• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 1,120 Views, 9 Comments

Order-naries: Vacation - CTVulpin



Luna visits Manehatten and meets Trixie while Celestia has problems with the night sky.

  • ...
5
 9
 1,120

Chapter 2

"Ah'm seein' it, but I don't believe it," Applejack said, "It can't be her."

"You know any other ponies calling themselves 'The Great and Powerful Trixie?'" Soul Mage asked with a raised eyebrow, "But still, she's got herself a main-stage production? I'd never have guessed."

"A-hem," Princess Luna said, "I would be pleased to know what has the three of you so shocked."

"Oh, sorry Princess," AJ said with a quick bow, "Y'see, several months ago this unicorn callin' herself The Great and Powerful Trixie showed up in Ponyville, claimin' to be the greatest magician in Equestria. Most of it was an act, but her attitude and the way she humiliated anypony that tried to outperform her kinda rubbed us the wrong way. Her biggest boast was defeatin' an Ursa Major, and so when we kept questionin' her story a couple of foolish colts that were caught up in her act decided to lure an Ursa into town for her to defeat. Twilight had ta step in and calm the thing down, and Trixie ran out of town totally humiliated."

"Ah yes," Luna said, "I recall Celestia mentioning an Ursa Minor had attacked Ponyville."

AJ nodded and continued, "That's not the end of it though. A few days after these fellers," she pointed to Heart and Soul, "dropped into town, Trixie found one of their old magic Gems and came rolling back into town with a new act built around the thing."

"She was actually pretty good with it," Soul cut in, "But we had to get it back. Heart and I challenged her to a contest and won the Gem from her fair and square. When she left that time, I think she was vowing never to return to Ponyville again."

"Ash gave her some friendly advice before she went," Heart said, "From the looks of things, she might have actually listened to him."

"Hmm," Luna said, looking up at the marquee, "I think I would like to see this Trixie perform. What do you say?"

"You're the Princess," Soul said, "and it's your vacation; we're just along for the ride."

"What about you Applejack?" Luna asked the earth pony.

"Eehh," Applejack said, looking off to the side, "I dunno. I've had my fill of her magic, even if she has cleaned up her act. Besides, it wouldn't be fair to Macintosh and Apple Bloom if they didn't get to attend as well. Thank you for the invite though."

Luna nodded and then walked over to the box office. The attendant, a slate grey earth pony with a blue mane and glasses, stood riveted with shrinking irises as Luna gave her a warm smile and asked, "How much for three tickets?"

The attendant stammered for a few seconds before getting her voice under control enough to say, "I'm sorry your highness, but tonight's show is completely sold out. However I'm sure we could find somepony who'd be willing to give up their seat to you." There was an instant clamor as several of the ponies in the crowd volunteered. Luna silenced them with a snap of her spreading wings.

"That. Will not be necessary," she said, looking around, "All of you have paid to attend already, and I wouldn't dream of denying anypony their seat tonight." She turned back to the box office and asked, "Are there seats open for tomorrow?"

"Well," the earth pony said, sweating as she shuffled through the papers in front of her, "aside from the reserved seats, those tickets won't go on sale until tomorrow, but I can make an exception for you."

"Wonderful," Luna said, smiling.

"Uh, Princess Luna," Soul said cautiously, "You're, uh… supposed to be heading to Fillydelphia tomorrow…" He snapped his mouth shut as Luna leveled a glare at him.

Luna noticed that Applejack was still nearby, watching, and called her over. "If I were to pay for you and your family, would you reconsider attending?" she asked.

"I… I'd have ta ask them," AJ said, "And then Aunt and Uncle Orange may want ta come as well, although I'm not sure."

"So, that will be three for sure, and up to five additional tickets later," Luna told the attendant.

"I'll set five aside for you then," the earth pony said, "The rules say I have to put them back up for sale if you don't claim them by thirty minutes to show time."

"That will be fine,' Luna said before the attendant could continue.

"Ah, then… that'll be 75 bits for three tickets then, Princess Luna." Luna nodded, produced the money, and then took the tickets the attendant held out and moved them over to Soul. The golden-yellow unicorn blinked a few times, and then stashed the tickets into the pouch attached to his breastplate straps.

"All right then," Luna said, turning to walk away, "This has been a productive outing, but it is time I returned and put an end to my guards's worrying." She walked out to a clear spot, plucked Soul off the ground and placed him on her back, and then spread her wings and took off, with Heart struggling to catch up with her.

"Shoot," Applejack said, watching them fly off, "Now I'm all curious. I just hope this don't turn into another fiasco…"


"Slow down Twilight!" Spike shouted as he tried to keep his balance on top of the galloping unicorn. He'd barely had time to give Owloiscious a list of things that needed to be organized before Twilight had plunked him onto her back and shot out of the library, and he was amazed at how quickly Twilight was approaching the town square. "I don't think the pega-shuttle even runs this late," he said, "so how are we going to get to Canterlot anyway?"

"Uh…" Twilight said, finally slowing down, "That's a good point Spike. Maybe I could teleport us there?"

"No thank you," Spike said, "That'd take more jumps than I'm willing to endure."

"Well, if you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it," Twilight said, "We've got to help the Princess!"

"I know, I know," Spike said with a sigh. The pair fell silent as they pondered until they reached the town square and were brought back to reality by the sight of Pinkie Pie, who was up on her hind legs spinning around in circles as she moved randomly around the area. Rarity and the mayor were standing near the pavilion watching the scene in bemusement. "Pinkie, what are you doing?" Spike asked as the pink earth pony twirled past him and Twilight.

"Well, I was dancing with the stars," Pinkie said, still spinning, "but then they stopped and so I thought about stopping too but then decided, you know what? This is too much fun, so I'm gonna keep on doing it! Wheee!" She spun away as Twilight and Spike exchanged a glance. Pinkie started moving towards Rarity and the mayor, and then tripped and fell on her back. Everypony ran over as she looked up with her rapidly spinning eyes and said, "Hey! The stars are dancing again! How awesomely awesome!"

"Pinkie darling," Rarity said, "I think you're just dizzy."

"Really?" Pinkie said, "Ok." She stumbled back to her feet and began to spin in the opposite direction.

"Now what are you doing?" Twilight asked.

"Well," Pinkie said, "I'm all dizzy left-to-right, so if I make myself dizzy right-to-left, the two dizzies will cancel out and I won't be dizzy anymore!"

"Does that actually work?" Spike asked.

Pinkie stumbled to a stop, very unsteady on her hooves, and then her face turned green and she squeaked out, "no," before her cheeks bulged out and she ran off to find a bush to hide behind. Rarity watched her go with a faintly disgusted expression and then turned to Twilight.

"You don't happen to know what's going on do you?" she asked, "I was on my way home from a late spa session when I noticed the stars were all wrong. And then I saw Pinkie Pie…"

"Princess Celestia's having… problems with the stars," Twilight said, trying not to sound too worried, "She asked me to go help her figure out what the problem is, but I'm not sure how I can get to Canterlot at this hour."

"I'd offer you the use of the hot air balloon," the mayor said, "but it's not safe to fly it at night."

"You could have those guys take you," Pinkie said, appearing as if from nowhere next to Twilight and pointing back toward the library. Twilight turned around to see a royal pegasus-drawn chariot coming in for a landing next to her.

"Miss Sparkle," one of the pegasi said, nodding to her, "The Princess sent us to pick you up. We went to your house, but when we saw that the door was open, we figured you'd rushed out…" Twilight laughed nervously and blushed as she climbed onto the chariot.

"We should probably go back so I can lock up properly," she said, "My second assistant is there, but he just uses the windows to get in and out." The chauffeurs nodded and began to turn the chariot around.

"Um, wait a moment," Rarity said. The chariot came to a stop and everyone turned to look at the white unicorn. "Since you're going to Canterlot," she said, unusually hesitant, "I… Hoity Toity's been asking for me to come and give my input on next season's line and…"

"You just want to visit Ashen Blaze, don't you?" Spike asked flatly, looking cross as he thought about the ash-grey unicorn. He ignored the look Twilight shot him.

"Well, it would certainly be nice if I were to run into him," Rarity said, feigning innocence. Spike didn't seem convinced, but he didn't want to act mad toward the white unicorn either, so he simply pouted.

"We can probably carry one more pony," the lead pegasus said, "but we need to return as quickly as possible."

"Thank you," Rarity said, leaping daintily up onto the chariot and sitting down next to Twilight. "We can go now," she declared.

"You don't need to pick anything up from your place?" Twilight asked, knowing how reluctant Rarity was to go anywhere without at least two full saddlebags of hygiene and beauty products and basic sewing equipment.

"No, Ash-, er, Hoity Toity will be quite understanding if I show up with only the ideas in my head." Twilight hid a smile as the chariot began moving and took off into the air, while legions of sarcastic thoughts ran through Spike's head.