• Published 20th Apr 2013
  • 2,036 Views, 74 Comments

Trixie's Horrible Error; Twilight's Fading Light - Honey Heart the filly



It's been about 3 weeks since Trixie had come to Ponyville, and even after all that time, something is still wrong with Twilight, and nopony can figure out what. When Luna comes to Ponyville to visit, everything goes totally wrong...

  • ...
6
 74
 2,036

1: Luna's Accident Must Be Fixed

A spell countered, a story untold,
Spirits are broken, sight unfolds.
Darkest days, endless night,
Only one can save the helpless knight.

Twilight Sparkle was asleep, as unlikely as it sounds, around noontime.

It had been a little over 3 weeks since the Great and Powerful Trixie had stopped in Ponyville, only to be run out that night after an attack from an Ursa Minor. However, the intense load of heavy magic it stole from her horn to deflect the Ursa from Ponyville was immense, and for the first week, she had barely moved or been conscious for more than an hour at a time. She had started to recover after that, though slowly. About 3 days after that, she had seemed okay, if a little fidgety. Her face hadn't been quite right, either. Now, she was bedridden again, moaning in her sleep as if in pain, and even in her waking hours her eyes were shaded with longing, as if she had lost something close to her. But, as far as anypony, including Twilight herself, knew, she had not lost anything. Then, she received a letter from her mentor and ruler, Princess Celestia. She got a little more energetic when Spike told her. She read the letter, detailing how to cast a new spell that she wanted her favorite faithful student to learn before they met later that week. Twilight groaned and laid back down. "I prevented the utter destruction of Ponyville at the hands of an Ursa Minor, and barely get time to recover? Ugh..." Nevertheless, she stood up, a little unsteady, and took the letter in her hoof, walking down to the door.

"Spike?" she called from the door. "Be careful while I'm out, I shouldn't be gone long, but you've heard the rumors..." Of course, Spike had kept her up to date on the happenings of Ponyville while she was out of it. Rumors had been spreading about the Great and Powerful Trixie's self-destructive path through half of Equestria since her midnight escape. It seemed she was in a crashing downward spiral. Last anypony had heard, she was in a very nearby city, and might try to come through again. "If she comes back to Ponyville, you should let me know. Stay away from her, too, she's pure trouble..." Then, her mind set, she left the treehouse library, heading for the park to practice the new spell.

She made it to the park, and re-read the letter one last time to make sure she knew what she was meant to do. At the same time, a deep blue alicorn pony alighted in a nearby field, having come to visit Ponyville and all her friends there. She at once felt a surge of magic, but it was as if the pony she was detecting was being distorted somehow, she couldn't quite feel exactly where he or she was. She decided to use her much more powerful magic to end whatever spell might be being cast on her. She concentrated on her horn at the same time Twilight actually began following the directions. What happened next was almost indescribably horrifying. Princess Luna's counterspell was being cast on the poor, purple-maned filly, who was completely unaware. Twilight erupted with what little magic she had, pouring most of it into the spell to see if she was able to cast it in her current state. Never mind the fact that it was dangerous to attempt a spell in her state...

She started breathing heavily with exhaustion, then suddenly, began to drift into the space-time continuum, for Celestia had sent her student an experimental teleportation spell. However, something didn't feel right to the lavender filly, and she began to sweat as she poured her last spark of magic into it, trying to complete the spell. However, at that moment, when the last bit of Twilight's magic entered the portal, completing it finally, Luna's counterspell slammed into Twilight, throwing her full force through the now-destabilized portal...

She screamed for an instant, just long enough that Luna knew what pony she had just assaulted, before the counterspell closed the portal, tearing apart the tunnel that Twilight had created. When the destructive force of the counterspell finally shattered the whole tunnel, she was forced back into the continuum. however, her body and mind split like magnets switched to repel each other. Her body successfully returned to her world...right on top of a frightened Luna's back. Her mind, however, was shoved brutally into another universe, yet it was the same place, the same Equestria, so for now, it went unbeknownst to anypony.

Twilight was knocked out by the strain of her magic being consumed entirely again, as well as being torn through space and time by Luna's counterspell. Her body now rested on the frantic princess' back, supported by magic as she flew as fast as she could back to Canterlot. Her visit with Fluttershy and Applejack, as sweet as that meeting would've been, would have to wait. The interminable distance was excruciating to Luna, as she thought that perhaps the pony would die on her back before they reached their destination. The landing hadn't been easy, even softened by Luna, whose legs had buckled under the slamming weight of the tiny filly at first. Finally, after a mere 15 minutes, which had felt like eternity for the princess, they alighted in the palace gardens.

No longer needing her wings for flight, she tucked the comatose filly under her right wing and dashed full-speed down the corridors. She reached the bedchambers of the royal princesses, flinging the doors open straight into the two guard pegasi in her hurry. She slammed the door behind her and screamed as loud as she possibly could. "SISTER! PLEASE, COME TO ME, THERE'S BEEN A TERRIBLE TRAGEDY!" Then, Luna collapsed onto her bed, worn out from her speedy flight to her current place. A whole ten minutes later, Celestia entered the room, having been out in the city on business. Upon her return, she'd been informed immediately of her sister's distress, and the sight of a small, lavender pony under her wing as she charged through the castle. She immediately ran to her sister's side, a look of intense concern on her face. "What is the matter, dear sister? Why have you suddenly taken to running wild through the castle and..." She spied Twilight, still insensible, underneath Luna's wing. "...and...a-and......" Celestia was speechless, taking the pony in her hooves. "T-T...Twilight?" was all she could manage before she nuzzled the lavender pony, hoping for any kind of response. When she received none, she stared helplessly at Luna. "What...What happened...?" And her sister looked down sadly.

"It's all my fault, dear sister..." With that, Luna launched into the story of how she accidentally attacked Twilight in the park, and then her flight here. She wrapped her wings over her head the entire time, and barely dared to peek at the princess now that she had finished.

"Oh, Luna...I know that it's been a thousand years, but peace reigns in Equestria. There are no hit-ponies anymore..." She stared with love and understanding at her dear little sister. She handed Twilight back to Luna and wandered to her own bed. "I had heard she was in bad shape, but this...There is more at work here than meets the eye. Even a small filly like Twilight should have recovered from her encounter with the Ursa by now, so it must be something else...Was there anything else out of the ordinary around at the time...?" The sun princess had devolved to speaking to herself, distracted as she was by the comatose Twilight in Luna's hooves. She thought long and hard about the predicament before finally arriving at a conclusion. "Hey, Luna. Wasn't that obnoxious Trixie in Ponyville at the time the Ursa attacked? I'm almost positive she had something to do with it, actually." The darker mare nodded solemnly, agreeing with her sister that the blue pony had indeed been present at the same time.

"But what does that have to do with little Twilight, here? She was only in town for the day before and night of the attack, and then she was chased out of town." Luna sighed, thinking all was for naught. But the thought didn't leave either princess, and so they decided to bring her in to see what happened.

The next day, Luna left as soon as the moon was set for the day, flying out the balcony and turning to fly towards Manehattan, the last known location of the filly she wanted. She thought during the journey of nothing but the beautiful lavender pony sleeping soundly in her bed still, the coma not letting off for a moment all night. At last, she had reached the city of Manehattan, and immediately started questioning residents as to the whereabouts of the Great and Powerful Trixie.

They acted strange, but eventually pieced together that she left town last night in a rushed flurry, leaving almost everything behind. This convinced Luna, more than anything else, that something about Trixie had affected Twilight that night, as it also seemed the reverse was true, for the direction she took left no doubt, her path would reach Ponyville by daybreak. Meaning that she was just now reaching the border of the small town...

Trixie was running. She didn't know why or how she had run so far so fast, but SOMETHING was drawing her to Ponyville. It had started as a nagging feeling the second she heard about Twilight's accident. By nightfall, she couldn't ignore it, even to pack, and just burst off down the road. The sun had just started to rise when she saw Ponyville's roofs in the distance. She smiled. If Twilight was still there, she knew she could somehow help the lavender pony with her problems. She entered the city after a couple more minutes of running, and navigated by the nagging in her head directly to Twilight's house/library. She knocked impatiently, then drug a hoof through the dirt as she stood there a few moments. When nothing happened inside, she tried the door, and it opened.

She stepped into the abandoned house, looking around. "I wonder where she is, now..." She decided to question some of the townspeople, despite the incident of three weeks ago. Nopony had any answers, as Luna took Twilight straight from the fields she was practicing in to Canterlot. She was getting very frustrated, as the nagging still told her to be in Twilight's house. So, she went back and decided to take a nap, since the feeling went away when she was actually inside the tree library.

Not an hour later, she woke to the sound of knocking. "Huh...What...?" She was groggy from the sleep deprivation combined with actually sleeping, and stumbled to the door. She opened it to see two white stallions of the Royal Guard, straight from Canterlot. "Greetings, madam." said the first guard. "Might you be the pony known as Trixie?" said the second guard. "Why, yes, it is I, the Great and Powerful Trixie. What could I possibly have done to attract the attention of the Royal Guard?" She was concerned, and worried that this might hold her up in her search for Twilight, so she wanted it over with as quickly as possible.

"We are here to take you to Canterlot, at our leader, Princess Luna's, order. Please, do not be afraid. You have done nothing wrong, that anypony knows of. In fact, you may yet be our greatest ally in this time of need." Trixie sighed. "The Great and Powerful Trixie does not have time to help you right now. She is too busy on her own mission. Perhaps another time." Obviously, Luna had put them under orders not to leave without Trixie, one way or another. "We implore you, see reason. You may be the only pony that can help." Trixie was flattered that they were saying this. "What could be so disastrous that only I, the Great and Powerful Trixie, can help? Tell me, and I might consider your request."

The first guard sighed. What could be more important...But maybe she hadn't heard. "Currently, there is a unicorn in very real danger at Canterlot. If she isn't woken up from her current state, and soon, she may never return. The princesses, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to contact you. Princess Luna herself tracked you all the way to Manehattan, only to hear that you had taken off, so thought it easier to send the two of us to collect you instead, as following you might lead to an interminable chase." The guards waited hopefully, knowing that any more delay might be disastrous to their own lives, the wrath of Princess Luna at tardy guards being legendary already.

After a short delay as she thought it over, she spoke once more. "What unicorn could possibly be so important to the princesses, that they look anywhere and everywhere for help?" The guard instantly looked at her as if she were mental. "Why, Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia's personal student of magic, of course. Didn't you hear about this already?" Trixie stood, as if frozen in ice, staring but not seeing. Could it be true, she wondered. Could these guards take her to the mare she had been seeking? It took her a full minute to regain composure enough to reply. "Of course, the Great and Powerful Trixie would indeed come to the aid of such a...famous unicorn." She almost said lovely, and quickly changed it to famous on the fly. She smiled at the guards. "Lead the Great and Powerful Trixie, then." She almost started galloping as she carefully trotted over to the golden chariot that the princess had sent with them. She climbed in, and the guards got into position and took off. They flew as fast as they could without tiring out early, and made it to Canterlot with good speed.

She jumped out of the carriage as soon as it landed, galloping through the halls as she could no longer contain herself. She stopped and turned the final corner, the image of self control now, and walked up to the bedchamber guards. "I was supposed to meet Princess Luna here, is she inside?" The guards immediately stepped aside and opened the door, recognizing the sky blue filly they were to look out for. She walked in and looked around for her objective. She soon spied Luna on her bed, still half-heartedly attempting to rouse Twilight.

Trixie froze in place for the second time that day, her body locked from moving, her mind screaming at her to run full speed over to her. She didn't know what to do, so she did nothing. Meanwhile, Luna was still hopelessly poking and prodding at the filly's stomach, not knowing what else to do. The door thudded softly behind Trixie, and Luna snapped her head over to look. "Thank goodness, you're here, my little pony. Quick, come close, and let's see if you can help us." At the princess' command, she was suddenly able to move, and she galloped over. "What happened to her, princess?" She had begun to shake, seeing the filly that had forever altered her lying, as if dead, in the night princess' hooves. The only give that she was alive was her breathing, which was normal.

Trixie sighed, hoofing the ground in thought. Then, without any kind of prompting from Luna, she took Twilight into her own hooves, and started to channel magic through her horn. When she thought it was sufficient, she closed her eyes and touched her horn to Twilights, very gently, and waited. As the seconds ticked by, she was about to give up, and, as a single tear ran down her face at the thought of never being able to talk to Twilight about her feelings, or if they were mutual, it happened.

Author's Note:

As I said before, this is my first official submission, and I hope it's taken well. ^-^ If people like my writing style enough, I'll do an OC collab with a friend and put that up here as well. ~Honey Heart, the Filly