into the room, licking the last of the soup from her face. “I think I got all of it, but there was barely a decent amount left.”

“Herregud!” Velvet gasps. “You're a big one!”

“One what?” the changeling growls.

“Sorry. I vas expecting a tiny älva, not one of your queenies.”

Del glares down at the reindeer stretched out before her. Starlight snickers at how nonplussed Velvet is at his sister's attempt to be intimidating.

“Del is one of the ones you're helping across the border,” Night Light sighs.

“Hmm. Should have guessed zat since zere is only one of you.” She plays with an antler decoration. “Should have brought some vith me…”

“What does that mean?” Del snorts, finding a seat by her brother.

“Ve have a small colony of älva in our land. Ze Commonwealth is very open to your kind.” She smirks. “Anyzing ze deer hate, ve love.”

Night Light clears his throat. “Changing topics slightly. Why would your government send a deputy minister for a military operation?”

“Zis diversion ve're running needs a fine, delicate touch.”

“Both our governments agreed that an active military presence might invite trouble for our interests as well,” Seto explains. “In the end, we are, militarily, more concerned with keeping any potential fallout from entering our counties.” He looks at Velvet. “This is no time for a pointless land grab.”

“Hmpf! You know as vell as I zat vhen ze deer finally gave us our freedom, zey kept a number of towns with large reindeer populations for zemselves just to have somezing to use against us if ve vent against zem.”

“You're lucky you got anything at all. Orion is already cracking down on the freedoms Athena enacted while she was in charge. The sooner we can get him out of here, the sooner their own citizens can be free again.”

“Still doesn't explain why a politician and not one trained for dangerous extractions,” Night Light interjects.

“Same reason I'm in charge here,” Velvet replies. She scrunches up her neck fluff and simpers. “I am ze prettiest!” She settles down and bats a hoof towards the ponies. “Except for maybe zat one.”

“Why thank you,” Starlight replies coyly.

“Not you. Ze one next to you. Ze älva.”

Del points to herself. “Me?” she squeaks, blushing.

“You have ze poise of a beauty queen vith lovely hair to match. You must be a model back in Equestria.”

“Not quite, but close,” Starlight replies for his embarrassed sister.

Seto grunts as he goes to the door. “It is getting late. I'm going to join the patrols looking for Miasma’s changelings. Get plenty of rest. I'd say there is plenty of food, but…”

“Yeah, you should really do something about that,” Del chides.

The thestral snorts, annoyed. He leaves his guests to relax.

The next day. The ponies lounge around the reindeer/thestral base while waiting for the changelings to arrive. Despite search parties being out all night, there are no signs of them. Seto paces nervously, hoping they have not been captured on the way through Deerope. Seemingly oblivious to the tension, Velvet orders the staff to carry out various beautification projects around the base. Night Light finds some liqueur their hosts had hidden and tries getting anypony in reach to take a break with him. Del, Alba, and Starlight play cards in their bunk.

“Are we certain this is a good idea?” Alba asks. “I don't think I've heard of the Commonwealth of Rein before now.”

“Its cool,” Starlight replies. “It probably just didn't exist in your world.”

“Maybe. I remember some areas breaking from Deerope just before the end. They didn't want a fearful king preventing them from saving as many as possible.”

“Things must have been pretty crazy. Ever fear you missed a few?”

“Sometimes. We made sure to offer salvation to everypony, whether they were friendly or not to the Republic.”

“I'm sure everything worked out.”

Velvet prances into the room. A ladle hangs from her antler. She leans towards Del. “Taste.”

The changeling rolls her eyes and sips. “Its good.”

“Not too much parsley? Plenty of potatoes? Ze right consistency?”

“Uh, yeah. Very good.”

“Zank you.” Velvet prances back out. “I told you it vas too zin!”

Del grumbles. “Why does she keep doing that?”

“You are the biggest eater,” Alba replies. “You have to have some gourmand knowledge.”

“It is not just that though. Since I got up, she's offered to style my hair, shine my chitin, ordered a hooficure for us, and wanted to shave the undercoat from all the other reindeer just so we'd have matching and warmer armor for our escape.”

“But ze älva must be pampered for her glory to shine zrough!” Starlight says, in his best (or worst) reindeer accent.

“And she keeps calling me zat! Uh, that! What does it mean?”

“Älva are magical creatures in reindeer mythology,” her brother explains. “They are said to be very beautiful.”

Del blushes. “Oh.”

Del's siblings snicker at her reaction. The outside door bursts open and a squadron deer in full armor march in.

“Everydeer down! This is a raid!” the lead deer commands. A second later, he smirks and starts laughing. He drops his spell, revealing himself to be a changeling. “Nah. Just messing with you.”

“About time you show up,” Seto growls.

“Hey. You see the turmoil out there?” the changeling counters. “It is somewhere between martial law and full rebellion out there. Almost thought you wouldn't need us after seeing a number of Naiad's hive stalking the roads.”

“We had a deal. I expect you to honor it.”

“We will. We will.”

The changelings start spreading around the room. Night Light invites one to drink with him. Their leader approaches Velvet.

“Hey, cutie. Fancy seeing you here.”

“Did I give you permission to schpeak to me?” Velvet snorts.

“Ah, come on. I can be anyone, anything, any size you want.”

“Enh.”

“Tsk. Prude.”

The changeling turns to leave. Velvet gives him a quick kick in the rear.

“What was that for?” the changeling snarls.

“Zomedeer has to teach you zome manners if you are going to be vorking vith us.”

“Listen, lady! Do you know how hard it was to find volunteers, with enough skill to overpower the magic blockers, and risk being killed by both deer and changelings alike? You don't like our manners. Tough!”

The changeling snatches the ladle from Velvet's stew and pours it over her head.

Velvet stews under her stew. “Del! Zis alf has assaulted me! Kill him!”

Del groans and leaves her game. “What is it now?”

The changelings instantly bow when they see Del. Velvet hops over to her, wraps her in a hug, and sobs.

“Ze meanie doused me in ze soup I vas making for you. He needs to be taught a lesson.”

Del groans again. “You. The one who did this.”

The changeling rushes forward and bows. “Yes, my queen?”

“You will do everything Velvet tells you to do until I tell you to stop? Understood?”

“As you wish.”

Velvet glares down at the changeling. “You vill start by running me a proper bath zo I may clean up. Zen, I need more ingredients for my zoup…”

The reindeer trots off, issuing orders. The changeling follows dutifully. His friends snicker at his punishment.

“Do you want to join him?” Del shoots in their direction.

The other changelings immediately stop laughing.

“Thank you,” Seto sighs. “Maybe now we can finally finish our plans to get you to safety.”

“You might have to wait until after Velvet's bath,” Night Light laughs.

“Enh,” the thestral replies.

A bar of soap hits him in the head. He turns and scowls at the changeling serving Velvet. He points towards the bath.

“Don't you schtart vithout me,” Velvet sings from the bath.

Seto sits down and grumbles. He happily takes the liqueur Night Light offers him.

Everypony, everydeer, every everything at the thestral base gathers for one final briefing. Thanks to the intelligence brought by the changelings, they have a better idea where Orion's and Naiad's armies are, and they are close. The ponies, Velvet, and Velvet's entourage are in thestral-made armor ready to make a dash for the border. Wuggles, the name Velvet gave the changeling Del assigned to her, is decorated with ribbons around his horn and through the holes in his leg, and he is wearing a bow tie. His colleagues laugh at his appearance.

Wuggles stands resolutely, though he is blushing. “I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds…” he mumbles to lift his spirits.

“Now that we are all here,” Seto snorts, “we can get this mission underway. Listen up, because this the last time we speak before all Hel breaks loose.”

A changeling queen with scraggly yellow hair and light orange chitin lounges on a rock listening to reports from her drones. She orders them deeper into Deerope, taking advantage of the unrest. A lone drone pushes through the others.

“Queen Naiad! Urgent news!”

Naiad rolls her eyes. “This had better be important. ”

“Very! One of our patrols has been captured! They request your immediate assistance!”

“Boo hoo. Do I have to solve all of your problems for you?”

“But it was Orion's main force that beset them. Not far from here.”

“Orion! This close!” Naiad stands and shouts. “Gather all the forces! We'll teach that impudent fawn who his real queen is!” She casts a spell to make armor appear around her. “Tonight we dine on royalty!”

Naiad flies off. Her hive follows, ready for action. The messenger quietly slips into the buzzing horde of changelings and disappears.

Orion and his commanders meet in camp. Two soldiers bow before the prince.

“You refuse to obey orders? Take them away! Put them with the rest of the insubordinates,” Orion commands.

“But prince, we only wished to be sent to General Athena’s command instead,” one of the soldiers begs as a guard drags him away.

“Athena is a traitor!” Orion shouts, following the prisoners out of his tent. “Allying with her is equivalent to betraying Deerope, and worthy of the same punishment she earned! If our queen didn't wish otherwise, she and all her supporters would be banished or struck down!” He faces the rest of his camp. “Am I clear!”

The rest of the camp looks down and goes about their work, trying to ignore the fuming prince.

“Sire, many of the soldiers in this region are still loyal to Athena,” one of his commanders points out. “Perhaps it would be wise not to threaten their former leader with death.”

“Et tu, Brute?”

The deer snaps to attention. “N-no, sir! I just wouldn't wish you to be harmed if the situation were reversed.”

Orion glares at his officer. Loud noises come from the camp. A scout plows through everydeer, making a beeline for Orion. The scout skids to a stop, bowing to the prince.

“Dreadful news! Naiad has been spotted attacking villages to the east! The rest of my party is subduing one of her drones so we can find her hive for you to crush.”

“When it rains…” Orion grumbles. “All troops, suit up! Suspend the search for the ponies! Seems democracy wasn't the only thing Athena was spreading without the Queen's permission!” He turns to his officer. “Inform any of our former soldiers that they may regain their commission by joining us on the front lines and fighting like a true deer.”

The officer nods and gallops away.

Orion hastily returns to his tent and arms himself. “I'll avenge you this time, Eos…”

The prince rushes to join his gathering army. The scout silently slinks to the back of the camp.

“Happy hunting~” the scout wishes, revealing a fang.

A pair of Deeropean soldiers chase a pair of changelings through a village. Civilians watch the action from inside their homes and businesses. The soldiers split and try catching the changelings in a pincer maneuver, but the changelings fly over them. A third soldier fires arrows at the changelings, driving them back down. The deer on the ground leap when their prey is in range and knock them to the pavement with well-placed antler blows. The soldiers pin the changelings to the ground, draw spears, and stab the hissing creatures.

Off in the distance, a loud buzzing is heard. Naiad leads a swarm of changelings onto the town. The soldiers scatter to avoid being attacked.

“Avenge your fallen brethren!” Naiad commands. “Kill everydeer you see! The streets will be bathed in blood!”

The deer panic and seal their homes from the changeling invasion. Naiad steps over to the fallen changelings, but an arrow nearly hits her before she can inspect the body. More arrows drive the changelings from the streets.

“Archers! Provide nonstop covering fire until you run out of arrows!” Orion commands. “Once you are spent, join us for true glory!”

The prince lowers a spear and charges forward. He bounds past his footsoldiers and leads the charge into the village. Naiad gathers her changelings into the shadows. They ambush the deer at every intersection and building as the town becomes a battlefield. In the middle of the chaos, Orion and Naiad seek each other out.

“... And while that is going on, you” -- Seto motions to Velvet and the ponies -- “will make your way to the border. The armor should cloak you from any conflicts you encounter along the way.”

“Roshambo to determine who gets eaten by Naiad!” a changeling calls.

“Hopefully, some of the magic blockers will be destroyed or shut down in the fighting,” Seto tells the ponies as they head to the door.

“Otherwise, we could just have the boy nuke them again,” Night Light suggests.

“I'm not mom,” Starlight complains.

The party reaches the door and starts activating their cloaks.

“Vuggles,” Velvet says, “don't die.”

As Velvet taps her jewel and disappears, the changeling salutes his master before he transforms into a Deeropean soldier.

The border crossing between Deerope and the Commonwealth of Rein is packed with deer, reindeer, and thestrals trying to flee the all-out war between Orion and Naiad. The fighting has gone on for hours and spread across the Eastern Deeropean border, causing civilians to flee to the north. The Deeropean border guards attempt to hold back the hordes and process each migrant individually. The reindeer on the other side of the border pace or buck impatiently, their checkpoints raised to get everydeer through as quickly as possible. A commotion starts at the back of the mass of deer and makes its way through to the front. Most of the deer back away in terror as Del escorts Velvet to the front of the line. The Deeropean guards ready their weapons.

“Put zose away!” Velvet commands. “Ve vish to see zose as much as vhat zey are compensating for.”

“Back of the line,” a guard growls. “We have our orders, and currently one is to kill that thing.”

“You harm one hair on her head, and I scream for ze nice guards behind you to run you zrough. Now, schtand aside and let us pass.” She motions to the horde behind her. “All of us.”

“Ma'am if you don't…”

“Do you know who I am! I am ze Deputy Foreign Minister of ze Commonwealth of Rein. Zose guards behind you are sworn to defend me as much as you are sworn to defend your Deerope. Now get your butt out zeir and fight zat nasty Skogsrå instead of fighting your own citizens and let us pass!”

“Is there a problem, Minister Velvet?” a reindeer asks from behind the deer she is shouting at.

The deer look behind them. More reindeer are surrounding the border.

“Don't worry. We got this,” the reindeer grunts.

“O-Orion does need backup…” one of the Deeropean guards suggests.

The others nod. They abandon their posts and rush to join the fight against Naiad. The reindeer knock over the barricades the deer had erected and usher the migrants through. Velvet happily prances across the border with Del by her side. She leads the changeling to a nearby government building. Inside, reindeer, thestrals, ponies, and even a griffin watch the border being overrun.

“Ve're safe!” Velvet declares over the chaos outside.

The rest of the ponies decloak around Velvet and Del. The gathered officials breathe easy seeing the Sparkle family appear. They congratulate the ponies on making it to safety. Velvet gives Del a big hug, then another one in celebration. Del drags the reindeer with her as she goes to a chair and collapses.

Alba watches out a window. “As much as I want to help them right now, I need food first.”

“Agreed,” Night Light says, stripping the thestral armor.

Starlight lets out a small snore, having fallen asleep while shaking hooves with officials.

“So, who is going to explain this to mom?” Del asks.

Starlight snaps awake. Every member of his family look at each other nervously.

“Not it!” they all declare in unison.

After a long day of fighting, Orion's forces finally started driving back Naiad's invasion. The prince had been forced to retreat to Athena's fortress to regroup after sustaining an injury while personally fighting Naiad. It is believed that the routing of the invasion came when Athena assumed command while Orion was sedated and called in air support from the Griffin Empire as well as additional troops from the reindeer and thestrals. The griffins also supplied another airship, but this time to carry the Sparkle family back home. Velvet literally had a hard time letting go of her new friend, but the ponies were happy to leave, with plenty of support from their new allies.

Starlight stares enviously at Del as she comes out of her private cabin. “Lucky…” he mopes.

“What do you mean?” his sister snorts. “I had to spend an entire day shopping and trying on dresses with Velvet because she insisted I bring back souvenirs.”

“You don't have to rub it in!”

Alba watches the continents slowly pass below the airship. “I will never get over the fact that I'm actually riding in a griffin airship.”

“THAT is what you can't get over from this trip?!” Del gapes.

Her little sister shrugs. “Pretty much.”

“Not the almost dying, running from the army, all the subterfuge, even starting a war just so we can cross an imaginary line between nations?!”

Alba stretches out and looks out the window again. “That stuff is boring the second time around.”

Del groans and leaves to find food.

“Don't even think about it,” Night Light warns before Starlight can sneak into his sister's room. “If you can hold off until we get home, I'll get you every costume you want when we go to Whinny World.”

Starlight cheers and tackles his grandfather in a hug. “Yay! This has been the best vacation ever!”

Night Light groans and tries freeing himself. “Mental note: never go to an award ceremony for my grandkids ever again.”

Days later. At the Deerope-Rein border, the reindeer have assumed full guard duty for both nations while Deerope tries cleaning up after the invasion. A lone, dark figure, clearly a changeling, approaches the outpost. The reindeer ready their weapons. As the changeling gets nearer, he can be seen wearing a bow tie and is covered with ribbons. He calmly trots up to the guards.

“...”

“...”

“... Here for Velvet?”

“... Yeah…”

The guards let Wuggles pass. He is one step across the border when he is hit in the back of the head.

“Vhere have you been! Ve needed you help shopping days ago!” Velvet yells.

“I was busy trying not to die…”

“Enh! Ve have much to do. Hurry along, Vuggles!”

Wuggles groans and follows his new master away.

Author's Note:

Title is a reference to Muppets Most Wanted, only with less Ricky Gervais and more ponies.

Character Note: Pallas and Diana are named after Greek and Roman goddesses respectively. Pallas was essentially a foster sister and warrior who served with Athena. Diana is the Roman version of Artemis. I didn't want the link to Artemis, but I needed a "woodsy/natury" name that was also kind cool. None of the other nature goddesses fit. Other names considered were Nike (another Athena connection) and Flora (when I decided to make her an Everfree deer instead of Deeropean).

Velvet is based on the Them's Fighting Herds character of the same name. (Big surprise which one of them I like the most.) My editor and I tried matching her speech patterns to the little back story on her character page, making her sound a little German in the process, and throw in some Swedish flare in regards to her culture drops, but I have no idea how it turned out and don't like how it looks despite loving writing everything she says. I apologize for offending every German and Swede with this poor copy of their greatness.

Story Timeline: Takes place at the same time as the next chapter.

Night Light Note: In case the story never gets finished, here is a brief synopsis of his adventure with Daring Do:
It was his first mission after becoming a special operative. He was sent to Saddle Arabia to investigate a Tirek cult. Daring was there for the same reason. After clashing for a bit, they agreed to work together when Daring promised to tell Night Light how he could win Twilight Velvet back. (They were fighting because Night Light had hooked up with human Celestia in his previous adventure.) They find a temple run by followers of Scorpan, and learn that a Nightmare Moon cult was manipulating the Tirek followers into using artefacts from Ancient Anugypt to free her from the moon. Night Light and Daring crush the plan and reclaim the artefacts to be sealed up. Before they part ways, Daring gives Night Light a note. He gives it to Twilight Velvet upon his return to Canterlot. After reading the secret ("Daring Do is awesome!!!!"), she laughs and gives her future husband a second chance.

PreviousChapters Next