• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 517 Views, 4 Comments

Feeding on Love - zeldatra



Matt, a cynical unicorn with nopony to care about, finds love in the most unexpected place. Society and Equestrian law both conspire to keep these star-crossed lovers apart. Neither Princess Celestia nor Queen Chrysalis approve of this relationship.

  • ...
6
 4
 517

Chapter 1

Matt did not want to get out of bed today, or any day for that matter. He wanted to spend the entire Tuesday morning in bed. But, like every Tuesday morning, he had to get up bright and early. It wasn't like he had a job or schooling to get to, like most other ponies in Ponyville; his housemate and best friend, Jonathan, would always drag him at 9 o' clock exactly. After all, why would Matt want to vegetate on such a beautiful day?

Matt was an orange unicorn of medium build with messy black hair, a medium length black tail, and a bad attitude, although he was far from what many would call a "badass". His cutie mark --or "butt tattoo", as he likes to call it--was a red circle with a cursive F in the center. He didn't really know what it was. He's had the mark for as long as he's been a pony. Which--and this is what sets Matt apart from other ponies--was not a long time.

Matt was born a human being in Sheridan City, Virginia. He had lived the past 20 or so years blissfully unaware of the existence of other universes and dimensions. Then, on the 28th of October, Hurricane Sandy arrived. It was called the "frankenstorm" by many, due both to the storm's occurrence being so close to Halloween, and due to the storm's convergence with a snowstorm to the west; a deadly combination. It was during this storm that Matt and his two friends, Jonathan and Sebastian, disappeared without a trace. Separately, they each awoke in the Everfree Forest, their bodies morphed to match this world's natural inhabitants. Matt still didn't understand what he did to deserve this. Damned to spend an eternity in a land of colorful horses.

Upon awaking, they each embarked on separate journeys to find out exactly where they were, and, through a series of strange events, they reunited and accidentally defeated a great evil. They were hailed as heroes and given a house in Ponyville. Matt expected to be a celebrity in town, but it seems as if everyone forgot about his deeds overnight. This was another reason to hate this God forsaken place.

With a groan, he got out of bed, glaring at the green pegasus. His brown hair was even messier than Matt's.

"Jonathan, I'm really not in the mood to do anything today." That's never stopped him before.

"You're never in the mood," Jonathan replied.

Well, he has a point there. "Fine. What are we going do today?"

"The same thing we always do, Matt," Jonathan began an imaginary drumroll. "Whatever we want! It's a beautiful day and-"

"Good. I want to go to back to sleep. Good night," Matt flopped over so that he was facing away from Jonathan and closed his eyes again.

"Alright," said Jonathan with a frown, "looks like we'll have to do this the hard way..."


Jonathan and Sebastian grunted as they dragged Matt down the stairs. Their friend, Stormblitz, a grey pegasus, sat and watched; drinking a soda he had stolen from their fridge not five minute ago.

"We appreciate your offer to help," Jonathan said sarcastically, "but I think we got this."

"Ok, thanks!" He left with the soda and a sandwich (which he had also stolen). Jonathan rolled his eyes.

When they had finally gotten Matt downstairs, he stood up.

"Boy Matt, when was the last time you'd weighed yourself? I think you've put on a few-" Jonathan began.

"Don't talk," said Matt in a cranky tone.

"Hey Jonathan, I think Matt's a little crankier than usual today," said Sebastian, a dark blue earth pony with long black hair which falls back, similarly styled to a brown pony with an hourglass cutie mark they'd seen rushing around town. Why he was in such a rush is beyond anypony, but Sebastian thought the way his hair flowed in the wind was so awesome, he decided against cutting his hair to its original, pre-pony length. On Sebastian's flank was a mushroom cloud, which scared quite a few of the neighbors.

"I just don't know what could be wrong with him," said Jonathan as he gazed around the room. Suddenly his large pupils stopped at a calendar. February 14th, 1003 C.E. Oh. "Say Matt," he began, "your depression wouldn't happen to be because it's Hearts and Hooves day, would it?"

"You mean Valentine's Day? No! Of course not... that's..." Matt got quieter. "...ridiculous..."

This was a suddenly starting to make sense to the green pony. "You're upset because it's Hearts and Hooves day and all it does is serve to remind you just how alone you were, are, and always will be, aren't you?"

"Yeah, something like that," Matt said with slight irritation. Was Jonathan attempting to insult him?

"Well why didn't you say so earlier? Sebas, Stormblitz, and I-" Jonathan looked around. Stormblitz was nowhere to be found. "Sebas and I will help you find a nice mare who's okay with your dickish personality!"

"Thanks Jonathan," Matt said sarcastically, "but I don't need you playing matchmaker for me."

"Look," Jonathan began to explain, "I heard there's a party tonight just outside of Ponyville. Real exclusive, invite only."

"Do you have an invitation?"

"No, but we can just sneak in. Anyway, it's at 9 o' clock tonight. What do you say we go there, get a few drinks, party a bit, and if you happen to see a girl you like, go talk to her. What d'ya say, buddy?"

"Well..." It couldn't hurt. Could it? "Fine. But there better be some good music."

***

The three stallions arrived at the agreed upon meeting place, just outside of a house which they had previously believed to be abandoned. But tonight there were lights and music pouring out of the windows.

"Is this the place?" Matt asked apprehensively.

"Yep!" Jonathan replied.

The three friends noticed the bouncer standing outside. He was a rather beefy looking earth pony who could probably pound the three of them in a second. So, they went and found an unlocked window. They climbed in, and stared at awe at the decorations, strobe lights, and music.

They were probably rather early, as not many had shown up yet. The few that had were obscured by artificial fog, probably set to induce a euphoric state of mind.

Matt was able to make out the figures of some females past the fog. As he set out to make conversation, he looked over and saw a lavender unicorn enter the building from the front entrance. Twilight.

What's she doing here? There's no way anyone invited her, he thought. Suddenly, she looked around, making sure that the door was closed. She was then engulfed in a green aura, which dissipated after a few seconds. When she was again visible, her purple coat had been replaced with one that was jet black. Her mane was missing, and her legs were filled with holes. Furthermore, she had grown insect-like wings. Matt looked around; everyone else looked similarly to her.

Oh. That's not good.

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism is welcome!