• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 916 Views, 28 Comments

Murder at Maresfield Manor - Flutterguy89



There has been a murder at the home of the prestigious Countess Rarity, and she and her five guests are the only suspects.

  • ...
1
 28
 916

Chapter One: Let the Games Begin

Let the Games Begin

I scowled at the rain outside my carriage window. I hated the cold damp rain that came this time of year. It was late autumn and the leaves had already fallen, leaving nothing to shield the muddy country lane from the drizzle but the graying skeletons of trees. I puffed out a sigh and turned to my companion in the carriage.

“So how much farther is Maresfield?” I asked, attempting to keep my unrelated annoyance with the weather team that had scheduled this downpour out of my voice. The gruff reply that followed alerted me that I wasn't as successful as I would have liked.

“Only a few more minutes, based on what the chief said,” grumbled my companion. He was a chocolate brown earth pony whose raven mane now sported shocks of grey.

“Still a waste of time, if you ask me. We should be dragging the lot of mares in and leaning on them ‘til they break.” He narrowed his eyes at me before adding, “I see no need to come to them, nor to involve any inspectors.”

“You wouldn't, would you, Sergeant Half-Cocked?” I said absentmindedly. The earth pony grunted at me. I doubt you earn a pair of handcuffs as your cutie mark by attempting to acquire the truth by means of finesse. “We are here because the chief realized that despite the waning nature of the Lady Rarity’s influence, she is still technically nobility and should be treated with respect. That means not hauling her back to Manehatten and ‘breaking’ her as you put it.”

The sergeant grumbled something that sounded like “waste of damn time,” but he was at least polite enough voice any further complaints.

The carriage pulled up to the front gates of Maresfield, which opened with an ominous creak. The weather served only to make the shabby grounds appear, well, spooky was likely the best word for it. The distant flashes of lightening threw the overgrown hedges and tarnished statues into sharp relief and the ever present low rumbles of thunder only underscored the dark cause that had necessitated my arrival.

Once the carriage had stopped I turned once more to the Sergeant. “Okay Half-Cocked, I won’t force your assistance in this. In fact, it’s late; take the carriage back to town with the body. I can send a message for you when you are needed.”

He gave me an indignant stare. “You’re trying to get rid of me.”

“Yes, well.... you are already, by your own admission, out of your element. Besides I know your wife hates it when you work these long nights, why not go home, tuck in the foals, and have a little drink with the missus.” I tried to make the offer sound as tempting as I could, but the cold truth was the thought of working this case with Half-Cocked made me want to beat my face into the side of Maresfield until either the brick or my muzzle gave way.

“Fine.” He grumbled and got out of the carriage, holding an umbrella in his teeth. “But you owe me.”

With that I watched him exit the carriage and enter the house. I used by magic to pull out my own umbrella, a coffee brown aura holding it in place over my head as I exited the carriage. I turned and nodded my thanks to the dedicated earth pony team that had pulled us.

I entered the house and stowed my umbrella in a stand by the door, thanking my stars that I had managed not to get too muddy. I’m not vain, but from what I have heard the Lady Rarity is. I needed to be looking my best is I was going to coax anything other than scorn from her. I paused and examined my reflection in one of the mirrors set by the entrance. My mane was a dark coffee brown, matching my magic aura. It was cut short but not too short, my horn just peeking through my somewhat messy bangs. My coat was a ruddy brown that reminded me of clay, and about my muzzle it darkened, making me permanently look as though I needed a shave.

Like I said I’m not vain, but I will admit I do enjoy looking at my reflection. I think it is because I spend entirely too much time in my own head. Seeing myself reminds me that I’m just another pony.

“Well I’m done here,” Half-Cocked said as he passed me in the hall. He carrying a the occupied body bag on his back. Macabre as it may be, the earth pony had no magic to carry the victim out with him, so this was the next best thing to dragging the deceased behind him. “Her name was Derpy, head housekeeper, and as far as I can tell the only employee. Stabbed. I left the murder weapon in an evidence bag on the table. Have fun playing with the fillies, Inspector.”

I stepped aside to let him pass, and attempted to force some good cheer into my voice as I said my farewell, but as usual it came out more sarcastic than intended. “Have fun with the missus, Sergeant.”

----------

The dining room felt warm despite the tragedy that had occurred. Most of the six mares stood in conversation with each other and attempting to defend their own innocence. The exception was a creamy yellow pegasus with a long pink mane who wore a black habit signifying her member ship in the Sisters of Celestia. She was too busy weeping to join the rest of the group in their bickering.

I coughed to signal my presence and decided I had better introduce myself. “Hello, my good mares, I am the duly appointed representative to oversee this investigation, my name is Inspector-”

“Brighteyes!” Everypony in the room jumped and turned to see the timid yellow mare staring at me, a weary smile gracing her features.

“Ah well it seems you and the Sister here are acquainted,” came the cool voice of the Countess. “A fine name I might add. I for one am happy to see a unicorn is charge of this investigation, that earth pony was just so… common.” This last comment earned especially pointed glares from the two earth pony mares.

For my part I simply chuckled. “Yes it is a wonderful name but it’s too bad it isn't mine, Countess. Only the Sisters at the Manehatten Orphanage call me that.” I made my way over to the gentle pegasus, and placed a consoling hoof on her shoulder. “It’s nice to see you again Sister Fluttershy, I’m sorry I haven’t been over to visit much since last Hearth’s Warming Eve. I’m sorry that we have to meet under these tragic circumstances.”

I turned once more to face the assembled ponies. “My name is Inspector Redeye. Shortly I will be calling you all individually for interviews.” I turned to Lady Rarity, “I presume there is a spare room somewhere I can use.”

“Yes, I believe my late husband’s study is vacant.” She replied.

“Good. Good. Now one more thing I’d like to add, I would encourage no one to attempt to leave here until the murderer is found out. To run is to admit guilt. Believe you me, you will not be able to hide from the Princesses’ justice.”

I let this pronouncement hang in the air for a moment.

“Alright then, Lady Rarity, if you’ll come with me you can show me to the study, and you may also have the honor of being my first interview.”

Author's Note:

Hope everyone is enjoying reading this as much as I enjoy writing it. Between this and the other story I am currently writing updates may end up being a bit sporadic in nature, but I will update whenever so don't despair.