• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 1,931 Views, 12 Comments

The Band - Ben Matthews



Four musical ponies form a band. Can, the young and inexperienced, Sweetie Belle hold the group together as they tour Equestria, or will they fall into disharmony due to contrasting personalities and styles of music?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,931

Funky Bits and Pieces of Downtown

The Manehattan Project

Sweetie Belle and Vinyl Scratch are back in the music store, at the disc jockey's request.
The store manager/owner and a few other ponies watch as the musicians move electronic keyboards around until they are satisfied with the layout.

"Okay Sweetie, you ready? Then, light it up!" The pair of unicorn's horns glow, and their combined mystical energies touch the equipment;

A member of the impromptu audience steps forward. The red coated earth pony introduces himself; "I am Town Crier. In charge of The Manehattan Promotional Board. I would like to use that song to promote the city. If you can come up with something else as well, that would be great. I'll pay double the going rate."
Sweetie Belle and Vinyl Scratch look at each other in astonishment, then silently nodded yes to Town Crier.

"Vinyl, you handle the deal while I work on that extra song." Sweetie Belle closes her eyes, feeling the energy and inspiration building within her. Any and all recording devices were turned on. She did not want to repeat this stunt.

"You're hired!" exclaims Town Crier.

"Thank you:" Sweetie said softly in a tired voice. "But, no thanks. I am quite happy being where I am right now."

With hope and despair in his voice, "Anytime you change your mind..."

****

Wild Rover watches and overhears his band mate, Lyra, argue with another mare; Who had taken a train ride here from some dinky little town near Canterlot. He mentally takes note of some of the words and phrases used. Then walks away towards his hotel room.

"Hello Rover. May I join you?"

"Hello Octavia." flashing a welcoming smile" You can join me anytime." Opens the door to his hotel room and they both enter.
Octavia looks around, and raises an inquisitive eyebrow at several string instruments that were scattered around the room. "I see you have a banjo and a violin, to go with your vulgar taste in electric guitars. How good are you with a bow?"

"I also have an acoustic guitar. I like mixing traditional and modern styles. Keeps things interesting. As for the violin, I am quite good with it. You play the cello, so you might be half as good as me."
The grey-coated earth pony narrowed her eyes at him."Oh. I don't think so. How bout we have a little contest?"
"Make it on live stage, and you got yourself a deal."
Octavia blinks and almost considers backing down. Then a secretive smile begins to form."I accept those conditions."

***
If I can make there, I'll make it anywhere

That night the band takes to the stage, with it's newest member.

Octavia looks over at Lyra with concern. Some of the words in the song match what she overheard Bon Bon and Lyra said to each other. "You okay Lyra?"
"Eventually. Lets just get through this first."
"I am gong to put Rover in his place." Wanders next to Sweetie belle and whispers in her ear, the plan. Then says loudly."Alright Rover, it is time to prove just how good you really are." Both musicians switch their instruments to violins.

Sweetie Belle watches the violinists get ready. Slowly lights up her horn and extends her mystical field over both, instead of just Octavia. She wanted both to be at their very best. Her Special Talent seems to enhance musical talent in others, as well as herself. The effects were more so if she did it consciously.

"I have to admit that you are the better violinist, Octavia." Wild Rover exchanges the violin for his electric guitar. "But, you can never match me when it comes to wielding an axe." Octavia nods in silent agreement.
"Lyra, for you, a small apology..."

Author's Note:

The first time I heard "Downtown", I though it was an ad!
Leading to the creation of the first part of this chapter, and a slight reference to the "I Love New York" advertising campaign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_New_York