• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 437 Views, 4 Comments

The Bogey Pony - Nightshade shadow kitty



A grimdark story focusing on the origins of the Shadow Pony named Glam.

  • ...
 4
 437

Chapter IV

Chapter 4
At last, flesh. Glam hungrily tore at the filly's corpse, gulping down both flesh and bone, blood dripping down his chin and off the tips of his needle like teeth. How he had missed the taste, and the scream she made when he killed her... it had been utterly delightful, and now, he had her scent, which meant he could follow it out of the swamp, and towards a settlement.

He continued to strip her corpse of flesh until nothing remained but a bloody pile of bones. He ran his long tongue over his muzzle and teeth, cleaning the blood off. He was full, and satisfied.

He sniffed the air, searching for the fillies scent. It was time to leave this accursed swamp.

He started to go back in the direction of the hollowed out tree, that is where the trail would start. When he arrived and sniffed around again, making sure the scent was still there. Fortunately it was.

He began to follow the Fillies trail out of the swamp, occasionally picking off a rodent. No sense wasting food. He picked up the scent of other ponies, perhaps she hadn't entered the swamp alone. It didn't matter, it simply made navigating out of the swamp easier for him.

Soon he was at the edge of the swamp, a small town in the distance. He smirked, a hungry look in his eye. It was like somepony had set him in front of an all you can eat buffet. But he'd have to be careful, he was still vulnerable.

He continued onward, using the cover of night to conceal him. He wandered the town, keeping to the shadows. Occasionally noticing movement in the little houses. He had never seen a town before, or any sort of civilization for that matter. He noticed one house imparticular. He glanced in the window. Inside was a family, two foals and a mare and stallion. They were sitting in front of a fire, talking. The fire reminded him of how cold he was, but he wasn't that desperate yet. He hated fire. A LOT.

He wondered what it would be like, to be shown affection, the way those ponies were showing those foals. It didn't matter, they were food, nothing more. He continued on his way.

He soon found an abandoned house. It was falling apart, but it was dry at least and kept the wind out. He shook himself off and lay in the corner. He was tired, and had a whole Filly to digest. He fell into an uneasy sleep.

Metal. Rust. Chains. Blood. Sirens. Screams. That's what first entered his mind.

He looked around him. The walls were metal mesh, rusted pipes behind them. The floor was rusted metal slabs, there suspicious red stains here and there. Chains hung from above him, although he couldn't see the ceiling, only darkness. Each chain ended in a rusted, painful looking hook. On one chain, hung a long dead pony, decay already claiming much of its features. He could hear a Siren blare from somewhere in the distance, screams of ponies in pain sending chills of pleasure down his spine. He wasn't sure where he was, but he liked it.

He heard hoof steps behind him, he slowly turned around to see a grossly disfigured unicorn with a broken horn and skin that looked like rotting leather. Its eyes sewn shut, and its mouth in a twisted, chilling smile, its teeth were yellow and stained with blood. It was much taller than he was. He backed away and it simply kept approaching him.

Glam backed into a wall, and the twisted unicorn stopped in front of him. "Nothing... but a failed experiment..." It summoned a scalpel and slit Glam's throat.

Glam awoke with a start. He was soaked with sweat and looked around frantically, sighing in relief to still be in the abandoned house. Light poured in from the broken windows, and the holes in the walls and ceiling. He peered out and quickly jerked back. The light was blinding to him, painful even. He gave his eyes time to adjust and peered out again. It was still painfully bright, but his eyes slowly adjusted to the light. He saw countless ponies, in a multitude of colors and sizes.

They all seemed troubled by something, all of them speaking in hushed tones. It didn't matter, they were just food after all.
He returned to the comfort of the shadows. He curled into a ball, and lay his head down. He was still tired. And he was still digesting. He had never been allowed to each that much at once before. He slowly fell asleep again.