• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 3,462 Views, 83 Comments

The Truth of the Alicorn - ThunderChaserCreate



Twilight learns what an Alicorn really is.

  • ...
56
 83
 3,462

Learning

Celestia was balanced precariously on a rotten board that was so high it was difficult to see her face. I didn't have to see her expression, however, to know that she must be absolutely terrified. She had an odd contraption strapped to her back: made of gears and chains and pulleys with canvas stretched over it. It had two long chains that ran down the length of her front legs, and they had small pedals that were attached to her hooves. When she straightened her legs all the way, the wings folded, moving much in the same way that a pegasus flapped. Theoretically, Celestia would leap into the air and pump her front hooves to move the fake wings, and she would fly. Theoretically. In reality, a pony as young and, admittedly, weak, as her could never move her legs quickly enough to stay aloft.

"Well?" the Professor called up to the terrified pony on the roof, "We're all waiting down here! Show us all that spirit you're so proud to display on the ground." Even from this far off, I could see the Celestia's knees quivering.

"Chip!" The Professor murmured to her partner (though he sometimes seemed more like a pet), "Go up there and make her jump, I don't have time for this." This notion was ridiculous, had she nothing better to do than force filly to jump off a roof?

Chip lurched forward, making his way to a ladder by the side of the building. Celestia's head swiveled from the colt stumbling towards her, to the mare with the twisted grin. She shrunk down smaller and smaller, analyzing every possible escape.

And then, in a haze of fear and confusion, Celestia backed up a few steps, then ran off of the ledge. Her front legs pumped quickly, the wings carrying her several feet through the air. For one moment, it seemed like she might carry herself past the iron gates. But, no such luck. In her desperate movement the chain snagged the skin on her leg, jamming the machine and pulling a good-sized chunk off of her. She cartwheeled through the air, being tossed into the breeze like a rag doll, and making a horrible landing on the point of a decorative piece on the black gate. It sliced a long gash up her back leg and down her side, cutting off half of her tail with it. The brightly- colored hairs floated down upon a motionless body, which had landed on the ground with a sickening thud.

The ponies ran to her, muttering things like, 'Oh my!' and 'Is she okay!?' Some just called her name, over and over. The youngest foal, Thunder Bolt, buried his face in her mane, his body racked by choking sobs. The filly with the book just sat and stared. The twins hugged, crying into each other's shoulders. She was definitely dead, her blood spreading on the yellowed grass beneath us.

I watched from afar, not sure what to say or how to react. I'd only known her for a day, and I doubt the others had known her for much longer, but my stomach dropped into my hooves, and tears burned in my eyes. She had been so brave.

The Professor, emotionless, waved her hoof in the direction of the broken body on the ground. Blood was slowly soaking into the earth, and staining the coats of the foals nearest to her, "Chip, get that thing away from the foals. But keep it inside. I may have some use for it yet."

Some of the very youngest foals clung to the neck of Celestia as Chip started to pull the body toward the door.

"You two!" the Professor flung an accusing point in the direction of the twins, "Get this blood of the fence. We don't need ponies thinking this is some kind of torture chamber, do we?"

One of the foals sniffed back, "With what?"

"I don't give a crap! Use your manes, if you have to!" The Professor shouted, stalking after Chip. She gave a few kicks to the foals still clinging to Celestia until they relented and released their grip.

"She's a monster!" stated the pegasus with the clipped wing. Thunder Bolt nodded, wiping away the last of his tears. A large bruise was forming on his side, where the Professor had kicked him.

"Something needs to be done. There's got to be some way out of here!" I suggested, looking for a possible escape

"Couldn't somepony use magic to open the gate?" the blind colt said, looking off in a strange direction he thought our voices were coming from.

"N-n-none of the u-unicorns know h-how," stated the stuttering unicorn filly.

"And all the pegasi are either too young, or unable to fly,"a filly with a brown mane spoke up.

Before I could think of another idea, the Professor's screeching voice called out, "GET IN HERE, YOU INCOMPETENT IDIOTS!"

The remaining foals flocked to the door, Burnt Oak straggling towards the back. He was the only one of us who hadn't seemed the least bit upset. The twins had finished cleaning the dousing of blood off the fence, and their once beautifully purple manes were now a rusty maroon.

The Professor herded us into the cell, and started to close the door, but she stopped herself and poked her head back inside, "You should consider that a warning. I will decide the fate of all of you, and there's nothing any of you can do about it."