• Published 10th May 2013
  • 341 Views, 17 Comments

A World Torn - Flaring Dawn



A war tears through the land of Equestria pitting the Pegasus and earth ponies against the unicorns. Stormdrift, a Pegasus from Cloudsdale only wants one thing. He wants the war to end.

  • ...
 17
 341

An Old Friend

I walk towards the Everfree with a heavy heart. The incidents that transpired left a hole in my heart. I watched a child die in front of my very eyes and it left me heartbroken and angry. I wiped the tears from my eyes and continued walking. The section of town I was in was completely destroyed. Not a single house was left standing and fires were starting right before my eyes. I walked past what was left of the Carousel Boutique. I saw a few earth ponies standing near the remains of the once great boutique. I walked towards it and they ran from me. Figures earth and Pegasus haven't liked each other since... well you know. I walked towards the rubble and debri and sat down by it. "Poor Rarity" I said to myself. Rarity was killed a few weeks ago. She was working on her latest masterpiece when five Pegasus ponies stormed her boutique and cornered her. Sweetie Belle woke up a few minutes too soon that day for when she did she saw one of the Pegasus grab Rarity and impale her through the spine. Sweetie Belle Shrieked and ran away. Word is they found her and killed her the next day. I lowered my head at the thought. Why do things always seem to go negative for me? Is seems this world is out to get me in the worst possible way. I continued towards the Everfree Forest while keeping an eye out for any sort of danger. As luck would have it danger found me. I saw three Pegasus walking towards me. By the look of their armor i knew they were rogues. I hid behind a house as they got closer to me and as i did they cornered an earth pony and her filly. I gritted my teeth knowing that they would kill just about anypony to get their greedy and scummish hooves on money. I listened in as i hid in the shadows from the sounds of it the earth pony was not going to make it.

"Hey Earth scum. Give us all your bits or we will kill you and your child." One of the Pegasus said with an evil grin plastered right on his face. My anger almost exploded right then and there. They would sink so low... to kill a child for a few bits pissed me off.

"Leave us alone right this instant or i will have your hide. You shall not touch my child!!" The mare cried as she brought her filly closer to her. I had more respect for her than anypony in this town, hell in all of Equestria for that matter. The Pegasus sneered as he laughed manaicly. He walked closer to the mare along with his friends. They all gave a laugh that made me cringe. They began attacking the mare and her filly with brutal force. As the mare fell her filly fell from her hooves and the leader of the rogues scooped the filly up and placed a knife at the fillies throat.

"NO MY BABY DON'T HURT MY BABY PLEASE!!!!" The mare yelled as tears streamed down her face. As she yelled a Pegasus from the group flew over and impaled the mare through the heart killing her in front of her daughter.

"MOMMY!!!!" The filly yelled. Her eyes now filling with tears of her own. The Pegasus laughed and laughed. He felt proud of what he just did. It made me sick to my stomach.

"Your turn little cunt!!!" The pegasus said as he pulled the knife away from her throat and impaling the filly in the stomach. I lost it. I charged the Pegasus and tackled him to the ground, slitting his throat with a knife of my own.

"You bastards..." I said with anger as i stared at the two remaining Pegasus. They pulled out knives smiling at me. Like they had a chance to kill me. I smiled right back only to replace the smile with a frown as i saw the filly laying on the ground whimpering quietly.

"Little bitch had what was comming to her." Said one of the Pegasus as he charged me. He died before he could swing his blade as i stabbed him in the throat and pulled upward ripping his throat out. I turned towards the final rogue and got in front of him.

"You have two options... one, you can stay here and end up like your friends, or two you can leave and be spared... not that you deserve to live you scum..." I said coldly. He attacked me. Welp theres his answer.

"Fool" I said as I grabbed him and snapped his neck killing him instantly. I threw his body down and walked towards the strong little filly who still seemed to be alive. My heart sank to the floor when i held her close to me.

"Thank- you-sir...." She said weakly. Her little blue eyes staring at me. I held her closer tears now falling down my face. She weakly lifted a hoof and wiped the tears away. I couldn't help but smile.

"You sure are a strong little filly you know that?" I said trying to keep her alive. She smiled weakly.

"Y-yeah... i guess so...." She said as she buried her face into my chest and cried. I held her closer as well crying. This little filly did nothing wrong at all. She looked up at me and put a hoof on my face. I held the hoof and cried some more.

"Thank you.... sir. You... don't...even know me and yet....you helped me..." She said with a weak smile. I smiled back giving her a slight nuzzle.

"No need to thank me kid...I am always there when danger rears its ugly head." I said as I cradled her. She looked up at me and smiled but then she nuzzled closer and began to tear up.

"Can...Can you do one last thing for me?" She asked me. My heart fell to the floor. I felt a lump in my throat.

"Of course..." I said with a crack in my voice. I began to cry a bit. She looked up at me then she held out a piece of paper.

"Sing this to me please... it's a lulaby my mom use to sing to me..." She said weakly as her eyes began to close. I looked down at the words and closed my eyes, but she wanted this. It was her final request. I began to sing:

Roses await you in your dreams
Heavens grace seems too close to me
I love you more than i could ever hope to
So now the time has come to lay down your head
And dream of tomorrows wonders as you fall asleep
I shall take all your fears away
And leave you roses in their wake

The little filly smiled and then closed her eyes for the final time. I held her little body closer to me and cried for hours. This little filly died in my hooves and it was the act of evil that smited her. I found a spot near some rose bushes and buried her there. Roses did lay at her feet, just as the poem said they would. I said a prayer and continued to walk down the road, my heart still sinking from what i just witnessed. As i continued i saw yet another disturbance only this time a familiar face was taking care of it.

"Just let us through unicorn scum and we will let you live." Said a Pegasus. The familiar unicorn smiled.

'Really now?" The Unicorn said as she hoisted the Pegasus up and put him right in her face. The other Pegasus ran off. To me that was the wisest thing they have done today.

"Hey take it easy..." Said the Pegasus only to be met with a powerful hoof across the face. I smiled a little.

"Fool now you die.." The unicorn said as she snapped the Pegasus' neck and threw him off a cliff. I made sure the coast was clear before greeting my longtime friend.

"Well Illumi Nite your doing well i suppose..." I said with a chuckle, but then she attacked me with a bolt of magic that sent me into a building. My spine felt like it broke in five places.

"What the hell!?" I yelled to her, only to be sent into another building by her magic. It hurt like hell i must admit.

"You fool... where were you when i needed you!?" Illumi Nite said with a growl. My fear took over as it would whenever Illumi Nite was pissed off. I backed away only to be lifted by an auroa and smashed against a tree.

"Illumi Nite please i didn't know... I'm sorry..." I pleaded with her not to kill me. She yelled in anger and slammed me again only this time she put her horn to my throat. Now i was scared. I knew if she wanted to kill me she would.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I LOST STORM!!!! MY CHILD IS DEAD!!!!" Illumi Nite yelled as shde pressed the horn closer to my juggular. The fear in my heart now doubled i began to cry.

"Then let me help you!!" I screamed. Illumi Nite looked at me and then let me go. She looked down and began to cry.

"Why would you help me now?... you weren't there when they killed her..." Illumi Nite said with sorrow in her voice. I walked over to her and put a hoof on her shoulder. She looked at me with tears streaming down her face.

"Cause i've seen things simmilar to your daughters fate Illumi Nite. Things that made me lose my cool as well. I want this to all end and i want harmony to come back but i can't do that without your help... please.... help me..." I pleaded with her. She looked up at me and nodded.

"Let us go then... let us smite the one who killed all the harmony..."

Author's Note:

Wow chapter two is done. Sorry for the delay on this chapter ive been pretty busy as of late chapter 3 comming soon. :D