• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 1,610 Views, 34 Comments

The Red Sands - GnollReader



A portal spell gone wrong sends Rainbow Dash much farther than originally intended, and crashing into the unexplored and endless desert of the Red Sands.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,610

Chapter 5: Blood under the sun

"This is the third week... We're getting close now." Husam's voice broke the silence as he and his brother sat atop of the dune.

"You think the Dusam will cause a problem?" Bahir replied behind him, "We'll leave their territory within the next day."

"They have been on our trail since we entered it." Husam commented.

"Not that they've made much of an effort to disguise it though. I always thought the nomads were more talented." Bahir chuckled as he played with one of his knives, "We could have just avoided this path if it troubles you so much."

"No." Husam shook his head, "That would have meant we'd have to go through three different cities on the way, and I'd rather not stop considering what we are transporting."

Bahir turned his head to look to where Rainbow Dash and Hoca were sitting, "Those two get along nicely though, don't they? I think Hoca has even managed to teach her some words... how is she, by the way?"

Husam sighed, "Hoca says that her wounds are getting better each day and that she'll be able to walk soon. Though I worry what will happen when she regains her ability to fly."

"You're worried she'll take off on her own and leave us behind? We could just tie her down..."

"No, that would be wrong..." Husam sighed, "She is a creature of the wind, and just like a bird she is likely to feel the drive to take off and fly. I doubt that she would leave us, this country is unknown to her after all... but if she were to fly it would risk her being discovered." he turned slightly to Bahir, "And you know the queen does not wish that."

Bahir laughed, "Always loyal to the queen. If you were of noble blood she'd probably marry you in an instant."

"Watch your tongue." Husam's voice carried a threat.

"Of course, of course..." Bahir chuckled, "But seriously, what are we going to do if the Dusam come any closer?"

"Must you really ask?" Husam replied with a low voice. On his scimitar, one of his bells gave off short sound as he shifted.

"Heh..." Husam could hear his brother grin, "This brings back memories, doesn't it? Just the two of us, preparing for bloodshed before it has even started... Are you still as talented with your scimitar as you were back then? How many bells are you up to by now? Three? Four?"

"Seven." Husam replied with an impassive voice.

Bahir let out a whistle of surprise, "Seven already? I'm going to enjoy seeing that dance of yours again..."

Husam let out a humph, "And you? Are you still as good with those knives of yours as you were back then?"

Bahir laughed, "I got even better..."

"Let us hope you did." Husam spoke, "Because we're likely going to need them when we try to leave the Dusam territory."

Behind him, Bahir flipped one of his knives into the air, not even watching the blade's path as it spun above him and catching it by its tip as it descended again. With a flick of his fingers, the blade started to dance over his hand, spinning in every direction as it whirled around his hand and wrist soundlessly, "Can't wait for it." he chuckled, "I just hope our little pegasus won't be too shocked when she sees your dance, sand blade."

Husam did not respond, but only readjusted the position of his scimitar for a quick draw. The Dusam were nomads, true enough... but they were also known as raiders, and he doubted they would simply let them leave their territory.

---

Rainbow Dash was worried. This morning, Husam had muttered a short string of words to Hoca, and the old man's face had paled considerably at his words. She had tried to use the few new words she had learned to find out what was going on, but Hoca's reply only gave her scarce information. Apparently, there was some sort of danger... and she was supposed to hide beneath her blankets at all costs. Something that made the incredible heat even more excruciating.

They continued their journey, her hidden under the cover of her blankets, peeking out of from the cover to gaze at the world around her. Nothing had changed though, it was still just red sand and blue sky in all directions. It constantly called to her, what she wouldn't give for a brief moment of flight... but her wing still hadn't fully recovered yet. At least her leg was getting better and better. She figured it would be a matter of a few days until she could walk on her own... if they let her, of course.

At least the view wasn't that bad. She could see all of them from her place, and she was even able to pick up on some of their conversations... even though Bahir and Hoca seemed to be the ones doing most of the talking. Husam raised his voice only on few occasions, sometimes to answer a question and other times to tell them to set up camp.

There was something strange about the way he moved and talked... something that she had never seen before. His whole demeanor seemed different from the others, purposely even. But to what purpose? She contemplated what she knew about her companions. Hoca was obviously a scholar of some sort, maybe even a teacher considering how many words he had managed to teach her. Bahir for all she could tell, was something of a clown or an entertainer... the way he moved always reminded her of a dancer.

But Husam... she couldn't quite put the pieces together on him. What was his special talent? Was it related to that strange sword he carried? How none of the little bells ever gave off a sound as he moved? She had heard Hoca call him Sword of Belief or something similar... Faith, perhaps? Somewhere inside her heart she hoped she had misunderstood the words.

On the eve of that day though, something happened. At first she didn't know what was going on, Husam simply raised his hand and told them to stop as he and Bahir descended from their mounts... camels, Hoca had called them. Funny animals with strange lumps on their backs that made even stranger noises.

For what seemed like minutes, Husam and Bahir just stood there... as if waiting for something. Just as Rainbow Dash was about to poke her head out from beneath her covers though, several figures appeared from behind one of the dunes. One look was enough to tell her that they were the same as their companions, though unlike Husam and Bahir, they did not cover their faces. From what she saw, there were eight of them.

The moment they appeared, she could feel the mood shift and an uneasy feeling spread over her.

The figures approached, clad in blue robes and seated upon camels. She could see several spears and more curved swords. As they drew near, five of the strangers got down from their rides while the others remained seated with spears held firmly in their hands.

The five walked towards Husam and Bahir with quick steps. As they drew closer, two of them detached themselves and walked up to the two brothers while the others watched in silence.

Rainbow Dash strained her ears to listen to the conversation at the front, but from what she could hear they were talking a language entirely different from the one Hoca had taught her. She could hear one of the strangers talk in an agitated voice, gesturing furiously as Husam and Bahir listened. Husam gave an answer with a calm voice, but it only seemed to anger the other one even more.

A string of harsh words escaped him, and Rainbow Dash watched in shock as the stranger reached for his sword... it never left its scabbard.

For a short moment, the sound of a bell could be heard ringing through the air softly... a flash of light blinded her as Husam's scimitar shot of its sheath. A scream cut through the silence and something could be heard whirling through the air, followed by several thumps. When Rainbow Dash had regained her eyesight, she was shocked by what she saw.

Four of the five in the front were lying on the ground, unmoving as their blood seeped into the sand from long cuts. Behind them, those that had stayed on their camels had fallen down from their mounds, clutching at daggers stuck in their throats even as they died. As Bahir collected his daggers from the bodies with a playful motion and whistled a happy tune to himself, Rainbow Dash's eyes traveled to Husam.

Husam was standing in front of the fifth stranger, watching him in silence as he held the stump of his arm where Husam's blade had cut off his hand. Her eyes followed Husam's scimitar, it looked sharp, terribly sharp... With a movement so fast she could barely see it and without a sound, the scimitar traveled through the air a final time before returning to its sheath. The stranger before him collapsed to the ground unmoving, his head rolling down the dune with a soft thud.

Rainbow Dash felt her stomach turn as she watched the head roll on... she now knew what Husam's special talent was, and why he was called Sword of the Faith.

---

At the front, Bahir gave off a laugh as he watched Rainbow Dash puke her guts out, "Ha! I told you she'd freak out. Nice slice, by the way. I could hardly see it!"

"Show some sympathy for the poor thing!" Hoca called out with a shaky voice, "Was that really necessary?!"

Bahir chuckled, "Remember that they went for their swords first..." he gave one of the bodies a nudge with his foot, "You can try and argue with them about it, but I fear they won't be very talkative now, won't they dear brother?"

"Collect your daggers." Husam replied quietly, "We will move on immediately." his gaze traveled over the bodies, "What a senseless waste of water..."