• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 1,613 Views, 34 Comments

The Red Sands - GnollReader



A portal spell gone wrong sends Rainbow Dash much farther than originally intended, and crashing into the unexplored and endless desert of the Red Sands.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,613

Chapter 4: The journey begins

"My queen..." Husam bowed low, his eyes fixed on the floor.

"Husam, always modest." the queen smiled kindly, "You know you do not have to bow before me."

Of course he didn't have to, he knew. But it wasn't an act of protocol, it was an act of respect if nothing else. He had sworn to protect and respect the queen and those that carried her blood at all costs. And it was a well-known fact what the Sand Blades did with those that failed to show the necessary respect.

"Rise, my dear Husam. Please, stand at ease."

Husam rose from his position without a sound, raising his eyes slowly but remaining a respectful pose nonetheless, "My queen, I have come with news concerning our guest."

The queen smiled, "As always, you never fail to make progress. Tell me, what have you found out?"

"I have found out that her name is Rainbow Dash, and using the maps Hoca was able to supply, it seems that she comes from a land that lies across the great seas of the east. If I have understood her correctly, she calls it... Equestria."

"A land beyond the great seas?" the queen replied with wonder, "That is interesting indeed... tell me, Husam, what does Hoca think of this? Can he understand her language?"

"I am afraid he has not heard a language such as hers before... As for the idea of a world beyond the great seas, it seems he thinks it possible."

"And what do you think, Husam?"

Husam paused, but only for a moment, "I think it is possible, but I am also wary of Hoca's enthusiasm. We have yet to determine what the discovery of a new world could mean for us. I advise caution."

"I agree." the queen replied, "But if there is truly a new world waiting beyond the horizon, we should go forth and find it." the queen remained silent for a second, "Blade of Faith, hear my decision. I will send Hoca on a diplomatic mission to the world beyond the great seas, along with the pegasus as a sign of our good will. But the journey is long and I do not wish for them to go alone, so I wish for you to accompany them on their travels."

Husam bowed, "Of course my queen. I shall prepare everything right away."

"There is one more thing." the queen interrupted him, "I wish for Bahir to accompany you as well."

Husam frowned, "My brother? He has returned from his mission?"

The queen nodded, "He has... and he has explained his joy at the prospect of working with you. I am, of course aware that the two of you have not always pursued the same goals..."

"He is an assassin." Husam commented with a sour voice.

"And still, his contacts will help your progress considerably. Rest assured, he will be under your command and he has assured me that his guild's resources will be at your disposal as well. I am sure you will perform this task as always."

Husam nodded, "Of course, my queen."

Even as he left to make his preparations, he couldn't help but wonder if there was more to Bahir's presence than the queen would tell him. His brother was talented, and reliable in any situation, there was no doubt about it. But still, his line of work was not something that Husam did not agree with. He was loyal to the queen, at least that Husam was certain of.

Husam wondered how long it had been since the two of them had last met, but as he walked around a corner and into another corridor, he met Bahir, leader of the Hidden Knifes.

The moment he saw him, Husam could see a broad smile appear behind Bahir's veil and saw him raise his hand in a greeting, "Brother! It has been far too long! How is my favorite sand digger these days?"

Husam could already tell this would be a long journey indeed.

---

Rainbow Dash wasn't sure what to make of these last days. She and Hoca had been having a strangely strong sort of tea and sweet biscuits, when Husam had returned to the library in the company of another.

Bahir, as Husam had introduced him, was... amusingly different from Husam. The moment he met her he had been as joyful as a foal, constantly dancing around her with an excited voice, talking to her without end. He was a lively character, and when he moved it almost looked like he was dancing.

Like Husam, Bahir was wearing a long robe and his face was wrapped in the same, black tunic. Unlike Husam though, his robes where shorter and open at the front, showing more of his figure and letting the cloth fly in all directions as he jumped around joyfully.

What caught Rainbow Dash's attention though, was that unlike Husam, Bahir did not carry a long, curved sword. Instead, there were countless daggers and knifes of varying sizes and shapes strapped to his chest and legs. She only caught glimpses of them when his movements caused his robes to move, but the shapes and hilts were unmistakable. It made her feel slightly at unease... for what reason did he need so many of them?

In personalities, Husam and Bahir seemed like complete opposites. While Husam was calm and never wasted any movements or unneeded words, Bahir was almost constantly talking to everyone around him, seemingly not even caring if he didn't get a response. He had even surprised her by juggling a set of Hoca's teacups before her, much to the dismay of Hoca and earning several angered words from Husam.

Most importantly though, the four of them had left the city as the sun started to travel towards the horizon, her hidden from sight under countless sheets of cloth and traveling on the backs of strange animals loaded with supplies. When Rainbow Dash had tried to ask Husam where they were going, he had simply replied, "Equestria."

Now, after three days of travel, Rainbow Dash realized for the first time just how vast the desert around her was. No matter where she looked, there was only sand in all directions. They traveled under the searing sun of the day, the heat so intense that she thanked the stars that she didn't have to walk herself. How the others went through the heat seemingly unaffected was a mystery in itself.

And when night came, the cold came as well. The first night had been cold enough to make her teeth clatter in spite of the countless blankets, and the little fire that Hoca had lit barely helped to spread any warmth. The first night also held a small surprise in store for her... they ate meat as well.

It was dried meat, but she knew that it was meat the moment they took it out. She knew that there were races that ate meat, of course she did, Gilda was a griffon after all. And still, she couldn't help feeling a bit sad for the poor critters that now served as their meal. At least they had brought enough dried fruits, bread and grains for her, though she always felt a bit queasy when eating with them.

It was on one of these nights that she noticed something strange. While she and Hoca always stayed close to the fire, facing the little warmth it gave, Husam and Bahir never did. Instead, they always sat a good distance from them, on a higher dune, eyes averted from the fire and back to back... as if waiting for something. It worried her.