• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,186 Views, 8 Comments

The Whooves Collection Episode One: In the Other's Place - Perceptive Key



In the midst of studying, a strange blue box appears in the Twilight's library, containing a strange stallion calling himself 'The Doctor'. Twilight enters his box to question him, but the doors shut, whisking them off to the past.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,186

Questionable Authority

Chapter 2
Questionable Authority

Gaia; Equestria; Canterlot; Canterlot Castle, Royal Guard's Holding Cells; 297 C.E.

Twilight shot a blast of red light at the stone walls, but it bounced off and shot around the room a few times before dissolving in the air. Twilight groaned, "This is not how I was planning in spending my time this afternoon." She turned around and she saw the Doctor staring intently at a spot in the rock formation.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

He told her to shush, "I'm listening."

"To what?"

The Doctor put a hoof to his lips and pointed to the wall. He could hear the guards conversing on the opposite side of the cell:

"She want's to see them both."

"Really? Now? We have to set the guard schedules for the celebration, immediately."

"No, she ordered us, so no questions asked, okay."

"Alright. But if you ask me, she's been too paranoid and demanding lately."

"Just do your job. Now, come on, let's get them out."

A few seconds later, the two guards opened a door in the cell and stepped in. The captain addressed the time travelers, "You will come with me, now. If you step out of line, you will be detained immediately. If you resist, you will be detained immediately. If you try to escape, you-"

"Will be detained immediately, we get it," Twilight finished.

The guard gave Twilight a piercing glare that sent chills down her spine. "Now, come."

The Doctor exited first and Twilight followed. They were met by a small escort of about eight guards, four for each of them. "What a unique system," the Doctor mused.

On their way to wherever they were being led, the Doctor asked, "Pardon my intrusion, but what's the date?"

The captain responded, "The year 297 in the reign of Princess Celestia the Kind. Shouldn't you know that?"

"Sorry, I... had momentary amnesia. Happens to me a lot."

Twilight overheard this and thought, '297? I know that. What was so special about this year. There's something important, I know it, but where have I heard that before?'

Gaia; Equestria; Canterlot; Canterlot Castle, Princess Celestia's Private Chambers; 297 C.E.

The doors opened and the small group entered the room. There was a large, queen-sized bed (quite fitting), the floors were made of polished marble that was dyed in the colors of the rainbow, and a large window that led to the balcony

The Doctor marveled at the decoration, "Superb. I love what you've done with the curtains."

"Silence, Doctor!" Princess Celestia stepped in from the balcony and walked towards them slowly.

Twilight was prepared to greet the Princess, but thought twice. 'The Doctor said that we had traveled in time, right?' she thought, 'So that meant that Celestia wouldn't know me.' Twilight proceeded to just stand there as Celestia approached the Doctor.

"Now, I wish to know what you two are doing in my castle, Doctor," Celestia asked sternly.

"Ah, yes. Well," he started his explanation, "you see, my... ship... ended up here because of a slight... navigation mishap. I think. Still, my colleague and I-"

"I'm not your colleague," Twilight replied insistently.

"Alright, my non-colleague and I accidentally landed here, but we'll be going as soon as possible if need be."

Twilight noticed a slight reflection in Celestia's eyes as the light touched them, kind of like glass.

"I'm sorry," Celestia apologized sweetly, and Twilight thought that she was overdoing it a little, "I'm just very anxious about the Summer Sun Celebration. I haven't felt like myself lately."

The Doctor understood, "That's perfectly logical, Princess..."

"Celestia."

"Princess Celestia," the Doctor finished.

"Listen, I'm quite sorry for the inconvenience. Please, let me allow you some rooms as an apology for my misunderstanding."

"We'd be delighted!" the Doctor smiled.

Twilight rolled her eyes. This crazy stallion wasn't getting her home anytime soon.

Celestia addressed the guards, "Please bring the Doctor and Twilight to the west wing suites."

They nodded and turned to lead them out. The small party turned around and headed outward, but not before Twilight thought that she heard something coming from the far corner of the room.

Gaia; Equestria; Canterlot; Canterlot Castle, West Wing Suites; 297 C.E.

It wasn't until they reached the rooms and settled in, that Twilight noticed something: Celestia knew her name. Twilight tried thinking back to a moment that she may have given it, but thought of no such instance. 'How does she know who I am?' she thought. Luckily, their rooms were right across from each other, so Twilight knocked on the Doctor's door, ran in and said, "She knows me!"

The Doctor was holding a small metal cylinder with a blue light on the tip, in his mouth, and was pointing it at the walls. He moved it around the room a bit before placing it back in the pocket of the new suit that he was wearing. It was a dark grey, pinstripe jacket with matching pants, a white, collared undershirt, and a dark blue tie.

"Sonic screwdriver," the Doctor answered her confused stare, "I was checking to see if anyone was spying on us."

"Anypony," Twilight corrected.

"What?"

"You said anybody not anypony."

The Doctor was deep in thought for a moment, but he quickly understood, "Ah-ha, I get it, you being horses and all. Quite strange, though."

"Yes, but answer my first question: Celestia knows me. Actually... that wasn't a question."

"Answer one: I know," he said, "And answer two: no, it wasn't."

"Then, why didn't you say anything? Was it going to destroy the universe or something?"

"No."

"Then why didn't you say anything?!"

"Because," the Doctor said in a prideful tone, "Whoofever that was would have known we were on to her."

"Wait, did you just say 'whoofever?'"

"Yes."

"We don't talk like that."

"But you just told me to say anypony-"

"Because it makes sense," Twilight concluded. "Sheesh, where are you from anyway?"

"Gallifrey."

Twilight tilted her head to the side in confusion but brushed it off quickly. She headed out the doors, but the Doctor stopped her before she entered her own room.

"How do you feel about an investigation?"

Twilight saw where this was going and grinned, her sense of excitement getting the best of her, "Let me think about it."

Gaia; Equestria; Canterlot; Canterlot Castle, Celestia's Chambers; 297 C.E.

The false Celestia realized her slip immediately after the words left her mouth, but she continued like nothing had been wrong. "Damn, my mouth!" she silently fumed. She went over to the mirror and raised the sheet, revealing the real and utterly exhausted Princess Celestia. "Oh, are you giving up?" the impostor asked in false concern.

Celestia raised her head slowly and turned to the impostor. "I have not yet given up," she said defiantly, "I have simply resorted to patience."

"How sweet. Now, tell me what spell I must use."

Celestia just turned her head away.

"You're sticking with the 'iron resolve' tactic, eh? Well, I have ways of making you talk." The false Celestia's horn began to glow a bright red.

Suddenly, Celestia began to scream in agony. It felt to her as if every bone in her body was breaking ever so slowly. "Fine!" she screamed, "FINE!"

The false Celestia smiled wickedly, "Now tell me, my dear," she leaned in close to the glass, "how do I control the sun?"