• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,340

PreviousChapters Next
Death of Harmony - The Loss

Main Characters: Lots
Cameos: Many
Original Start Date: August 6, 2013

Warning: This chapter relies heavily on knowledge of Rebirth of Harmony. Check it out. It is a fun read.


Alba holds Razzly and sobs. The unicorn does her best to comfort her friend, but cannot help but cry as well.

‘Please come with me,’ Alba begs. ‘I never want to leave you again.’

‘I’m sorry, Alba,’ Razzly apologizes. ‘As much as I want to stay by your side, my father needs me more. I don’t want to leave him all alone when the world ends.’

Alba squeezes her friend tight. ‘You are too good. I hope the other Razzly is as Generous as you are.’

‘There’s another Razzly?’

‘That is how I knew you were staying. Everypony who is staying has a counterpart in the other world already.’

Razzly smiles. ‘Then I am sure you will be friends with her too.’

‘I hope so...’

‘Alba... Who do you think I am? No matter what world we are from, we’ll be friends.’

The princess giggles. ‘I believe in the Razzly who believes in me.’

The unicorn laughs in return. ‘And I believe in the Alba who believes in herself.’

The friends laugh and hug one last time.

Helios trots with Apple Pie through the orchards.

‘Are you sure you don’t want me to beat you with a tree and have them keep you there this time?’ the younger brother offers.

‘Nope,’ Apple laughs.

‘It is going to suck not having you around. Who will I go to when I need to feel better than somepony?’

‘If you need a big brother to emasculate you, Technis is going too.’

‘Right... And the other version of dad says he has a son who is older than me too. Joy.’

‘See! Plenty of ponies to put you in your place. What do you need me for?’

The brothers stop outside of the farmhouse. Apple Bloom comes out with a box.

‘Just promise me when you see her sister to tell her thanks for everything she ever did for us,’ Helios says.

‘And when ya see mah sister, give her a big hug fer me too,’ Apple Bloom replies. ‘Anyway, we got ya somethin’ fer ya t’ take t’ remember us bah.’

Helios opens the box. He levitates Applejack’s hat. ‘This is...’

I know that Applejack said it looked good on me, but I want you to have it,’ Apple Pie says. ‘Just don’t rip a hole in it for your silly horn.’

Helios adjusts the hat on his head. ‘I just hope you got all the sweat out.’

‘Please, that is the only sweat your brow has ever felt, your highness.’

Helios laughs and hugs his brother. ‘I’m going to miss you,’ he weeps.

‘You were the best little brother I could have hoped for,’ Apple Pie replies, crying.

The brothers hug and cry for a few more moments before backing away. Helios wipes a few more tears before saluting his brother and readying his teleportation spell.

Rei zips around Canterlot Castle. The soldiers and staff ignore the excited mare as she flies overhead. She even nicks a piece of candy out of an extended hoof as she zooms through a room. She loops back and returns to the candy room.

‘Told you that would get her attention,’ James gloats.

Twilight groans and rolls her eyes. ‘At least she is here on time.’

‘More please!’ Rei begs, holding her hooves out. ‘I love the alien candy you get me.’

James laughs and gives his daughter more candy.

‘Rei, I know you are excited to be here,’ Twilight begins, ‘but you have to understand the circumstances behind your parents reaching out like this.’

Rei slows her snacking and looks away. ‘We all saw Celestia’s announcement. We know it is sad times.’ She looks up and smiles. ‘But I heard my brother and sister were coming, so that makes me happy.’

`Actually, it is brothers and sisters.`

The family looks at a display. King James and Queen Luna smile back. Rei tenses up, nervous from head to hoof.

‘Brothers and sisters?’ Twilight asks.

`Her father can explain that one to you,` Queen Luna snorts.

`Well, uh, when a killer assassin is very drunk and uses martial arts to pin you to the ground...` King James stammers.

‘Don’t worry. We’ve all been there,’ James replies.

Twilight and Queen Luna growl at their husbands.

‘Mommy?’ Rei finally squeaks.

`Hello, Full Moon. It is good to see you again,` Queen Luna greets.

‘Mommy! I missed you so much!’ Rei tries wiping her tears. ‘Even before I knew you were my mommy, I loved you so much. I love you, mommy!’

`It is okay, dear. We get to see each other now. I am happy for this opportunity.`

James smiles. ‘Helping Rei find her family again. This is the happiest I have been in five hundred years.’

Twilight nuzzles her husband. ‘Me too.’

`You’ve really grown up to be a beautiful mare,` King James compliments.

Rei blushes and kicks the ground. ‘Thank you...’

‘Her wife thinks so too,’ James adds.

Queen Luna gasps. `You’re married! How wonderful! What is her name? What is she like? I want to know everything!`

‘Um, I am married to Inkie, uh, Marble Pie. Pinkie’s little sister,’ Rei responds.

King James nods. `She is a very good pony. She helped rebuild Sweet Apple Acres, you know. I approve.`

‘Too late. I approved of her first,’ James counters.

`It is not your genes she is passing on,` the king snorts.

‘Technically, they are... if they would finally allow Lyra’s company to do their thing.’

`You should be getting our data on the field. Maybe they can use it.`

‘It only took them five years after they met to finally get married. As long as I am a grandfather before I am nine hundred, I’ll be happy.’

`In that case, I wouldn’t hold your breath.`

‘DADDY!’ Rei shouts.

Both James hold back laughs as their wives groan again.

Queen Luna shakes her head. `Full Moon... I know it is many years too late, but...` She chokes back a tear. `We’re really sorry for never telling you the truth. We thought it was for the best.`

King James looks away. `I’m even worse. I avoided seeing you since it would hurt too much knowing that we would be losing you.`

Rei frowns. ‘I forgive you. I forgave you a long time ago. I may have been mad once, but not anymore. How can I be mad at my family?’

`Thank you, Full Moon.` Queen Luna smiles. `It warms our hearts to know you grew up to be such a fine mare.`

Rei hugs James. ‘That’s ‘cause daddy is the best! Helo and Alba will love him too!’

`Don’t forget Technis and Rainbow,` Queen Luna adds. `They are crossing too.`

‘Technis? The Octavia x Vinyl Scratch wannabe?’ Rei asks. ‘He’s my brother too?’

King James rubs the back of his head. `L-l-like I said, crazy, drunk, horny ninja assassin in my bedroom...`

Rei smiles. ‘I bet Octavia is real proud of him.’

`She was...`

‘Oh...’

The group sits in silence for a moment.

Queen Luna clears her throat. `Um, James, Twilight. I know this is a bit late, but I bet you are wondering why we wished to speak with you as well.`

‘The thought had crossed my mind,’ Twilight replies, ‘but I’ve been thinking more about how big a hug I am going to give my son when I see him next.’

`See that it is a big one,` the queen replies. `The reason I asked you here is because there was something I have kept from James all this time. Seeing you two reminded me of what it was going to be.` She takes a deep breath, nuzzles her husband and turns back to the others. `My wedding gift to you was going to be making you a princess. I couldn't think of anypony better to rule at my side than Twilight Sparkle. It is good that in one universe things went the way they were supposed to go. I am glad to have seen you, Princess Twilight Sparkle.`

‘Thank you. I am glad you had a chance to see your sister again. When Rei told us what happened to her...’

`Seeing Celestia was an added bonus. Unfortunately, we should be going soon. Helios just returned, and we want him and Alba to cross as soon as possible.`

Rei steps forward. ‘Before you go, just know... I love you, mom, King Sparkle.’ She frowns. ‘I’m sorry I can’t call you “dad”... I mean, I can call Luna-sama and Fluttershy-sama “mom”, but as for daddy...’ She looks back at James and smiles.

King James smiles and nods. `I understand. I am glad you found a version of me that was able to raise you right. I would have been quite upset if I found out he did anything wrong.`

‘Well, he did stop giving Rei-chan an allowance when she was only seventeen...’ the young mare hems.

‘You owned a shop,’ James grumbles. ‘Now, you own two shops!’

‘He still won’t give me an allowance...’

‘And ponies think you let Scootaloo off too easy...’

The king and queen laugh.

`We have said this many times, but you have raised our daughter well, Sir James,` Queen Luna compliments.

‘Technically, it is Prince Sparkle, but I really don’t like using a title. My wife is the only one that deserves one.’

`Twilight...` King James says.

‘Yes?’

`I never stopped loving you, though technically you know that already since you still lived up here.` He taps his head.

‘I am sure you and your Twilight would have been as happy as me and my James.’

`Mom! I’m back!` Helios calls from off screen. He whimpers, `I need hugs...`

`Sorry. Duty calls,` Queen Luna says. `We’ll be contacting you and Luna as soon as we’re ready to begin.`

The queen moves to turn off the communications device.

‘Wait!’ Rei cries. ‘Goodbye. I love you...’

`We love you too... Rei,` King James replies.

`Goodbye, my darling,` Queen Luna adds.

They turn their connection off. James comforts his weeping daughter.

‘I got to see them again...’ Rei sobs. ‘I got to show you to them... I got to...’

‘It is okay,’ James coos. ‘We have been so honored to meet your family.’

‘My family...’ Rei shakes her head. ‘They were the ponies who gave birth me. You and Inkie and Starlight and Inkie and Satsuma and you and Del and Inkie and especially you most of all are my real family.’ She pokes her father’s chest ‘And if you don’t welcome my siblings into my family as well, I will make your life a living hell!’

‘Language, young lady,’ James laughs.

‘Just for that outburst, we’re going to have to take you out and get you as many garden burgers as you can eat and top that off with a trip to your favorite ice cream parlor,’ Twilight scolds.

‘Then can I have my allowance!’ Rei beams with joy.

‘You own two shops!’ James shouts.

Rei laughs and flies ahead. James sighs. Twilight snickers at her husband. He laughs, shakes his head and chases after his daughter with Twilight right behind them.

King James leads Rainbow Pie, Helios and Alba through his TARDIS. The three younger ponies are in awe, having rarely seen inside their father’s ship. The king stops in a large room with a circular pad on the floor.

‘Rainbow, don’t touch that!’ King James scolds as he manipulates some controls.

The pegasus frowns and retracts a hoof that was about to touch a console.

‘Sorry for being short, but I want you to be safe as soon as possible.’ The king activates the pad. ‘This is the Chameleon Arch. It will change you so you will be able to make the crossing.’

Rainbow raises a hoof. ‘Question! Why me too?’

‘You have a unique cutie mark. We need to stabilize your mark before you can cross.’

‘Oh...’ The pegasus frowns. ‘Will that change my insides and DNA like with my little sibs?’

King James shakes his head. ‘No. It will only change your cutie mark. Everything else will be the same.’

‘Great! Because Lucky Heart isn’t coming so we spent the night together.’ She rubs her belly. ‘I should have about a liter of him with me!’

The alicorns give the pegasus a disgusted look.

‘Anyway...’ the king groans. ‘You just have to settle on one of your cutie marks. When you have picked one, we can change you.’ He turns to his other kids. ‘Have you picked a tribe to be as well?’

‘Unicorn,’ both siblings say at once.

Rainbow closes her eyes and focuses. Her cutie mark changes to a trio of rainbow-colored balloons. ‘Ready!’ She smiles at everypony. ‘What? I want something to remember mom by.’

King James smiles. ‘You mother would appreciate that. You are Laughter, like her, after all.’

Rainbow frowns. ‘Not for too much longer though.’ She sets a necklace with a cloud-shaped gem next to her father.

‘I almost forgot about those. I guess I was just trying to deny it...’

‘I have Apple’s,’ Helios says.

‘Razzly gave me hers, and I got Shaun’s already,’ Alba adds.

King James takes a deep breath. ‘We’ll get to that after we take care of you. One thing at a time...’ He sighs and shakes his head. ‘Okay. Who’s first?’

The princesses stand before a swirling portal. James continually scans it with his sonic. Shining stands ready in case something goes wrong. There is a flash and the portal stabilizes. A shimmering window to another world replaces the nondescript tube of nothing.

Helios and Alba hug their parents and say their goodbyes. They go to the portal. Helios takes a breath and steps forward. The former prince slowly looks around as he arrives in the new world.

Alba breathes deep. ‘Feels good to actually interact with this world this time.’

‘Do you feel like static electricity is covering your body?’ Helios asks.

The young stallion shouts as Rainbow taps his horn, causing a spark between them. The pegasus giggles at her prank, flying off to explore.

‘Welcome to Equestria,’ Celestia greets bowing.

‘It is a pleasure to meet you,’ Luna adds.

Helios bows. ‘Thank you for helping save our citizens.’

‘We can begin moving more ponies through the portal as soon as you are ready,’ James says.

Queen Luna nods. `We’ll inform all our emigrants.`

The queen leaves to guide the travelers. King James maintains the portal from his end. Seeing that the crossing was successful, Shining repositions the guards to be ready for the new arrivals.

‘Helios, when they are ready, will you assist us in greeting the new arrivals?’ Luna asks.

‘Of-of course, mo-, uh, Princess Luna,’ the unicorn replies.

‘Alba, you can help me with the organization and relocation,’ Twilight offers.

The young mare nods excitedly in response.

‘Excellent! But I think there is somepony who wants to see you first.’

‘Huh?’

‘ALBA-TAN!’

Alba is tackled in a hug by Rei. The older sister hangs from the younger one’s neck.

‘Rei!’ Alba cheers, returning the hug.

‘I missed my little sister.’ Rei rubs her cheek on Alba before dropping to the ground. She turns and leaps on Helios, giving him a big kiss on the cheek. ‘Hey, little brother!’

Helios blushes. ‘H-hi, Rei.’

A throat is cleared behind the siblings. ‘Please release my coltfriend,’ Krile demands.

Rei lets go. She darts around the new unicorn, taking her in. ‘You are such a cutie! And smart too. Oh! A musician.’ She makes a positive motion towards Helios. ‘Good job. I approve.’

‘You must be Rei,’ Krile surmises. ‘I always expected the big sister to be, you know, bigger.’

Rei holds up a hoof. A spark of electricity arcs between the new arrival and the pegasus’ electric field. Rei laughs and flies away before she gets yelled at.

‘Miss Krile,’ Luna interrupts. ‘Helios had mentioned your relationship. Since he will be staying here to help with the evacuation, we had a room prepared for him. I can show it to you while we wait for your queen’s return.’

‘Thank you, Queen Luna.’

Luna laughs. ‘I am only a princess here.’ She looks at her sister. ‘And that is all I ever need.’

Luna shows Helios and Krile away, discussing the plans with the former prince. Alba looks around a bit more. Celestia and Cadance smile at the visitor. She smiles and waves.

‘There’s my little sis!’

Alba looks up. Starlight trots into the ballroom. The young mare’s smile grows, and she greets the young stallion with a hug.

‘So good to see you again, big bro.’

Starlight laughs. ‘I knew you were more huggable than you seemed.’ He backs away. ‘Hey, want to get mom and prank our grandparents again?’

‘Starlight...’ Twilight scolds from across the hall.

Alba blushes. ‘Well, uh, they aren't really my...’

‘Sure, they are! And if we didn’t have school tomorrow, I would have brought Del, Satsuma, Presea and Juliet with me to introduce you to all your new siblings!’

‘N-n-new siblings... But we’re not related...’

‘Dad, what does the sonic say?’

‘Same thing as for Rei,’ James replies, pointing his sonic at Alba. ‘She is half me, half Lu-... That’s odd.’

Twilight looks at the result and her eyes go wide.

‘Dad?’

‘Nothing!’ both parents exclaim.

Starlight snorts. ‘Anyway, want me to show you around while you wait?’

Alba shakes her head. ‘No thanks. I have a feeling it is going to get very busy, very soon.’

‘Roger. I’ll get everyone snacks and drinks then.’ He turns to Celestia. ‘Extra cake?’

‘You know it.’

‘Princess!’ ‘Auntie!’ Twilight and Cadence scold.

‘If she doesn’t want to fit through the door, let her,’ James moans.

‘James!’ ‘Mr Sparkle!’ Twilight and Celestia scold.

‘A little help please!’ a voice calls from the portal.

The royals look back. Celestia gasps and tenses up. Twilight’s eyes go wide with shock. An amber unicorn with yellow and crimson mane is pulling a sled filled with books through the portal.

‘Push harder, Sunset!’ Corona yells.

Alba trots over and helps pull the sled. ‘Moving entire sections of the library at the time now, eh?’

‘Well, it is not like there was a spare field for us to teleport the whole library here at once.’

Alba and Corona laugh and drag the sled. Sunset pushes the sled through and collapses.

Celestia leans towards Twilight. ‘I thought you said she wasn’t the same...’

‘I never saw her before now. I didn’t know!’

‘Twilight Sparkle not knowing something?’ Corona fakes a gasp. She laughs and turns to Alba. ‘Told you she is not as perfect as you think.’

‘Oh, hush,’ Alba snorts, trotting over. ‘Princess Twilight, Princess Celestia, Princess Cadance, this is Corona Shimmer and her little sister Sunset Shimmer.’

Corona bows. Sunset flies around the books, making sure they are undamaged.

‘It is a pleasure to meet you,’ Celestia greets.

‘Likewise,’ Corona replies. ‘I was a little nervous thinking about meeting you. In our world, you are sort of my grandmother.’

‘Then this must be a great shock seeing me for the first time. I hope we can get along.’

Sunset swears as she pushes the sled of books.

‘We’ll have to talk some other time,’ Corona laughs. ‘Queen Luna allowed us this time to move as many books as we could while she organizes the first wave of travellers.’

‘I look forward to spending time with you, Corona.’

Corona smiles and nods. She goes to help her sister with the books. Shining and several guards help with the sled and the next one that is forced through the portal. The princesses sigh, knowing it is going to be a long day.

Rainbow Pie flies around Canterlot castle. She passes one room then flies back when she notices it is decorated for a party. She marvels at the decorations.

‘Ooo. Pretty.’

‘Thank you!’ Pinkie cheers, popping up from a behind a table. ‘I wanted to make all the new arrivals feel welcome.’

The pink pony is tackled in a hug.

‘Mom!’

Pinkie giggles. ‘I get that a lot, but you aren’t my Juli.’

‘Sorry.’ Rainbow helps Pinkie up. ‘I’m from the other world. You’re my mother. I’m Rainbow Pie.’

Pinkie gasps so hard she lifts from the ground. ‘I have a cute pegasus daughter from another world to play with!’ She grabs Rainbow in a rib-crushing hug. ‘I love you so much!’

‘I love you too. I just wish Apple was here to meet you...’

‘Applejack?’

Rainbow shakes her head. ‘No. Apple Pie is my big brother.’

‘OH! He’s the pony James and Twilight and Applejack met that one time.’ Pinkie frowns. ‘AW! I never get to meet anypony from another world... except you!’

The mares hug again.

‘Who is Juli?’ Rainbow asks.

‘Juliet and Presea are my daughters. You have to come to Ponyville. They will love you.’

‘I lose a brother but get two sisters.’ She scrunches her cheeks. ‘So awesome!’

Pinkie giggles. ‘Want to help me prepare for the welcome party? You can use my party cannon.’

‘I have one of those too!’

The mares whip out their party canons.

‘Is that the Mk VI?’ Pinkie asks.

‘More or less. My mom gave it to me when I moved to Cloudsdale so I can throw pegasus parties.’

‘AH! I’ve never thrown a pegasus party. Not even when Rainbow Dash joined the Wonderbolts.’ She kicks her cannon, spraying confetti all over a table of treats. ‘Stupid special party cannon that James made for me and Twilight enchanted with her magic.’

‘Daddy made your cannon?’

‘James is your daddy too?’

Rainbow nods. ‘Me and Apple and Rei and Alba and Helios and Technis and... I think that is it.’

Pinkie giggles. ‘He really can’t keep it in his pants, can he?’

‘But he doesn’t wear pants.’

The mares laugh at the joke.

‘Speaking of foals! My coltfriend should have me loaded to bear!’

Pinkie puts her ear to Rainbow’s belly. ‘Sorry, but nope!’

Rainbow scowls. ‘Damn it, daddy.’

‘It was probably for the best. You don’t know what would happen when it passed through the portal.’

‘It could have ended up being some weird off-pink creature that walks on two legs, has weird wiggly things for forelegs and wore clothes all the time!’ Rainbow gasps.

‘I know. Scary.’

Both mares shudder. They then laugh. ‘I like you!’

The mother and daughter continue chatting about both their worlds and families.

Krile paces in her room. Helios is out helping Luna, but the young mare cannot help but worry. There is a knock on her door. A grinning white unicorn with an electric blue mane and deep purple sunglasses waits on the other side.

‘Hey, sis-in-law,’ Technis greets. ‘Do ya know where Corona went?’

‘Sorry. I haven’t seen her since I crossed. You might try the library.’

‘Sweet. Thanks.’ He looks at the other unicorn. ‘Are you okay?’

‘What? Yeah...’

‘Come on. You can tell me.’

Krile looks away. ‘Well... It is just that I am worried for everypony back home. I want to know they are doing okay...’

‘Of course they are okay! Why wouldn’t they be?’

‘Our universe is ending! That is why!’

Technis frowns. ‘My universe ended the day I got these.’ He taps his sunglasses. ‘Life goes on, if a little emptier. I, at least, have Corona to help me keep living. You have Helios. That hole will be filled.’ He smirks. ‘And if he is anything like me, he can fill a lot.’

Krile cringes. ‘You’re disgusting.’

‘Don’t blame me if he got our dad’s genes.’

‘Ugh. At least you two don’t have the same mother or what you and your wife do would basically be incest.’

Technis’ grin grows. ‘Do you think that means Celestia will give us titles since we’re family?’

‘If she does, then Helios and I deserve them from his mother too.’

‘Heh, heh. Good point.’ Technis turns to leave. ‘Hey, Pinkie and Rainbow asked me to play a set at the welcome reception later. Come on by. I only have a few of my mixes ready. I am sure a live musician will help soothe the journey.’

‘I’ll think about it.’

‘I hope to see you there.’ He takes a few steps then stops. ‘My mom is still alive here, ya know. Maybe we can see her once everything dies down a bit.’

Krile takes a deep breath. ‘A lot of ponies are still alive here. … Maybe this is the right world after all...’

‘The right world made better now that we’re here.’

Krile looks away and starts closing the door. ‘... I’ll tune my instruments just in case. Art and Science of Wandering, right?’

‘Want the Club, 8-bit or 20% Cooler Remix cued?’

‘Surprise me.’ Krile closes the door. ‘If I show up...’

The next few days are spent welcoming the new arrivals to Equestria and getting them settled and relocated. The ballrooms and courtyards constantly have ponies passing through and camping in them. The trains and airships work around the clock to transport everypony to every corner of the world. Helios, Alba and the royals are in a state of exhaustion from the constant greeting and assisting the immigrants. Even Pinkie, Rainbow and Technis lose their energy after keeping the welcome party going through the whole transition.

James trots to the portal. He carries a tray of coffee on his back. Each of the royals levitate a cup for themselves. The earth pony huffs and takes the last cup before turning to the portal.

`That should be the last group,` Queen Luna reports.

`We will keep the portal open as long as we can for any stragglers or for anything else you could need,` King James adds. `Not too much longer though. The Eye of Harmony is getting pretty drained, and the Element of Loyalty has cracked.`

‘Thank you, dad,’ Helios replies. ‘Any bit of extra time will be great.’

Queen Luna frowns. `It probably might not be much time. The stars are nearly gone. It could be days or hours...’

‘Mom...’

Helios turns away. Princess Luna comforts the upset stallion.

‘What do we do now?’ Celestia asks.

`We don’t know,` Queen Luna sighs. She takes a deep breath. `If it is all right with you, James and I would like to spend our last moments together. We can find a guard to watch the portal.`

‘Very well.’ Celestia bows. ‘It was a honor meeting you.’

`It was great seeing you again, sister.`

Helios looks up. ‘I’m going to miss you, mom. I love you.’

`Take care of my kids, me,` King James says.

‘They are in good hooves, me,’ James replies. He looks back at the former prince. ‘I’ll keep watch. You can go be with your sisters. I am sure Rei and Alba will want to be with you right now.’

Helios nods and goes to his sisters’ room. The king and queen leave the portal. Twilight leans against her husband as they watch for any pony to return.

Celestia sighs. ‘If you are okay here, I am sure I have a large backlog of work to catch up on. I’ll be back as soon as I can.’

‘As will I,’ Luna agrees. ‘I will check on the new arrivals and return shortly.’

The older princesses trot away, trying not to discuss the current events.

‘James, about Alba’s scan...’ Twilight starts.

‘I’m okay if you are,’ her husband replies.

‘What about the others?’

‘Helios seems to have latched on to Luna, and Rainbow and Pinkie are the best of friends. As for Technis...’

‘I contacted Octavia’s school. They are willing to interview him for a teaching position. Otherwise, he would just become another of their field agents.’

James nods. ‘And the others?’

‘I am fairly certain Pinkie has already hired Rainbow.’

‘Tru dat.’

‘Alba and Corona both taught at their version of Celestia’s school. Perhaps we can bend some rules for them.’

‘Whatever you see as best. And Helios?’

Twilight takes a deep breath. ‘I have no idea. He worked so closely with his mother that there isn’t really a good spot for him. I’ll talk with Luna about it.’

‘Sunshine is looking to retire.’

‘Former Element of Kindness leading the Lunar Guard. I’d just as soon expect Fluttershy to drop a bear.’

‘Well, considering how she lost her virginity...

‘And how many regenerations did you want to use up before our next anniversary!’

James laughs and kisses his wife. She snorts. They return to watching the portal.

Technis trots into a ballroom. Pinkie and Rainbow are cleaning up the last party. Rainbow’s mane seems flatter than usual.

‘What up, big sis and auntie!’ Technis greets.

‘Oh, hey, Technis,’ Rainbow replies.

‘Yeah, so, Corona and I are going to hit up a museum, then do dinner and come back to help Sunset with her new library.’

‘That’s good.’

‘Yeah. We heard that one of my friends back home has a whole gallery here. I hope that this Image Crystal is just as cool.’

‘Might be.’

‘Then, of course, we have to see how this world’s In-N-Out compares.’

‘It is the best!’ Pinkie comments.

‘That’s high praise.’ Technis turns to his sister. ‘So, wanna join us?’

Rainbow half smiles. ‘Thank you, but I don’t really feel like doing anything right now. I mean, our home is about to be destroyed.’

‘All the more reason to start getting to know our new home. I am sure Pinkie is a good teacher, but you have to get out there to experience it yourself.’

‘He has a point, Rainbow,’ Pinkie agrees. ‘It will be good for you to be at peace with your new life. Also, Juli can totally pick up on bad vibes.’ She frowns. ‘You wouldn’t want to upset your little sister the first time you meet her, would you?’

Rainbow smiles. ‘You’re right. I have enough of my family here, and you are practically the same mom who raised me. I am more at home than I realized.’

Technis laughs. ‘Great. I’ll help you two clean up. Corona will be a bit. She is meeting with Celestia. Wow. That is weird to say.’

The mares laugh. All three ponies clean the ballroom.

Corona bows before Celestia in the princess’ throne room. ‘You wanted to see me, Princess Celestia?’

‘Please, no need for formalities,’ Celestia replies. ‘I just wanted to speak with you.’

‘Have I done something wrong?’

‘Far from it. I just wish to get to know you better, that is all.’

Corona glances down. ‘I understand. You are practically my grandmother...’

Celestia smiles. ‘As you may have guessed, your line traces back before my death in your world. I too had a family once, but they were lost to me after I lost my sister...’ She shakes away the bad thoughts. ‘It is good to be able to have another chance at the family I lost.’

Corona smiles. ‘Sunset and I would love to be your family. Truth be told, we were feeling a little lost since our mother died. Queen Luna was good, but she was more of a mother to her children than us.’

‘I promise to do my best to be there for you.’

Corona nods. ‘I wouldn’t expect to get everything I want right away. I will be patient.’

Celestia laughs. ‘Now, as for your employment, I heard you once taught at a school for magically-inclined unicorns. I so happen to run a school like that myself.’

‘We just met, and you are trusting me with such a duty!’ the unicorn gapes.

‘Let’s just say I have a feeling you are up for the task. You can always repay me in hugs.’

Corona gallops to the throne and hugs Celestia. ‘Thank you, Celestia.’

‘No, thank you, Sunset Shimmer.’

‘Corona,’ the unicorn corrects. ‘Sunset is my sister.’

‘Right. Sorry. Thank you, Corona.’ She releases the hug. ‘If you will excuse me, I must get ready for dinner. I have plans to go out with my sister.’

‘My husband and I are going out too. Maybe we’ll see each other.’

Celestia levitates a necklace behind her. ‘You never know.’

Helios trots with Luna down a hallway.

‘If there is anything I can do to comfort you at this time, do not hesitate to ask,’ Luna states.

‘Just being here is enough, mo-, I mean, Luna,’

‘Our resemblance is quite uncanny. Ponies may think you really are my son.’

‘Once they know the truth, they may think that even more.’

Luna laughs. ‘Helios, do not be afraid to rely on me as we truly were related. Your sister does not hesitate to do so.’ She smiles. ‘In fact, she was quite excited to learn I was her parent.’

‘Full Moon was always like that. She worshiped you, er, mom.’

The princess takes a deep breath. ‘Helios, what I am trying to say is that quantum signatures do not matter. You may think of me as your mother. You have practically called me such several times just today,’ she huffs. ‘I may not have much experience since James did all of the raising in Rei’s case, but I am sure I can offer advice or a comforting shou-’

Helios grabs Luna in a hug. He sobs, ‘I miss them so much, mommy. I already miss my home, my friends, my brother. I miss you and dad. I miss them all. Thank you for being here, mommy.’

Luna returns the hug. ‘You and your sister are more alike than you may think.’

Helios chokes back a tear. ‘Sorry. I don’t know what came over me.’

‘If it happens again, you know where to find me.’ She notices somepony at the end of a hall. ‘Though, it may have to wait until after dinner. I have plans.’

‘Right. I should be joining Alba and the others. Technis wanted to explore the city.’ He gallops away. ‘See you soon!’

Luna levitates her glasses. ‘Indeed... my son.’

Razzly and Strawberry work in their store. They are spending their last moments baking together as a family. Razzly levitates a tray of tarts from an oven. The shop door opens. Strawberry sighs and goes to see who it is. Before he can leave the kitchen, the door opens.

‘Trixie!’ Razzly cheers, nearly dropping the tray.

‘Correct! It is I, The Great and Powerful...’

Strawberry laughs. ‘The world will end before you finish your introduction.’

‘Take all the fun out of it,’ Trixie huffs.

‘What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with your family?’

The older mare looks away. ‘Truth be told, after all the time I spent with your daughter and seeing you these past few years, you two have become my family...’

Razzly gives Trixie a hug. ‘You were a much better mother than my real one. And you did win me fair and square in your magic duel.’

Strawberry nods. ‘Then it is settled. We will go out as a family, together. Me, my lovely daughter’ -- he smiles at Trixie -- ‘and the mare I secretly crushed on and took the end of the world to admit I loved.’

Trixie kisses Strawberry. ‘I love you too, Strawberry.’

Luna and James sit in their bedroom. The queen rests her head against her king.

‘Just so you know, I always thought I would have a hoof in the end of the universe,’ James admits.

Luna laughs. ‘Oh, James. You’re so silly.’

‘Yeah! Silly is my job!’

The two alicorns are tackled in a hug by Pinkie Pie. They laugh and hug their friend.

Apple Bloom and Apple Pie trot through the Ponyville Memorial. The mare wears her old Cutie Mark Crusaders cape. They are the only ponies out. They stop at the center monument, in front of Applejack’s statue.

‘I love you, Apple Pie,’ Apple Bloom says.

‘I love you too, Apple Bloom,’ Apple Pie replies.

The couple kiss one last time.

Shaun wanders through his palace. All his guards and servants are home with their loved ones. He enters the throne room and sits at his throne. He tilts his head slightly then raises a talon to his temple.

‘Five... four... three... two... one...’

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading Rebirth of Harmony.

Final Survey found here. Warning: Contains some chapter title spoilers.

The story continues next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next