• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 632 Views, 33 Comments

For a United Equestria - lulii999



A new villain army attacks Equestria. Equestria gets destroyed. Ponies flee to Crystal Empire. All Empires unite with help from Mane 6. Everyone goes to war. Love, drama, action and adventure stuff happens too.

  • ...
3
 33
 632

Chapter 4: The Unexpected

The trio’s faces whipped around.
Chrysalis”, growled Celestia, glaring up at the Changeling queen’s insectoid physique.
“What have you done to our subjects, y-you monster!” shrieked Luna. “What did they do to deserve the cruelty you have shown them?” said Celestia, rage building up in her by the second.
“As you may recall, Princess,” Chrysalis said, “That it was the love and hope within their hearts that defeated us in the first place”
“But how did you pests even survive? You should’ve been wiped out” said Discord.
“But that’s just it, most of us didn’t. The majority of my Changelings couldn’t handle so much love. Our numbers were dwindling, we were running low on food, then we were struck by an illness. We could no longer feed off emotions. We were starving, until we found a stray pony walking by…and well, I could just say, while he was a handsome lad, his heart was absolutely...delicious.” said Chrysalis, licking her lips, relishing the look on Celestia's face.
“Yes, Princess," she continued, "while we could no longer feast on love like we used to, we developed a taste for its source instead - the heart. We grew stronger, we evolved, and we waited…waited for the right moment to unleash our wrath upon those who dared to challenge us. But now, we shall wait no longer, for that moment has come…Equestria as you know it will fall, and its neighbours will soon follow.”
Changelings were closing in on them.
“And once I devour your heart, Celestia, no one will be able to stop me. The Changelings will rule once and for all.” This was it; Queen Chrysalis had her prize right in front of her, within her grasp.
And for that moment, time seemed to freeze.
Her army braced for her command...


“ATTACK!” shrieked the Queen.
“FOR EQUESTRIA!” yelled Celestia, and with her horn glowing bright with the rays of the Sun, she galloped towards Chrysalis. Shooting everything that got in her way.
Luna and Discord gave loud, echoing battle cries of their own as the swarm surrounded them.
Night was when Luna was most powerful, the moon gave her strength, and with it she galloped towards the Changelings advancing towards her elder sister. Awful were the rattling noises they made with their transparent wings. Nauseating was their breath, which reeked of rotting flesh and blood.
They attacked from everywhere.
Luna shot into the air and solidified her moon’s light into glass-like spears. At breakneck speed her weapons flew. And they shattered as they pierced several Changelings’ necks. Then...
WHAM!
She was attacked from behind in mid-air. The energy from the Changelings’ spells gashed and burned her flesh. She fell to the ground, and saw even more Changelings advancing. She struggled to get up, but the pain reverberating from her shoulder was great. She couldn’t make it in time. She, the Princess of the Night, was going to have her heart ripped out like the others. She was going to lay rotting here with the others.
Then a flash of purple light whizzed by and blasted the nearest Changeling apart. Discord zoomed into Luna’s line of vision, twisting and turning as he blasted spells in every direction, and everywhere, upon collision, Changelings were exploding into bits. Discord landed next to her, "Come on Lulu, no sleeping on the job", stretching out his lion's paw.
With Discord's help Luna got up, looked towards her Celestia and Chrysalis’ epic battle, then rushed forward to help. She was thrown back by a hoard of Changeling soldiers. Sounding a battle cry of her own, she blasted all the soldiers that got in her way, but still there were many more in between her and her sister.
The same could have been said with Discord. With his flexible body he dodged spells coming from the right, left, above, and even below. They were no match for the Spirit of Chaos, who thrived in wreaking havoc once again upon the evil soldiers.

***

Back in Canterlot Castle, Twilight paced through the vast throne room. She couldn’t sit upon Celestia’s throne. It just didn’t feel right. Worried thoughts about her mentor raced through her mind. Where were they? She looked towards the sky, it was nearing 6 o’ clock in the morning. The Sun should have risen by now. Oh, how she wished that they could have taken her with them. One more horn couldn’t hurt. Calm down Twilight, she thought, this was Princess Celestia she was talking about, here, a pony with the full power of the Sun at her command, she couldn’t fall so easily. But what if she did?
Just then, there was a knock at the door. Twilight looked up expectantly, but no colourful flowing mane entered, no beautiful shiny white coat, no magenta eyes to reassure her heart – to tell her everything was going to be okay. No, it was Fluttershy who entered. Twilight’s face fell. Fluttershy stopped dead in her tracks: “Oh, I’m sorry Twilight, this is a bad time, I’ll come back later”
Twilight shook her head vigorously: “Nonono, it’s ok Fluttershy. To be honest...I could use some company. Are you ok?” Fluttershy walked towards Twilight: “Well, I don’t know. I woke up about an hour ago, and I couldn’t really get myself to sleep. And when I saw that you weren’t in your bed, I thought that you’d be in here. So I came to check up on you.”
Twilight smiled, and ran to hug the kind yellow Pegasus. And when she did, tears automatically ran down her cheeks like waterfalls. “Uhh, Twilight?” asked Fluttershy kindly, stroking her friends mane, who kept on weeping, “Wow, you do need company”
Twilight regained her composure and stood up, wiping her tears: “I’m so sorry Fluttershy, I just – I – I’m just s-so worried”.
“About the Princess?”
“Yeah, but not just that, for Equestria, for those who I love, you and the girls, and Spike, and…” Twilight broke off, she couldn’t bear to think of what happened if Shining Armor was hurt.
“...Your brother.” Fluttershy continued. Twilight nodded.
“I’m scared too. But I suppose, if we look at it, our greatest assets are our friends and family. Jewels and castles don’t mean anything without them. Because in the end, that’s all what we’re left with, which is why I’m always thankful to have you, and Rarity, and AppleJack, and Rainbow, and Pinkie”
“And so am I” said Twilight putting her own hoof on Fluttershy’s, “but the Princess…”
“Has her sister and Discord with her,” Fluttershy said, “Luna herself is very powerful, and on top of that Discord’s the Spirit of Chaos, and he needed both the Princesses’ powers in addition to the elements of Harmony to stop him when he was bad. Princess Celestia is well protected.”
“But what if that enemy is stronger? What if they attacked by surprise? What if the Princesses never reached their goal because Discord attacked them halfway?!”
Twilight! Discord’s changed! Just as how Princess Luna changed back to good from her Nightmare Moon days!”
“But –”
“Princess Celestia trusts Discord. I trust Discord. Honestly, Twilight, he’s caused no trouble for over a year now. And, to tell you the truth, I think it’s because he likes Princess Celestia”
“Huh?”
“It’s what I think,” Fluttershy shrugged
Twilight sighed, and paused for a long time.
“I suppose I should trust him, for now at least”, she said eventually
Fluttershy grinned: “I tell you what Twilight, let’s take our minds off this subject. Why don’t we go visit that soldier in the infirmary?”
“Brego?”
“Yeah, you never know, he might enjoy a bit of company” said Fluttershy, beckoning towards the door.
“Yeah, I suppose” said Twilight

They headed off towards the infirmary; Fluttershy holding some freshly cut daisies from the garden for Brego. But when they got to their destination, in horror, their bodies stiffened, their jaws dropped, and their eyes widened...
It looked like a tornado whizzed past the room. Papers were torn and still flying through the air. Shelves and cupboards either partially or completely thrown off their hinges. Their contents, including needles and bandages, were strewn across the floor. Shards of glass from broken bottles of various medicines lay sparkling like razor sharp diamonds. But what really attracted the two ponies’ gazes, was the castle doctor, who’s corpse lay lifeless on the ground. His bright blue coat, like the walls, were stained with his crimson blood, for his chest was broken and lay open for all to see. And his heart was gone. His eyes gazed blankly in their direction, the horror of his last moments clearly reflected in them. Fluttershy dropped the daisies, who's white petals soon became stained with red as a muffled, whimpering noise escaped her.
They looked at each other. Twilight was lost for words. This was bad. This was very, very bad.

***

Chrysalis dodged Celestia’s attack. She retaliated, sending sharp objects towards the Sun Princess. Celestia’s eyes glowed white as she turned them to ash, which then reformed into tiny razor sharp bullets. Chrysalis engulfed herself in green flame and appeared at Celestia’s rear as the bullets hit several soldiers.
Chrysalis aimed for her back, but Celestia shot up into the air, whirled around, and dove at high speeds towards the Queen. Chrysalis aimed, her crooked horn glowing green. But Celestia’s horn shot a beam of sunlight into her eyes, blinding her. Chrysalis missed. And with an explosion they collided. Celestia skidding to a well-controlled stop, watching Chrysalis make a groove in the bloodstained earth as she hit the ground.
Chrysalis shook her head vigorously, and looked up. Princess Celestia was standing above her, wings outstretched. Her many wounds greatly contrasting against her pearly white coat. Around her, Princess Luna and Discord were still fending off advancing soldiers.
“You have brought all this upon yourself.” said Celestia, straining to keep her composure, “You, and your subjects are guilty of enacting deeds of unimaginable cruelty and despair upon not only the ponies of Equestria, but many other races too. Your acts should be punished by death. I however, will not stoop to such a level” The soldiers stopped to watch Celestia confront their Queen. Luna and Discord watched too.
“You will be stripped of your magic powers,” Celestia’s horn shone bright and Chrysalis’ horn snapped as she cried in agony, “And you are to take your subjects away to the lands of Tartarus, where you are to burn for eternity under the guard of Cerberus, away from many innocent lives that you will never harm again. Do I make myself clear?”
“I – yes...” said Chrysalis, then she looked up at Celestia evilly, “...your majesty.” And then she started laughing...

“CELESTIA!” shrieked Luna, galloping as fast as she could. She was too late.
Before Celestia could turn around, there was a flash of green light that collided with her back. Her magenta eyes widened. Her breath was knocked out. She fell to the ground, gasping.
Luna leant over her elder sister. She glared towards Chrysalis, who joined up with Celestia’s attacker. He was a Changeling, as tall as Chrysalis herself. His eyes shone bright red. His mane wild and transparent. And he looked fierce and burly, with sharp spikes protruding on his black, shiny exoskeleton.
“Haven’t you met my husband?” Chrysalis was saying, “King Sanctus? He was one of the first Changelings to have evolved into what we are today.”
“How did you expect our subjects to have increased in number as quickly as they have?” Sanctus was saying with a sly look at his Queen.
“Never mind telling us what you do in your spare time. What did you do to her, monster?” said Discord, stepping in front of the royal pony sisters, his stance wide and his hands glowing with magic, prepared to attack as the Changeling soldiers slowly crept towards them.
“Discord? Why, it’s been too long, friend” said Sanctus
“I’m not your friend, and answer the question, now” said Discord
“Don’t tell me you’ve grown to care for her. My my, spending time with them really has turned you soft.” taunted Sanctus
Discord stiffened and Luna just glared at the Changeling King and Queen
Sanctus scoffed, “Hmph, well, since you asked. I’ve hit her with a dose of Changeling poison. With time she grows weaker, and I, who poisoned her, grow stronger. Within moments, will come the end of the Sun princess as we know it. And the power of the Sun, will belong to me”
“To us?” Chrysalis emphasized
“Well, you’ve got the best part, her heart containing all the love she has for Equestria and her loved ones. And you can have her sister too, once I'm finished with her” said Sanctus, smiling at his queen.
The King and Queen looked towards the trio, grinning evilly. The aura around Discord’s hands grew brighter.
“ATTACK” the King commanded his army
“LUNA!” yelled Discord
Behind Discord's back, Luna’s horn instantly grew bright. With a flash of blinding moonlight, the three of them disappeared, just as the Changeling soldiers swarmed in.

***

“FLUTTERSHY, BEHIND YOU!” Twilight shrieked. Fluttershy flew forward at top speed her screams reverberating off the walls, but the Changeling wasn’t after Fluttershy, it was after Twilight. The mission its Queen entrusted into it, with the promise of the heart of a princess.
It pushed Fluttershy aside, her head hit the wall and she lay limp on the marble floor, a patch of her pink hair growing redder by the second. “FLUTTERSHY!” Twilight screamed. The Changeling looked towards Twilight, whos blood boiled with rage, and chased after her. Twilight shot up into the air, but the Changeling was quick. Instead of crashing into the pillar behind Twilight, it followed her. Spells shot behind her. She dodged them. She was flying so fast, faster than she had ever flown before, twisting and turning to dodge the spells the Changeling shot at her. Taking a deep breath, she turned around and hit the Changeling squarely in the face. And it fell to the floor, dead. It never knew what was coming.
Panting, she ran towards Fluttershy. “Fluttershy? Fluttershy! Wake up!” Twilight was scared.

Then Fluttershy stirred. “Ugh, my head” she said, as Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie galloped into the hall.
“What in the hay is goin’ on?” panted Applejack, frightened. Rainbow flew over to the dead Changeling, “what is a Changeling doing here?”
“I – I don’t know,” Fluttershy was saying, holding a hoof to her head.
“I don’t know how he got in” Twilight said, nudging the Changeling’s body, “Something’s not right”
“That’s what I was going to say,” said Pinkie, “At least that’s what my Pinkie sense i–“
Just then, a blinding light filled the hallway. “TWILIGHT! TWILIGHT! QUICKLY!” a loud voice was calling.
Princess Luna!” said Twilight, and without a moment’s hesitation, she galloped hurriedly towards the throne room, her friends closely following suit.

Author's Note:

It's my first time writing a battle scene.
So I really hope it turned out alright.
All this was written based on the music by this guy, and in particular his new album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuqDj6ppnSk
Please leave comments about this writing style. What did you like and what didn't you like. So I can improve on this style (battle scenes)
And cheesy title is cheesy.

Thank you so much for reading, guys. It means a lot. <3
I feel very warm and fuzzy inside every time I see a view at the very least.