• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 3,232 Views, 51 Comments

Something More? - thewaffler



Pony Joe has decided to open a diner in Ponyville, and Twilight couldn't be happier.

  • ...
4
 51
 3,232

Memories and Meet Joe.

A/N: While it's not necessary to read the previous fic: Stray Ardor, to understand what's going on, I strongly recommend it to to fill in some of the blanks. Also I suck at writing a New York accent so please forgive me.

Update: I changed his name from Pony Joe to Doughnut Joe because of the series retcon. Also Donut will be used for business purposes and Doughnut is to used as his proper name.


Twilight had been searching all over the house and library to see if the spell she had been working on had done anything that could possible to do harm to their home. In the process of searching she had found Pinkie's party invitation and began to read it. 'It's probably just another random stranger moving to Ponyville.' She mused to herself as she read the card trapped in her horn's magic. Then her eyes grew wide when she read the name of the new pony in town. The card read, Joseph Bean and that the party was to be held in the new diner that was built across town.

Twilight knew that name and she knew it well. Joseph Bean or as most ponies knew him as 'Doughnut Joe’. She smiled remembering her time studying back in her home town of Canterlot. When the library was closed there was one place open at late at night and that was a certain diner with bright red neon lights that simply read “Donut Joe’s.” It had a pleasant atmosphere, a great selection of doughnuts, soups and sandwiches and there was always a fresh pot of coffee on the burner. There was something else there too, there was a kind light tan unicorn named Joseph who ran the establishment. He was always there to lend an ear and listen to anypony's problems and offer advice.

Twilight was reminiscing on a time when she needed his sage like wisdom. She had fallen asleep in a pile of books in his restaurant and it was past closing time. She had been frantically searching for a repair spell as Spike had accidentally set fire to a valuable book written by none other than Clover the Clever. Twilight was fearful that Celestia would take Spike away from her. As she lay sleeping on the pile of pressed paper beneath her she felt a hoof nudging her, she awoke to find Joe in front of her.


5 years ago

"Twilight, it's past closing time, I don't mean to wake ya, but I gotta lock up, it's two in the mornin'." Joe said in his thick Brookmane accent with a warm smile.

Joe looked down at young unicorn and noticed something was wrong. Joe was exhausted from the day's work but he wasn't going to leave someone he had come to call a friend in despair.

"Twi is there something you need to get off your chest?"

She looked up at him, even though he was only six years older than her, his advice was sound and very reliable.

"I...uh...I don't know what to do. Today I when I was studying at home I left a very valuable and irreplaceable book that Princess Celestia herself lent me on the floor. Anyway, Spike went towards the book and I thought nothing of it, but today he sneezed fire for the first time and the books was engulfed in green flame. Needless to say the book was destroyed. I'm scared what the princess will do when she finds out." she broke down in tears and wept into the books on the table.

Joe placed a hoof on her shoulder. Twilight looked up again.

"I just don't want Spike to be taken away from me. I know this sounds weird but I've grown attached to him in almost a mother like way. I even remember that time period when he was learning to talk and he called me mommy. That's why I spent all day looking for repair spells for that book and I've yet to find anything, please Joe what should I do."

"First thing's first it's great that ya care so much about Spike, he's lucky to have ya. For as long as I've known ya, you've always been wise beyond your years, but ya've always tended to overreacted to problems. Tell me this how long have you been the princess's student?" Joe asked in a very sympathetic voice.

"About seven years, what does that have to do with anything?"

"In the seven years ya've known her, has she ever acted cruel?"

"No, but..."

"But nothing. Do you honestly believe she would punish a child or take away something so dear to ya?"

Twilight's ears perked up as she saw the logic in Joe's words.

"No, I guess not."

"Listen just tell her the truth and everything will be fine. I know ya probably were looking for somethin elaborate, but when it comes down to it sometimes the answer is just that simple." Joe said with a reassuring grin.

Twilight did as Joe had suggested. Though she was relieved to not have Spike taken away from her, she wasn't left off the hook so easily. To pay for the damages she had to work in the palace as a bookbinder for three months replacing and repairing book bindings.


Twilight smiled at the memory. The only thing besides her parents she missed from Canterlot was the company of Pony Joe. Twilight back then was complete shut in and besides Spike, Joe had been her only friend. She had even developed a crush on the diner owner and now he was moving to Ponyville. Her mind was in a frenzied state and butterflies were in her stomach.

Twilight shook off these thought and went back to task at hoof and was still checking the house for anomalies, it was four in the morning and she could no longer keep her eyes opened and as she was checking under the dining room table she met sleep's warm embrace and passed out right then and there.


Meanwhile back in Canterlot a certain tan unicorn is closing up shop and getting ready for his big day tomorrow.

His name was Joseph Francisco Bean, but everyone just referred to him as Dougnut Joe. Joe was wasn't from Canterlot originally as his thick accent gave way, born and raised most of his childhood in Brookmane by his mother. At the age of thirteen he was sent to live with his father in Canterlot who owned a tiny little eatery where mostly blue collar workers and college kids would frequently eat.

At the age of seventeen he was given the little restuarant as a graduation gift as his dad had moved back to Brookmane to patch things up with his mother. It was soon after that was that he changed the name of the diner to the amply named 'Donut Joe's' which was far as from a high class eatery as one could get. Joe may have never have gone to college but his eye for business and quality were second to none. Those that frequented his shop saw this and over time his diner had attracted a wide variety of clientele. Everypony from blue collar workers to celebrities like the Wonderbolts, Sapphire Shores, Hoity Toity and even big shot foreign politicians like the vice president of Draconia and the Prime Minister of The Griffin Kingdom had visited his diner.

Doughnut Joe's major claim to fame was when the none other than The Sun Goddess herself and the current Elements of Harmony had come into Joe's diner during the chaos that was the Grand Galloping Gala last year. News of this had reached the Equestria Daily newspaper and let’s just say you couldn't buy better publicity. Celestia herself was so pleased with the bear claws, the crullers and the espresso she contemplated knighting the doughnut marked stallion possibly even having him replace her own incompetent nephew.

That night important for another reason it's when she came back after a six month absence. Twilight Sparkle was her name and she used to be a regular customer, then she disappeared without a trace.

It was in her absence that Joe realized how much he missed her at first as a good friend. He remembers they met Joe was working late as a buscolt back when it was his father's diner. Twilight had shown up to study and after some very awkward dialogue the two over the course of six years had become great friends.

Now, presently he was getting ready to leave Canterlot for good. Life was great but a little too hectic. He wasn't closing down Donut Joe's he was expanding as he called it. The original diner would be under the very competent hooves of his baby brother named Latte. Dougnut Joe's varied clientele would not notice a dip in the quality of service. Joe was opening a diner is Ponyville. He chose this location for two reasons. One was to live in the countryside and two it was close enough to Canterlot to where if something went wrong at The Original Doughnut Joe's he could get there in time to resolve any issues. A possible third reason was to reconnect with old friends. Needless to say the last four months were a pain in flank as he has to deal with architects, contractors and regulations.

He knew three ponies in Ponyville that ran a local bakery. He had met Carrot and Cup Cake and Pinkie Pie an energetic little mare at an annual restaurant expo in Fillydelphia. The four of them had hit off very well. So naturally when he had picked their town for his new restaurant he called them to see if they could throw a party to celebrate the new eatery. The only issue was he has waited to the last minute to ask for the party.


Earlier that day over the phone

"Yeah, Hi Carrot, it's me Joe, I know it's really short notice but I was wonderin if I could get a grand opening party set up for tomorrow. It's just that that with how hectic things are over here I just pushed planning my new store's opening party farther away and was wonderin if you could help me set something up at the last minute."

"I don't Know Joe, a party like that seems kinda impossible."

Suddenly Pinkie burst through the door wearing a bandana and eye patch and tackled Carrot for the phone.

"No party is impossible of Solid Pie" Pinkie said doing her best David Hayter impression and with that she hung up the phone.


He turned the lights off, locked up and headed for home.

"Finally, well it's been fun and thanks for all the fish." he said giving what he felt was a fitting quote as he gave a gentle sigh and looked up to the new neon sign that had been installed earlier that day that read "The Original Donut Joe's".