• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 573 Views, 25 Comments

Flower - Nodoga



A young stallion beginning his new life in Ponyville. And maby he finds the love of his life?

  • ...
2
 25
 573

A New Life

He woke slowly and felt the warmth of the sun on his coat. The light blinded him as he opened his eyes. The stallion stretched his forelegs and wings before he stood up and grabbed his saddlebag. The nap under the tree at the roadside recharged his energy so that he could continue his journey.

His name was Flower, sure an unusual name for a stallion, but it's the name he gave himself. Before he got his cutie mark(1), he had no name. The other foals call him blank-flank or freak, and the older ponies called him only kid. After he found out what makes him special, what makes him unique, he decided to make this to his name, Flower.

Flower reached the town entrance from Ponyville. Some ponies do their daily work, and others only hang out with friends. It's a nice and quiet place, the perfect place to start a new life. He walked down the street in the town center to find his target.
After half an hour he gave up and decided to ask somepony. Flower walked up to a sweet unicorn with a purple coat and a blue mane with a pink and violet streak. She read a large book with a star on the cover. “Ahem, excuse me please.”

The Unicorn looked up. “Sure, how can I help you?”

“Can you tell me where I find Sugarcube Corner?”

She turned and pointed with her left hoof in a direction: “Follow this street, at the second crossing you go to the left and then go straight. After a few minutes you're there.”

Flower opened his mouth to say thank you, but he was interrupted as the Unicorn shouted out, “OH SORRY SORRY SORRY, I almost forgot to introduce myself, how rude. My name is Twilight Sparkle.”

Flower looked a bit confused and said in a puzzled tone “H-Hi, my name is Flower, it's a pleasure to meet you.”

“I've never seen you before, it's your first visit in Ponyville?”

He replied quite normally, “Yes, I just got here and I plan to buy me a house because I stay for a while.”

“Fantastic, I'm sure you will love Ponyville.” Twilight smiled at him. “I'm the local librarian, so meet me at the Golden Oaks Library if you need a book or just want to chat.”

Flower replied her statement with a smile “Thanks, I'll swing around sometime.”

He looked at the clock on the town hall. “Oh, sorry I gotta go. Thanks again for the directions. See you later.” Flower would love to chat with his new acquaintance, but he must find his target before the sunset. So he ran in the direction that Twilight pointed at.

She waving farewell and turned back to her book.


After a couple of minutes he saw Sugarcube Corner in front of him. Flower opened the door of the shop and went inside. A small bell over the door made the mare at the counter on the customer attention. She had a blue coat and a scarlet mane and wore an apron.

“Hello, what can I do for you?” said the mare on the counter.

“Hi, I'm looking for a certain mare. Her name is Pinkamena Diane Pie. I was told that she lives here?”

The mare looked a bit confused as if she don't know who I mean, but after a second she said. “Oh, you mean Pinkie Pie? She isn't here at the moment, sorry. She went to one of her friends. I can tell you where she is, if you like.”

Flower nodded and said “Thanks, it would be nice.”


Flower walked down a long road out of town. To his left and right stretched wide fields with apple trees. Under each tree in the left field were some buckets and in the distance he saw a large red-coated stallion which talked to a pink mare.
At the end of the road he saw the place which the mare in Sugercube Corner has called him. On a sign at the entrance stood in large letters 'WELCOME TO SWEET APPLE ACRES'.

Flower entered the courtyard and went up to a mare who kept a nap in the shadow of a big barn. She had a orange coat and wore a brown Stetson-hat. “Hi, excuse me please. Are you Pinkamena Diane Pie?”
The mare woke up and looked up to Flower with sleepy eyes. “What do yah said?”

“I said, are you Pinkamena Diane Pie?”

The mare stood up and said “Nah, but you've just missed her. She had to go to still get something. If yah hurry you can still catch her. Besides, yah can call me Applejack.”

“Where did she go?” Flower was a bit excited so close to his goal.

Applejack thought for a while when she said “She went through the western apple field.” She pointed with her hoof in almost the same direction where Flower come from.

He thought. Could it have been this mare from earlier which talked to this red colt? "Thank you." He turned around and ran toward the exit when he suddenly stopped and called back "Oh, my name is Flower, nice to meet you." He smiled and hurried on.


He ran along the road back to the town. In the distance he could see the silhouette of a pony. But suddenly something slammed into his side and pushing him to the roadside.
Flower tried to stand up but something laying on his back. He looked back over his shoulder and saw a blue-coated Pegasus.“Hey, get off me!” Flower wasn´t amused over losing his target.

The blue Pegasus getting off and helped Flower to stood up “Sorry, I tried a new trick and as I saw you, I couldn't get out of the way quick enough.” She grinned “My name's Rainbow Dash, maybe you heard of me before.”

“YOU are Rainbow Dash?” His anger was totally blown away. “Wow, I saw your Sonic Rainboom at the Best Young Flier Competition in Cloudsdale. It was so awesome.”

“Yeah, I did the Sonic Rainboom. But enough of me, are you injured?” Rainbow looked a bit worried.

Flower smiled at her “No I'm fine, but it looks like I need to keep looking.”

Rainbow looked at him with a inquiring glance “What are you looking for?”

“A mare named Pinkamena Dian Pie, I've been looking half the day after her.” She could clearly see that he was tired about this scavenger hunt.

“Oh, I can help you search if you want, that would be only fair after bumping into you.” Rainbow's cheeks flushed.
“That would be nice, thank you.” Flower smiled thankfully.

“Great!” she flew up in the sky and said, “We'll travel faster in the air than on foot.” She flew up higher but stopped and turned around after she noticed that Flower wasn't following her. “What's wrong, come up here!”

“I- I can't” He sat down and frowned.

Rainbow Dash looked confused down to him “Why? You're a Pegasus like me, or I’m hallucinating.”

It was obvious that Flower doesn´t like talking about his missing flying skill. “No, I am a Pegasus, I can walk on clouds and such things but flying… flying is a bit complicated. I- I don´t want to talk about it now.” When he recovered himself he said “We do it this way, you're in the sky and I can be down here, after an hour we meet us at Sugarcube Corner, ok?”

She was curious about his lack of flight-skill but only said, “That sound like a good plan, but allow me one question. If you can't fly, how did you get up to Cloudsdale?”

“I found two kind Pegasi. After I explained my situation they helped me to get up there and to come back on the ground after the Competition.”

“Oh, okay! See you later.” She vanished into a cloud.


Flower walked on a road towards the Everfree Forest. He searched in the whole town but found nothing. “How could it be so hard to find one single pony?” He asked himself. It was late afternoon and the sun setting already as Flower reached the end of the trail and saw a nice cottage on a tiny hill. In the trees around the house were many nests and bird houses.

He walked up to the door and knocked. He wanted to ask the resident of this cottage if he knew where Pinkamena Diane Pie could be. He waited for three minutes, but no one opened the door. He knocked again but the result was the same. Flower turned around to go back, but then he heard a sweet voice saying “Wait!”

He turned his head and this was the first time he saw Her.

Author's Note:

1. If you wonder how his Cutie Mark could look like, look here: Flower´s Cutie Mark . This pic shows perfectly what i had in mind for him.

Sooo, thats the first chapter. I hope you liked it and please left a comment with your thoughts.
I know it´s not the best Fanfic, but it´s my first try and if i keep going i´m getting better.

And i would be happy if someone could write out possible errors (only if you like) so i can fix them.
English is not my native language, so it´s sometimes hard for me with the grammer and such things but i do my best. :pinkiesad2: