• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,339 Views, 263 Comments

Starlight Chronicles - WanderingPhysicist



Join Starlight Sparkle, Satsuma Apple and their friends and family, including Apple Bloom, the Cake twins, Razzly Lulamoon and many moremore, as they live, learn and love in Ponyville. Sequel to The Wandering Physicist Adventures

  • ...
12
 263
 1,339

PreviousChapters Next
Hello, Mr Sparkle

Main Characters: James, Twilight, Prerfect Score
Cameos: Many
Original Start Date: November 1, 2013


Starlight, Del and Satsuma trot through Ponyville High School. The unicorn looks down each hall. The students give them confused looks.

‘Remind me what we are doing here again?’ the younger brother asks.

‘I heard some rumors this morning and want to check on them,’ Starlight replies.

‘What rumors?’

Del bares her fangs at some young stallions who whistled at her then turns to her younger brother. ‘This morning, Cheerilee mentioned an odd pony who showed up and took over a classroom at the high school.’

‘And?’

Starlight smirks. ‘He took over the physics class.’

Satsuma’s eyes go wide, and he starts looking for the right class. An older earth pony wearing a tie paces near the door of one class.

‘Fo’ shizzle, my good stallion!’ Starlight greets. ‘Can you direct us to the physics class?’

The earth pony examines the odd group. ‘You’re who Cheerilee sent over? I would have prefered Officer Sunshine. There is no such thing as a “Education Department Special Agent”!’

‘ “Education Department Special Agent”?’

‘Right! He just shows up, pulls out this stupid card and pushes me out of my class. You’re the first ponies to even ask me about it.’

The classroom door opens, and a pony trots out. The three siblings tense up in shock.

‘Thanks for letting me use your class. We had a great time. You really need to work on the basics, though. None of your students even knew about the field equations for general relativity or subspace tunneling. Gonna have to talk to the wife about adding that to the standards,’ James tells the teacher. He sees his kids. ‘Oh, hey. Come to see your dad at work?’

‘D-dad? What are you doing here?’ Starlight eventually stammers.

James shrugs. ‘Just taking a break from my day job.’ He gets out a card. ‘Besides, your mom just had this printed up for me.’

The unicorn levitates the card. ‘ “Education Department Special Agent”? That is really a thing?’

‘Your mom created the title for me. She can pull all sorts of strings in her new post.’

‘New post? And this? I mean… You were here all day and didn’t bother telling us!’

James laughs sheepishly. ‘Sorry. Just forgot. We’ve just been so busy these past few days.’

‘Past few days?!’

‘Heh heh...’ He looks at his other kids. ‘So, uh, how are you doing?’

‘Daddy!’ Del cheers, wrapping her father in a hug.

‘Dad!’ Satsuma grabs his dad’s leg.

James smiles and returns his kids’ affections.

Starlight adjusts his glasses and gets out his mobile. ‘I’m calling mom. You have a lot of explaining to do.’

Twilight’s castle. The building is packed with visitors coming to see their returning friends. James and Twilight sit in the middle of them catching up. The stallion has Juliet on his lap.

‘Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad!’ the filly cheers.

James laughs and hugs his daughter. ‘That’s right. I’m your dad.’

Juliet smiles and returns the hug. ‘I love my dad.’

‘I love Twilight,’ Pinkie adds, hugging her friend.

Twilight laughs and pats her friend’s head. ‘I love seeing you too.’

‘It is great having ya back,’ Applejack begins. ‘What’s the occasion?’

‘What? We can’t come back to Equestria?’ the princess counters.

‘So, what? You’re back-back?’ Starlight asks.

Rei frowns. ‘Does that mean Inkie and I have to find a new home?’

Twilight shakes her head. ‘That is your home. We’ve been setting up in Canterlot so that we’re closer to our new duties.’

‘Setting up? New duties? How long have you been back?’ her son asks.

The couple thinks for a few moments.

‘I think, what? Three days?’ James replies.

‘Sounds about right,’ Twilight agrees.

‘Three days and you didn’t tell us?!’ Starlight exclaims.

‘Twilight...’ Pinkie hisses, squeezing her friend tighter.

‘Uh… We were very busy,’ James says.

‘Yeah, uh, getting used to our new duties and setting up our departments...’ Twilight joins.

‘Departments?’ Fluttershy asks.

The princess smiles and nods. ‘My new royal duties will include running the Education Department. Also, Celestia is going to make James the new Minister of Science and Technology. She was going to be making a formal announcement soon.’

Starlight frowns. ‘So, you’re going to be my boss. Great.’

Del smiles. ‘We get to work with mommy and daddy more. I look forward to it.’

‘And your pass thing!’ Satsuma adds. ‘You can come visit us at school!’

James laughs. ‘That would be pretty fun.’

Starlight looks at his mother. ‘Why did you even give him that?’

His father groans. ‘Do you know what the Minister of Science and Technology has to do?’

James sits at a desk holding his head in his hooves. ‘Have you tried turning it off and on?’

Celestia levitates a tablet in front of her. She watches it go through the boot cycle. ‘Oh! It is working again! Thank you~!’

The princess leaves her new minister to moan into his desk.

‘Come on, dad,’ Starlight sighs. ‘It can’t be that bad.’

‘Well… Luna and I did make plans to start streaming our game nights...’

Twilight groans and facehoofs. ‘Anyway. We should be going. We still have a lot to do.’ She stands and gives Pinkie another hug. ‘We’re going to have to hire you for a “Welcome Home” party very soon.’

James gets up and puts Juliet on her mother’s back. ‘If you need us, just give us a call.’

Pinkie frowns. ‘Twilight...’

Juliet mimics her mother. ‘Dad...’

‘Oh, don’t worry. We’re closer than you think,’ Twilight replies, going to a closet.

‘Seems a bit of a waste to TARDIS back,’ Starlight comments.

James laughs. ‘We didn’t take it here. The door is just linked back to it.’

‘Wait. Then where is it?’

The father messes up his son’s mane. ‘Time Lord 101.’

Starlight huffs, ‘The best hiding place for a TARDIS is where nopony can find it.’

‘Right. We parked it somewhere and just linked the exit to here, the palace, the Crystal Empire and a few other key locations. I doubt even The Doctor would be able to find it.’

Satsuma trots over and hugs his father. ‘Come back soon, dad.’

‘We will.’

‘Don’t leave us!’ Pinkie begs, grabbing Twilight’s hind legs.

‘Pinkie! We’re not even a day away!’ Twilight shouts. ‘We’ll be seeing you all the time.’

James laughs as his wife has to use her magic to force herself free again. They enter the closet, wave and close the door behind them.

‘Well, that went well,’ James says.

Twilight trots off. ‘You still have to make dinner, remember.’

‘Yes, dear.’ James heads to the kitchen. ‘Are we going to start tomorrow?’

‘Seems as good a time as any,’ Twilight replies, coming from the library with a book. ‘Just hope it will work.’

‘Of course it will.’ James kisses his wife. ‘You always have such good ideas.’ He turns to the stove. ‘Now! Let’s get cooking!’

The stallion gets to work making their dinner while the princess sits at the table reading and watching her husband.

James stands in the front office of a school. Young stallions and mares head to class as the older stallion meets with a secretary.

‘I am sorry, sir, but you cannot just barge in and take over a class,’ the secretary says.

James puts his card on the desk. ‘I have a special pass from the Princess. This grants me the right to teach any class I want.’

‘There is no such thing as a Special Education whatever.’

‘There is now.’

The secretary slides the card back. ‘Sorry. It is not in the Education Department guidelines, so we cannot...’

‘It was just created for me. Of course the guidelines haven’t been updated yet.’ He takes a deep breath. ‘Listen, just let me speak to principal or vice principal. I’m sure they’ll listen to...’

The last bell rings, causing the students to scramble.

The secretary turns back to his work. ‘Sir, no unauthorized visitors are allowed on campus during school hours.’

‘I authorize myself,’ James seethes. ‘Please just let me teach the physics class. I am getting really close to moving beyond the request phase.’

‘Excuse me. You wished to see the principal?’ a new voice asks.

James turns to face Perfect Score. The unicorn scowls disdainfully at the earth pony.

James gives his card to the unicorn. ‘Hello. I am James Sparkle, Education Department Special Agent. I am trying to teach the physics class today, but I keep getting denied.’

Perfect Score scans the card. ‘Is Ms Quantum absent today?’

‘No, sir,’ the secretary replies.

‘Then we have no need for a substitute,’ the unicorn explains. ‘I’ll keep you in mind if we need a guest teacher and you have good references.’

‘My wife is Princess Sparkle. Head of the Education Department.’

Perfect Score nods. ‘That is a good reference, if it checks out. Now, if you’ll excuse me...’

‘Mr Prefect, wait a moment.’

The unicorn shudders. ‘My name is Perfect Score. Principal Perfect Score to my students and staff. Please learn it if you wish to work here.’

James takes a deep breath. ‘I hate using the title, but I am Prince James Sparkle, Minister of Science and Technology. I am ordering you to allow me to teach the class today.’

‘As you have heard, we do not need a substitute. And please do not make up titles. It embarrassing for us all.’

‘I think you misheard the part about the order.’

‘And I think you are disrupting my campus.’ The unicorn turns to the secretary. ‘Contact security to have this ruffian removed.’

James takes a deep breath. ‘I can show myself out...’

The earth pony grumbles to himself as he leaves the building. Perfect Score snorts and returns to his office. Once he has left, James gets out his mobile.

`Did it work?` Twilight asks over the line.

‘Just as planned,’ James replies. ‘I can see why your father knocked him out.’

`He is still conscious, right?`

‘For now. Can I go back to bed? It is too early to pick a fight with somepony.’

Twilight snickers. `You just have to channel your tried grumpiness into fighting grumpiness.`

James snorts, ‘If you weren’t so adorable, I’d think you were teasing me.’

`I love you too. See you back home.`

‘Love you. Bye.’ James hangs up. He looks up and down the street and waves. ‘Taxi!’

A pair of royal guards pulling a chariot fly down, landing in front of the prince. James climbs on and works on his mobile while his guards fly him away.

‘Hey. Want to stop for breakfast on the way back to the castle?’ James asks. ‘My treat.’

James and Twilight sit at a desk, looking at monitors.

‘So, what do you think?’ James asks.

Twilight looks at the monitor. ‘Looks like he is due for an inspection.’

‘He might clean up before you get there.’

‘Not if it is unannounced.’

James sighs and sits back. ‘Doesn’t really make sense. He is like an anti-changeling. No fun at all.’

‘But you saw the sonic readings you took. No doubt about it.’

‘Yeah. Yeah. Have fun ambushing him during the inspection.’

Twilight smiles. ‘I always do. It will be great having real backup this time.’

‘Are you saying I’m not real backup?’ her husband accuses.

‘The last time I was in a pinch, you held the planet’s leader over a black hole until he declared you sovereign,’ his wife counters.

‘I abdicated once you were safely back in my grasp.’

Twilight rolls her eyes. ‘You say that if I take longer than five minutes in the washroom.’

James smiles. ‘Yeah, but I always make it up to you. I haven’t gotten a complaint about a backrub, horn massage or extra kissy preening once.’

The princess laughs. ‘Just don’t tell that to Starlight. At least not the Tanabata story.’

‘That is a very good story.’

‘I was very fulfilled at the end of it.’

‘Care to recreate that memory?’

‘Want to give Starlight another sibling?’

James grins. ‘Only if we recreate it perfectly.’

Twilight smiles, slips under the desk and pulls her husband down with her. There is a knock on the door and Celestia looks in.

‘The remote for my TV doesn’t work,’ the older princess complains. ‘I know I just changed the batteries. Do you mind taking a...’ Celestia stops when she notices the room’s occupants. Her wings stick up. After watching for several moments, she backs away. ‘Never mind. You’re busy.’

Perfect Score works at his desk. The unicorn grits his teeth as a disturbance grows in volume outside. He gets up and goes to his secretary. A large crowd of students has gathered at the front of the school.

‘What is going on?’ the principal demands.

‘It seems we have another visitor,’ the secretary replies.

The last bell rings, causing the students to break to get to class on time. Perfect Score’s eyes go wide when he sees Princess Twilight Sparkle emerge from the students. She says a few kind words to the remaining students as she goes to the front desk.

Twilight smiles at the principal and his secretary. ‘Greetings. I am...’

Perfect Score bows. ‘Princess Twilight Sparkle. It is a honor. How may we serve you?’

‘I am here to inspect your school, Principal Prefect.’

The unicorn’s eye ticks. ‘Actually, it is Principal Perfect Score.’

Twilight checks her mobile. ‘Hmm. Somepony must have input your data wrong.’

‘Clearly since there is no inspection scheduled.’

The princess smiles. ‘As one of my mother’s friends is fond of saying: surprise!’

‘A surprise inspection… Wonderful.’

‘I know! Isn’t it great?’ Twilight checks her mobile. ‘Now, we have a very long list of tasks to accomplish while I am here. “Meet with Principal Prefect.” Check!’

‘It’s “Perfect”...’

‘Thank you for the compliment. Shall we be going?’

Perfect Score takes a breath to compose himself then nods. ‘Very well. I’ll contact security to escort us. We can’t have a princess unprotected.’

‘Don’t worry,’ Twilight replies. ‘I brought my own.’ The princess nods behind her. A pair of unicorn royal guards trot up behind her. ‘Ready?’

‘Prefectly. I mean, perfectly!’

The principal grumbles to himself as he leads the princess away.

Near the end of the inspection tour, Perfect Score is at wits end. Twilight makes notes on her mobile. Her guards talk with some students about their duties and how to get into the guards. The princess has gone over every little detail about the school three times. As they leave the gym once more, Twilight looks up from her mobile. She stops in front of a door labeled ‘No Entry’.

‘Excuse me, Mr Score,’ the princess says. ‘What is this door?’

‘Just a storeroom,’ the unicorn sighs. ‘Don’t tell me you want to run a complete inventory of our office supplies.’

‘She did spend a hour making sure all the weights in the exercise room were within ten grams of their advertised weight,’ one of the guards comments.

Twilight turns back and glares. ‘Do you remember what happened to the last guard who tried being smart with me?’

‘Sorry, Princess Sparkle.’

The princess nods. ‘Good.’ She looks at Perfect Score. ‘I would like to check your inventory, though.’

‘It is just office supplies,’ the principal moans. ‘Please, princess. We have gone over every detail of my school countless times.’

‘About three by my count,’ Twilight interrupts, checking her mobile.

Perfect Score takes a deep breath. ‘We have been at it for hours. It is almost time for school to end. I am certain my school has met with your standards.’

Twilight examines the door. She flexes a wing. ‘I think I have gotten everything I need.’ She nods towards her guards. ‘Let’s return to the palace.’

The princess and her guards trot from the school. The principal lets out a large sigh as he returns to his office.

Twilight checks her mobile as she leaves the building. ‘Hope you can make it back without me,’ she says before teleporting away.

The guards sigh and begin their trek back to the palace. One turns to the other.

‘So, what did she do to the last guard messed with her?’

‘He made a lewd pass at her, and she blasted him with enough magic to fry his feathers off for a year.’

‘Brings a new meaning to “flash fry”.’

The guards laugh.

Twilight and James look over some data on a monitor. Twilight retrieves her sonic from where it is plugged into the console.

‘Did you actually see it?’ James asks.

‘I think so,’ Twilight replies. ‘I think it retreated every time it saw me. You saw my notes about where I spotted it, right?’

‘Using the air vents to get to students. Clever.’

‘I am certain it is behind that sealed room. It was the only one we didn’t enter.’

James shrugs. ‘I don’t know. You saw how uptight he was. Maybe he sleeps in there.’

Twilight rolls her eyes. ‘You sound like a foal who thinks his teachers live in the school.’

‘Prove to me they don’t.’

‘Starlight doesn’t.’

‘He lives at a library. That is still a building of learning.’

‘Del doesn’t.’

‘My little angel can live wherever she wants. … Besides. She’s a model.’

Twilight glares at her husband. ‘Weird how you are more okay with our daughter dressing up for the enjoyment of others than you are with her as an educator.’

‘Not like we’re not used to it,’ James replies. ‘Remember when Starlight would wear your dress and crown out for Nightmare Night?’

‘Wasn’t that just last year?’

‘We have a very special boy.’

Twilight rolls her eyes and returns to the data. ‘I think we should move sooner than later.’

James taps some keys. ‘Making the plans for ten minutes ago. Shall we be off?’

The princess nods, dons her crown and goes to the TARDIS doors. ‘Our date nights have gotten really weird these days.’

‘We can always invite your brother to spice things up. You don’t even have to come with those nights.’

‘Five days since we returned and you finally make a comment about my brother. Either your willpower has reached a new high or you are finally learning.’

‘OOO! Do you think we can..?’

‘NO!’

‘Aww~~!’

James sulks as he follows Twilight from the ship.

Twilight and James teleport into Canterlot High School in the middle of the night. James waves his sonic around. Twilight scans the building with her magic. They start making their way through the halls.

‘Looks clear,’ the princess reports.

‘That is, unless he’s a vampire.’

‘Why would he suddenly be a vampire?’

‘Prove to me he isn’t.’

Twilight rolls her eyes. ‘Because my magic would have still detected him.’

‘Like that time three months ago?’ He stops to think. ‘Or was that years. I get those two mixed up all the time.’

The princess glares at her husband. ‘Space vampires don’t count.’

‘You’re just lucky I had space garlic leftover from dinner that night.’

‘I know. The bedroom smelled for weeks.’

James laughs as he sonics open the sealed door. ‘I didn’t hear you complaining.’ He holds the door for his wife.

‘Yeah. Because I was sleeping in Starlight’s room the whole time.’ She starts scanning the room. ‘Did we ever teach him how to do laundry?’

James looks up from a desk he found. ‘You mean the TARDIS has laundry facilities?’

Twilight groans. ‘Stallions.’ She looks through a filing cabinet. ‘Find anything yet?’

James shines a light on a bed. ‘Twenty bits, once you pay up.’

‘That doesn’t prove anything. A lot of ponies have beds in their offices. Besides, it is the middle of the night. Where is he now?’

‘Why did Starlight need to clean his sheets again?’

‘One, eww. Two,’ -- she moves a bookshelf to reveal stairs -- ‘secret tunnel under the school.’

James readies his sonic. ‘Still doesn’t disprove my theory.’

They trot down the stairs to a laboratory. A dark mist slips around in the shadows while the ponies look for clues.

James looks over the equipment. ‘Pretty good for an educator’s salary.’

‘All I heard was “my son needs a raise”,’ Twilight replies.

‘That’s also true. Besides, you must have seen the size of his security.’

Twilight kisses her husband’s cheek. ‘Mine’s bigger.’

‘Damn straight.’

There is a noise from the top of the stairs.

‘Who’s down there!’ Perfect Score shouts.

‘Nopony!’ James shouts back.

The unicorn steps down the stairs. ‘How come I don’t believe you?’

James shakes his head. ‘You have serious trust issues.’

‘Well, if you didn’t lie to him right away...’ Twilight counters.

‘Worked on the Cyber Commander last week,’ her husband huffs. ‘... Or was it last century? I get those two mixed up all the time.’

Perfect Score takes in his guests. ‘Princess Sparkle and that annoying pest from the other day.’ He charges a spell on his horn. ‘Don’t you know breaking into school property is illegal?’

‘Even for a princess and head of the Education Department?’ Twilight asks.

‘Told you my references checked out,’ James adds, sticking out his tongue. ‘I’ll even prove it.’

James takes his wife in his hooves and gives her a big kiss. After a few moments, they stop for air.

‘Was that really necessary?’ Twilight pants.

‘I don’t hear you complaining.’

‘Well, I didn’t say stop...’

James leans towards his wife again.

‘Enough!’ Perfect Score shouts. ‘Your mindless idiocy is as bad as that teacher in Ponyville and his pet changeling.’

‘Those are our foals,’ Twilight growls. ‘Where do you get off talking about them like that?’

‘They are disgusting morons who should have been given a stricter hoof in their upbringing. You should have turned them over to me. I have a way with correcting problem foals.’

‘Would it have something to do with this?’ James asks, pointing his sonic at the ceiling.

The pipes shakes. There is a sharp shriek, and a dark cloud drops into a tank in the middle of the room. Perfect Score yells and runs to the tank.

‘Pretty dangerous keeping a Nightmare, wouldn’t you say Twilight?’

‘Not to mention, highly illegal abusing an intelligent being like this,’ the princess adds. ‘Luna, I think it needs your help.’

There are a pair of flashes as Luna and Celestia teleport into the laboratory. The elder princess blocks the door.

Luna advances. ‘You dare keep a Lunar denizen trapped?’

Perfect Score checks on the cloud. ‘It wasn’t trapped. It was being protected. We were working together to make this world a better place.’

‘It is in its enraged form. You have obviously harmed it.’

The unicorn laughs. ‘It was like this when I found it after that little incident in Ponyville. It had just been abandoned by that traitorous tramp Rarity and was weak. I gave it a place to regain its strength. It gave me power.’

‘We would have detected it,’ Celestia says. ‘It gave you nothing.’

‘Don’t be so sure.’

‘We are certain,’ Luna argues. ‘How else would it have remained undetected?’

‘He is a principal,’ James says. Everypony looks at him. ‘Think about it. A sliver of the creature gets into the student and feeds on a nightmare, possibly about failing a test or showing up to school naked. It is a common dream, so Luna doesn’t spend a lot of time battling those nightmares. All the students that pass through these halls over all those years...’

Perfect Score smiles. ‘We raise a nice little army of perfectly trained, perfectly obedient soldiers.’ He extends a hoof to the cloud. ‘They just need their perfect leader.’

‘Prefect! Don’t!’ Twilight shouts.

‘It’s “Perfect”!’ The cloud wraps around his leg and starts covering his body. ‘In fact, it is going to be more than perfect.’ The cloud swirls around him and flows into his body, changing him into a large, dark green unicorn with a spiky mane and glowing eyes. ‘I’m the Perfect Nightmare!’

James rolls his eyes. ‘Great. We unleashed Nightmare Prefect on the world. Hide your towels.’

‘That is Perfect Nightmare...’ the other stallion growls.

‘He should be slightly weakened,’ Twilight says. ‘Rarity said that her possession felt like getting hit by a gold brick wrapped in a lemon peel.’

Luna readies a spell. ‘I concur, Twilight Sparkle. Be on your guard.’

Twilight charges a spell. ‘I’m prefectly ready.’

Perfect Nightmare faces the princess. ‘The word is “perfectly”! Who educated you?’

‘Her education was prefect,’ Celestia snorts. ‘Everything was well in hand.’

‘The word is… What the buck is a hand?!’

James backs up beside his wife. ‘At least when you have to rezone the district, he gave you the name already.’

‘That’s Nightmare Prefect, not Perfect Nightmare!’

Luna watches the raging unicorn. ‘Sister, Sparkles, are you sure it is wise to enrage a lunatic possessed by a demon?’

‘Perfectly,’ Twilight replies.

‘Prefectly!’ Perfect Nightmare snaps.

‘No, she had it right,’ Luna corrects. ‘There is no need to fly off the handle.’

‘Hoofdle!’

The Princess of the Night huffs. ‘Well, if you are not going to accept my helping hand, then you are prefectly fine to hoofdle this on your own.’

Perfect Nightmare spins around, facing each pony. ‘I am prefectly in control! I am prefect! Everything is under my control. I don’t need your charity.’

‘I believe another term for that is “helping hand”,’ James states.

Perfect Nightmare screams. He shoots magic beams at the other ponies, but they raise magical shields (or hide behind his wife in James’ case) that deflect the attacks upward, slicing through the school. Once the dust settles, Perfect Nightmare stands in the middle of the room panting, the Nightmare slightly pulsing from his body with each breath. There is a bright blue flash behind the raging unicorn.

‘Hey, I saw a light show from my room and wanted to...’ Starlight begins. ‘Oh! Hey, Prefect! Who’s that you sass, you crazy frood?’

The other unicorn spins around. ‘YOU!’

Perfect Nightmare roars and leaps at the younger unicorn.

‘James! Now!’ Twilight shouts.

James slides a rectangular device under Perfect Nightmare and steps on a button. A light green field traps the stallion in midair while the Nightmare is drawn into the device. Once the Nightmare is contained, the device shuts off, and Perfect Score falls beside it. The stallion moans, exhausted. Princess Celestia towers over the fallen unicorn as royal guards rush in.

‘You have a lot of crimes to answer for,’ the princess states.

‘Check the mare’s locker room. You might find some fresh DNA samples of his in there,’ James adds.

Twilight cringes. ‘That is just gross. You just want that charge added to the list.’

‘Where else would he have been when we arrived?’

Perfect Score groans, ‘I was getting a snack, you dolt.’

‘Oh. Sorry. Nobody’s prefect.’

‘That’s “perfect”,’ the other stallion grunts before passing out.

Luna levitates the trapped Nightmare. ‘As for you, I think some magical reform school is in order’ -- She nods at Twilight -- ‘when you and the other Elements are free, of course.’

‘First thing in the morning,’ Twilight replies with a smile.

‘Give or take a few days, right, Princess Sparkle?’

‘Luna~’ the other princesses sigh.

‘What? I think she got it right,’ James says.

Luna smiles. ‘It is great having you back, Mr Sparkle.’

Starlight looks around. ‘What? Nopony is going to thank me for saving the day again?’

The next day. Twilight signs some papers at her desk. James lounges on a nearby couch.

‘Seems like his tantrum damaged half the school,’ Twilight says. ‘Though, most of the destruction seems contained to the cafeteria.’

Why does that sound so familiar?’ James wonders.

‘Just glad that is over with,’ the princess sighs. ‘Now, we can get back to normal things like new textbooks and reviewing standards.’

The two ponies work in silence for a few moments.

‘You know...’ James begins, ‘we didn’t really celebrate our victory last night.’

‘What to have in mind?’ Twilight asks.

‘Well, I was thinking we could go out to a nice romantic dinner in Neighpon like we used to, followed by a moonlight stroll through Winsome Falls, ending back here for some dessert and cuddling in bed.’

Twilight uses a wing to sweep her desk clean. ‘Or you could just buck me on my desk.’

The stallion springs up. ‘That works for me!’

Celestia and Luna approach the office. The elder princess knocks on the door.

‘Princess and Prince Sparkle, we were wondering if you would like to join...’ the princess says, peeking in.

Celestia freezes, her wings sticking up.

‘What are they..?’ Luna asks, forcing forward.

The younger princess’ wings shoot up as well. The two princesses watch for a moment before carefully backing away, both beet red.

Celestia politely coughs. ‘I guess they started celebrating without us.’

‘I wish I were still dating Cloudchaser,’ Luna sighs.

‘Oh, please. You two were never that hot.’

‘Were so! More than you and Chrysalis.’

‘Hmpf!’ Celestia turns her nose up as she trots away. ‘Chrysalis is a creature of love, and I have more experience in my left hoof than most pony have in their whole bodies.’

Luna snickers as she flies away.

‘... Not like that!’ Celestia yells, giving chase.

The sisters laugh as they playfully chase each other around the castle.

Author's Note:

SCS Timeline: Twilight and James return! Yay!

Story Note: If you are wondering where Ford Prefect got the Nightmare, that was during the Nightmare Rarity arc of the comics.

Title Reference: The last chapter of TWP, Goodbye, Mr Wanderer, which was the last chapter to feature James with his old name. This is the second chapter with Mr Sparkle, but it is the first with him and Twilight back in the cast.

PreviousChapters Next