• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 1,045 Views, 10 Comments

Eq. Divided: Sky Dreamer's Journal - PurpleFire18



In the universe of Equestria Divided, the land is torn by war between the mane 6. How could ponies live in such a country, with a raging war? One of them will try to find his way in the war to ultimately pick a side. But is it as easy as it sounds?

  • ...
2
 10
 1,045

City in the Clouds

March 17th, 15 ATD

It has been a while since I've had time to write here, but I've been on the run and lately not much has happened.

A couple days ago I came to a rebel camp far from Canterlot. I had expected a very bad welcome, but they were quick to offer me protection after I explained my tale.

I have been living with them ever since, but I don't want to stay around much longer. Not because I don't like them, in fact, I do, they have been so kind to me that it hurts me to leave them, but I can't help but feel I'll lead the Inquisition to them if I stay.

I think we are close to Cloudsdale, the flying city and capital of House Stormwing. That will be my destination.
I'm sorry, friends, I'll never forget your kindness. And I hope that I didn't endanger you.

***

March 19th, 15 ATD

Cloudsdale, capital of House Stormwing.

After leaving my rebel friends, I found myself witnessing an armed conflict. House Stormwing against House Earthborn. It was the first time I saw a battle without being involved in it. Well...the first one since my father died.

The battle lasted until sunset, and it seemed more like a defense against a very prepared scouting force. After it was over, I was...truly inspired. Not thinking about what they could possibly do to me if they knew I was a Moon and Star slave, I ran up to them.

When I was close enough, they saw me and immediately took a defensive position. In hindsight, my sudden appearance wasn't peaceful at all. It didn't take them long to see I meant no harm. I introduced myself and said I escaped from Moon and Star. As soon as I mentioned that, She appeared.

Rainbow Dash...the element of Loyalty. The fastest pegasus I had ever seen, with her rainbow mane and tail, light blue coat and dark pink eyes. I always admired her, she was my childhood hero. I always thought she was one of the best ponies out there.

Now...the tales from my childhood about her "accident" didn't compare. She was really injured, half of her face was burnt, and her legs had many scars. It pained me to see her in such a state, but my admiration and inspiration made me bow down to her appearance.

She looked at me. I said nothing, all I did was look at the ground as she stood before me. She demanded to know details about my escape, and I couldn't help but tell her everything. Maybe it wasn't a smart thing to do, but none of it was a secret. After I was done explaining, I asked to be let into Cloudsdale, at least for a couple days. Rainbow Dash seemed to be considering my request very carefully. To my fortune, she ordered the troops to bring me with them.

As soon as we got to Cloudsdale, I was amazed. It was nothing like I remembered. As I didn't know my way around, I asked one of the Hoplite pegasi to lead me somewhere I could spend the night in. I expected just some directions, but she instead personally showed me way. Not wanting to make it awkward, I tried to start a conversation as we flied. She wasn't very talkative but she did tell me her name: Rain Cloud. As we got to the place, she told me that if I wanted to stay in Cloudsdale, I'd have to make a choice: to fight for House Stormwing or to be a coward and hide. I could tell that Stormwing was all about military strength. She told me what it meant to belong in Stormwing, what it meant for the pegasi to win this war, and the House's motivation, all in a detailed but short speech.

If it wasn't because I was tired, I would have said "I'm your pegasus" at that exact moment. All I could say, afraid of disappointing her, was simply "I...will have to think about it...and I really can't think being this tired". In reality I realized I did not want to force myself to choose too quickly.

She was disappointed, I could tell, but now that I think about it, she seemed more sad than disappointed. She said goodbye and left quickly. Something about her makes me feel sorry for not giving her the answer she wanted.

***

March 22nd, 15 ATD
After a few days of getting to know Cloudsdale, I happened to see Rain Cloud outside the building I'm currently staying in. To my surprise she wasn't in her Hoplite armor, revealing her body for all to see. I was quite impressed, you wouldn't expect such a beautiful mane and figure to be hidden under such armor.

Her approach was friendlier but still distant, not sure how to explain it myself. I expected her to try to get an answer from me, but gladly she did not bring that up. She said she had the day off and wanted to know how I was doing. I told her I was doing well and we started flying together around the city. I am not comfortable leaving my belongings with others, no matter how safe it might seem, so I had my saddlebags with me all the time, though ironically that made something really important fall off. Rain Cloud quickly got it, though before I had the time to tell her to give it back, she noticed it was a family picture.

It was taken in Old Ponyville, back when I was really young. My father, Cold Feather, and my mother, Silver Petal, were mostly the focus of the picture, I remember the camera was not at the right angle for me to appear entirely. Rain Cloud quickly took notice of that, and I could tell she didn't see me there. She asked who the ponies in the picture were, and I, trying to hold back tears, said they were my parents. She then asked if they were still in Canterlot, apparently referencing my mother being a unicorn, and I was quick to answer that they were dead. She was silent, then handed me the picture. I then told her how my parents died because of one unicorn, whose name I don't care to mention in this journal.

The rest of the time she was near me was awkward, but I admit I'm to blame, after the picture incident I didn't feel very talkative. While we didn't talk, in my mind I had the thought of me joining House Stormwing only to one day make the unicorn, and Twilight, pay for what they did to me. I was shocked by my own thoughts. I, a former slave who tried to escape from the war, wanted to join the battle for the wrong reasons? I tried to shrug it off, and told Rain Cloud I'd return to where I was staying. She seemed to understand, and silently waved her hoof as if saying goodbye. On my way back, the thoughts still came to my mind.

I am really tempted to join Stormwing, even if it means working my already injured body and giving up my life for Rainbow Dash's cause. But, my parents and Thin Veil always told me to have an open mind. I am not sure why, but their words are repeating themselves in my head, together with laughter. Wait, laughter? Why am I hearing laughter in my head? No, that isn't my head...I'm actually hearing laughter below. It's probably nothing, I'll just go to sleep and hope whoever is laughing will stop.

Author's Note:

Third and so far longest chapter. Future chapters will possibly be this long, maybe longer, depending on the situation and events described.