• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 510 Views, 2 Comments

The Choices We Make - observer of dimensions



Well it has been nine years since the first portal (or bridge as some call it) to Equestria opened due to some type of spell mishap on their side. I have lived here quitely in this mystical land for four years. I guess an adventure changes that.

  • ...
3
 2
 510

A brief History Lesson

Well here I am in Ponyville waiting for tomorrow to come so I can continue my journey to find my friend. Hmmm that doesn't really sound like a good introduction. Okay let me start with my name. I am Daniel Voca and as the natives here call my kind I am a Hie. why they do that, I don't know, but at lest it is in good fun. I'm getting off track so let's head back to the task at hand...the best way to explain it is to start telling you a bit about history on how I came here and what not. Yea I know it isn't the most interesting subject but I need to go through it so things can make sense.

Nine years ago the first warp hole appeared ( I rather not say portal, to mainstream). From what I heard apparently some strong Unicorn was experimenting with teleportation magic and ending up creating a bridge between worlds. The warp hole appeared in the US at a public spot soooo no government cover up. At first it was the usually we are being invaded by aliens/monsters/whatever you can think of and then some. Thankfully first contact happened and things started to get better. I won't bore you with the details so I'll make this short. Governments official meet, they talked, treaties were made and cultures were exchange. There was that brief uproar of little kids getting excited about the talking ponies but I think that died down.


Anyway four years ago both governments decided to start a experimental project. This project involved having humans live in Equestria which was a big step up from short visiting trips. I guess I should mention that there wasn't any plans to bring any of that world's residents over to live here. Very few ever stay in our world more then a week.

I decided to sign up and after a gurgling screening process (No lie, along with the normal things they did a full psychological analysis plus you couldn't have more the three misdemeanors on your criminal record). I was accepted of course since I'm talking about it. Now I wasn't just dropped into Equestria to fend for myself. The way it worked was once in Equestria a host would provide a home for us. From there we would work out everything else. The human to host ratio varied so some humans lived together under one household while others like myself lived alone with their host.

This is how I met my first and best pony friend. The same friend I am now trying to find. One can not simply talk about a friend and not describe them. She is. . .well female. Her name is Sundance and she is a earth pony. She has yellow fur though I don't know what shade of yellow so let's just say it's a dusty yellow. For her mane and tail she has alternating colors of ruby red and light orange strands. The top part of her mane is brush off to the left side. She has the most beautiful apple green eyes anyone/anypony has seen. The final part of her description is of course her cutie mark. It so happens to be a open book with a quill in the middle of writing something down on the right page. It's fitting since she is an editor for small time writers.

Now that I got the history lesson as well as my friends depiction out of the way let me talk about what happened three days ago.

It was the afternoon and I was fishing at a pond near the town I lived in. The town's name was Gazington. It is a small town so there not really a need to talk about it much. Anyway I had decided to call it quits after catching three fish. I pack up my stuff and place my catch in a cooler to bring home. Yes I'm allowed to catch and eat fish in Equestria (For all other sources of meat I would need to send in a request to my world for what I desire). I was on the path home when I heard the sound of wings flapping just above me. I being curious and all looked up. Above me was a female Griffin I just happen to know. "Hello there Gilda."

The Griffin's usual annoyed expression became a solemn one. "Hey, you got any fish?" she asked. "Yes I do." I replied cheerfully. I then reopened the cooler grabbed my biggest catch and tossed it to her. After a quick examination of the fish she looked at me and said "Thanks...biped" and with that she took off into the sky.

I wouldn't say Gilda was a friend, she is more of an acquaintance on good terms. Usually if I see her when I have meat I offer her some or she asks. I don't mind doing it considering meat is a part of her diet yet she lives in a place were the natives don't have any need for such food.

Finally I reached the house. Upon walking inside and avoiding one of the two constant evils in my life; the top of the door frame, the voice of Sundance greeted me. "Daniel! how was the fishing catching anything."

"To answer your questions my dear friend...good and yes." I said doing my best gentlemanly impression. Hearing a small laugh come from her work room I drop my stuff and headed down the hallway to my target. I found Sundance in front of her desk which facing the opposite direction I was in. Her ears rotated to face me indicating that she knew I was there. Her forehooves were tapping away on a pony-made typewriter (yes, a typewriter the pre-computer printer). As I got closer she stopped, rose onto her hind legs and bent backwards slightly in a stretch. "YES, finally done." she spoke in jubilee. I heard a cracking sound come from her back before she returned to all fours.

I raised an eyebrow. Sure she got happy when she finished editing but ever this excited. "Oh, and what makes this any different then the other times?"

She turned to face me and smiled. "Because now I'm official on vacation." Making a hoof pump as she finished.

"Ah then we must make a plan to do something in the near future my dear friend." I said in a gentlemanly manner. " 'Indeed good sir." she replied in a lady like fashion. Oddly enough after our little skit I thought I saw Sundance frown but it was right at that moment that my body decided that I needed to blink. After regaining sight from my millisecond of blindness there was no frown on her face. Instead all I saw was her normal smile that she always wore when she was happy.

There is much to say about the rest of the day. After chatting with Sundance I placed my fish in my personal refrigerator. Sundance doesn't mind me catching fish but that doesn't mean she wants to see them in the regular fridge. Once that was done I joined Sundance on the couch and continued to read a book I was currently on. What...no there isn't any T.V. here even though the ponies have the ability make them. Sometimes I miss it but I will live...the internet was a bit harder to go without but I survived the withdraw and at least they have radios which actual plays some songs from my world.

Later, once dinner was devoured and stomachs satisfied I want up to my room. I took care of my hygiene and then with everything out of the way I presented my body to my bed. It took me with no questions asked.


I woke up abruptly for no reason. I don't know what time it was but I'm sure it was late. I laid there in bed, my eyes scanned the room to see if something was there. Something must have woken me up but I didn't know what it could be. there wasn't anything out of the ordinary however...well besides a tingly sensation on my lips. With my fight or flight response dissipating I fell back to sleep.


The sound of birdies chirping woke me up. I zombied my way to the bathroom for my morning ritual then downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast. It was there I realized something out of place. It was eighteen minutes past nine Sundance should be up and making her breakfast by now. Sure some could say that since she is now on vacation she might be sleeping in. The thing is I was the one who slept in. Even on days off Sundance would have been up by nine it's just how she was.

At the time didn't think much of it. Maybe she went to get groceries or run a errand. So I placed it at the back of my mind as I finished my breakfast (which was oatmeal by the way). Skipping the rest of my normal morning actives brings us to me heading off to Magic class. Magic class you say? What do you mean 'magic class' your a human from a planet that initially didn't have magic. Well guess what I Do have the ability to use magic. It was a surprise to all really. Once arriving in Equestia some of the humans felt a strange sensation within themselves. It wasn't long after that someone unknowingly performed a spell. This of course lead to the discovery that some humans had some innate power to use magic. The natural magic of this world acted as the catalyst which made it possible.

Now before you go off and say that it makes us overpowered then I got something to tell you. You're wrong. First, out of all the humans in this world very few are able to use magic. Umm I would say out of a group of two hundred humans only thirty can do magic. Also our magic works on the same bases as Unicorn magic. This means that each one of us is good at a certain spell group. I so happened to excel at casting enhancement spells.

The two hour class past unfortunately quickly. It's like they say 'time flies when you're having fun." Soon after the class I headed back home for lunch. Normally I would have gone to work but as of right now that was impossible. I work at a restaurant called the 'Family Herd'. Being a dexterous human with magic is a big help especially during the busy season. For now however Family herd was closed for renovations.

This may bring up questions involving money. Well there is no need to worry I have enough saved up. Sundance gets good pay plus she is given money every month for being my host by the Equestrian government.

I entered the house and went straight to the kitchen for some good old peanut-butter jelly time. I got the required items but as I was about to stick a knife into the peanut-butter container I notice something I hadn't before. The house was quiet. Too quiet.

"Sundance..." no answer. I". "honey I'm home". Every once and awhile I would say that jokingly. It seem to cause her to fluster quite a bit when ever I said that I hope I would get a raise out of her but again no response. I got the nagging feeling something was off. I could have pushed it to the back of my mind making myself believe that my dear pony friend and host was still out somewhere. I however did no such thing. Abandoning the knife in the container I set about searching the house.

It didn't take long to search the entire and needless to say it was fruitless. Defeated I started my way back to the kitchen. I won't lie, I was worried. Yes I did think about reasons why she wasn't home yet still be safe but that didn't help.

I entered the kitchen and looked around. Nothing was out of place...well besides the food I had out. With nothing else I could do I finished making my sandwich. It didn't take long to eat the whole thing. My stomach was happy but the rest of me wasn't.

Since I had used a plate to put my sandwich on I did what any consciences person (or pony) would do. I placed in on the counter next to the sink. A funny thought came to me. there was only one bowl and one plate on the counter This may not seem like a big deal to most but to me, a man who currently had heighten awareness due to worry of a missing friend I notice it. The bowl was mine I had used it for breakfast. I don't exactly remember put my bowl on the counter but hey I was on auto-pilot. Heck a spoon was sticking out of it...one made for humans, and the plate...do I really have to say?

Sure Sundance could have had something for breakfast that didn't involved leaving evidence but we were out of such food items. Neither of us would skip a meal even if we were running late for something.

That, I can say was the last straw. I needed to search for her in town and if I can't find her I would make a report to the authorities. Thus I took off into town to find her.

I run through town asking any pony, human or other if they had seen her (or anypony with her description to those who didn't know her.) As I said Garzington was a small town. The population is just around three hundred mostly ponies with a few humans here and there. Even though I say it's a small town it still took me four hours to talk to everyone I saw.

My search was fruitless as a dead apple tree. In the end I ended up at the town square. In the middle of the square was a fountain. the base was circler. There was a statue of a Unicorn in a rearing position. The water continuously sprouted from the horn. My legs were tired from all the running around I did. The fountain base looked like a good place to sit so I sat own.

Waiting for the throbbing pain in my legs to go away I began people watching. Numerous ponies and humans walking about. Some were talking to others. Some just walked about minding their own business. Then...then there wee those who were no doubt sharing a romantic moment. Ponies hugging other ponies (some kissing) Humans holding hands and a whole lot of other stuff. Deep down I envy them. Before I my thought could go any farther my name was called.

It was male voice so I didn't get my hopes up. I didn't want to be rude even though I wasn't in the mood to talk so I looked for the owner of the voice. searching the coward I found one midnight blue pony with black hair and teal eyes heading straight toward me. I was a little surprise by who it was. Night Watch. In this universe where ponies are given names that relate to their will be talent or personality Night Watch's name should an easy guess. It is the same reason why I was confused and surprised that he was out and about in the sunlight. He was a night owl if you ever saw one. Sundance and I became friends with him after me defused a situation with a drunk pony.

"Night Watch? what are you doing here?" I said as soon as he was close enough.

He chucked "Tryin' to find ya before my shift." My response was a cocked eyebrow. Yesterday...or I guess you could say today Sundance came by ma-" "You saw Sundance." I spoke almost yelling. Night Watch grunted not pleased with my interruption. "As I said I saw Sundance at my post around...one forty, two-a-clock and she asked me to give ya a message before ma next shift which is now. She said that she is heading out of town to find something doesn' know when she will back but told me to tell ya not to worry and she sorry that she left suddenly with a word."

I blinked a few times as my mind tried to process what I had just been told. I did give a verbal response one I did, and it went like this. "WHAAAAAAAT" I think several bystanders jumped at my shout but I wasn't really paying attention. Night Watch was rubbing his ears with his hooves.

"Why, just freaking why. She made it sound like we would be able to vacation together, yet she pulls this." I fumed, getting to my feet and pacing back and forth.

At this point Night Watch recovered. "I don't know why I just was asked to leave the message." Night rubbed the back of his head with a hoof. He opened it up but closed it. He then turned around and started trotting away. My internal reactor cooled down enough for me to think. Why had Sundance left so early in the morning. and why hadn't she left some sort of note or tell Night watch to tell me where she was going. One answer came to me that seem the most plausible. She had deliberately kept me in the dark. What ever she was doing was either something I wouldn't approve of or something she didn't want me to get involved with for my own good (I know that because that is the type of pony she is.). I reentered the world of reality. The crowd had gotten over my outburst and was now returning to their normal lives. I didn't really care about that, instead I cared about finding Night Watch before he disappeared. I was lucky, he hadn't gone far.

"Night. Hey Night Watch." His ears turned back to me before the rest of his body followed. "Which direction did she leave in?"

"ahh The town's west exit."

I ponder for a moment trying to think of what was in that direction. Night Watch apparently saw my predicament and gave me his educated guess. "Well there is the town of Ponyville bout fifteen or so miles in that direction. In between is just grassland so it's not dangerous."

"Thanks." I said before taking off toward the house Leaving Night Watch to his own devices. I had someplace to go and only a few hours of daylight left.


I guess I'm lucky that I had done some camping with family during my youth. I Once I had reach the house I made a mad dash to gather up everything I needed. extra clothes, food rations, bit bag, and maps. There was other stuff but is there a need to mention everything.

I might not have needed to get all this stuff if I could simply take a train. The was however, a problem with that. The powers that be decided that today would be the day they shut down the station so crews could work on track maintenance near said station. So trekking though the grassland is was.

With everything packed in my backpack and on my back, I left. I wasn't stopped until I reach the town limit where a officer was making his rounds. "Dan? what are ya doing?" the guard who so happened to be Night Watch asked. He sounded more curious then integrative.

"Going after Sundance." I said nonchalantly. Having superpowers of mind reading (not really) I could tell he was going to ask me why. "Because I'm her friend and no matter what reason she has for keeping me in the dark I'm not about to sit around the house all day waiting for her return. I'm going after her and find out what it is that made her want to leave to find it." I grinned.

Night Watch stare emotionless at me for a second then smiled. "well you better get going then." I nodded before jogging away.

If I wasn't in such a hurry I would have enjoyed the scenery. Bight sun with few clouds and tall grass everywhere besides the dirt path I was jogging or should I say running like the dickens. I had cast a spell on myself to extend my endurance so I was able to run at full speed for quite some time.

Even running as fast I as I can fifteen miles is still fifteen miles. It took me till evening to get to Ponyville. Once I was close I released the spell and retuned to impulse. I did get a few looks from the residents, some even asked if I was ok or why I was in a rush. At first I replied I was alright and such then after my mind cleared I proceeded to facepalm myself realized I could have asked them about Sundance. I did just that from then on everytime I came across a pony, human or other. Eventually I was told to go to the library. Thankfully somepony had seen a pony fitting Sundance's depiction heading into the previous spoken of place.

Disregarding the fact that the library could be and most likely was closed. I ended up at the front door after I was given directions. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Coommiiing" A male voice called out from the other end. There were several thumping noises which I assumed as a earth pony making his way to the door. A second after the thumping notices stopped the door opened. I was wrong, it wasn't a earth pony it was a purple dragon.

The dragon was just a foot short then me (I'm 5'10'') with green ear fins and spikes along his spine. I stared at him for what seemed like an hour. It wasn't of fear, oooohhh no that wasn't it at all. I Like dragons.

"Um hello, need something? we're kind of closed right now." The dragon's deep but kind voice brought me out my stupor.

'Oh right um...hello I was told that a yellow pony with a red an orange mane came here."

The dragon opened his mouth to say something but a voice from beyond the stairs called out. "Spike? is somepony there?" The voice was female.

The dragon turned his head toward the stairs. 'Yup...um" He looked at me with a brow raised I assumed he wanted my name so told him I was Daniel. "A guy by the name of Daniel is looking for somepony."

"Daniel? a human?"

"No...Daniel from accounting." Spike gave me a small grin.

"We have a pony named Dan in accounting?" The female was clearly confused from what I could tell from her voice.

"Nope...just messing with ya Twilight. It is a human." the dragon chuckled loudly. There was a moment of Silence then the next thing I know a poof of purple smoke comes out of nowhere only to reveal a purple Alicorn. It was then realized that Twilight Sparkle Princess of Magic still lived in Ponyville.

After some tea and Biscuits while sitting on cushions I explained to the princess for my reason being there so late.

"yes, Sundance did come by earlier today. She wanted to research transformation spells." Twilight put a hoof to her chin recalling the event.

"Transformation?"

"Yes, unfortunately she didn't seem to be able to find what she was looking for so I asked her if I could help." I wanted to speak up but decided against it; I was in front of royalty after all. Twilight continued "She was look for a particular spell transformation spell in mind." She paused, which if I didn't know any better was for dramatic effect. "Transform Ponies into other humans and vice-versa."

A mix of confusing and bewilderment spread across my face. "Um wait...the closest you can get is a well made illusion spell...I don't know the complexes of magic but isn't that spell impossible to do?."

Twilight gave me a sad yet calm look. "As of right now there isn't any spell for such a propose. Most transformation spells are for inorganic material. I mean it could be possible but that evolves a lot of research to do...but if there is a mistake in the equation even if is minuscule it could lead to a huge disaster...even worse, nothing could be wrong if the spell formula itself and yet it could still result horrible just because how our bodies are."

"Um twilight...I think he wanted an answer not a lecture." Spike said. (I totally forgot he was there.) Princess Twilight blushed but quickly recovered.

A question popped into my mind and I voiced it. "I mean no disrespect but your talent is magic wouldn't you be able to find a quick way make a transformation spell?"

"I...sorry I can't. Just because my talent is magic it doesn't mean I know everything pertaining to it nor can I bend the rules of magic to do what I want." She frowned.

"No worries" I wave my hands. "but if you can't help her then where did she go? I checked the hotels but none of them have seen her and there is only one road leading here from Grazington I would have seen her on my way here."

The room got unnaturally quiet. The Princess had a nervous expression on her face. She knew something and I intended to find out what it was. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long. Almost Immediately she spoke up in a nervous voice. "Ah well I may have said something in passing about how there could be a higher chance that changelings might be better suited to know about transformation."

She ducked her head and flattened her ears readying herself for a outburst. Luckily for her it never came. Instead I just started at her surprised. My feeling weren't directed to her however it was directed to Sundance. Would she really travel to the Changeling's homeland to find out. Why was it so important to find a transform spell that could work on changing a pony into a human or a human into a pony. Either way I needed to find her.

Blinking a few times I was about to regain my composure and wit. I then thanked Twilight for the tea and the help before I want to get my bag.

'Your going to follow her aren't you?" Spike said once the bag was on my back. I simple turned and nodded. Suddenly a letter appeared in front of me.

"it's to late to head off now...show that to anypony working the counter at any of Ponyville's hotels. They should open a room for you no matter what." I opened my mouth to ask why she was doing this. She answered before the question passed my lips. "Princess or not I want to help anypony...or anyone I can...it's just who I am." She chuckled.

I smiled back and thanked her and Spike once again before I headed to the closet hotel I could find.