• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 631 Views, 33 Comments

For a United Equestria - lulii999



A new villain army attacks Equestria. Equestria gets destroyed. Ponies flee to Crystal Empire. All Empires unite with help from Mane 6. Everyone goes to war. Love, drama, action and adventure stuff happens too.

  • ...
3
 33
 631

Chapter 1 : Stirrings in the Darkness

It’s been a year since Twilight Sparkle’s coronation, and with each passing day the lavender mare would impress the Princesses a little more with her surprising, improving princess etiquette. Despite still living in Ponyville to be around those closest to her, the times she spent in Canterlot Castle on royal duties like recently at the Equestria Royal Summit made the princesses’ hearts (and even eyes) swim with pride.
Twilight was not the newest edition to the royal “family”, for mere months before her discovery of new magic, Discord had returned on Princess Celestia’s commands - claiming he had changed his ways. Yet Luna, Princess of the Night, still hadn’t trusted him and thus kept a close eye on him in suspicion. She hadn’t forgotten how Equestria was under his rule, with ponies everywhere struggling with simple acts of living, scrounging for food, and dying of thirst while he lounged in his palace, living lavishly. She hadn’t forgotten how he broke her elder sister’s heart when he chose tyranny over her love – and that’s what started the decline between the two siblings’ relationship – only to be completely broken by King Sombra who had come about 6 months afterwards.
And thus, she was afraid that history would repeat itself, that her sister would be so crushed again.
She had found Celestia in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, she looked tired, but instantly perked up upon Luna’s arrival. They had been dealing with some incidences that involved the disappearance of several guard patrols they sent to the East. Some of their best guards hadn’t returned to Canterlot, and in secrecy, the sisters were getting worried.
Discord, who had been living in the castle ever since he reformed (much to Luna’s disapproval), had suggested the idea that there must be some force lurking in the shadows of the East. “Nothing’s there but the ruins of the Changeling Swarm, which Princess Cadence and Shining Armor took care of a couple of years ago” Celestia answered him. Despite that, it was a shadow of a thought in the sisters’ minds that those ruins might have been re-established…for all the wrong reasons.
Celestia walked over her papers, maps, and quills and embraced her sister. “Anything yet?” Luna asked her elder sister. Celestia shook her head, exhaustion evident in her bloodshot eyes: “No, but no matter what clue I find, it always seems to slip halfway through further investigation”
Luna asked: “Have you consulted Twilight Sparkle about this?”
“No!” Celestia said firmly.
“But ‘Tia, you never know,” Luna put a wing around her sister, “she may have had some sightings of trouble down there where she is”.
“No, Luna. If anything had happened in Ponyville, I would’ve seen it. We would’ve seen it.” She gestured to the telescope they used to watch over their land and their subjects: “I do not want Twilight to worry, you know her. She’s got a bit of an OCD when it comes to tasks I assign her”
“You’re mothering her too much” Luna said.
Celestia was silent, she did indeed love Twilight very much; the love a mother would give her daughter. She didn’t want to get Twilight into much trouble.
“Have you at least told Cadence and Shining Armor?” Luna asked.
“I have. And they told me that they’ve scoured the area. They said it can’t be King Sombra” (Luna stiffened) “as there was no sign of him. And even then, they could find traces of anything else looking suspicious…but they said they’ll keep looking”
“And I’ve searched high and low, myself, but not a sign of any mischief” Discord popped up out of nowhere, lounging on Celestia’s throne, drinking a glass of wine.
“Get off there and at least behave in a mood worthy of the seriousness of the situation!” Luna growled.
Celestia put her wing in front of her, “It’s ok, Luna” she looked up at Discord “And Discord, would you please pour me some wine too? I feel like I need a bit”
“But of course, Princess” he said, getting off the throne and bowing dramatically. He snapped his fingers and a golden goblet of white wine materialized in his free hand, which he handed to Celestia “White and sweet, just the way you like it” he added with a wink.
Celestia nodded and thanked him as she took a sip.
Just then, one of the royal guards galloped into the throne room: “Your highnesses, news on the missing patrols. One of the latest patrol’s members has returned.”
The three rulers perked up, “where is he?” Celestia asked
“The infirmary” the guard said. He bowed, and took his leave. Luna, Celestia and Discord looked at each other, and ran to the infirmary.
Celestia immediately recognized the guard, Brego, one of her finest. He was badly wounded, seemed to barely breathe. Celestia used her powers and filled him with the warmth of her Sun, and he immediately jerked awake. “Your highnesses!” he exclaimed, trying to get up to bow. Celestia stopped him, “No need for such formalities here in this state, my dear Brego. What happened? Who did this to you?”
“My lady, it happened so fast. Flashes of darkness. They appeared out of nowhere. They flew like bullets. We had no time to draw swords, let alone turn our heads. Before we knew it, they were upon us. So crude was their sound. The stench of death and of blood upon them. I heard screams and collisions. I heard the sounds of bones being broken, of flesh being torn. I – ” Celestia put her wingtip to his mouth, and he silenced immediately. She couldn’t, she just wouldn’t hear anymore.
“It’s ok, Brego”.
Luna then asked: “Where were you when your patrol was attacked?”
“Towards the East of Equestria, just past the Dragon’s nest”
Luna glanced towards her sister with concern. “Very well, young soldier. Let us leave you now to rest. Thank you very much for your information” said Luna compassionately. Brego nodded his head in respect, and went back to sleep.
The three left the room, “Could it really be the dragons behind all these disappearances?” asked Discord. “But why would they, though? We’ve had peace with the dragons for over a thousand years, why would they attack now?” Celestia pondered. “Unless somepony stirred them up” said Luna, eyeing Discord
Celestia retorted before Discord could respond, “Luna, that’s enough. I trust Discord, he’s on our side now”.
“Besides, the dragons pretty much hate me (“I can’t see how anyone could not” Luna muttered), they wouldn’t cause a rebellion on my behalf even if I did want to usurp the throne” said Discord.
“Well whoever’s behind this, we now know their approximate location” said Celestia.
“So what are we going to do, send our armies? I can have my warriors ready by sunrise” Luna said.
“No Luna, we do not know who or what we’re up against. I will not risk the lives of our soldiers and leave our people defenseless.” Celestia said, walking towards the nearest balcony.
“Then what do you suggest, Celestia?” Discord asked, approaching her with Luna.
Celestia looked up at her sister’s beautiful moon, inhaling, “We go alone, the three of us” she turned to face them, her wings open at full span “and we go in secret, tell no one of this”
“’Tia” Discord said, putting his lion’s paw on her shoulder, “Like you said, we don’t know what’s out there, it’s dangerous, we can’t –”
Celestia looked up at him: “Luna and I swore an oath at our coronation, you swore an oath when you reformed; to perform in the benefit of our subjects and to protect them at all cost”
Luna gave one of her famous majestic looks: “And so I shall, for our people, I will know no fear. I will know no darkness”
Discord sighed, and continued: “And henceforth serve them until whatever end”


Celestia whispered, smiling slightly,
“We leave at midnight”

Author's Note:

It's my very first MLP fic. So I really hope you guys like it. I kinda had the idea for this during my study attempts for this med exam. I was listening to "One Last Letter" by Aviators http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrP79RjS58 and my mind just went soaring. I hope this was an interesting intro, THINGS WILL START TO GET MORE INTERESTING I PROMISE!
It's 1:30 now and I think I must be off to bed now...my vision's starting to get blurry XDD
Cheers!