• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 1,485 Views, 28 Comments

Breaking the Wall - Radiant Dawn



It is a lesson we all learn early; life is unfair. Oftentimes life gives little to nothing back to reward those who make it through her trials, but that does not keep the strong from hoping.

  • ...
9
 28
 1,485

Chapter 4: Helping a Friend

Chapter 4: Helping a Friend

Big Mac was an easygoing man with simple tastes in life. The love of a good woman, the pride of knowing he had done an honest day’s work, the reminder that he was one of the only people in history to befriend the princesses of Equestria...they were all things he enjoyed about his life. Now though, he found something else that he was quite happy with:

Pinkie was a phenomenal driver.

He knew this not because she used her turn signals religiously, kept both hands on the wheel at all times, or that she followed every traffic law to the letter. Quite the opposite, in fact. No, he knew she was such a good driver because with how fast they were flying down the motorway, she’d have to be just for them not to get killed. Her car, the aptly-named Hellcat, was a monster of a vehicle, and the roar of its twin-magis engine was enough to send shivers down Big Mac’s spine. Currently though, the sheer power of the motor itself was what had him reeling, as the acceleration had him pressed back against his seat as he silently prayed to whatever gods or goddesses there may be. This wasn’t helped by the fact that Pinkie blared power metal the entire time, but he was more focused on surviving, so he ignored it.


When the two of them arrived in the urban city of Manehattan, Big Mac restrained himself from jumping out of the hot pink sports car and kissing the ground, because to do so would be unbecoming of an Apple. Still, he couldn’t help but stumble a bit as his feet found purchase on the ground after the crazy drive, and he subtly leaned against the car itself with a sigh of relief as he looked over the bustling metropolis. His sister had told him of her visit to their aunt and uncle Orange when she was just a young child, but words couldn’t quite describe the sheer size of everything. True that it was nothing compared to Canterlot, but one expected the royal city to be huge. Manehattan, on the other hand, had begun as a simple port town. Its accessibility to the sea, however, allowed it to grow extremely quickly, and within only its first few years as an official city, it became a trading hub for the entire kingdom. It was known as the “city that never sleeps”, and it was likely this was the truth.

Big Mac found it surprising that he wasn’t concerned Pinkie knew people from Manehattan.
Pinkie’s livelihood depended on the positive relationships she held with other people, after all, and the more she knew, the better. She had often commented that she literally knew everyone in Ponyville, and the more Big Mac thought about it, the more he realized she might very well be telling the truth.

“So Pinks,” Big Macintosh began slowly, “where to?”

The young woman made her way to her companion and looped her arm in his before gently ushering him away. “We can walk from here. The guy I’m talking about is just a few blocks away, so after we see him we’ll still have time to get a little lunch before we leave. There’s this really good burger joint I want to take you to. You’ll love it.”

Big Mac was never one to turn down a free meal from Pinkie, so he simply nodded and walked with her as she led them through the bustling city streets. Here, Big Mac could see that nearly everyone owned a car, though he thought there must be more people living here than cars, as she still saw dozens upon dozens walking the sidewalks with him and Pinkie.

“This place is a lot bigger ‘n Ah thought.” he mused aloud to himself, barely able to hear his own voice above the noise of the city.

“Of course it is, Mackie! You’ve never been here before!” Pinkie jovially replied.

He shrugged, realizing she was right. There was only so much words could do to describe something. Seeing such a wondrous city with his own eyes was...well, eye-opening. The bright neon signs and sidewalk barkers were urging him to go to this place or buy that thing, and had it not been for Pinkie gently leading him, he might have obliged.

Suddenly, they turned a corner onto a smaller road that held what looked like a more customary market ‒ the kind he was used to. Pinkie waved happily to the different shopkeepers as they passed, and Big Macintosh realized she must know them, as they waved back.

A moment later, Pinkie stopped in front of a rather unremarkable shop. “We’re here!”

He eyed the dull shop with skepticism, but followed his friend inside as she skipped through the door.

Inside, Big Mac was reminded of an antique store. Scattered about the shop itself was a myriad of different knick-knacks and odd things, only half of which he could even guess the uses of. Not wishing to become lost in the maze of curiosities, he followed his bubbly friend to a short counter, at which sat a rather aged man of stocky physique, who had large round glasses perched on the brim of his nose.

“Hiya, Trailblazer!” Pinkie greeted happily.

The old shopkeeper raised his eyes from the book he was leafing through and smiled when he saw the young woman. “Well now, this is a treat. How nice to see you again, Miss Pie. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Pinkie offered one of her famous bright megawatt smiles and replied, “I need some help for my friend here.”

Trailblazer’s gaze shifted to Big Macintosh. “Oh? And how may I help the both of you?”

“Well,” Pinkie began, chewing on her lip a bit, “Mackie here was invited to Princess Celestia’s birthday, but the problem is that what he wants to get her is pretty rare in Equestria...which is why we’re here.”

The shopkeeper seemed to brighten a bit more at her words. “Well now, I am pleased you thought of me when looking for the rarities of our world. How can I help you?”

“We were looking for some iceberries, Trailblazer.” she explained with the same bright smile.

The old man’s face scrunched up slightly at the words, and he nodded. “I see. Well, you’re in luck. I just came from the northern continents just a week ago. If you’ll give me a few moments, I’ll find them for you.” At this, Trailblazer disappeared behind a door, apparently to look for the rare treat.

Big Macintosh was already smiling though. Once again, his giddy pink-haired friend had come through for him. “Pinks, Ah don’ know what Ah’d do without ya.”

Pinkie’s face softened a few levels as she gently stroked his cheek with her palm. “Don’t worry, Mackie. You won’t ever have to find out.”

Having lost his parents at a young age, the fear of losing those close to him was always a great fear of Big Mac’s. This in turn made it so nice to hear such a thing from one of his oldest friends.

He reached up and grasped her hand in his own, dwarfing it. “Thanks.”

The two released each other before moving over to the shop counter itself, leaning against it as they waited. Or at least they tried to, but it groaned under Big Macintosh’s weight, so he opted to lean against the wall instead. Luckily for them both, the man returned a few moments later with a small wooden chest with a large padlock on the front.

“Now,” the shopkeeper began as he set the chest down, “to a normal customer I would simply sell my wares and that would be the end of it.” He then looked to Pinkie Pie and smiled. “However for you, Miss Pie, I have something special in mind.” The man produced an old iron key and stuck it in the lock, which clicked before opening. He then opened the chest, revealing its shiny contents to his customers. “These are seeds of the iceberry tree. They’re a gift from me to the princess, seeing as how she enjoys the berries so much.”

Pinkie gasped as she looked at the box that was filled with what looked like diamonds, but promptly placed her hand on top of the lid and closed it. “Trailblazer, we can’t accept this. Iceberries are one of your most valuable commodities. I can’t just take this as a gift. This is too much!”

The wizened old man shook his head with a smile and pushed the small chest into Pinkie’s hands. “For the princess, Miss Pie. I insist. That way, she can grow my berries herself during the cold season. She once saved my life and my livelihood, did you know that?” Both Big Mac and Pinkie shook their heads, causing the shopkeeper to smile broadly. “Well, this is my way of showing my gratitude to her.” Not taking no for an answer, he pushed the box firmly into Pinkie’s hands before grabbing another small chest. “Now unfortunately, they take a season to germinate, and I assume she would like to taste some now, yes? So, we still have business to do.” He opened the other box, and both Big Mac and Pinkie were hit by a wave of cold. “This box is enchanted to keep them fresh, and I think this will be more than enough for our lovely princess.”

Inside was nearly two-dozen of the glittering blood-red berries, which was more than most keepers of the berries ever had on hand.

“Now,” Trailblazer began, “with this being a simple business transaction, I must make a profit, so unfortunately I can’t let this go for less than two-hundred bits, and the box is included to preserve them. It’s enchanted to keep them cold, so they will stay fresh as long as you keep it closed.” With that explanation, he closed the box itself and grinned at Big Macintosh. “So, do we have a deal?”

Normally Big Macintosh would have been stuck, as he had barely enough bits to pay for such a thing. Thankfully, he had something else to offer that one couldn’t get anywhere else but Ponyville and Canterlot.

He opened the satchel at his side and dug around for a moment before fishing out a jar that contained rainbow-patterned jam. “How about a trade, sir?”

The old man’s eyes widened at the jar as he stammered, “I-is that Sweet Apple A-Acres Zap Apple Jam!?”

Big Mac smirked and nodded. “Yep. Ah’m Big Macintosh, and mah fam’ly owns that farm. Ain’t nowhere else in tha world yer gonna get Zap Apple Jam, ‘cept from Filthy Rich. Problem is, zap apple season ain’t for another two years, but lucky for you, mah fam’ly keeps a supply fer ourselves while we wait.” He tapped the lid of the jar as he added, “What most people don’ know about this here jam is that it’s got a kick like a pot of coffee, has all tha vitamins yer body needs, and it never goes bad. It’s tha perfect survival food, iffin’ ya find yerself in dire straits.” He pointed to the jar itself. “And that there is enough ta last ya a month if ya needed it to.”

The blue eyes of the shopkeeper seemed to brighten and glitter as he looked at the jar of jam. He weighed his options before realizing the sheer value of what was offered to him. He then looked curiously at Big Mac as he asked, “Are you sure? If what you say is true, you’re offering me quite a bit more than you’re receiving.”

Big Mac nodded with a smile. “Ah’m sure.”

The old man smiled before trading the chest of iceberries for the Zap Apple Jam. “Well, I believe our business in concluded. And thank you, sir.”

Big Mac grabbed the chest and gently placed it within his satchel. “Naw, Ah think Ah should thank you. Princess Celestia’s gonna love these.”

The elder shopkeeper cradled the jar of jam as if it were made of diamonds, and smiled back at the duo. “Well, you better make sure she gets them then. You both have a wonderful day now.”

Pinkie and Big Mac offered a friendly nod and smile each to Trailblazer before leaving the shop, their precious cargo with them as they began to walk towards the main street again.

“Well, that went better than Ah could’a hoped.” Big Macintosh commented with a grin.

Pinkie giggled and nodded as she carefully cradled her own chest. “I told ya, Mackie!” She darted her eyes around as they crested the border into the main street again, and inclined her head to a tall building in front of them. “We’ll eat there before we go. C’mon!”

Big Macintosh jogged to keep up with the girl as she crossed the street and entered the establishment. Immediately, his nose was assaulted with a large variety of smells. Several different types of meat could be picked out, along with the smell of mushrooms, several different types of cheese, fresh vegetables and tomatoes, and the unmistakable scent of frying potato wedges.

“Welcome to heaven, Mackie!” Pinkie gleefully announced as she pulled him to stand in line with her.

A bit dazed from the smells and rustic ‒ and thus, comfortable ‒ décor, it took him a moment to respond. After shaking his head to clear it a bit, Big Mac asked, “Where are we?”

Pinkie giggled and pointed to a large sign that hung in the window. “The Steppenhoof! It’s one of the best place to stop in for a quick bite to eat, and has the most amazing fries you could imagine!”

Just from the scent alone, he was inclined to agree. Even with the loud and hurried atmosphere, Big Macintosh found himself more than willing to wait for the line to move.


It took nearly ten minutes of waiting in line, but finally he and Pinkie were sitting in her car with their meals as they ate and chatted. Much to Big Mac’s delight, his “Meat Mound of Monstrous Mayhem” was a burger to end all burgers. It was juicy, perfectly seasoned, and oh-so flavorful. Never before had he expected any meat to be described as melting in his mouth, but he was glad to be mistaken.

“So, what’s the verdict?” Pinkie asked with an implied grin.

Big Macintosh just barely restrained himself from moaning in pleasure as his taste buds were given a flavorful massage followed by a soak in the amazing meaty juices, but composed himself enough to offer a wink and a nod to his friend.

She giggled as she finished off her own sandwich and stuffed the trash in the grease-stained paper bag. “I knew you would like it.” Pinkie then turned in her seat to look at the tall farmer and asked, “So what are you gonna do when you see the princess?”

Big Mac finished off his own meal and threw the trash away, then turned to his friend. “Ah don’ know. Say hi, Ah guess.”

Pinkie slapped the back of his head and scowled. “You can’t just say ‘hey’ to the princess! You gotta woo her! Show her a good time and dance with her! Then, at the end of the night, maybe she’ll invite you to her bedroom and you-”

“PINKIE!” Big Macintosh shouted as he fought down a very un-manly blush that was threatening to make itself known. “Ah’m not datin’ tha princess!”

She pouted and huffed to herself. “Well not now you aren’t…”

Big Macintosh calmed himself a bit before saying, “Pinks, she’s a splendorem ‒ tha fusion of all three races ‘a people. She’s damn-near a goddess, so I don’ know what makes ya think her ‘n I would ever be together.”

Pinkie Pie rolled her eyes as she retorted, “Well not with that attitude you won’t.”

He sighed and shook his head. “Ah appreciate it, really Ah do, but it ain’t gonna happen. Le’s just go home, Pinks.”

She stared at him for a few moments before slumping her shoulders in defeat and turning the key in the ignition, causing the car to roar to life. Once again she eyed him in her peripheral vision before shaking her head and hitting the gas. She would admit to anyone who asked that she loved Big Mac dearly, but she could also admit that sometimes he could be a little bull-headed.

Okay...a lot bull-headed.

Still, even Pinkie knew what battles to fight, and which to leave for another day. So regretfully, she kept her mouth shut and began the long drive home.