• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 3,462 Views, 83 Comments

The Truth of the Alicorn - ThunderChaserCreate



Twilight learns what an Alicorn really is.

  • ...
56
 83
 3,462

'Prologue' and 'The Letter'

The Truth of the Alicorn

The Alicorn. As far as anypony knows, only royalty can be born as this legendary species. Except me, of course. When I harnessed the magic of friendship, I managed to accomplish something that even Star Swirl the Bearded was unable to nail down in his spells. That's like some random joker (Mr. Cake, for example) finishing Einstein's theories just because he had friends. Which, when you think about it like that, is pretty amazing, and rather impossible.

I might not have been just any old unicorn. I was in fact one of three in the entire known history of Equestria to have a cutie mark of, and a talent in magic. The other two being Trixie (who seems like more of a con artist than a true sorcerer) and Star Swirl himself. I, being 'curious to a fault,' as said by my mother, had always wondered where Alicorns had come from. I always got a vague answer from whoever I asked: “the same place you came from, (insert term of endearment).” Which, of course, confused me further, since now I thought I came from some magical place in the sky or something. I started asking every adult why the Princess could be an Alicorn, but I couldn't. Long story short, I never got my answer, and there were no books to read, and nopony else to ask on the topic. None of the experts had given the idea much thought, so I just went on wondering. After a year or two, other 'I wonders' took it's place, but on the day of my transformation, the idea was renewed. And then, there was the letter from the princess. The one that would lead me to the truth. The truth of the Alicorn.

1

It's been exactly five years since the cutie mark incident, and my metamorphosis. I'm still living in Ponyville of course, but the Princess has long since stopped requiring me to send her letters. After I had written some magic, something that to my knowledge she had never accomplished, she realized that I now knew more than she did on the subject of friendship. In fact, it had been a while since I had received a letter from Celestia; though I didn't think much of it. She only sends me letters in case of emergency, and my friends and I had taken care of all of the looming emergencies. What evil would want to visit a place that has a Princess of Friendship?

Anyhow, earlier today my friends and I had stopped the Cutie Mark Crusaders from releasing an angry dragon, in another attempt to find their talents. The CMC's wrote to me about how they shouldn't endanger other friends just because they wanted something. I had just received Scootaloo's letter from Spike when there was a knock at the door. I glided down from my bed and opened the door, revealing the upside-down, cross-eyed face of Ditzy Doo, the mail pony.

She scrunched her nose and said “Um... I have a, uh, letter for you,” She opened up her saddle bag, dumping the contents all over my front porch.

“Oh.. oops... um, I got it.”

“No, no,” I interrupted, sorting through the letters until I found mine.

“I've got it.” I scooped up all the other letters and tucked them back in her saddle bag, securing the latch.

“See ya later, Derpy.” I expressed by goodbye.

“Duhmmm... okay. G'bye, Alicorn Princess Twilight.”

Before I could protest, she spun off into the night, corkscrewing every which way. I gave a silent prayer to any homes in her way, and went about opening the letter.

It read,

Dear Twilight,

It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of talking to you face to face. I wanted to bring you back to Canterlot, to see you again. And to talk to you about something. There's something that I've been meaning to tell you for some time now, and I haven't quite found a way to say it. Please don't invite your friends though-- I would like to see you alone. Come prepared for a few days, I am unsure about how long this will take.

Your mentor,

Princess Celestia

I flipped the letter over, looking for any more information, but found nothing. I didn't know when she wanted me to come. I didn't know why she had sent it through the regular mail when I had Spike, who would have delivered it much faster. I guess she really didn't want anypony to know about this, and Ditzy was too... preoccupied to really care.

So, the next morning I packed my things, left Spike with a fake testimony with Owlicious, and left for Canterlot. I avoided the gaze of Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Applejack on my way to the train station. I certainly didn't want to have to explain to them that I was receiving secret information that they could never get themselves.

I waited for the train, alone, for the first time ever since I'd come here. It was sad, like those parts in books where the train is always carrying away someone who is deeply loved, and they will soon perish in a war or in some terrible accident. Morbid, I know, but I could only sit and wait for the train to Canterlot and wonder what was going to happen when I reached my destination, and if I would return from the trip at all. Whatever it was Celestia needed to tell me, it sure seemed important, and she definitely didn't want anypony else to even have a chance of hearing it.

Eventually, my train pulled into the station, and I hopped aboard without any hesitation. The train bumped rhythmically along the tracks, my forelock swinging in front of my eyes with each jolt. I was sitting in a car all by myself, which only added to my feeling of utter despair. What could be so important and so secret that my friends couldn't even hear it? Celestia knew that I could trust my life to them, and they'd accept it willingly. So the question was-- what was more important than my life?