• Published 23rd Mar 2013
  • 3,253 Views, 21 Comments

The Wings Of A Broken Filly - dragonpony111



Why Scootaloo can't fly. Also an origin story.

  • ...
35
 21
 3,253

Chapter 1: The Abandoned Filly

Rainbow Dash was practicing her maneuvers after flight-school like she did every day. The mare was tired of being stuck behind all of the other slowpoke Pegasi up in the clouds so she flew lower, beneath the clouds where the skies were mostly empty, save for the occasional flock of birds. Rainbow Dash was flying around Ponyville this night as it was dark and stormy, with the lights from the town helping Rainbow Dash keep track of where the ground was. The speeding Pegasus decided to do one more pass over the town before calling it a night and flew extremely close to the roof tops, for the adrenaline rush. As she was flying Rainbow Dash thought she heard a pony crying but assumed it was just the wind whistling in her ears. Her curiosity got the better of her though and she flew back, and circled around until she could hear the cries again, which came from a dark alleyway.

As soon as the cyan pony touched the ground the crying stopped, that is until another loud crack of thunder filled the air and the crying picked up again for a few moments. Rainbow Dash looked in the direction the sound originated from and nothing seemed out of the ordinary except a shaking newspaper next to a dumpster. As she walked closer the newspaper made the crying sound again as another loud crack of thunder happened, the lightning brightening the sky enough for Rainbow Dash to see that something was definitely hiding under the newspaper. When she finally was only but a foot or two away from the newspaper Rainbow Dash heard some high pitched squeaks which casued her to say:

“Hey will ya calm down I’m not gonna hurt you. Besides you should never fear, for Rainbow Dash is here!”

Rainbow then stepped even closer and used her right wing to shield whatever was there from the rain. Next she lifted up the newspaper to find sitting there, all wet and shivering, a small orange filly, with messy purple hair. The filly looked up at her with a look of fear and confusion in her eyes and reached up to Rainbow Dash.

“Ma… Mama?”

“Woah there squirt I’m not your mom, or anypony else’s for that matter, I’m barely a teenage mare.”

The filly then went from looking afraid and confused to just afraid, and looked around frantically while crying “Mama”. Rainbow Dash almost shed a tear for once, but she held it back. When the little filly began waving her forelegs around in the air Rainbow Dash was able to notice a folded up piece of parchment tied to the right front leg. She then unfolded it and attempted to read it as it had gotten soaked from the rain, which made a good amount of the ink wash away. The readable words in order were:

“Please good home my filly. Her is Scootaloo. Thank”

Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped when she figured out the gravity of the situation. This wasn’t just some filly that got lost in the storm; for whatever reason good or bad, this filly was an abandoned orphan now. She looked back down at the distressed filly and attempted to calm her down.

“There there kiddo, I’ll help you find your mom. Rainbow Dash is on the case!”

The filly’s eyes lit up and widened when Rainbow Dash said that, causing her to reach for the mare again. This time Rainbow Dash scooped up the freezing filly with her right wing and held the filly close to her body. As soon as she felt the warmth of Rainbow Dash’s body the little filly drifted off to sleep as she settled in. With only one wing Rainbow Dash was forced to walk and she started off to go to the Ponyville hospital. Though every time a loud crack of thunder hit the sky the filly would wake up and squirm around while crying for a few moments before going back to sleep; which made Rainbow Dash almost drop her a few times. Upon entering the lobby it was empty and quiet except for Nurse Redheart who was sitting at the front desk. Rainbow Dash ran up and presented the sleeping filly to her.

“Hey nurse, I found this filly all by itself out in the storm, she needs to find her parents.”

After giving the filly a quick look over Nurse Redheart knew the pony was barely a month old and that the hospital it was born at would have her birth records.

“Why thank you miss for bringing her in. As it turns out though she is a newborn Pegasus and thus would have been born at a hospital in the clouds, I’ll have her sent over to Cloudsdale in the morning. I’ll just go put her in a nice warm crib and you can be on your way.”

As Rainbow Dash handed the small filly over and the Nurse began carrying her away, the filly woke up again and looked around confused. She then looked back at Rainbow Dash with the saddest face.

“Hey nurse come back! Just give me a saddlebag and I’ll take her there now myself, the quicker the better.”

“Well okay but please stay here and wait out the storm, it seems to be letting up.”

“Uggh. Fine.”

Rainbow Dash then took a seat in the lobby with Nurse Redheart shortly returning. She had the filly wrapped in a warm blanket and handed her back to Rainbow Dash, who cradled the small bundle in her arms. The filly just continued sleeping for a few minutes but eventually woke up and started crying. Rainbow Dash didn’t know why though as no thunder had gone off, and her futile attempts to calm the baby did nothing.

“Here you go, I think she is just hungry.”

Nurse Redheart walked over and gave Rainbow Dash a fresh bottle of filly formula, before returning to her desk. As she lowered the bottle, the filly instantly noticed it and stopped crying. She tried to grab it but her tiny hooves would only slip, so Rainbow Dash held onto it as the filly began suckling the bottle.

Author's Note:

A Scootaloo origin story, enjoy!