• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Starlight’s Radiance

Main Characters: Starlight, Alba
Cameos: Apple Bloom, Rei, Night Light, Twilight Velvet, Celestia, Luna
Original Start Date: June 23, 2013


Starlight and Apple Bloom cuddle in bed together after some late night fun. The lovers nuzzle and exchange kisses. Apple Bloom snuggles in close to her coltfriend. Suddenly, a bright flash fills the room, followed by a loud crack. The young adults scream in terror. It takes a few seconds for them to get their wits. A lavender alicorn stands at the foot of their bed.

‘Mom?!’ Starlight gapes. ‘This isn’t what it looks like! I mean, it is, but... Apple Bloom and I are old enough and in love! We’re allowed to do what we want with each other! You are the one being a pervert this time!’

‘What do ya mean “this time”?’ Apple Bloom snorts.

‘There wasn’t an incident involving me alone in my room on the TARDIS with a picture of you from that beach trip you took with your friends three years ago.’

‘Ya and Ah are gonna have a very long talk later.’

The visitor groans and sways. ‘What are you talking about? Where am I? Why did you call me “mom”?

Starlight gets up. The visitor is a lavender alicorn like his mother, but her mane lacks the pink streak and her cutie mark is different. She looks younger than Del.

‘Who are you?’ the young stallion asks.

The alicorn blinks and takes in the other ponies in the room. ‘Apple Bl-’

She faints. Starlight dives to catch her, but she falls straight through him.

‘Okay. This is getting wacky.’

The mysterious mare moans as she regains consciousness. She looks straight into Starlight’s face and grimaces. The young stallion smiles.

‘Sup?’ Starlight greets.

‘What’s going on? Where am I?’

‘Let’s see...’ Starlight thinks. ‘I am still analyzing what happened, but you are in Ponyville Library. Specifically, our bedroom in the library.’

‘Ponyville... Twilight Sparkle! Is she here?’

Starlight grins. ‘Better. I am.’

The visitor grimaces again. ‘Who are you and why does that feel me with dread?’

The unicorn poses. ‘I am Starlight Clarke Sparkle, the greatest unicorn to ever live.’ -- he covers his mouth -- ‘Not counting my mother when she was still a unicorn.’

‘Your mother?’

‘Are you insulting me or seriously asking? You mentioned her earlier.’ He shrugs. ‘Not to mention, you look like her.’

The alicorn shudders. ‘How can somepony like you be related to Twilight Sparkle?’

Starlight tenses up. ‘I don’t like talking about it.

‘Not like that. Ugh. I am so killing Helios for this idea...’

‘Helios... Why does that name sound familiar?’

The alicorn takes a deep breath and releases it. ‘Listen, if you really are related to Twilight Sparkle, you might be of some use. I am looking for a pony named Full Moon. She also goes by Rei.’

A light goes off in Starlight’s head. ‘Oh, I know! You must be Alba! … You’re a lot taller than I thought.’ He shrugs. ‘I guess that is because she remembers you as a filly.’

‘How do you know me!’ Alba accuses. ‘What do you know about Rei?’

‘Calm down. Calm down. We’ll go in the morning. She’s probably sleeping.’

‘Take me to her! NOW!’

Alba tries grabbing Starlight, but she falls right through him. She looks up at the unicorn and growls before standing. Hearing a laugh from the bed, she notices Apple Bloom watching them. The princess gasps.

‘Apple Bloom! What are you doing here?’

Apple Bloom waves. ‘Uh, hey. Ah, uh, sorta live here.’

Alba taps her head. ‘Right. Different universe.’ She shudders. ‘And you’re with him?’

‘Starlight ain’t that bad. Ya jus’ have t’ get t’ know him.’

‘Not if I get out of here before then...’ Alba takes a deep breath. ‘Listen. Just get me to Rei, and I’ll find a way home afterward. Hopefully, it will be like for Apple...’

Starlight yawns. ‘Can it wait until morning? I am still pretty beat from earlier. Not to mention all the craziness with your arrival.’

‘Beat? What can the two of you been doing this late that can wear you out?’

The lovers blush and look away.

‘Oh!’ Alba realizes. ‘I think I’m going to be sick. Just point me to the exit, and I’ll show myself out.’

Alba finds the nearest door and trots away. Before she can get too far, a force stops her. She keeps trying to leave, but she is stopped. Starlight takes a step back. Alba is pulled with him. She turns back.

‘No. I refuse to believe that,’ the princess seethes.

‘Believe what?’ Apple Bloom asks.

Starlight smiles and hops into bed. Alba tumbles across the floor.

‘She seems to be linked to me,’ the stallion reports. ‘Looks like we’ll be seeing my sister tomorrow.’

‘Your sister?’

‘Goodnight, Alba!’ Starlight calls as he cuddles Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom sighs and cuddles her coltfriend. Alba looks up at the couple, growls and tries to sleep.

Alba wakes to the sound of a pony eating breakfast very noisily. She covers her ears.

‘Helios, can’t you eat in your own room?’

‘Two problems,’ Starlight replies. ‘I’m not Helios, and we are not in my room.’

Alba’s eyes snap open. Starlight eats his breakfast in the kitchen. The unicorn smiles at his guest. The princess snorts and looks around. She is seated at a small table. A plate of toast is in front of her.

‘Don’t know if you can eat,’ Starlight says, ‘but I was able to levitate you down here. I don’t think you have a physical form. It is more of a magical residue, but still...’

Starlight raises a spoonful of cereal. He flicks it across the table. Alba screams and rises her hooves. The food passes through her, but it slows as it does. The young mare growls at her host.

‘I haven’t quite figured it out, but it seems like there is an instability in your quantum structure with some bleed through of your magical and psychic signatures.’

‘How do you know all of that?’

‘Well, I am a genius. Half Time Lord, half princess. All awesome!’ He poses dramatically then takes a bite of cereal. ‘Don’t tell anyone the “half princess” part.’

‘I would post it all over the internet if I could.’

Starlight empties the rest of his bowl into his mouth. ‘Feel free to take that with you. You can explain what you are doing here on the way to Rei’s shop.’

‘Rei has a shop?’

‘Best import shop in town. Only import shop in town. You know. That joke works better on ponies who don’t stare at me like they want to kill me.’

Alba growls and stands up. ‘Listen, once the quantum magical feedback pulls me back to my world, I am going to magically rewrite all my memories of you.’

‘Fair enough. Let’s get going.’

Starlight trots away. The force connecting him to Alba pulls the young mare behind him. She stands and catches up to the stallion. Nopony in town pays attention to the new alicorn trotting through town. Alba marvels at seeing Ponyville in a functioning state.

‘Mr Annoying, or whatever they call you, what do you do around here?’ Alba asks.

‘Call me Starlight. All my students do.’ He smiles back. ‘I teach at the schoolhouse and run an after school magic program.’

‘Your poor students.’

‘No, they are of all backgrounds. We don’t discriminate.’ He laughs. ‘I’d ask what a princess does, but my mom told me about her duties when I asked her.’

‘Princess Twilight Sparkle?’ Alba smiles. ‘That is a title she deserves.’

‘I expected you would like that. Rei told us how much you admire her.’

Alba looks away. ‘She and my father... Well, technically she is my father too...’

‘She and your father are my parents. Best parents anypony can wish for.’

The princess takes a deep breath. ‘Anyway, why aren’t you at school? Or do your students expect you to be absent?’

‘Apple Bloom and Del can cover for me.’

‘Del?’

Starlight smiles. ‘My other little sister. She’s a princess too.’

‘Other? And princess of what?’

‘Second question first, she is Queen Chrysalis’ heir. Do you have changelings where you are from? Rei never mentioned them.’

‘They live on the outskirts of the Republic. Queen Chrysalis’ aid was instrumental in saving the Republic from a griffin threat.’

‘Neato! And you are my other little sister, FYI.’

Alba shudders. ‘Don’t say that. I’d love to hear the logic behind that reasoning, but I don’t think my brain can handle the stupidity.’

‘You are Rei’s little sister. Rei is my sister. You are younger than me. You are my little sister. QED.’

The princess cringes as if in pain. ‘That actually makes sense. Don’t ever call me your little sister again.’

‘Now you sound like my little brother.’

Alba thinks. ‘Yes, Helios would like you as much as I do.’

‘I meant Satsuma, and he came around... after I beat him up a little.’

‘Yes, I think I can agree with that feeling too.’

Starlight laughs and opens a door. ‘Rei! I have special guest for you!’

Scootaloo covers her ears while Starlight yells. Rei looks up from a display at the back of the shop. She bounds over and hugs her brother.

‘I love special visits from my little brother!’

‘Actually, I meant her.’

Starlight nods behind him. Rei looks and sees Alba. She gasps. Rei leaps and passes through her taller little sister.

‘Alba-tan!’ Rei cheers as she stands up.

Alba chokes back tears. ‘Hi, Full Moon.’

‘Oh, you can call me Rei.’ She smiles at her sister. ‘My little sister grew up to be so beautiful.’ She gasps again. ‘I have to take you to see mommy!’

‘Yes, I do believe your world’s version of our mother would be able to help me.’

‘Not Luna-hime, Fluttershy. She will be so excited to see more of my family. She missed Apple last time.’

‘F-F-Fluttershy? Is everypony..?’

Rei nods. ‘Everypony is alive and well. Well, maybe not too well in Pinkie's case, but that is just because she is making us a little brother or sister.’

Alba is confused. ‘Wait. He said his parents were, uh, Twilight and dad, and that you are his sister, so how does Pinkie fit into this?’

‘Page one-thirty-seven,’ Starlight answers.

‘Oh, that is totes a great page,’ Scootaloo comments.

‘I wouldn’t know,’ the others growl.

Rei huffs at her assistant and turns back to her sister. ‘What are you doing here? Did you hit your head too?’

‘I might as well have...’ the princess grumbles. She shakes her head. ‘Helios wanted me to try out a new spell he found to try and contact you.’

‘Why you?’ Starlight asks.

‘I’m the Element of Friendship/Magic. Do try to keep up.’

‘You’re the Element of Friendship!’ Rei squeals. ‘Just like Hikari-chan!’

‘She means my mom,’ Starlight translates.

‘I know.’ Alba takes a deep breath and snorts. ‘The spell Helios found said it was for contacting other worlds. He had me use one of your old dolls as the object to focus on to create the bridge. I don’t know what went right or wrong with the spell, but I ended up here.’ She glares at Starlight. ‘Somehow connected to him.’

Starlight bats a hoof. ‘I knew I was good, but I didn’t know I could rip a hole in the universe.’

Rei and Alba give the stallion a disgusted look. Scootaloo gives him a hoofbump.

‘Anyway,’ Alba grunts, ‘I have no idea why I’m stuck here without a physical form, nor do I know how to get back.’

‘Ask Starlight,’ Rei suggests. ‘He knows as much magic as Hikari-chan.’

The princess shudders. ‘That is one possibility. Maybe mom can help.’


Alba squeaks, ‘I’d meet Twilight Sparkle?’

‘We’ll get mom to help only if I can’t find a solution,’ Starlight snorts. He trots to the door. ‘Come on. We have a lot of work to do.’

Alba groans. She and Rei exchange the best hug they can manage before the younger sister follows Starlight away. She looks back and waves before her connection to Starlight drags her away. Rei smiles and wipes some tears.

‘Hope she can come again,’ Scootaloo says. ‘You have an awesome little sister.’

The younger pegasus screams as Rei jumps over the counter to give her a hug.

Starlight and Alba ride a train to Canterlot. The unicorn levitates several books around him. Alba tries avoiding all the stares she is getting.

‘I still don’t see why I had to buy a ticket for a ghost,’ Starlight grumbles. ‘I put my leg through you and everything.’

‘At least you weren’t the one accused of being a tulpa just to save on train fare,’ the princess snorts.

Starlight waves a hoof through Alba’s head. ‘Somepony else can use this seat! It doesn’t make sense to waste space like this! My mom would have literally exploded!’

Alba tries batting away the hoof. ‘Really?’ she snorts comically.

She did once before.

The princess laughs. ‘I really do wish I could meet her.’ She catches Starlight’s hoof and pushes it away. ‘Stop that!’

The unicorn stares at their hooves together. ‘How did you do that?’

‘I don’t know. I guess I just focused really hard.’

Starlight looks at Alba and studies her closely. The young mare blushes. The young stallion looks into her eyes.

‘Alba...’

‘What?’

‘I really wish I asked my dad for a sonic at some point in my life.’ He turns back to his floating books. ‘Damn causality preventing me from getting one to temporal-mechanically appear right now.’

Alba leans back. ‘Causality is what is preventing my dad and brother from saving Rei in the first place.’ She sighs. ‘I saw the timetable in the station. You are several years behind us.’

‘We know. Rei told us.’

‘But how the hell does that work! Rei gets sent from a certain point in our timeline to a certain point in your timeline! A few months later, Apple’s psychic consciousness appears here at a certain point in time. Even I am sent to this place at this time. Why!’

‘Have you asked Derpy?’

‘Huh?’

‘She used to deliver mail to Rei when my dad still lived here. Not to mention, you had that whole Discord genocide thing.’

‘You have Discord too.’

‘And we’ll probably meet him.’

‘WHAT!’

Everypony in the car looks at the princess.

‘Calm down. He is reformed.’

Alba seethes. ‘After the Elements were reunited, he was freed by the griffins. We reformed him too. As much as a lying monster can be reformed.’

‘You have nothing to worry from our Discord. Fluttershy keeps him in line. Though, he does pal around with dad a bit.’ He shrugs. ‘Makes sense since they are the same pony-ish being.’

‘They are NOT the same. Our father is kind and caring. Discord is a heartless monster. Whoever’s idea it was to free him should be locked up.’

‘You can tell that to Celestia when we meet with her and Luna.’

‘Cele..?!’ Alba breathes. ‘Right. Different world.’ She takes a few more breaths. ‘A different (safer) world.’

‘Half princess, half Time Lord,’ Starlight states. ‘I’ll pretend you aren’t thinking something you’re not willing to discuss with me.’

Alba frowns for a second then smiles at Starlight. ‘Thanks.’

‘What are big brothers for?’

The young mare shudders, getting a laugh from the stallion. She snorts and watches the scenery pass for the rest of the trip.

Twilight Velvet answers the front door. Alba grins nervously and waves on the other side.

‘Twilight!’ Velvet shouts. She instantly frowns. ‘You got younger than me again. Great.’

Alba stares back, not knowing how to react. The older mare examines the visitor closely. She smiles.

‘Sorry for mistaking you. You are taller and thinner than my daughter. The cutie mark is all wrong. Also, her mane is a lot less messy.’

Alba gasps. ‘My mane is messing up!’ She tries flattening it out again. ‘It always does that after a couple days...’

‘Starlight, you can come out of hiding,’ Velvet calls.

Starlight snickers as he trots from behind a bush. Alba growls at him as she fusses with her mane. Velvet gives her grandson a hug.

‘So this is the surprise you had for us? She’s a pretty good likeness of your mother.’

‘There is one major difference, though.’

‘Oh?’

Starlight puts a hoof through Alba. ‘She’s nowhere near as cuddly.’

Velvet giggles. ‘I can see where that would be a problem.’

Alba pushes the stallion away. ‘I really wish you would stop doing that.’

The older mare laughs again. ‘Come on in. Your grandfather just finished making dinner.’

Velvet leads the younger ponies through the house.

‘Technically, he is your grandfather too,’ Starlight whispers to Alba.

‘I know that,’ the princess hisses.

‘Did you ever meet them?’

Alba looks away. ‘They were killed at the wedding. A lot of ponies were killed at the wedding.’

‘Damn... Well, if it is any consolation, my existence proves how awesome a pairing they would have made.’

‘That is one way of looking at it...’

Velvet laughs at the younger ponies. They reach the dining room where Night Light is setting out dinner. He takes one look at the guests and sits down.

‘Mane’s all wrong,’ the older stallion comments.

‘Still!’ Alba goes back to fixing her mane.

Night Light sighs as he starts eating. ‘So, you’re an interdimensional transference trapped between worlds that is somehow bonded to Starlight,’ he says to Alba. ‘How’s that working out for you?’

‘How did you know?’ She glares at Starlight. ‘You told them?’

‘Little missy, I’ve seen all sorts of weird things in my life. The weirdest is either the colt you trotted in here with or his father.’

‘Technically, he is her father too,’ Starlight points out.

‘Really?’ Night Light raises an eyebrow. ‘But she seems so normal.’

‘It’s true. She’s as obsessed with mom as he is and everything.’

‘Hmm. Everypony needs a flaw.’

Alba stands and slams the table. ‘How is honoring the great Twilight Sparkle a bad thing!’

Night Light turns to Starlight. ‘Is the temper from him or her?’

The princess growls and turns away. The stallions snicker. Velvet snorts at both of them.

‘Alba, wake up,’ Starlight groans.

‘Don’t wanna.’

‘We have to find a way to get you home.’

The young mare grumbles and balls up.

‘You’re drooling on me.’

‘One, I’m a princess. I don’t drool. Two, I’m virtually incorporeal. There is no way I would touch you.’

The princess is bonked on the head. She opens her eyes and looks straight into Starlight’s face. The young stallion smiles. Alba screams and slaps him.

‘PERVERT!’

‘Okay. That hurt. And you’re the one sleeping on me.’

Alba looks down. She is is stretched out on top of Starlight. She closes her eyes as a scream builds up.

‘Oh, carp. I know that look.’

Starlight stumbles out of bed and gallops away. Alba screams at the top of her lungs, the effect being enhanced by the Royal Canterlot Voice.

Across the city, Celestia and Luna eat breakfast together. ‘Sounds like our guests are awake,’ Celestia comments calmly.

The princesses and Starlight trot back and forth through the palace library. Alba watches them from a bench at the center of the room. Every time the researchers pass, they are reading a new book or scroll.

‘Quite an interesting problem indeed,’ Celestia comments. ‘We have never had the case of somepony trapped between dimensions before.’

‘Weirder still...’ Starlight adds. He tosses a book in Alba’s direction.

The young princess screams and catches the projectile with her magic. She growls at the stallion.

‘Odd how she is not fully integrated nor is she returning to her world,’ Celestia notes. ‘She has been here for two days now, correct?’

‘Yes, I have been stuck with this fool for the past two days,’ Alba huffs. ‘Seeing my sister and mother has been nice, but I would love to return home.’

Celestia sits with the younger princess. ‘Dimensional crossings are rare, but I have encountered them a number of times. Though, we have never had another alicorn cross in this manner. I believe that might be what is keeping you from fully crossing.’

‘But I don’t want to cross!’ Alba argues. ‘I have a life back home! I have to get home!’ She closes her eyes and takes a few deep breaths. ‘This world is great. It is nice and peaceful. I would love to see more, but there is something really important I need to take care of.’

Celestia tries patting the young mare on the back, but her hoof passes through her. ‘We understand that your family has been trying to find a way to bring Rei back to you. If there were a way to permanently reunite you...’

‘It is not just that. There are other things...’

‘It is all right. We will find a way to return you home.’

Luna trots up. ‘I believe I have found something. An old spell of Star Swirl’s for crossing to other worlds, but it has some unusual requirements’

‘What does it call for?’ Celestia asks.

Luna raises the book and reads. ‘By uniting the Symbols of Grace with the Harmonious Eye, a gateway to another world will be opened. Once you enter, you shall not return. Be warned: chaos will follow.’

‘That is not the spell we found,’ Alba says. ‘It does sound like a strange one. Symbols of Grace and Harmonious Eye? I have never heard of those before.’

‘Simple,’ Starlight replies as he sets a scroll on the table. ‘You have to sacrifice the Elements of Harmony and a TARDIS for a one-way trip to another dimension. The chaos likely refers to the fact you are destroying a TARDIS to punch a hole to another universe. Probably not good for those on the receiving end too.’

‘How do you know that’s what it says?’ Luna asks.

‘The power source for a TARDIS is called the Eye of Harmony. Symbols of Grace most likely refers to the Elements of Harmony. It would make sense that you would need the most advanced technological and magical objects to ever exist in order to create a portal to another universe. The outcome is just an assumption because you are powering a hole-to-another-universe generator with a TARDIS!’

Alba pouts. ‘So that option is out. I don’t want to be responsible for the loss of your universe too...’

The princesses look at Alba questioningly.

‘No need to worry, little sis. I found the solution to your little entrapment problem,’ Starlight boasts. ‘See if this spell is familiar.’

Starlight unfurls the scroll he brought. Alba starts reading. Her eyes go wide with excitement.

‘This is it! This is Helios’ spell!’

‘Told you I am awesome,’ Starlight brags.

Alba frowns. ‘I don’t know how I am going to cast this in my condition...’

‘Don’t worry,’ the stallion assures. ‘We have three of the best magic users in Equestria here to help.’

‘Right! And you’re here too!’

Alba giggles as Starlight growls at her. The princesses laugh.

Celestia studies the spell. ‘Miss Alba, if you are ready, I believe we can send you back.’

‘This doesn’t seem too complicated,’ Luna agrees.

Alba takes a deep breath and nods. ‘I am ready. It is best that I go as soon as possible lest I get permanently stuck here.’

The princesses and Starlight clear the room of books and furniture. Alba takes her place at the center.

‘Starlight,’ Alba calls. ‘If I ever come back, I look forward to seeing you again.’

‘Thanks, little sis.’

The young mare grimaces. ‘Please don’t call me that again, big bro.’

The unicorn winks and powers a spell on his horn. The princesses charge the spell as well. Alba stands ready as the magic wraps around her. Her body glows and energy swirls around her. The casters step back as the magical energy in the room grows. There is a bright flash and a loud crack as Alba disappears. Papers fly everywhere and books fall off the shelves as the energy dissipates. The princesses pick themselves up from under piles of books. Starlight lowers a shield and brushes himself off.

‘That was fun!’ the young stallion cheers. He looks around. ‘Hey, I have a fillyfriend who can take care of this. Let’s go to lunch!’

The princesses grumble and look at each other. They smirk. Celestia levitates a necklace around herself. Luna puts on a pair of glasses.

‘I believe that is a great idea. Right, Selene?’ Amy states.

‘Agreed, Amy,’ Selene replies.

The three ponies trot off together. Amy takes a deep breath.

‘One thing bothers me though,’ Amy worries. ‘Alba seemed to be worried about something back home. I hope everything is okay.’

‘You know they are all worried about Rei back there,’ Starlight says. ‘It was probably just that.’

‘You may be right, young Starlight,’ Selene responds. ‘Though the way she talked...’

‘It will be fine!’ Starlight assures. ‘Come on! Our weight in hay fries await!’

The mares sigh and follow the stallion to lunch.

A loud crack fills Alba’s magic room. James, Luna, Helios, Corona and Razzly gallop to investigate. Alba lays on the floor, moaning. Her family goes to her.

‘Alba! What happened? Where were you?’ James cries, cradling his daughter.

The young mare nuzzles her father’s chest. She turns to Helios. ‘You are in big trouble for what you made me do!’

The prince shrinks away.

‘He told us,’ Luna says. ‘We are dealing with him appropriately.’

Razzly hugs her friend. ‘We were so worried. We thought you were gone for good.’

‘Not quite. I was still tied to this world no matter how hard the other one pulled. The spell was not meant to be used on an alicorn, proving my theory, Helios.’

The prince keeps backing away in shame.

‘But where were you?’ James asks. ‘Did... did you see her?’

Alba nods. ‘She is fine.’ She smiles. ‘Also, I think I found a solution to our problem.’

Author's Note:

RoH Crossover: Alba almost crosses to the other universe. She mentions finding a potential solution to her world's problem...

Story Note: The chapter title is a play on Twilight's Shadow, where Alba earned her Element of Friendship/Magic.

Story Event: Here we go! The first (direct) crossover with RoH. Alba gets to see what life would be like if Twilight Sparkle wasn't killed at her wedding. She also gets to see her sister again and get to know Starlight a bit. This could be the start of something huge.

PreviousChapters Next