• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 10,775 Views, 72 Comments

Dashed Trust - NightmareDash



Mare-Do-Well got off too easily the first time.

  • ...
14
 72
 10,775

Numbers Game

Two days later, an enthusiastic crowd of ponies had gathered at Ponyville town square. Signs were being held in hooves, banners had been hung, and everypony was chattering idly in anticipation. After quieting the excited mass, the Mayor took the podium and began her introduction.

“Welcome to Ponyville's first, but surely not last, thank you parade, in honor of our city's greatest hero, the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well!”

On cue, the mare in question burst onto the stage from behind a banner, to the cheers of the crowd. High above the celebration, however, much less approving words were being exchanged.

“Do you see her, Gilda?”

“Yeah, Dash. Right on center stage. Just like we expected her to be.”

“Good. These thing you got for us are great. What did you call them again?”

“Radios, Dash. Bought them off of a crazy doctor who lives on the outskirts of town. Never thought they would be so useful, though.”

“I’m glad they are. Look at her, basking in all that glory. My glory. Are you ready?”

“You bet. I’m dropping altitude now… perfect. There’s not a cloud in the sky down here, which also means no chance of me losing her.”

“Good. Remember the plan. I’ll handle the groundwork, you just keep me updated on where Mare-Do-Well’s going.”

“Got it. I’m ready to go. On your mark.”

“Time to take back this town.”

At that moment, the vengeful pegasus rose above the throng, ready to confront her adversary.

“The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, huh?”

Almost everypony stood back, in shock at this interruption.

“So what are you hiding? Let's see how mysterious you are without that mask!”

Rainbow made a dive for the vigilante’s face, but met only air. The heroine had lept off the stage, galloping down the street towards the markets. But Rainbow was not far behind, nor was her eye in the sky.

“You got her, Gilda?”

“Yeah, Dash. I’ve got both of you in my sights. She just hung a left and jumped the fence on the right.”

“Thanks. She’s all mine.”

Taking advantage of her new knowledge, Rainbow followed Mare-Do-Well’s every move. She was never more than a few hoofs behind her quarry, but just couldn’t take her down. Her focus was unbroken, until her radio crackled to life once more.

“Dash, call me crazy, but I’m seeing more that one Mare-Do-Well down there.”

“Oh my Celestia… How did I not think of it before?”

“There’s the one right in front of you, but there are about three others pretty close to you two. They all look about the same.”

“Keep me posted. I’ll deal with this one first.”

As the words came from her mouth, both she and the first Mare-Do-Well entered a long alley. This was it. Rainbow reached her hooves forward and started aiming for top speed. Not even Mare-Do-Well could outrun a Sonic Rainboom. The mach cone began to form around her, and her hooves reached around the hero’s cape and grabbed at her sides. But before the signature explosion (deadly in such confined quarters), both Rainbow Dash and Mare-Do-Well crashed headlong into a brick wall at the end of the alleyway. The vigilante took most of the impact, but apparently shared the pegasus’ uncanny knack for surviving: she was still perfectly conscious. Rainbow must’ve gotten hit harder than she thought, though, because now she could swear that there were two Mare-Do-Wells between her and the wall. But a winged shadow fell across her, which, accompanied by the thud of two ponies hitting the cobblestone, eliminated her doubts.

“You all right there, Dash?”

“Yeah, just got going a little bit too fast. I see you got two of the others.”

“Well I wasn’t just going to fly around up there and let you have all the fun. Besides, someone had to even the odds. Glad you managed to run into the last one.”

The griffon chuckled at her unintentional pun, as Rainbow Dash was able to snap out of the daze the crash had put her in.

“I should’ve guessed it before. They had so many powers, there was no way it was just one pony. But the charade ends now."

Reaching her mouth down to the masks of the two she had run into, she pulled them off with a bite. Gilda unmasked the other two with her claws, and both stood in shock at what they saw. The griffon was rightfully dumbstruck, but Rainbow’s jaw went clear to the floor. She started stammering in disbelief:

“What in the name of Celestia… Twilight? Applejack? Pinkie Pie? Fluttershy?”

“Don’t forget about me!”

A sweet, yet serious voice called out from behind. Gilda, on edge, flicked her right wing back as their heads twisted. The sharp tip of a brown feather embedded itself into the masonry, beside which Rarity stood. Her appearance only added to the confusion, and Rainbow could barely make out words for the situation.

“You… you… you’re all Mare-Do-Well?”