• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 8,949 Views, 659 Comments

The Royal Ponyville Orchestra - Distaff Pope



Octavia has finally been promoted to first chair, unfortunately for her, that chair is in the new (and as of yet unformed) Royal Ponyville Orchestra. Can Octavia lead the new orchestra to greatness? Probably not.

  • ...
21
 659
 8,949

A Very Vinyl Anthrocon

I love you and all Tavi, but dear sweet Celestia can you be an idiot at times. I mean, I get that you were in the middle of a mental breakdown, that the doctor assures me is treatable, but how in Equestria could you ever think that I’d abandon you for Homage? After all we’ve been through, a small part of me is insulted that you’d even think that. A much greater part of me is concerned about your well-being and wants you to get better. Also, I hope you don’t mind that I am borrowing your journal, I need to collect my thoughts and I thought I’d take a page from your book (haha) and try journaling.

First of all, when you saw me talking with Homage yesterday, we were discussing plans for Anthropalooza, and then we kind of got into a fight about you, with her arguing that you were crazy, and me trying to convince her that you were just having a bad day. Your attempted assault later didn’t really help out with that though. Kind of thankful you didn’t actually punch her in the face and instead just spazzed out the second you reached the stage and started talking to yourself. Also, you are banned from Anthrocon for life. Just thought I’d share that with you, so I guess that kind of worked out for you.

And… just what am I going to do? How did I let things get so bad, I mean, I am looking through your journal (Sorry about that by the way), it’s clear you were having some issues and I didn’t help you. How crappy of that was me? Maybe if I had been more aware, you wouldn’t be locked up in a loony bin having some doctor’s poke at your brain and just pumping magic in you to get you back to normal. Well, but… How do you do it? I’ve written three paragraphs and am already getting incoherent. You write like… short stories about your day and manage to stay pretty coherent, so I guess I will do what you do and write down as much as I can.

So, after we left you at the hotel (Really sorry about that, if I had known what you were going through, I would have done something or just… Why did I think it was a good idea to leave you behind?) Lyra, Bon Bon, and I went to the con, and Lyra pretty much dragged us all to the Museum of Anthropological Artifacts, she thought there was something there relating to this magic mirror she has been coming across in her studies, so she wanted to study every last artifact in detail. Occasionally, Bonnie would manage to pull her away from her viewing so they could go make out in a corner and I took that opportunity to go to the game room and check on you. Obviously, I never saw you, but I thought that was a good thing, like you were sleeping in or doing something productive, not spying on Homage.

Then there was our meeting, but I already covered that mostly. We planned out the show, the line-up, created a set list for our little DJ duel, and got into a fight about you. I really think I was making ground in convincing her to be nice to you, but now its going to be really hard for me to convince her you aren’t crazy. If you are wondering why I am so concerned with the two of you getting along, it is for almost entirely selfish reasons. Whenever I play outside of Ponyville, we usually run into each other, and I thought it would be nice if you and her were on good terms, so things didn’t get awkward if you two ran into each other backstage. It would still be kind of nice, but I really doubt it will happen. She’s also kind of pissed at me for bailing on Anthropalooza to take care of you, because apparently being more concerned about my marefriend than a gig is high heresy to her.

Right, but after that, Lyra, Bonnie, and I sat in on a few more panels and Lyra kind of muttered about how she couldn’t get a closer look at one of the human artifacts, which I guess is kind of important because her desire to get a closer look at that thing led to there being no guards in Anthropalooza when you stormed the stage, so that’s actually probably important.

Actually, that’s a really funny story. Well, funny as something can be, considering the fact that you were in the middle of a mental breakdown. See, Lyra has been convinced that there is some secret portal to the human world for the past few years, and she got it into her head that a tablet the museum held some museum on the portal and she wanted a closer look at it. The guards didn’t really allow it, so she decided to get a closer look at it when everypony was busy at Anthrapalooza. Lyra isn’t very good at doing stealth stuff, and pretty soon all the guards were heading towards the museum just about a minute before you thought it would be a good idea to try and assault Homage.

I… I should have grabbed you when you were on stage, I don’t know why I didn’t, I’m still kicking myself about that, but then, I’ve been replaying the last few days in my head looking for anything I should have done differently. There are a lot. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to go right to you after you ran off and instead went to the Baltimare Hospital’s psychiatric ward. The doctor there, Dr. Ink Blot took a lot of convincing to give me an anesthesia spell, but thankfully I had brought Lyra and Bon Bon to back me up, and he eventually agreed under the condition that several orderlies come with us to observe your condition.

So I guess that kind of fills you in on what was happening while you were going crazy, I hope you will forgive me for knocking you out. The doctor had some questions about if you had been under considerable stress lately or a family history of mental illness. I told him about your last few days but unfortunately, the only thing I knew about your family was that your parents were jerks and that you were distantly related to Pinkie Pie, so I told him that and did you know that the Pie clan apparently has an entire section of the DSM-IV named after them? I didn’t, and that’s kind of fascinating. On the downside, the few Pinkie genes you do have probably helped facilitate your big mental breakdown thing. Well, that and the deaths, and the nightmares, and the stress of having to form an entire orchestra from scratch, and having to actually deal with ponies as opposed to just staying in your room and celloing. Actually, when you put it like that, it shows how tough you are for taking this long to have a mental break down.

I think that covers the main points, and thanks for letting me borrow your journal, I left mine at home and I just really needed to get my thoughts in order. Hopefully, I will have the chance to talk to you before you read this, and if not, then sorry again about looking through your journal. Guess that makes us even though. Love you.

Author's Note:

One little interlude before we get back into Tavi's overtaxed headspace. Hope you can live with Vinyl's less than accurate journaling for a couple of pages.