• Published 25th Apr 2013
  • 1,259 Views, 13 Comments

The chance of a lifetime - Rarity Belle



After an incident in Canterlot, Fluttershy finds a baby Draconequus who has more to him then he gives away.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,259

Prologue

Life is something interesting...

As much as you think it goes just in a straight line...

In reality, it goes every way but...

It was a normal spring evening in the land of Equestria, most ponies made themselves ready to go to bed or already where, some stayed out of bed in order to enjoy the calm weather for just a little longer, some watched upon the stars through a telescope on the balcony of a library, as others made a trot together through the streets, filling them with a posh and southern accent. But some, or better said one, was caring for the many animals around the outskirts of Ponyville. One yellow coated, pink maned Pegasus was still doing her job as best as she could, even if the sun had set she was still as busy as one can ever be.

“Uhm, let’s see here... The beavers got their wood, the otters their fish, the birds their worms, Angel had his carrot... Mister Bear!” she shocked up from the sudden realization before flying back to the small cottage she always had called ‘home’. It was a lovely little home, filled with holes and walkways for little creatures. Visitors and ponies who passed by often wondered themselves how one was able to live in such a house. But when you are used to it, it feel natural for you. Being normal is not set in stone, normal differs from pony to pony.

The yellow coated Pegasus searched high and low in her cabinets for the special jar of honey she always kept behind of the polite bear of the forest. “Oh, where did I left it, where, just where...” But eventually, the missing jar was found on a spot she never truly expected it but didn't bother to question its placing.

She rushed back out of her home again while heading straight for the EverFree Forest. Making her way over towards the cave of the bear she loved so very much. Through makeshifts paths the Pegasus hopped over outgoing roots and ducked for low hanging branches while her eyes kept looking out at anything that might slow her down.

Eventually she came on the small open plain before the cave and she took the sealed jar from under her wing and gently placed it before the entrance while almost whispering, “Mister Bear? Are you home? Or awake?”

A small amount of time began to pass by before the white teeth of a creature at least three times bigger than the Pegasus, but she didn't even move. Suddenly a terrifying roar left the cave as the white fangs disappeared. Any sane pony would just make sure to get away for their lives, but this mare didn't even blink at it.

There it came, out of the darkness of the cave came the creature to whom the teeth belonged and from where the roar came from. A humongous brown bear left the cave on its hindlegs while stretching its fore ones as another yawn left his mouth. Those roars caught up, were in reality just loud yawns, but the echo of the cave changed them drastically. A smile came to his face as the little Pegasus got caught in his eyes before they fell upon the sealed.

He blinked a couple times under a small ‘hmm’ sound and pointed with one of his paws to the jar, and then back to him while speaking in the language of the bear. Which mostly involving growling. He growled something friendly in a manner of saying, is that for me?

She gave a nod under a small and shy smile. “Why yes, yes it is for you.”

He sat down on the ground upon hearing her words and took the jar ever so gently before taking of the lid. He wanted to dig his paw into it, but then realized something. Without a second thought he offered the jar to the Pegasus and growled softly, Would you like some as well?

She gently shook her head before she spoke again. “As much as I honestly do appreciate the offer, this jar is just for you mister Bear.”

He only smiled before digging his paw into the jar and began to eat ever so happily. The Pegasus got allowed a small giggle to leave her mouth after which she said. “I sadly have to go again, be good tonight alright!”

Mister Bear waved back while his paw was covered in honey and kept waving until she was completely out of sight before returning to his beloved honey.

She walked back home a little bit different than she had come as she took the long route home, leading her past wonderful places in the forest, a field of illuminated flowers in the moonlight, a small pond as peaceful as her mind before coming to a plain where the moon shined on for the whole of the night.

The mare was trotting under a small hum and her eyes closed towards this particular plain. Her ears kept themselves perked all the time for sounds around her. But the sound that would fall into her ears soon enough, is something that will not only change her life, but also that of her friends.

A coursing river...

A stream...

Simple things life is often compared with by many...

As she kept wandering near the plain, the sound of a soft snoring caught up in her ears, but it wasn't a snoring she remembered from any creature she knew. The eyelids gently opened themselves, therefore revealing the moderate cyan eyes she had as they watched over to the small open field.

But there, in the middle of it, laid a small figure, even smaller than she was, about the size of a little filly. One of her hooves moved over to her mouth as a small gasp left her mouth. Without a second thought, she quietly galloped over to the figure and inspected it ever so gently. But this being, was not a being she could place in her mind so easily. No known creature in her mind could match the, randomness, that this being had. However, she remembered one kind from books and unpleasant personal experiences that told her enough about this little fellow.

The being where she had laid her eyes on, where she stood next, was looking exactly like the spirit of chaos who lives under the name of Discord. There was one big exception which being the age and size. Given the looks it had, she could only assume it was a male of some kind and she would stick that until proven otherwise.

She couldn't get it over her heart to just leave the being here. The mare gently lowered her head before carefully nudging the little guy, hoping it would wake him up. It appeared to be working as the snoring died down in order to make place for a soft moan of waking up. The dark brown eyelids carefully moved up in order to reveal the yellow eyes and the red pupils.

The Pegasus allowed a warm smile to leave her face as the little creature its eyes fell upon her and only cocked its head a little, clearly not understanding anything the meaning of the smile. She gently lowered herself on her hooves, laying next to him while her wing gently got place over him in order to keep him comfortable and warm.

He however, first found it very uncomfortable that she laid next to him and tried to get away as fast as possible. But as the warm wing was placed comfortably over his cold body, he went into the exact opposite direction and snuggled her body ever so gently. “There, there.” she gently spoke in response to the snuggling, “But what is a child like you doing out here... Are you lost?”

He gave a simple nod in response as the snuggling turned over into cuddling. The Pegasus mare began to wonder things even more, “Do you know where your parents are?” He only shook his head in a negative way as the mare began to feel sorry for the little child, she couldn't leave him here. Not like this. Who knows where his parents are or what they might be themselves. No, she couldn't do it. “Do you have a name?”

He wanted to respond to this question, but only some underage blabbering left his mouth in a cute way while the mare let go a gentle giggle while beginning to nuzzle his little head. “You are adorable.” she spoke in a soft voice. “But we have to return to my home, come, sit on my back if you want.” She opened her wings in order to let him out and he understood her spoken words for he crawled upon the back of the mare who tucked her wing back in nicely.

As he made himself comfortable on the back of the Pegasus, he placed his head against her neck while his eyes closed themselves in order to fall asleep again under the peaceful sounds of the forest as she gently rose back up on her hooves while beginning to carefully trot back through the forest, towards her cottage.

The journey itself was quite the peaceful one in and of itself, much to the relief of the mare. Through the trees and on the horizon, the lights of the cottage became visible while she kept trotting in the same pace, not willing to wake up the being on her back.

When she did finally reach her ever so loved home, the Pegasus carefully opened the door after which she entered the structure while closing the door behind her, “Angel, I am home.”, she said as the white bunny laid on his favorite spot on the couch.

The mare quickly but gently, made her way up to the bedroom where she carefully woke him up. His eyes opened under a cute yawn and a soft moan while blinking a couple times before she stood next to the bed, allowing him to glide off of her back and into the bed to sleep further which he did.

But before he could sleep again, the Pegasus released the hardest question she could ask to him, but she needed to be sure. Under a loud gulp and an even softer voice than normal she brought out what was haunting her mind. “D-Do you have, p-parents?”

He turned his little head towards her as she spoke her words, only to shake his head, confirming the thoughts of the mare. She had already thought it would be that way and couldn’t get it over her heart to let him just wander around in the endless wilderness of the world.

She gently crawled back into the bed herself, lifting her head up with a hoof as her elbow rested on the pillow. “Then... I can be your mother.”

His yellow and red eyes shot open upon those words and only blinked a couple of times before crawling closer to the mare and hugging her tightly as some tears made their way down his face and into her coat, she wrapped both of her forelegs around him as she began to hum very softly.

The humming had the side effect of both calming him down and allowed him to sleep peacefully but kept snuggling his newly adoptive mother. The humming of the mare slowly died down as her own eyes closed themselves and she questioned herself ever so gently. “I hope you know where you got yourself into, Fluttershy...”