• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 1,931 Views, 12 Comments

The Band - Ben Matthews



Four musical ponies form a band. Can, the young and inexperienced, Sweetie Belle hold the group together as they tour Equestria, or will they fall into disharmony due to contrasting personalities and styles of music?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,931

The fastest train on the line

Bon-Bon and Lyra looked at each other with sadness. in their eyes "Bonnie..."
"There is not much left to say, Lyra, Except..."

Lyra, with luggage enveloped in her magic, slowly trudges towards the train station where the rest of the band is waiting.

Sweetie Belle, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch stood on the station platform. waiting with Applejack and Apple Bloom for Lyra Heartstrings to show up.

Applejack watched her little sister, Apple Bloom, hug Sweetie Belle; Then turns to talk to Uncle and Aunt Orange. "I hear that you got your very own train." Not without a bit of envy in her voice.

"Yes, we do. We sort of had to; Considering the trouble we had with deliveries last year." Shaking his head over the past headaches he had to deal with. "Your Aunt named it the Orange Blossom Special. She is the fastest train on the seaboard line."

Vinyl watches Octavia look over the colourful train. "I know that look Octy. I usually get them when I am about to create wonderful wubs."
Octavia sighed, "I am not sure I can do it."
"You won't know until you try. When it comes to music, you got talent to burn. It is something musical?"
"Yes. But you will have to wait until we can open our luggage on the train."

Something to do with the fiddle or violin? Same difference. Vinyl mentally shrugs. Only in how it was played. The same debate goes for the cello or double bass. Names didn't matter to the disc jockey, only the notes coming from the instruments did.

Scootaloo lands next to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, then wraps her forelegs around them in a group hug. Then quickly looks around in slight embarrassment. as she breaks off the hug, hoping no one else noticed her being mushy. "Word on the wind is that Princess Twilight Sparkle is looking for you, Sweetie Belle."

"Oh joy. She noticed me spell singing. I have no desire to be a subject of one of her studies."
"Spell singing?" asked Scootaloo.
"Magical Music or Musical Magic? I can't decide what to call it."
"The Princess might suggest something. She is the Element of Magic, after all." Apple Bloom pointed out.

Sweetie Belle watches Lyra get on the train without talking to anyone. "Okay, I got to round up the band; We're leaving now." She looked at her friends, "You two look after each, and Ponyville, while I am gone." Quickly gives her fellow Crusaders a tight hug before leaving, and starts looking around for the rest of the band.

"Oh, there you are Sweetie Belle." The singer breathed a sigh of relief, that it was only Rarity, her sister. "Princess Twilight Sparkle is looking for you."
"I was never here! In a few minutes, I'll defiantly won't be here."
"What ever do you mean, Sweetie?"
Having spotted Octavia and Vinyl in the crowd.:"I'll explain later in a letter. Gotta go!. Love ya sis."

"Well, I never... Humph. Youth today! Always in such a rush." A minute later, Rarity realizes what she just said. "No, I can't be that old!" In dramatic fashion, she falls onto her fainting couch, which somehow appeared out of nowhere, and bursts into tears.

"Octavia. Vinyl. Lyra is already on the train. Let's go, now."
"What is the hurry?" asks Octavia.
"Twilight Sparkle is looking for me. If we meet, there may not be a band, never mind a tour. Unless something drastically changes. my spell singing seams to be harmless."
Vinyl Scratch has nowhere near the vast knowledge of Magic the Princess has, but she has her own experiences and instincts to rely on. "Alright, I trust you to be honest about any serious changes." Sweetie Belle simply nodded. "Then let's blow this pop stand."

Octavia looks over the small instrument. It was certainly easier to carry then the cello. And far more versatile then she allowed herself to be.
Releasing a breath, she picks up the violin, (fiddle in the more rural parts of Equestria) and the bow laying beside it. Then walks out of her room in the sleeper car, and into the passenger section. Vinyl flashes her an approving smile.

Looking at her band mates with growing confidence "Here is what I am working on..."

Author's Note:

Bessie Banks is an American soul singer, best known for her original 1964 recording of "Go Now," successfully covered in the same year by UK band The Moody Blues.

Orange Blossom Special (song)
Orange Blossom Special (train)

Danger, Still Under Construction: