• Published 23rd Mar 2013
  • 3,254 Views, 21 Comments

The Wings Of A Broken Filly - dragonpony111



Why Scootaloo can't fly. Also an origin story.

  • ...
35
 21
 3,254

Chapter 2: The Unsettling Truth

After she waited nearly an hour for the storm to pass, Nurse Redheart finally gave permission to let Rainbow Dash leave for Cloudsdale. The flight up wasn’t too bad as the storm had settled down to nothing more than a strong breeze. On the way up the orange filly poked her head out of the saddlebag and looked down. She then giggled and gave Rainbow Dash a huge smile as she enjoyed being up in the air. Rainbow Dash returned the smile and kept on flying to Cloudsdale. Upon arriving she quickly got the attention of one of the staff and explained the entire situation. Before taking the filly from Rainbow Dash, the Pegasus nurse asked:

“So what is our little lost filly’s name?”

“Umm, I’m pretty sure it is Scootaloo… I think.”

The nurse walked off down a hallway and Rainbow Dash waited anxiously in the lobby for any news. Roughly twenty minutes later the nurse returned with the bundled up filly and had a puzzled look on her face. Rainbow Dash then flew up to her to hear the news.

“Well this is quite odd, we have no record of any Scootaloos being born here within the past few months, nor any Pegasi with an orange coat and purple mane. You can leave the filly here for a few days and I’ll check the other cloud hospitals to see if Scootaloo was born there.”

“Well, I guess that would be the best thing to do now, but I’ll be back every day to check on Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo just contently stared at the two ponies during the conversation, not knowing most of what was being said, and didn’t have a clue to what was about to happen. Rainbow Dash then looked at Scootaloo and patted her on the head, giving a final goodbye for the night.

“Ma…ma? Mama?”

“No Scootaloo I’m not your… I’ll just be going now, it’s late and my parents must be worried sick."

As Rainbow Dash started to leave the lobby Scootaloo began to cry and reached out to her while shouting “Mama!”. Rainbow Dash didn’t look back but finally managed to let out a single tear before taking off into the night sky. The cyan mare had kept her promise though as she came back every day to see Scootaloo and to check if her parents had been found. Almost a week had passed on the day the news finally came in. The nurse came up to Rainbow Dash as she entered the lobby, and had a dreadful look on her face.

“Hello again Miss Dash, I finally have some news about Scootaloo.”

“Really? Did you find her parents? Where are they?”

“Umm well no, you see the fact of the matter is the other Pegasus hospitals have no record of her birth either. I’m afraid to admit we have an earth born Pegasus on our hands, and an orphan as well.”

“That’s so… so sad. What will happen to her?”

“Well after we give her a clean bill of health, we will be giving her to the care of the Cloudsdale Orphanage for Wayward Foals, and hopefully a nice pony will adopt her.”

“Oh, I see. Well can I visit her one last time?”

“Sure Rainbow Dash, she is in the nursery down the hall to your right.”

Upon entering the nursery Rainbow Dash found Scootaloo’s crib, with Scootaloo snuggled warmly in a blanket and sound asleep. She then leaned over and stroked the sleeping filly’s mane while she said:

“Hey there Scootaloo, It’s Rainbow Dash, this might be the last time we meet, as the nice ponies here are gonna send you to a better place to live; with other foals that are in your umm…”

As Rainbow Dash pondered to find the right words to finish her sentence, the filly woke up and reached up to her again, and then asked:

“Mama?”

“No Scootaloo I’m not your mother! Please stop calling me that, you’re just making this harder for me.”

Scootaloo then cried as she always did this past week every time Rainbow Dash denied being her mother, as she mistook Rainbow Dash’s diligent honesty for repeated rejection. Though all Scootaloo really wanted was her mother, or at least somepony to fill that role. Rainbow Dash then started weeping herself and muttered the words:

“Good… goodbye Scootaloo, stay strong.”

She then started to walk out of the room before one last time Scootaloo cried out:

“MAMA!”

“For the last time Scootaloo, I’M NOT YOUR MOTHER!!!”

Rainbow Dash then quickly flew away with even more tears in her eyes, to get out of range of Scootaloo’s even louder cries. For one last time she then flew to that alleyway where she first found Scootaloo, to remember those few memories of that helpless filly. Rainbow Dash just randomly poked around and to her surprise the stack of newspapers she found Scootaloo hiding in were still there. She ruffled through them and stumbled upon a Wonderbolt plushie, which was in mostly good condition except one of the ears was torn off. Rainbow Dash quickly grabbed the toy and flew off to Rarity’s shop, hoping to get it fixed. Upon entering the store Rarity looked up from her sewing machine.

“Hello Rainbow my darling, what brings you in today?”

“Hi Rarity, I know it isn’t a dress but do you think you can fix this plushie’s ear for me?”

“Why sure Rainbow, I can work wonders with anything that involves a needle and thread.”

Using her magic Rarity takes the plushie from Rainbow Dash and floats all the needed items over to her. With only a few minutes at her machine Rarity had the plushie patched up as good as new. After she floated the plushie back to Rainbow Dash the white mare inquired:

“So is this plushie special to you? I assume so since I know how much of a fan of the Wonderbolts you are.”

“Well actually it is for someone I really care about, so yeah, it is special to me.”

After she thanked her again Rainbow Dash left the store and took off back into the sky to go home.

Author's Note:

More stuff to come, can't wait to finish this story.