• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
Sweet Tempo

Main Characters: Sweetie Belle, Tempest
Cameos: Lyra, Rarity, Octavia, Moon Glow, Image
Original Start Date: March 8, 2015


Sweetie Belle sits in her afternoon advanced music theory class, bored. She stares out of the window, watching pegasi fly about over her school and the rest of Canterlot. She sighs as Lyra enters the classroom to begin her lecture. The older unicorn settles her class.

‘I know we were going to discuss the (sadly) short-lived postmodern folk fusion movement this week,’ the lime unicorn announces, ‘but we have a special treat in store.’ The students murmur. ‘A special guest instructor has arrived and will be giving a series of lectures and even some recitals of a rarely encountered musical genre.’ She looks towards the door. ‘Miss Tempest, if you would like to join us.’

The students gasp in awe as the new instructor enters the classroom. Sweetie stares in amazement at what she sees. An earth pony pushes a tank of water to the front of the class. In the tank, a seapony leans over the side, taking in the class, her iridescent scales shimmering in the light and her long red hair shining like rubies. She rests her foreleg-like forward pectoral fins (or are they fin-like forelegs) on the edge of the tank while wing-like back pectoral fins rest in the water. With her horn, she looks like a very fishy alicorn princess.

‘Greetings. I am Tempest,’ the seapony introduces, bowing slightly. ‘I will be your new instructor during my stay in your lovely city. I will be teaching you about seapony music and culture as well as demonstrating our love for singing.’ She takes in the class. ‘I am sure you have all heard legends of sirens or kelpies using their singing magic to lure ponies to do their bidding. Fortunately, I do not have the specialized gems required for such a task. You will be free from my control.’ She smiles coyly. ‘That is, unless you fall for my charms.’ She laughs. ‘Now, any questions before we begin?’

Nearly every student raises a hoof or shouts out their questions. Sweetie sighs and watches her new teacher.

Students file out of the classroom, talking about the guest teacher. Lyra and Tempest discuss the lecture at the head of the class. Before she can leave, Sweetie is caught by Lyra's magic.

‘Sweetie Belle! Can we have a word with you?’ her instructor calls.

The young made groans and trots to the front of the class. ‘Yes, Miss Heartstrings?’

Tempest uses her magic to pull over a wheelchair and starts climbing out of her tank.

‘Miss Heartstrings is my dad's name. You know you can call me Lyra.’

‘What?’ Sweetie replies flatly, missing the joke.

‘What?’ Lyra jumps a bit, as if shocked, then calmly rolls her eyes. ‘Anywho! I'd like you to show Tempest here around the city a little.’

‘Why me?’ the younger unicorn huffs.

‘For one, you have a lot in common. You just need to get to know each other.’

Tempest gets herself settled in the wheelchair and tests it out a bit.

‘Also, we hired your sister to make her some special magic dresses, so you are both going to the same place anyway.’

Tempest adjusts her fishy bum in her wheelchair. She extends a fin-hoof to Sweetie. ‘Thank you for your help, Miss Belle. I can't wait to get to know you.’

Sweetie takes the fin. ‘Uh, likewise?’

‘Oh, you're much more friendly than that!’ Lyra encourages.

‘Sorry. I'm just a little weirded out.’

Lyra frowns. ‘Just make sure you get her to Rarity's soon. We don't want our guest to be left high and dry.’

‘Good idea,’ Tempest agrees. She wheels herself forward. ‘I am a little uneasy with this thing, so we better hurry.’ She stops at the door. ‘Unless you plan on letting me bathe in every fountain along the way.’

‘Before you go, want to see all the pictures I took of my son since yesterday?’ Lyra asks.

Sweetie groans and leads Tempest from the classroom. They travel through the halls together, getting many stares and comments from the other students. Behind them, Lyra finds a random student to whom she can brag about her son. Tempest does her best to keep up as Sweetie rushes ahead.

Outside of the building, Sweetie hurries for the gate, but she is stopped. Tempest releases her from her magic when she catches up.

‘I know we joked about rushing,’ the seapony pants, ‘but there should be time if we travel at a more leisurely pace.’

‘Sorry. I just wanted to get you to my sister as fast as possible.’

Tempest nods as she wheels herself beside her guide. ‘Understandable. I am excited to see Rarity again too.’

‘You know my sister?’

‘We met once before,’ Tempest explains. ‘We fought beside each other against the fiend Orthros.’ She frowns. ‘Well, we stood by and watched as Miss Octavia disemboweled it.’

Sweetie nods knowingly. ‘That sounds just like her. Did it call her short?’

Tempest laughs. ‘You know it!’

They laugh as Sweetie leads the way to her sister's shop.

Sweetie and Tempest arrive at Rarity's shop in no time. Along the way, the two ponies exchange their stories of the adventures they had surrounding The Master's attack. Tempest is surprised to hear about the strange creature Sweetie and friends battled.

‘Rarity! I'm home!’ her little sister declares, leading Tempest into the shop.

‘Sweetie Belle, show some decorum,’ her sister scolds, trotting from a backroom while working on some hemming. ‘I could have been with a customer. More to the point, we have a very special guest coming over, so be on your best...’

‘Yeah. I know. I brought her.’

Rarity lowers her work. She squeals with delight when she sees Tempest. ‘Tempest, darling! It is so wonderful to see you again! It has been too long!’

‘It is truly a pleasure, Rarity,’ the seapony replies, half bowing. ‘I am just glad there are no large purple monsters around that we have to vanquish.’

Rarity bats a hoof. ‘Oh, just my hubby-wubby, Spiky-wiky, but he is busy helping Princess Twilight and won't be back until later.’

Tempest looks confused.

‘He's a dragon,’ the mare clarifies.

‘As long as he isn't covered in tentacles and behaves like a bad Neighponese cartoon...’

‘That's only when they ask for private time,’ Sweetie quips.

‘Sweetie Belle!’ her sister snaps.

The young mare snickers as she heads up to her room. ‘Sorry. I'm leaving. I have plans with Image.’

Rarity rolls her eyes. ‘You always have plans with Image. You should stay and entertain our guest with me. I'm sure he'll understand.’

‘Oh, I'd, uh, love to, but...’

Sweetie disappears around a corner. A second later, there is a loud thump from a nearby house.

Rarity seethes, her eye twitching. ‘The little brat escaped out the window.’ She takes a deep breath and turns to her guest. ‘Now, let's get you into your new dresses. We don't want your skin to dry up now, do we?’ She trots away. ‘Come now. Tell me everything you've been up to since we last met.’

Tempest wheels herself after Rarity, telling her all of her current events.

Sweetie Belle lays on her coltfriend's couch while he works. Despite currently doing digital art, Image Crystal has a paintbrush in his mane, brush side down, and his hooves are covered in clay. He keeps drawing and deleting the same lines on his project.

‘... I mean, I have nothing against her,’ Sweetie states. ‘It is just that the fish half is so weird.’

‘Uh huh,’ the artist replies. He turns his monitor so Sweetie can see it. ‘Does this pose look natural to you?’

Sweetie analyzes the drawing and tries contorting her body to match. ‘Looks natural, no. Possible, maybe, as long as the next scene has her chiropractor realigning her spine.’

Image groans and goes back to work. ‘Drawing superheroes has gotten less fun since I started dating somepony who does this stuff for real.’

Sweetie laughs and goes back to lounging. ‘So, what about what I was talking about?’

‘About what?’

‘Whatsherfish the seapony.’

‘Oh, right. Lady Tempest, visiting from the tropics. I think it is really cool that you get to meet her while she is here for the negotiations. She has a wonderful voice, but I'm guessing all seaponies do.’

Sweetie sits up. ‘How the hay do you know all of that?’

Image smirks. ‘Because, unlike you, my darling cutie, I pay attention to the news.’

‘I do too!’ the unicorn replies looking slightly ashamed.

‘Tabloids and gossip columns don't count.’

Sweetie frowns and looks away pouting. Her mobile rings. ‘Hello? ... Yeah, it is me. Who's this? ... Oh, uh, hey, Tempest. I was sorta just talking about you. ... Dinner? Well, uh, I'm with my col-...’

Image waves to get Sweetie's attention.

‘Excuse me.’ She covers the microphone. ‘What?’

‘You should totally go out with her,’ Image replies.

‘What? Why? What about our plans?’

‘Our plans were waiting until I was finished working then ordering pizza followed by watching a movie that we'd ignore halfway through when our making out turned into passionate love making.’

Sweetie stares back, half confused, half angry. ‘I happen to like our plans.’

‘Sweetie!’ Image begs.

The mare growls and rolls her eyes. ‘It seems I am suddenly single, so I'll be glad to join you for dinner. ... Don't say that! I have a coltfriend! ... I know what I said! So where are we meeting?’ She holds her mobile away for a moment to get a map to the restaurant. ‘Okay. See you in a bit.’ She hangs up and glares at Image. ‘Happy?’

The stallion nods. ‘Very. And while you're there, ask her if she'll model for me.’

Sweetie groans and starts dialing her mobile.

‘Calling Rarity to tell her the change in plans?’

‘Ordering you dinner now, because you'll start working again and forget to eat. I don't want to do any food play when I get back here just because you skipped dinner.’

Image grins playfully. ‘I thought you said we...’

‘I know what I said!’

Sweetie arrives at the restaurant in a fine gown, having stopped at home to pick one out and failing to realize the convenience of meeting Tempest there instead. The maitre d' shows her to the table where Tempest is waiting. Along the way, Sweetie's trained hearing allows her to overhear almost everypony around her talking about the seapony. She rolls her eyes at all of the gossipy comments.

‘Thank you for joining me,’ Tempest says as her guest sits. A translucent blue dress covers her body, keeping her hydrated with magical gems.

‘It is not like I had someone better to do,’ Sweetie replies, looking over the wine list.

‘What?’

Sweetie gives her order to the wait staff and turns her attention to her host. ‘I'm surprised you invited me and not Rarity.’

‘I invited her too, but she suggested that it just be us instead. Then when I saw her beau...’

Sweetie smiles. ‘Spike is a the best there is. He's very sweet.’

‘Yes, I gathered that, but he is barely a teen by dragon standards and bigger than my dad... Anyway, everypony says we have a lot in common, so I guess spending time with you is a good thing.’

‘Yeah, I'm getting that a lot too...’ Her drink arrives and she sips it.

‘It could mean that we're the same age, and we have... darker skills than just singing.’

‘Just because I can act a little...’

Tempest gives Sweetie a stern look. ‘You know what I mean. I joined our nation's military just to see more of the world. I almost never use the spear skills or magics they taught me, but I do get out of the capital more than if I followed a more traditional path.’

Sweetie leans back and sips her wine. ‘I really do like traveling too. I wanted to be just like Rarity when I was growing up, but I never realized how much time she spends working in her shop. I've seen all of Equestria, Canidia, Dimondia and even Mexicow thanks to my talent.’ She snickers a bit. ‘Still trying to find a way to get the school to sponsor a trip to the Carriagebean.’

‘It is very nice there,’ Tempest replies. ‘Warm water. Lots of sun. Plenty of fish. Occasional hurricanes outside of Equestrian weather zones.’ She snickers a bit. ‘Those are really fun to fly in.’

Servers arrive with salads for the young mares.

Sweetie starts eating her salad. ‘I hear you're from that area.’

Tempest shakes her head. ‘Not really. That is just where I was stationed. Daddy didn't think we'd see another kraken attack in my lifetime.’

Sweetie chokes a bit. ‘Kraken?’

‘Oh, just something an annoying old earth pony tried unleashing to get us to approve shipping lanes straight through one of our cities.’ The seapony snorts. ‘We deal with enough of your garbage, thank you very much.’

‘What about the rest of the oceans?’

Tempest eats while she thinks for a moment. ‘The northwestern part of my ocean has dragons. The other side has pirates that are constantly fighting griffins, thestrals, Deerope and all the other small nations in the area. Mom's ocean has constant ship traffic between Equestria and Neighpon, Equina, Inucheon, etcetera.’ She scowls. ‘And the less that is said about the southern ocean, the better.’

Sweetie nods, eating. ‘That sounds like a l-...’

‘Then there are the problems under the sea with the kelpies and sirens getting into mischief. I swear, if the kelpie and its water sprites got beyond the dam on their way into their breeding grounds, the can get past it on their way out without destroying anything.’

‘Oh! That happened to my hometown one time!’ Sweetie cheers. ‘Thankfully, Princess Sparkle was there to help.’

Tempest groans and tries to focus on her meal.

Sweetie eats for a bit, pondering something. ‘Wait. You're a seapony, but you said there are kelpies, like you're different. Isn't that the same thing?’

The seapony moans. ‘Ugh. I hate this. Seapony is more of a blanket term. There are a lot of aquatic creatures that are pony-like and are lumped together as "seaponies". Merponies, kelpies and sirens are some of them.’

‘I don't think I ever heard of sirens...’

‘They mostly keep to themselves after the legendary Star Swirl the Beardfish sealed a group of them in another dimension for attacking Equestria.’ She raises a glass of wine. ‘To Princess Dusk and her sacrifice to bring peace.’

Sweetie joins in the toast. Servers arrive with the diners' entrees.

After eating a bit, Tempest asks, ‘So, tell me more about yourself. You probably haven't spent your whole life singing at the academy.’

Sweetie finishes eat a bite, takes a sip of wine and smiles. ‘Let me tell you about the Cutie Mark Crusaders...’

Sweetie Belle arrives at her afternoon class excited to hear what Tempest is going to teach today. She is more than a little surprised to see Moon Glow talking with the seapony guest. Sweetie sighs and joins her friends.

‘That sounds like a wonderful idea, Miss Moon Glow,’ Tempest states. ‘I look forward to our performance later.’

Moon Glow smiles. ‘I'm glad to hear that.’ She notices Sweetie. ‘Ah! Just the mare we were talking about. How do you feel about performing tonight?’

‘Well, I wasn't re-...’

‘Because I have you booked to sing with Tempest at her recital later.’

Sweetie glares at her 'friend'. ‘And you were going to tell me this when?’

Moon Glow laughs evilly. ‘When I needed to.’

Before Sweetie can argue, Tempest takes her hoof. ‘Miss Octavia is going to lead the ensemble. This will be so much fun. I know it.’

Sweetie takes a deep breath and looks at her friends. ‘Fine. I'll do it. Just give me a copy of the music so I can prepare.’

Moon Glow gets out a few sheets of music. Sweetie takes them and finds a seat so she can review the songs. Lyra marches into the room and heads straight for the lectern.

‘Sorry, I'm late,’ the mare apologizes. ‘We can begin the lecture now. But first, who wants to see pics of my son?’

The class moans in disapproval.

‘It is going to be on the final.’

The class moans louder.

After the recital. The performers gather backstage to wind down. Moon Glow helps Octavia with her cello. Sweetie gives Tempest a water bottle to soothe her throat.

Octavia collapses on her cello case once it is packed. ‘I'm starved!’ she complains. ‘I don't care where we go as long as I get plenty of fancy food!’

‘Who wants veggie burgers!’ Vinyl Scratch asks, entering with several white and red bags. ‘Figured ya would be hungry, so I stocked up early.’

‘In-N-Out? Really?’ Octavia scoffs. ‘You do this every concert.’

‘I never hear you complaining,’ her friend retorts. She levitates a cup in front of the earth pony. ‘Neapolitan?’

Octavia glares and growls subtly as she snatches the shake. She digs in while Vinyl distributes the rest of the food. Sweetie hungrily devours her burger and shake.

‘Don't get it too soggy,’ Vinyl jokes as she give a bag of food to Tempest.

The seapony tries her first veggie burger and likes it. ‘I'm going to miss stuff like this,’ she sighs sadly.

Sweetie looks at her friend, confused.

‘You should just find some point to quibble over in the negotiations,’ Octavia suggests. ‘I'm sure the princess wouldn't mind.’

Tempest shakes her head. ‘The plans have nearly been finalized. We're just waiting to hear back from my parents for their approval.’

‘That's a shame. It has been nice having you around.’ She sips her drink. ‘Maybe you can become the ambassador.’

‘It will likely be one of my older siblings,’ Tempest moans. ‘I'm one of the youngest in my family, so it probably won't be me.’

‘If you need somepony to put in a good word for you, I'd be happy to,’ Octavia offers.

‘Thank you. We'll see.’

The performers go back to eating, leaving Sweetie thinking about about the conversation she just heard.

The next morning. Sweetie Belle arrives at school earlier than normal. After a bit of asking around and viewing Lyra's latest slideshow starring her son, the young mare finds where Tempest is staying.

Sweetie visits the hotel Tempest is staying at. When she arrives, Tempest is slipping into a new magic dress for the day.

‘Sweetie? This is a surprise,’ Tempest greets. ‘How can I help you?’

‘What were you talking about with Octavia last night?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘You said you were leaving soon.’

‘Ah.’ Tempest climbs into her wheelchair. ‘It is true. I was only visiting Equestria to help finalize plans for an embassy. I had to beg my father to allow me this assignment.’ She frowns. ‘I'll probably have to do more begging just to get him to let me come back.’

Sweetie thinks for several moments. ‘Ambassadors are usually assigned by stuff like diplomatic skill, connections and experience, right?’

‘That's usually how...’

Sweetie magically pulls Tempest's wheelchair behind her as she rushes from the suite. ‘Come with me.’

The seapony tries stopping her abduction. ‘Where are you taking me?’

‘You already have connections in Canterlot. Time to get you some experience in the heart of pony culture.’

‘We have duties! You have school!’

Sweetie turns to face her friend. ‘Do you want to spend your last days in Equestria in boring meetings and performing for my school, or do you want to get more experience in pony culture than all of your siblings combined?’

‘I have a lot of siblings, you know.’ Tempest sees the determination in Sweetie's eyes. ‘Let's do it.’

‘Great!’ Sweetie gallops ahead, pulling the wheelchair faster.

Sweetie pushes Tempest's wheelchair off a train as soon as it arrives at the station. Ponies of all tribes mill about, getting on and off the train. Most are unfazed by the seapony in their midst. Sweetie pushes her guest through the station without stopping.

‘You still haven't told me where we are,’ Tempest huffs.

‘Just the greatest hub of pony culture imaginable,’ Sweetie answers, pushing Tempest out of the station. ‘Welcome to my hometown of Ponyville.’

Around them, Ponyville buzzes with activity. The bazaar is filled with ponies selling their wares. Applejack can be heard making a pitch for her apples. Derpy flies by on her mail route. Silver Spoon, Inkie and a group of farmers meet with Flitter and some weather ponies at a nearby cafe to discuss the rain schedule. Scootaloo flies past, too groggy to notice her friend. Twilight's castle glitters in the morning sin.

‘Every type of pony lives in Ponyville,’ Sweetie explains. ‘You can see how real ponies live and work in perfect harmony.’

Tempest takes in everything, amazed. ‘Wow. Thanks.’

‘I'll try to show as much as I can,’ -- she starts pushing Tempest again -- ‘but first, we're hitting Sugarcube Corner. I skipped breakfast and am starved.’

They head into the town to begin their tour.

A train pulls into Canterlot station in the late afternoon. Sweetie and Tempest are immediately approached by Octavia and Moon Glow as soon as they exit.

‘About time you show up, Miss Belle,’ Octavia comments.

Tempest wheels herself in front of her friend. ‘It is not her fault. I wanted to...’

Octavia holds up a hoof, silencing seapony. ‘We know what Sweetie did.’

‘She called me from the train this morning,’ Moon Glow adds.

‘What?’

Octavia starts pushing Tempest's wheelchair. ‘Sweetie told us that she was taking you on this little trip, so I arranged for your appointments to be rescheduled.’

‘You weren't worried for my safety?’ Tempest asks. ‘I'm literally a fish out of water.’

‘Heavens no! If anything happened to you, Sweetie would answer to me.’

Sweetie trots beside her friend and boss. ‘Everything was well in hoof, even if it seemed a little rash.’ She turns to Moon Glow. ‘By the way, we have receipts.’

Moon Glow groans. ‘Great. I knew you'd do something annoying to get back at me for the recital.’

‘Speaking of which,’ Octavia interrupts, ‘Tempest and I have a performance scheduled. We will catch up later.’

Octavia leaves with Tempest. Sweetie and Moon Glow head to dinner, with Sweetie telling her friend about the day.

Sweetie trots to her afternoon class. It is Tempest's last day as guest instructor. She wonders what her friend has planned for her last lecture. Before she enters the classroom, she spins to intercept an attack but is tackled in a flying glomp.

‘I have great news!’ Tempest cheers in her friend's ears.

Sweetie retracts her hidden blades. ‘What is it?’

Tempest lets her friend up and climbs back into her wheelchair. ‘My parents are appointing me as ambassador to Equestria. We didn't have to go to Ponyville either, but they were very impressed that I got out to see more of the country.’ She squeals. ‘I'm so excited. We'll be able to see each other all the time now.’ She heads to the classroom. ‘You're going to have to show me everything.’

‘That's great. I look forward to it,’ Sweetie replies.

She enters her classroom, happy for her friend and looking forward to getting home and washing the smell of the hug away.

Author's Note:

Story notes: Bit more world building with a Sweetie focus. I wanted to make all members of the League of Harmony more visible, so Tempest was brought back to lead the way for seaponies. I worked in a bit of merponies and kelpies from the comics and sirens from Rainbow Rocks. All are designed differently, so that had to be accounted for.

Settling on a solid seapony description for Tempest was tough too. I had previously left the descriptions vague, but I knew I needed a standard to go by now that three other examples were shown. I settled for what felt like a mid range between merpony and siren with regular pony features (wings and horn) added. I've seen art all over the place on this subject and tried my best for a common ground but leaning merpony.

Final story Note: If a kelpie or siren appears, I will refer to it as such. Seaponies and merponies are essentially interchangeable with me with the preferred term being seapony.

Character note: Tempest has appeared previously in both parts of League of Harmony in TWP and in The Master Game.

Fun fact: The last time Tempest appeared, Bon Bon had just gotten pregnant with her and Lyra's son. By now, Lyra has gone full Col Hughes in the months since her son was born.

PreviousChapters Next